Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5965634 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:10pm On Aug 30, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
NAF Mi-17's will carry something similar to the bombs on these Mi-24s
Thanks Man and @africaken
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 30, 2016
patches689:

Those are the scaffolds for the RIB fast-deployment equipment the CSIR designed
That doesn't look like the Davit system to me, now I'm not saying its a new asm but it does look diffrent!

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 30, 2016
andrewza:

They dont have a new ASMs.
Any idea what it could be?? Because its to large to be the davit system.

SAS Spioenkop with the davit system....taken just three days before the previous photos

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 30, 2016
tdayof:
Any news about ARADU? Has it been decommissioned finally or will be going for refit?

A fully fit Aradu is one of the most powerful ships in Nigeria. The boat has at-least 20-25 years of service in her. When the refit is finally done, we would know.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 30, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
NAF Mi-17's will carry something similar to the bombs on these Mi-24s

Man, please post that Air Force video here. I've been unble to view it on your page.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 30, 2016
tdayof:
Here is a perfect example of what i had in mind about the NESL question i asked.

A good Seaward Defence Boat, IPV or MPV or whatever name individual countries decide to call that class of vessel has to be between 35 meters - 45 meters. 50 meters would also do.

Senegal's Navy OPV190 is 58 meters in length. It looks aesthetically beautiful, but can it do the job it has been built for...... I don't think so. NESL in theory can design and build vessels like that, however in reality, they would not. The largest for that class NESL would build is 50 meters.

At 58 meters OPV190 is too small to be a proper ocean going patrol ship, it lacks the tonnage and length to be effective and at that size, it is too big to be an inshore patrol vessel.

So, it's actually stuck.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 11:01pm On Aug 30, 2016
lionel4power:
The way the NA use armored vehicles...

go to a conflict zone and park it in one T junction.

Almost all of us has come across one Armored vehicle in a junction in nigeria.

the last NIGER DELTA crises there was no known use of IED. although it is a wise move to deploy them im advance.

Niger delta militants fight in a semi-conventional warfare pattern. they do not initiate contact but grab, hold and defend ground.

airpower will come in handy here.

But I see recommend dialogue. this could end up a
long protracted conflict which Nigeria for not need now.
good comment moving a heavy vehicle to a swampy area is funny.unless d mraps wouldn't be used in d oncoming offensive
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 30, 2016
Henry240:

Man, please post that Air Force video here. I've been unble to view it on your page.

I couldn't find the original version by da kingsman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtH1OBJ5Y7Y
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:22am On Aug 31, 2016
senior officers land cruiser SUV

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 6:10am On Aug 31, 2016
africaken254:
are you implying nigeria army can't service and maintain Caterpillar C7 heavy-duty diesel 6 cylinder engine!

No

What I said is pretty clear.

Stop looking for insults where none were given

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 31, 2016
jakeporeshenko:

I couldn't find the original version by dakingsman. https://yH1OBJ5Y7Y
Oh.... I even thought it was a new video. Thanks anyway.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 31, 2016
Senegal Air Force MI-35p with FLIR

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 31, 2016
Nigerian army

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 31, 2016
Nigerian navy NNS Thunder

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 31, 2016
Nigerian Air Force

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by M14A1: 10:11am On Aug 31, 2016
The UK RAF Lossiemouth ground force troops were recently in Nigeria to train Nigerian troops

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by M14A1: 10:17am On Aug 31, 2016
More

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 10:54am On Aug 31, 2016
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 11:04am On Aug 31, 2016
Henry240:

A good Seaward Defence Boat, IPV or MPV or whatever name individual countries decide to call that class of vessel has to be between 35 meters - 45 meters. 50 meters would also do.

Senegal's Navy OPV190 is 58 meters in length. It looks aesthetically beautiful, but can it do the job it has been built for...... I don't think so. NESL in theory can design and build vessels like that, however in reality, they would not. The largest for that class NESL would build is 50 meters.

At 58 meters OPV190 is too small to be a proper ocean going patrol ship, it lacks the tonnage and length to be effective and at that size, it is too big to be an inshore patrol vessel.

So, it's actually stuck.

I disagree

The OPV 190 is a 58 m (190 foot) long, 9.4 metre wide vessel made from aluminium for less corrosion and lighter weight. Its shallow draft (2.3 metres) allows operation close to the shore. It has a crew of 30 but can take 24 passengers on board. Range is between 4 and 5 000 km at 12 knots, while maximum speed is 30 knots. Endurance is three weeks.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by rugged7(m): 11:25am On Aug 31, 2016
STOP posting terrorist propaganda here angry

Tinfoil:
westgate

https://videopress.com/v/BYQBQQAY
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 31, 2016

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 31, 2016
patches689:

I disagree

The OPV 190 is a 58 m (190 foot) long, 9.4 metre wide vessel made from aluminium for less corrosion and lighter weight. Its shallow draft (2.3 metres) allows operation close to the shore. It has a crew of 30 but can take 24 passengers on board. Range is between 4 and 5 000 km at 12 knots, while maximum speed is 30 knots. Endurance is three weeks.

Off-course you would disagree. However i stated a generally accepted industry classification for those types of vessels. Vessels such as the Hamina class and Korean navy PKX use water jets that allow them patrol in very shallow waters.

The last public white paper from the Nigerian navy indicated that Vessels above 50 meters are not suitable for Inshore patrols. I don't need a white paper to tell me that at 58 meters, vessels would lack the tonnage to be proper seagoing.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 31, 2016
M14A1:
i
Cool images.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:00pm On Aug 31, 2016
Henry240:

Off-course you would disagree. However i stated a generally accepted industry classification for those types of vessels. Vessels such as the Hamina class and Korean navy PKX use water jets that allow them patrol in very shallow waters.

The last public white paper from the Nigerian navy indicated that Vessels above 50 meters are not suitable for Inshore patrols. I don't need a white paper to tell me that at 58 meters, vessels would lack the tonnage to be proper seagoing.

Yes, of course I do because this is the second time in two days you have passed off your opinion as fact

First... The little warrior class which is also 58m does just fine patrolling some of the roughest waters in the world. The waters off Senegal are not rough enough to say that their vessel is not suited to patrolling their 200nm EEZ.

Third... Draught is 2m on that ship - so it can operate in waters that are 2.5m or deeper (depending on their safety margins). That is very shallow. Length has nothing to do with it.

They got what they need, its very fast, has an exellent range, can carry a large compliment of men and it is within their means.

It is a fine vessel.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 31, 2016
patches689:

No

What I said is pretty clear.

Stop looking for insults where none were given
isn't this your statement you only have a couple dozen of them so its unlikely that you will have many mechanics that are familiar/qualified to work on them, and I doubt you have vast quantities of spares for them !!!! both uganda and burundi have a few Cougar MRAPs ,which they are utilising efficiently in somalia. you can't compare some of the isolated outposts in somalia where AMISOM is deployed and where nigeria army are deploying MRAPS in Northeastern nigeria
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:47pm On Aug 31, 2016
africaken254:
isn't this your statement you only have a couple dozen of them so its unlikely that you will have many mechanics that are familiar/qualified to work on them, and I doubt you have vast quantities of spares for them !!!!

and what did I go on to say after that?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 31, 2016
patches689:

and what did I go on to say after that?
a nigeria army mechanic can maintain and service a Cummins GBT - 5.9 TC 6-cylinder in-line water-cooled direct-injection turbocharged diesel engine e.t.c but not a Caterpillar C7 Heavy Duty Diesel, 6-Cylinder, Fuel-Injected Turbocharged and Aftercooled grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 31, 2016
patches689:

Yes, of course I do because this is the second time in two days you have passed off your opinion as fact

First... The little warrior class which is also 58m does just fine patrolling some of the roughest waters in the world. The waters off Senegal are not rough enough to say that their vessel is not suited to patrolling their 200nm EEZ.

Third... Draught is 2m on that ship - so it can operate in waters that are 2.5m or deeper (depending on their safety margins). That is very shallow. Length has nothing to do with it.

They got what they need, its very fast, has an exellent range, can carry a large compliment of men and it is within their means.

It is a fine vessel.

Since i'm not an expert, let's see what the experts have to say. The following are some of the reasons OPV190 would not be suitable for close shore patrols.

*Defence analyst and former Defence Review
committee member Helmoed Romer Heitman

"However, when it comes to the inshore patrol vessels (IPVs),
Heitman is of the opinion that "the three 60 m IPVs now
envisaged as part of Biro are an embarrassing misstep by
the Navy and will be an entirely pointless expenditure,"
because, "at 60 m they will be too large and complex to be
the 'cheap and cheerful' equivalent to the old SDPs, to be
used for close inshore work and more importantly to train
and develop officers and ratings...At 60 m they will be too
small to be really useful (the strike craft were good special
operations platforms, but had the speed and the self-
defence capability these vessels will lack."

Heitman goes on to suggest that the IPV requirement should
be revisited to develop a vessel of somewhere around 30 to
40 m, "

"They are equipped with water jets
instead of propellers, which allow them to operate in very
shallow waters and accelerate, slow down and turn in
unconventional ways."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamina-class_missile_boat
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 31, 2016
M14A1:

Sorry for the repost, i found a much larger image.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:44pm On Aug 31, 2016
Henry240:

Since i'm not an expert, let's see what the experts have to say. The following are some of the reasons OPV190 would not be suitable for close shore patrols.

*Defence analyst and former Defence Review
committee member Helmoed Romer Heitman

"However, when it comes to the inshore patrol vessels (IPVs),
Heitman is of the opinion that "the three 60 m IPVs now
envisaged as part of Biro are an embarrassing misstep by
the Navy and will be an entirely pointless expenditure,"
because, "at 60 m they will be too large and complex to be
the 'cheap and cheerful' equivalent to the old SDPs, to be
used for close inshore work and more importantly to train
and develop officers and ratings...At 60 m they will be too
small to be really useful (the strike craft were good special
operations platforms, but had the speed and the self-
defence capability these vessels will lack."

Heitman goes on to suggest that the IPV requirement should
be revisited to develop a vessel of somewhere around 30 to
40 m, "

"They are equipped with water jets
instead of propellers, which allow them to operate in very
shallow waters and accelerate, slow down and turn in
unconventional ways."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamina-class_missile_boat

lol I knew this was where you were getting your ideas from.

Heitmann is talking about South African OPV's and with in a South African naval context - due to the extremely rough waters off of our coast and due to the vastly different role that our OPV's and IPV's will play (compared to Senegal).

The needs of SAN =/= The needs of Senegal

The fact that South African Admirals (actual Naval Officers and Planners) are looking at vessels of that size suggests that Heitmann (an Army guy) is wrong.

Hamina-Class is a strike craft not an OPV/IPV

Finally:

- P400-class OPV (French Navy) 54m
- Cyclone Class OPV (USN) 53m
- Gumdoksuri-class OPV (RKN) 63m
- Hayabusa-class OPV (JMSDF) 50m

Plenty of major Navies consider 50-60m as a perfectly acceptable OPV size.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:05pm On Aug 31, 2016
africaken254:
a nigeria army mechanic can maintain and service a Cummins GBT - 5.9 TC 6-cylinder in-line water-cooled direct-injection turbocharged diesel engine e.t.c but not a Caterpillar C7 Heavy Duty Diesel, 6-Cylinder, Fuel-Injected Turbocharged and Aftercooled grin grin grin grin

Does he carry the parts for both around in his backpack?

And yes, Diesel engines are extremely difficult to work on. Hence a Diesel mechanic for Scania has a two year internship and is qualified only to work on Scania engines, for example.

Again, you guys are looking to start a fight over nothing. Its sad really.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 31, 2016
patches689:

Hamina-Class is a strike craft not an OPV/IPV

Finally:

- P400-class OPV (French Navy) 54m
- Cyclone Class OPV (USN) 53m
- Gumdoksuri-class OPV (RKN) 63m
- Hayabusa-class OPV (JMSDF) 50m

Plenty of major Navies consider 50-60m as a perfectly acceptable OPV size.

-Hamina is a Fast Attack Craft which is also designed for patrols.

- Cyclone is a littoral patrol craft deployed it is not an OPV.

- Vessels that are 63 meters are OPVs, that's a Corvette size ship

- Hayabusa-class, that's a patrol boat class of the JMSDF, they aren't considered to be an OPV.

- P400-class are not proper sea going vessels, they are designed to patrol EEZ of user Nations.

You succeeded in listing a bunch of MPVs, not OPVs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.