Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,813 members, 7,817,359 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5967349 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2015
Jimmy, that's a Steyr SSG-69.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 29, 2015
gottfried21:
Interesting story! shocked
A BDF helicopter patrolling the Nam/Bots Border

Its a good thing they ddint confront the BDF which was carrying out the actions on the Botswana side of the border.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 29, 2015
UgandaPeopleDefenceForce overruns Al-shabaab camp

UPDF soldiers under the African Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) have liberated Tortorow, a town in the lower Shabelle region of Somalia, overrunning an Al-shabaab camp in the process.

In the Al-shabaab camp, the UPDF soldiers under Battle Group Fifteen stumbled upon an assortment of material.

According to battalion commander, Col. Silvio Aguma, the Al-shabaab Al-shabaab camp was stocked with a range of assorted items like sugar (750kgs), salt (150kgs) wheat flour (600kgs), rice (900kgs), cooking palm oil (550 liters) and 01 AK47 Riffle with 41 rounds.

Tortorow, with a population of about 5,000 residents had been used as a base for militants from where they trained fighters and imposed taxes on the local farmers' livestock and crop.
http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/670303-updf-overruns-al-shabaab-camp.html
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 29, 2015
pic 1:Namibian Air Force pilots with former president and former chief of defence force
pic 2:Namibian Navy nammacura with a fisheries patrol vessel

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 10:47pm On Jun 29, 2015
Top ranking ISTAR aircraft in Africa - Highlights of the NAF ATR-42 Surveyor

+ Radar range 407 km
+ Radar modes : Sea/Ground/Land search and Air search
+ Radar scan : 360 degrees surveillance
+ Radar TWS : 200 targets
+ Radar capabilities : Anti-ECCM jamming avoidance
+ Primary role: Surface search/ISTAR
+ Secondary role : mini-AWACS
+ Electronic Support Measures advanced and basic ECM
+ ELINT capability
+ Data links
+ Patrol time : 11 hours
+ Day/Night/Bad weather target operations
+ TV camera colour
+ Long range TV camera black and white
+ Target/Image size magnification
+ FLIR
+ Multiple computer consoles for ATOS mission management systems
+ Service history : Anti-Piracy ops Gulf Of Guinea, Boko Haram War Nigeria
+ Number in service : 2 examples
+ Numbers planned for acquisition : 9 examples

This aircraft put's Africa's military proudly on the world map of continents that parade top class ISTAR aircraft enabled with ELINT capabilities

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 29, 2015
Namibian Air Force Z-9

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:16am On Jun 30, 2015
Tanzanian Army Type59G MBT

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 1:52am On Jun 30, 2015
ViceAdmiral:

Its a good thing they ddint confront the BDF which was carrying out the actions on the Botswana side of the border.
Kasikili/Sedudu
Part 2?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 4:44am On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

Those ATGM in the videos are up against old school RHA 1st generation obsolete T-72 tanks that the US army defeated in Iraq 1990, they are T-72 tanks of 1970s era with ordinary steel armour.

2nd generation T-72 tanks with properly built ERA protection will not be torn apart from turret to hull, the reactive armour stops penetration of first hit by the missile, depending on the calibre of ATGM though. Aggressor needs second missile shot on same spot as the first to penetrate the T-72 ERA armour, or you must do precision/lucky hit targeting of the soft spots like matings between the hull and turret.

Judging T-72 tanks by assessing the 1970s obsolete RHA armour variants is a wrong analysis of the tank, modernized T-72 have ERA and some further upgraded models with laser warning will alert the tank crew to deploy smoke to blind enemy laser ATGM.

Not the best tank in town, but T-72 with ERA and extras is not an easy foe to defeat unless it's fighting a very technologically advanced enemy.
The precursor warhead peels the ERA.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 4:48am On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

Those ATGM in the videos are up against old school RHA 1st generation obsolete T-72 tanks that the US army defeated in Iraq 1990, they are T-72 tanks of 1970s era with ordinary steel armour.

2nd generation T-72 tanks with properly built ERA protection will not be torn apart from turret to hull, the reactive armour stops penetration of first hit by the missile, depending on the calibre of ATGM though. Aggressor needs second missile shot on same spot as the first to penetrate the T-72 ERA armour, or you must do precision/lucky hit targeting of the soft spots like matings between the hull and turret.

Judging T-72 tanks by assessing the 1970s obsolete RHA armour variants is a wrong analysis of the tank, modernized T-72 have ERA and some further upgraded models with laser warning will alert the tank crew to deploy smoke to blind enemy laser ATGM.

Not the best tank in town, but T-72 with ERA and extras is not an easy foe to defeat unless it's fighting a very technologically advanced enemy.
Laser guided missiles like the SA Ingwe are difficult to jam.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:30am On Jun 30, 2015
agaugust:

+ Radar range 407 km
+ ELINT capability
+ Data links
+ TV camera colour
+ FLIR

This aircraft put's Africa's military proudly on the world map of continents that parade top class ISTAR aircraft enabled with ELINT capabilities
grin grin grin LOL

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 7:15am On Jun 30, 2015
MikeCZAR:
grin grin grin LOL

?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 7:15am On Jun 30, 2015
MikeCZAR:
grin grin grin LOL
What. ,,,,,n ? split it out !!!!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 30, 2015
Kenya Navy Utility Vessel

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 30, 2015
bidexiii:

?
Well for one, it doesn't have a 407km radar range

And the radar TWS is only 32 targets, not 200.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 30, 2015
denisfidha:
Kenya Navy Utility Vessel

We(SANDF) need a proper LHD, can't remember if the Defence Review stipulated the need for one though?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 30, 2015
agaugust:

+ Radar range 407 km
+ ELINT capability
+ Data links
+ TV camera colour
+ FLIR

seriously!

this is an American RC-12N Guardrail Common Sensor aircraft,An signal/electronic intelligence gathering aircraft .that nigerian ATR-42 Surveyor doesn't have such capability,where are the antennae.i also told you your FLIR pod is old,you need to upgrade .

if you want an upgrade call this guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGktlqf25bQ

American RC-12N Guardrail Common Sensor aircraft

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 30, 2015
MikeCZAR:
Laser guided missiles like the SA Ingwe are difficult to jam.
there are several soft kill active protection system on the market,here are two of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAmSxYuVY54

Shtora

Shtora (Russian: Штора, "curtain"wink is an electro-optical active protection system or suite for tanks, designed to disrupt the laser target designation and rangefinders of incoming anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs). The system is mounted on the Russian T-80 and T-90 series tanks, the Ukrainian T-84 and the Serbian M-84AS.
linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtora
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by AugustineAgain: 12:51pm On Jun 30, 2015
jln115:

Well for one, it doesn't have a 407km radar range

And the radar TWS is only 32 targets, not 200.

It does, your info is wrong. I have the radar name and specs. I don't want argument on this thread, but if the forums asks me for proof, I will post manufacturer's sources for NAF-ATR-42 Surveyor to prove all the highlights I posted
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

It does, your info is wrong. I have the radar name and specs. I don't want argument on this thread, but if the forums asks me for proof, I will post manufacturer's sources for NAF-ATR-42 Surveyor to prove all the highlights I posted
I'll go first: www.atraircraft.com>downlod_center

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by AugustineAgain: 1:20pm On Jun 30, 2015
africaken:
seriously!

this is an American RC-12N Guardrail Common Sensor aircraft,An signal/electronic intelligence gathering aircraft .that nigerian ATR-42 Surveyor doesn't have such capability,where are the antennae.i also told you your FLIR pod is old,you need to upgrade .

Don't confuse SIGNIT different elements of COMINT vs ELINT.

You posted an American RC-12N aircraft enhanced for COMINT not ISTAR enhanced, where is it's ground search radar ?

It's folly to compare ATR-42 to that type of 'radar-less' aircraft you posted, that's a mere army only aircraft, it's useless to navy and air force, it cannot do ISTAR and AWAC roles like the ATR-42.

ELINT is complemented by the SATCOM dome atop the spine of NAF ATR-42.

Does RAF Sentinel have all those antennae on the American plane ? Yet the Sentinel is likely the best ISTAR platform in this world.

Old FLIR ? ATR-42 Surveyor is a modern aircraft that came into operation in year 2008, the FLIR is also 2008, is that what you call old ?

Please find another customer to send to those your guys for FLIR upgrade, NAF ATR-42 is good with it's year 2008 ultra-modern FLIR.

All your points are incorrect, sorry sir.

By the way, why is every non-Nigerian obsessed with NAF ATR-42 Surveyor? Any good post on it's awesome capability provokes an attack !

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by AugustineAgain: 1:23pm On Jun 30, 2015
jln115:

I'll go first: www.atraircraft.com>downlod_center

Your weblink does not open
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

Your weblink does not open
Jap sorry mate.
It's a PDF and I can't seem to copy the weblink on my phone, I'll post it tomorrow when I have my laptop...anyway you can try to get the PDF file on www.atraircraft.com not sure if it will work though.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by AugustineAgain: 3:11pm On Jun 30, 2015
jln115:

Jap sorry mate.
It's a PDF and I can't seem to copy the weblink on my phone, I'll post it tomorrow when I have my laptop...anyway you can try to get the PDF file on www.atraircraft.com not sure if it will work though.

There is nothing there that shows ATR-42 radar range and tracking specs. Quote the data if you have it, and tell us what page on that PDF
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2015
agaugust:

+ Radar range 407 km
+ ELINT capability
+ Data links
+ TV camera colour
+ FLIR

MPA platform
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:
Tanzanian Army Type59G MBT

T-54 looks seexy with all that added armor
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2015
jln115:

We(SANDF) need a proper LHD, can't remember if the Defence Review stipulated the need for one though?

It said 3

It has been investigated under Project Millennium

Doubt we will every see a true LHD though, let alone three.

Probably something limited like the Endurance class LPD

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2015
africaken:
seriously!

This has been a common statemnt on the other thread
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:20pm On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

Post it

We have asked many many times
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

By the way, why is every non-Nigerian obsessed with NAF ATR-42 Surveyor? Any good post on it's awesome capability provokes an attack !

Because the capabilities you post do not exist
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by AugustineAgain: 3:24pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

Because the capabilities you post do not exist

All 20 capabilities and info do not exist for ATR-42 Surveryor?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by AugustineAgain: 3:27pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

MPA platform

Primary MPA + Primary ELINT ISTAR + Secondary AWACS multi-role platform.

Hero of ground battles against Boko Haram, leading battlefield surveillance, command and control. War history proves that to the whole world

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.