Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (168) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5972569 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:53am On May 20, 2015
Paramount group

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:03am On May 20, 2015
Yesterday KAA(kenya airports authority) conducted a mock terror attack drill at JKIA in which the scenario was terrorist had highjacked a plane destined for Malindi(a local town). The attackers demanded food, refuelling facilities and a flight plan to their destination of choice. Police and emergency services then had to be mobilized from there bases to the scene. No civilian was aware that it was a drill, so panic was in full swing

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:08am On May 20, 2015

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:17am On May 20, 2015
SAAF

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:19am On May 20, 2015
More

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:21am On May 20, 2015
Nigerian Navy

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 20, 2015
denisfidha:
Yesterday KAA(kenya airports authority) conducted a mock terror attack drill at JKIA in which the scenario was terrorist had highjacked a plane destined for Malindi(a local town). The attackers demanded food, refuelling facilities and a flight plan to their destination of choice. Police and emergency services then had to be mobilized from there bases to the scene. No civilian was aware that it was a drill, so panic was in full swing

why dont our recce squad have Tactical comms headset gear ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 20, 2015
africaken:
why dont our recce squad have Tactical comms headset gear ?
Underfunding or Lack of need for it, one of those. They do however carry a portable multiband transceiver comms radio connected to a wired earpiece
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 20, 2015
Somalia special forces

!st pic with turkish SF during turkey president visit

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 20, 2015
denisfidha:

Underfunding or Lack of need for it, one of those. They do however carry a portable multiband transceiver comms radio connected to a wired earpiece
never seen any with comms ,compared with somali alpha unit we are not serious

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by dragon2(m): 4:34pm On May 20, 2015
Whenever i see the rooivalk I shake my head. That bird should be the main arrack helio flown in Africa. I'd suggest the SAn's go to the Chinese for an Engine clone/replacement of what they currently use. The sight of it just tells me that we (Africans) can't get our act together. No way will the Chinese have that bird and it won't be mass produced and sold.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 20, 2015
The government of the United Arab Emirates finances a new military training facility for the Somali Armed Forces

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 20, 2015
dragon2:
Whenever i see the rooivalk I shake my head. That bird should be the main arrack helio flown in Africa. I'd suggest the SAn's go to the Chinese for an Engine clone/replacement of what they currently use. The sight of it just tells me that we (Africans) can't get our act together. No way will the Chinese have that bird and it won't be mass produced and sold.
i partly blame south africa, defence matter pakistan and especially turkey have benefited tremendously from arab and muslim countries in the gulf and north africa in selling weapons,equipment and technical support ,because this two counties are using their shared common religion,culture to the benefit of all.in the future this cooperation will continue to grow
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 20, 2015
Henry120:
Nigerian Air force ISTAR up-grade program.
Luxembourg, a leading European based Aviation Company has sought ties with the Nigerian Armed Forces in providing full turnkey Airborne Ground Surveillance and Reconnaissance services (AGSR) to aid flight operations and intelligence gathering, especially in the maritime sector.
http://constative.com/news/cae-aviation-company-seeks-ties-nigerian-military
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 20, 2015
africaken:
never seen any with comms ,compared with somali alpha unit we are not serious

The Somalis probably adopted whatever was used in the country they trained . And the Alpha group is 40 men together with the rest of SF they number 120 And even then, its not always you see them with the headset comms

The recce number 2,000. Take a closer look at recce (sometimes its sun-glass headsets, sometime just portable radios on the chest or at the back) and they carry a puch of tactical door breaching tools which the Alpha unit don't, should we then assume the apha unit is not serious? NO we don't.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:14pm On May 20, 2015
dragon2:
The Chinese received help from SA when developing their Z-10 attack helicopter.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:18pm On May 20, 2015
denisfidha:

The Somalis probably adopted whatever was used in the country they trained . And the Alpha group is 40 men together with the rest of SF they number 120 And even then, its not always you see them with the headset comms

The recce number 2,000. Take a closer look at recce (sometimes its sun-glass headsets, sometime just portable radios) and they carry a puch of tactical door breaching tools which the Alpha unit don't, should we then assume the apha unit is not serious? NO we cant

"mission requirements".
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 20, 2015
jln115:

Do you know of any Oryx operating in the DRC that have been upgraded to Drummer 2 status? As far as i know the project is due for completion early next year, i was just wondering if there are a few units that have already been upgraded that are know in service again.
I asked around and 1 is confirmed; it also doubles up as airborne command and control. And it delivers the goods, from what I hear, much like the guy in the pic. wink

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 20, 2015
MikeCZAR:
"mission requirements".
Year true, the recce are strictly CQB , while the Apha unit is a versatile force, but with most of the war bieng fought in modern settings in Mogadishu, alittle breaching tools might come in handy

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 20, 2015
dragon2:

The South-Africans are entirely to blame for how poor the Rooivalk has done. Not only did they produce so few of them for their own Airforce, their marketing of the bird was extremely naive from the word go.

As soon as they were done with the bird, they immediately ran to Europe to market it. Things aren't done that way, the Europeans already have a plethora of birds to choose from, plus American bullying to contend with.

The innitators of the project had a complete disconnect with Africa, and the program has paid dearly for it.

If the Chinese/Pakistanis/Turks/Indians had built the Rooivalk, it would be the number 1 bird in their various regions.

The Chinese would first have inducted many, and offered the bird straight up to the Pakistanis, then Sri-Lanka, Malaysia, et al would have followed suit.

The Turks/Pakistanis would offer the bird to Saudi-Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, UAE, Morroco, Libya et al....... and so it goes.

South-Africa should have first tried to market the bird at home, Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, Nigeria, would have purchased a significant number of units, with the Helicopter seeing operations in Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria other countries across Asia and South-America would have followed suite.

The South-Africans effectively killed their own program.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 20, 2015
frumentius:

I asked around and 1 is confirmed; it also doubles up as airborne command and control. And it delivers the goods, from what I hear, much like the guy in the pic. wink
Man I would hate to be taken out by that guy. Even God will laugh at me when I get to heaven, he will be like "Merry Christmas!"
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 7:06pm On May 20, 2015
dragon2:

Politics Ruined the Rooivalk Program, and the lack of investment and interest from high up the chain of Command.

American products attract interest because they invest a lot of money and effort into them.

The Rooivalk would have been like the Casspir APC if it had been given more attention.

We all know that the current Rooivalk is only a shadow of what was Originally plan.

Pic: The prototype looked better and had S.A made Optics

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 7:13pm On May 20, 2015
Henry120:

The South-Africans are entirely to blame for how poor the Rooivalk has done. Not only did they produce so few of them for their own Airforce, there marketing of the bird was extremely naive from the word go.

As soon as they were done with the bird, they immediately ran to Europe to market it. Things aren't done that way, the Europeans already have a plethora of birds to choose from, plus American bullying to contend with.

The innitators of the project had a complete disconnect with Africa, and the program has paid dearly for it.

If the Chinese/Pakistanis/Turks/Indians had built the Rooivalk, it would be the number 1 bird in their various regions.

The Chinese would first have inducted many, and offered the bird straight up to the Pakistanis, then Sri-Lanka, Malaysia, et al would have followed suit.

The Turks/Pakistanis would offer the bird to Saudi-Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, UAE, Morroco, Libya et al....... and so it goes.

South-Africa should have first tried to market the bird at home, Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, Nigeria, would have purchased a significant number of units, with the Helicopter seeing operations in Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria other countries across Asia and South-America would have followed suite.

Did you know: Malaysia was in the process of acquiring the helicopter, Madiba even made visit to that country.

But that was soon followed by the late 90s Asian financial crisis.

Don't mention Nigeria!

There was no reason for SA to produce more Rooivalks.

Just like now the priorities of the SAAF is replacing the transport aircraft, new maritime aircraft and more!

The people who had problems with tanks in Angola were the army in 1987 SA tanks were sent for action since world war 2.

Future ops in Angola if the war continued meant SA and UNITA forces would've faced more tanks! In the late 80s FAPLA was able to field 300+ tanks in Southern Angola.

Regarding marketing armscor and the marketing department failed to market aircraft. Even today Denel's marketing department is a mess, by visiting their site you'll see their people lack technical understanding of the systems their marketing.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 7:25pm On May 20, 2015
Centrifude:

Politics Ruined the Rooivalk Program, and the lack of investment and interest from high up the chain of Command.

American products attract interest because they invest a lot of money and effort into them.

The Rooivalk would have been like the Casspir APC if it had been given more attention.

We all know that the current Rooivalk is only a shadow of what was Originally plan.

Pic: The prototype looked better and had S.A made Optics
SAAF had more important projects to channel funds to.

Like:

1. New indigenous fighter jet(Carver project)
2. Upgrading to Mirages and Cheetahs.
3. New missiles. The Kukri was obsolete!

MIGs and Sukhois were the threat to the air force carrying out its ops in Angola not tank or ground targets. Zimbabwe was also interest in getting the MIG-29.

SAAF was still able to penetrate Angola air defences even with the best Cuban air defence units meant to protect Havana around.

The current Mk 1 has SA made optics!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 20, 2015
we need an elite force which is diverse in its skills,considering the recent increase in banditry ,insurgency in the northeast and terrorism in our urban areas

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 20, 2015
MikeCZAR:
Did you know: Malaysia was in the process of acquiring the helicopter, Madiba even made visit to that country.

But that was soon followed by the late 90s Asian financial crisis.

Don't mention Nigeria!

There was no reason for SA to produce more Rooivalks.

Just like now the priorities of the SAAF is replacing the transport aircraft, new maritime aircraft and more!

The people who had problems with tanks in Angola were the army in 1987 SA tanks were sent for action since world war 2.

Future ops in Angola if the war continued meant SA and UNITA forces would've faced more tanks! In the late 80s FAPLA was able to field 300+ tanks in Southern Angola.

Regarding marketing armscor and the marketing department failed to market aircraft. Even today Denel's marketing department is a mess, by visiting their site you'll see their people lack technical understanding of the systems their marketing.
why is it that most african countries are taking their equipments to be overhauled or upgraded in the eastern bloc,europe ,israel e.t.c jobs that could be done by denel !
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 7:53pm On May 20, 2015
denisfidha:

The recce number 2,000. Take a closer look at recce (sometimes its sun-glass headsets, sometime just portable radios on the chest or at the back) and they carry a puch of tactical door breaching tools which the Alpha unit don't, should we then assume the apha unit is not serious? NO we don't.

These guys "SF" looks more of kenya SF,I dought if they are somalia SF !
Especially those with the camouflage jacket and green trousers ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 7:54pm On May 20, 2015
africaken:
why is it that most african countries are taking their equipments to be overhauled or upgraded in the eastern bloc,europe ,israel e.t.c jobs that could be done by denel !
Affordability.

And preference.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by docmoses(m): 8:03pm On May 20, 2015
i was here
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 20, 2015
frumentius:

Thanks Mate! appreciate the feedback!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 10:27pm On May 20, 2015
Two gripens landed at the Eros airport today....My one colleague told me that they're on their way to Gabarone(Apparently Botswana is interested in acquiring the gripen fighter)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:18pm On May 20, 2015
gottfried21:
Two gripens landed at the Eros airport today....My one colleague told me that they're on their way to Gabarone(Apparently Botswana is interested in acquiring the gripen fighter)

They've been eyeing the fighter for a long time, plus Saab has an office in Gabarone.

(1) (2) (3) ... (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.