Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,687 members, 7,816,798 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (180) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5965817 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:21am On Jun 17, 2015
Nigeria

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 1:33pm On Jun 17, 2015
Henry120:
Nigeria
Na Wa Oh.....this alpha jet never reach NAIJA up till now
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 17, 2015
jteku:

Na Wa Oh.....this alpha jet never reach NAIJA up till now

They have since arrived.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 4:17pm On Jun 17, 2015
Henry120:
Nigerian Air Force Delegation discussing with Pakistani Air force JF-17 delegation at the Paris Air Show.
yoga henroo u read any meaning in dat
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 17, 2015
giles14:
yoga henroo u read any meaning in dat

Nope!! I no get strength to dey speculate up and down.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 17, 2015
Henry120:

They have since arrived.
our L-39 albatross have been busy ,i have see them taking off from kano ,at least thrice daily for the past five days.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 17, 2015
Nigerdeltaboi:
our L-39 albatross have been busy ,i have see them taking off from kano ,at least thrice daily for the past five days.

They've always been very active in COIN operations. However, they are mostly based in Yola instead of Maiduguri.

* I'm referring to those used for COIN in the N.E.

I just hope we can sign a deal for a proper 4 GEN fighter soon. I favour the J-10B over any other fighter in the market, but it looking increasing likely that we are going to get the JF-17.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by realnas(m): 6:18pm On Jun 17, 2015
Henry120:

They've always been very active in COIN operations. However, they are mostly based in Yola instead of Maiduguri.

I just hope we can sign a deal for a proper 4 GEN fighter soon. I favour the J-10B over any other fighter in the market, but it looking increasing likely that we are going to get the JF-17.
the su 25 frogfoot still remains the king of close air support it is a ppity our govt doesn't want to buy it, I mean this is an aircraft that has an armoured cockpit that can withstand hits from 23 mm anti aircraft cannons something which is widely used by the terrorists
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 17, 2015
Henry120:

yeah the jf thunder seems likely for us.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by dalumoat(m): 9:34pm On Jun 17, 2015
I would have preferred the Gripen
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 9:48pm On Jun 17, 2015
realnas:
the su 25 frogfoot still remains the king of close air support it is a ppity our govt doesn't want to buy it, I mean this is an aircraft that has an armoured cockpit that can withstand hits from 23 mm anti aircraft cannons something which is widely used by the terrorists
But his it still in production ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jun 17, 2015
realnas:
The frog-foot is probably the best CAS, however at the price Arthur Eze is quoting for 6 units and there accompanying structure is just absurd.

We won't be getting any SU-25's.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 17, 2015
dalumoat:
I would have preferred the Gripen

This is because, i've photo-bombed you with multiple images of SAAF Gripen fighters.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by dalumoat(m): 12:02am On Jun 18, 2015
Lol and also because it's a cheap tested alternative
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:15am On Jun 18, 2015
dalumoat:
Lol and also because it's a cheap tested alternative

It isn't cheap, it costs 60 million a pop. At that price it is more expensive than a J-10B, SU-30MKI, MIG-35. Fighters that a way more capable than the Gripen C/D.

The JF-17 and Gripen are very similar fighters in general characteristics. It is considered the direct competition of the Gripen.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:43am On Jun 18, 2015
Henry120:

It isn't cheap, it costs 60 million a pop. At that price it is more expensive than a J-10B, SU-30MKI, MIG-35. Fighters that a way more capable than the Gripen C/D.

The JF-17 and Gripen are very similar fighters in general characteristics. It is considered the direct competition of the Gripen.
Operating costs are lower compared to all 4th Generation fighters.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 18, 2015
kikuyu1:

THANKS! Just read that story.Actually by now we should be licence building our own transports and ships! IMHO,KAFTECH and the Numerical Machining Plant which has the tech to produce jet engines are wayyyyyy underutilised.

year, I heard the boss was fired for failing to fabricate engine parts for Laikipia airbase, the delay went on for six months!, all the machines he needed were there, he just had poor management. after that it was put under new management in 2013, I hope the next guy is passionate and ambitius, that piece of 1500 acres (if I rem correctly) could be the heartbeat of our industrialization goals

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 18, 2015
I came by this blog about the Gripen..... Intresting
http://gripen4canada..com/p/the-saab-gripen-ng-capable-and.html
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 18, 2015
Nigerian Air Force F-7 Pilot

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
denisfidha:
I came by this blog about the Gripen..... Intresting
http://gripen4canada..com/p/the-saab-gripen-ng-capable-and.html

I continued to look for African countries who are in the process of acqiring new fighters for replacements and I landed on this janes article About the gripen, Apparently , Kenya,Namibia,Botswana all have shown some interests in the C/D http://www.janes.com/article/52239/paris-air-show-2015-saab-sees-continued-future-for-gripen-c-d-combat-aircraft
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2015
Henry120:

1. Yes, Gripen has a high unit cost. But compared to Western fighters of its age and role, it is cheap.
1a. It is also the cheapest of all Western fighters to operate and maintain with "wet" costs coming to $5000 per flight hour
2. The JF-17 is no where near the Gripen, its on par with the F16 Block 40.
3. The JF-17 is, in no way shape or form, considered to be direct competition with the Gripen
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:42pm On Jun 18, 2015
denisfidha:

I continued to look for African countries who are in the process of acqiring new fighters for replacements and I landed on this janes article About the gripen, Apparently , Kenya,Namibia,Botswana all have shown some interests in the C/D http://www.janes.com/article/52239/paris-air-show-2015-saab-sees-continued-future-for-gripen-c-d-combat-aircraft

SADAC aligned nations operating the same fighter makes sense.

Training, maintenance and weapons development can all be done right next door in South Africa and SAABs plans for a fighter school are still floating around (Thailand was a fail)

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:46pm On Jun 18, 2015
bidexiii:
#Nigeria Army officers assessing the #Pakistan Heavy
Industries Taxila Dragoon Armoured Security Vehicle for
PKOs &IS pic.twitter.com/fDkaRyFNbq

"its totally not a copy of Pic related, we promise!!"

Jokes aside, if it is anything like the Gage Commando it is a very good possibility.

Light, well protected, well armed and mobile as hell... just the thing that is needed in Africa

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:49pm On Jun 18, 2015
bidexiii:

I don't know why african armies still buy tracked armored vehicles ? If I get u right !

But you know a tracked armored vehicle as a greater advantage than wheeled armored vehicle . For wheeled vehicles there tyres are always a soft spot and tracked vehicles are rugged come desert or forest terrain as compared to wheeled vehicles !

Tracked vehicals lack mobility and are heavy on logistics.

Africa has two things: space and a lack of infrastructure.

If you can exploit the space, and are not held back by the lack of infrastructure you will be at a massive operational advantage.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2015
Patchesagain:

1. Yes, Gripen has a high unit cost. But compared to Western fighters of its age and role, it is cheap.
1a. It is also the cheapest of all Western fighters to operate and maintain with "wet" costs coming to $5000 per flight hour
2. The JF-17 is no where near the Gripen, its on par with the F16 Block 40.
3. The JF-17 is, in no way shape or form, considered to be direct competition with the Gripen

The JF-17 block II is ahead of the Gripen C/D, it is the block I that is considered to be similar to the Gripen in characteristics. Their specs are widely available and has been posted multiple times in the other thread.

I'm not even going to have this debate with you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2015
Patchesagain:

SADAC aligned nations operating the same fighter makes sense.

Training, maintenance and weapons development can all be done right next door in South Africa and SAABs plans for a fighter school are still floating around (Thailand was a fail)

Any final deal will probably happen somewhere from 2018-2019
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:57pm On Jun 18, 2015
africaken:
there are so many of this tracked vehicle which the former soviet army had amassed and now russia and former east block countries are refurbishing them and selling at a throwaway prices

Throwaway prices for equipment worthy of being thrown away.

Buying yesterdays equipment (even if refurbished) for todays wars is not how you build an army of the future.

China offers a plethora of modern wheeled and tracked vehicals that are offered at very affordable prices.

IMO (as I have said many times), nigeria should get a brigades worth of ZBD2000's for the delta or expeditionary operations and then order the ZBL-09 as the standard IFV of the Nigerian military.

ZBL-09 is in my mind the only modern peice of Chinese equipment that is a direct and clear match for western equipment, and it is significantly cheaper

Modern, capable, cheap and designed to be (relatively) low maintenance - its the future i tell you!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 1:01pm On Jun 18, 2015
Henry120:

The JF-17 block II is ahead of the Gripen C/D, it is the block I that is considered to be similar to the Gripen in characteristics. Their specs are widely available and has been posted multiple times in the other thread.

I'm not even going to have this debate with you.

Look, you can think whatever you want, if you want to think that the JF-17 is on par with the Gripen or that the Block 2 is better than the Gripen - you can go ahead and think that.

What is important here is that you say "I think it is simular to the Gripen" or "I think the JF-17 block II is ahead of the Gripen C/D"

It is not a fact, it is your opinion

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 18, 2015
Patchesagain:

Look, you can think whatever you want, if you want to think that the JF-17 is on par with the Gripen or that the Block 2 is better than the Gripen - you can go ahead and think that.

What is important here is that you say "I think it is simular to the Gripen" or "I think the JF-17 block II is ahead of the Gripen C/D"

It is not a fact, it is your opinion

You are poorly informed, i'm not going to have this debate with you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 1:11pm On Jun 18, 2015
bidexiii:

Wheeled vehicles are light and they possess mobility yet they av limited in desert area the tyres get inmersed in desert dunes and they are soft targets to disable them
Wheeled vehicles do not dare thick swampy or thick forest terrain !

Tracked vehicles are heavy but it all about the design they av powefull engines to propelles them like the T-90, they cll it the flying tank, the ahbrams is heavy yet in desert area wheeled vehicles are no match to them !
In thick vegetation they crush every thing on there part ! Except for some western tanks/vehicles that can't swim and that's why I like russian technology there tracked vehicles r no match come desert or thick vegetation !

I think its safe to say that the Chadians have proven that wheeled vehicles are perfect for the desert (Same with the SAS in WW2)

I agree, in swamps or jungles tracked vehicals are at a disadvantage - but then again, any vehical will be (tanks werent too popular withe the Americans or NVA during veitnam)

Wheeled vehicles are the way forward, speed, mobility and a small logistical trail (due to their high range) makes them amazing vehicals for operations in about 60% of the African battlespace

However, IMO, it is all about balance. Tracked vehicles are inevitable and wheeled vehicals are essential, so the balance struck is based on the geography you expect to operate in - and internal op's in Nigeria would largely be suited to wheeled vehicals.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 1:12pm On Jun 18, 2015
Henry120:

You are poorly informed, i'm not going to have this debate with you.

I am not inviting you to debate.

I am simply informing you that you should not pose opinion as fact.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 1:17pm On Jun 18, 2015
stillchris:

Dude. Nigeria is not south Africa

Different climate

Different environment

And different military requirements

What Nigeria acquires is not for SANDF.

There are areas in the sambisa forest that are marshy and not accessible to wheeled vehicles. So our requirements are diverse.

I told you to stop acting like you know stuff cos most times you come off sounding ignorant.

Your knowledge seems to be confined to south African affairs

About 2/3 of Nigeria looks like perfect country for wheeled operations

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.