Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,068 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one (27171 Views)

Knowledge Is Power / Knowledge Is Power! Lets Talk About SAP! / The Fallacy Of Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by JhyMedex: 11:45am On Oct 07, 2014
Wetin consyn me... reading 4 d sake of d New vocab am learning undecided
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by kelvOdanz(m): 11:49am On Oct 07, 2014
SaintChukz:
Do you know it is sheer arrogance to want to force your own beliefs and opinion on others?
He knows and seem to enjoy it. Those jumping behind him also know, but the fact they see themselves in him makes him a temporary cult hero

SaintChukz:
If truth is to come from only one source, what then is the credibility of such truth when it hasn't been tested by others?
Something he will never stoop low to accept. "There is no absolute truth!! The statement itself is not absolutely true!!

Let me cite an instance with the knowledge of languages. Few years ago, I got quite fascinated with Chinese because I got involved with Chinese movies. I set out to learn the language, it was tough and almost silly given that I never had any plans of travelling to China or getting involved with anything that has to do with China(It was absolutely out of curiosity and the fact that I was idle at home).

Fastfoward---Ladt year I joined AIESEC in school and was in charge of international relations focused mainly on student exchange. In my work, I met and interviewed over a hundred Chinese students. My Chinese was so so poor but imagine the fascination at someone from far off Africa speaking/understanding your language. It helped me a great deal and it still does.

I could cite several other instances. The point is, for you to validate that statement if yours, you have to get us a copy of the FUTURE!! Until then, I feel you are rather pontificating!!

p.s, I am not saying the statement is absolutely true. No statement or argument is absolutely true---That applies to your rebuttal of the statement

4 Likes

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by UjSizzle(f): 12:02pm On Oct 07, 2014
Like Sherlock Holmes would say, you only have so much space in your brain to store anything. Why stock up with irrelevant information that's got no direct relationship with what you want do with your life?
Despite being a fictional character, the dude was absolutely great at what he did and pretty much clueless about everything else.

1 Like

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by REMMEI(m): 12:06pm On Oct 07, 2014
Besides the OP.. I'm so blessed to read some comments coming out from intelligent Nairalanders..OP.. upon all the vesting of your grammatical prowess you still sounds unintelligent.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by UjSizzle(f): 12:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
doncheks:
This brings to mind
Slum Dog Millionaire.

Quite different scenario. There's a difference between deliberately setting out to garner knowledge about things, and picking up knowledge about things along the way. The man you refer to did the latter not the former.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Ybholy(m): 12:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
In this age of dominant social media,does it matter whether or not your websites are properly optimized for search?

Believe it or not, yes If your main site functions as your prime source for e-commerce and a point of contact for your business, it is important that customers can find it via search if they do not patronize your social channels.

While it is good to have a strong marketing strategy with Twitter and Facebook, you should not neglect your main site, or rely upon them to drive your traffic.

Organic SEO still holds value in this changing world of online commerce and marketing. Why maintain good organic SEO practices for your website?

It seems easier to tweet out new content and upload videos to YouTube, doesn’t it?

While the Internet gives us the advantage of obtaining information practically at the speed of light, the transfer of news and viral curiosities
happens at such an abbreviated pace Our attention spans appear truncated as we dish out and receive news in 140 character bites.

Eventually, though, if you sell a product or service potential customers will want thorough details.

Therefore, it is important that your main website is prepared to accommodate visitors.

You must continue good SEO practices– proper tagging of photos, meta data,and links – to give your company the edge over your competitors:

<ul><li>Outbound linking to relevant information can boost your authority</li><li>Naturally you will have links to your social profiles prominent, but don’t forget inbound link that takes visitors deep into your site</li><li> Robots continue to crawl the Web as well, so keep your code clean for them</li><li> Tag photos accordingly for added search mojo, and make sure your content is sufficiently peppered with your keywords</li><li> Structure pages so that content is easily to find, and that your site is
easily navigable</li><li> Remember what was said about short attention spans: if you don’t have the offer up front people are not likely to search creation for it.</li></ul>

One thing to bear in mind when optimizing your site for good search results is that the more attention you give it, the more likely the major engines will pay attention to your activities, in a good way If you have a blog attached to your site that is updated regularly, all the better The influx of fresh content helps keep your site relevant and gives people a reason to return Organic SEO remains a factor in your online success.

A must read: <a href="http://.com/2014/10/06/windows-10/">Windows 10 is around the corner</a>
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by kittykat1(f): 12:18pm On Oct 07, 2014
SaintChukz:
@ Op...i think in one full swoop you have succeeded in contrasting your own opinion in the initial post. In the opening line you opined that -no knowledge is wasted appears to you as axiomatic and as arguably sacrosanct, and in your last line statement you then went on to say that it would be stellar to have a "smattering" of many things. Now, with emphasis on the word "smattering", i'm trying hard to figure out how you would have done that if no single amount of time was put into it to gather the little knowledge you termed "smattering". Mind you the knowledge of a thing doesn't have to be acquired in full for you to term it actual knowledge. You also opined that having a particular knowledge of a thing that has no modicum or bearing on what the future tends to hold for you is sheer waste of time because you may never get to use it. I would say you were wrong there in that assertion because, how would you actually get to know what lies ahead of you when you haven't even gotten there? Or do you have a foreseer gift of telling what the future will bring? In my own candid opinion, i would rather opine that no knowledge is actually wasted until it is left unused. It has to be so because you never can tell when that little "survival skill" you garnered at one time or the other would become very handy to you at a critical point in your life, so i would rather not dismiss any knowledge no matter how irrelevant it may seem at a particular time on the premise that it is never going to be useful to me, when i know we all live in a constantly dynamic world. Finally, i think it is best to make myself feel "important" at any particular stage in life rather than feel "impotent" at a near unforeseeable stage in the future.
Well written

1 Like

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by kittykat1(f): 12:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
RentedReality:
-----------------------------------------------
For example, I don't see how the knowledge of how to prepare a cake or sew clothes would have a significant bearing on my life if I were a lawyer. This is truer given that I may never get the time to come and be sewing clothes or making cakes for either myself or family.
Even if I would get to use them in future, wouldn't it be once in a blue moon as in Ben Carson's case.

Imagine this scenario: your client who's a tailor commits a crime in his shop and in order to defend him based on a technicality, wouldn't it be useful if you had working knowledge of what he does?

Even if it happens once in a blue moon, the fact is it served its purpose and so therefore was not wasted.

I disagree with your logic, you might have to rethink this.

Too many cerebral ppl on this thread. Very nice arguments from both sides
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by kolinz(m): 12:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
SaintChukz:
Do you know it is sheer arrogance to want to force your own beliefs and opinion on others? Please define truth for me? What is truth to you may not necessary be the universal truth to others. Stop for a minute and try to view the world through the eyes of others with recourse to your own views. On the pitman shorthand example you cited, what if you are appointed tomorrow to a position in government circles that would require the use of such a skill or is that not a possibility as well? Again citing the example of the relevance of the spanish language vis-a-vis the Hausa language doesn't even hold a bearing on this discussion for the following reasons ; (1) The Spanish language was propagated by Missionaries, Merchants and Slave masters from the Spanish kingdom to several other nations where they traded centuries ago hence the wide coverage of the language, was the hausa language propagated in a such manner? (2.) if you are an indigent hausa born, would you require going through extra-mural lessons to learn it? It is with the coming of globalization that we are now beginning to see the need to learn foreign languages, i once watched a feature on tv where a european man living in Northern Nigeria could speak not only hausa language but also the native indigent language of the people he was living amongst. So it should be same for you, if you will be going abroad, you can always learn the language when you get there, but then when you get back home and you no longer have a need of that language you learnt, would you call it a waste of knowledge? When it wasn't during the period you needed it, so why should it become a waste now that you don't need it? In countries like America and Canada that are predominantly english speaking, do you know that the knowledge of the spanish language would still be an invaluable asset to you, because as far as i know there are still a sizable number of spanish speaking communities in those countries. If truth is to come from only one source, what then is the credibility of such truth when it hasn't been tested by others?
-
U dont seem to understand exactly what the op was trying to say.
It simply means that one should have direction and focus. Then determine the neccessary skills and knowlege required to get to ur destination.
Why spend valuable time simply to be known as jack of all trades and mastering non?
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
Both OP and @SaintChukz have genuine points which appears cognate but they have both failed to realise this.

Back to topic; The submission that no knowledge is lost is very valid in my accession but also bearing in mind the concept of opportunity cost. You dont have to waste your time learning things which you might not need in the nearest future - this is only true if there is the opportunity to learn something new (At the same time of the former) which you think might be more useful to you in the nearest future.

1. Take the case where there is a one day training program on how to make beads (or any other not too important training) organised in your workplace.
2. You are an engineer but you have been nominated to go for this on day program.
3. You can chose not to go and remain in the office.
4. There are no other RELEVANT training on that same day.

Given the above scenario, WHAT WILL YOU DO?

1 Like

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by thoexynne: 12:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
redcliff:

[size=14pt]with this post of yours, its safe to say you are intelligently dumb[/size]

"Educate a fool. Annd you'll have an intelligent fool". A. Einstein

No offense @op, not that I owe you an apology

Nothing is foolhardy to reasoning than sheer arrogance, your assertion is as equally fallacious as the maxim itself, as no truth is absolute in itself. Because to all assertions there are conditions
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by effervescent(m): 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2014
SaintChukz. An adept n succinct verdict!:
@ Op...i think in one full swoop you have succeeded in contrasting your own opinion in the initial post. In the opening line you opined that -no knowledge is wasted appears to you as axiomatic and as arguably sacrosanct, and in your last line statement you then went on to say that it would be stellar to have a "smattering" of many things. Now, with emphasis on the word "smattering", i'm trying hard to figure out how you would have done that if no single amount of time was put into it to gather the little knowledge you termed "smattering". Mind you the knowledge of a thing doesn't have to be acquired in full for you to term it actual knowledge. You also opined that having a particular knowledge of a thing that has no modicum or bearing on what the future tends to hold for you is sheer waste of time because you may never get to use it. I would say you were wrong there in that assertion because, how would you actually get to know what lies ahead of you when you haven't even gotten there? Or do you have a foreseer gift of telling what the future will bring? In my own candid opinion, i would rather opine that no knowledge is actually wasted until it is left unused. It has to be so because you never can tell when that little "survival skill" you garnered at one time or the other would become very handy to you at a critical point in your life, so i would rather not dismiss any knowledge no matter how irrelevant it may seem at a particular time on the premise that it is never going to be useful to me, when i know we all live in a constantly dynamic world. Finally, i think it is best to make myself feel "important" at any particular stage in life rather than feel "impotent" at a near unforeseeable stage in the future.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by israel7732: 12:33pm On Oct 07, 2014
Every knowledge has it's application.
but be wise enough to prioritize.
In the end you will end up applying very LESS THAN FIVE PERCENT of all the knowledge you acquired.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by nkemakonem: 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
Yeah! some knowledge are really irrelevant as the; in the long run degenarate and become vestigal.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Meklex(m): 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2014
Some knowledge are sheer waste putting into consideration the opportunity cost involved, just in the case of our universities, where you offer some courses of zero relevance to your chosen field.
I believe so much on the concept of specialization, even our professors adopt the same concept (professor of a specific area of study)..
That's exactly the reason why the American kid knows what he wants in life and specializes on it to attain success.
Concentration breeds success.
Quote for the day: you can't be white and black, you're either white or black.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by RentedReality(m): 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2014
I just realized that this thread is just a show of intellect.

It looks like a gathering of University professors or maybe just mechanics with dictionaries angry

Really big words flying around.

1 Like

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Gynacologist(m): 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
SaintChukz:
dis dude just bombed dis trade........lukin for any dude frm delta new around.....nid some1 to kip me compani in nid of a job...
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by ITbomb(m): 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
When you acquire knowledge about something , even when you are not using it, you will be more comfortable when something about it is mentioned in the course of your career .
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by oluxy(m): 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
Serendipity:
Undoubtedly the saying that no knowledge is wasted appears axiomatic and arguably sacrosanct.
=
In his book ''Think Big'', (pp. 200-212) Ben Carson argues that you never can know what you will be doing fifteen years from now hence one should grab every available knowledge.
=
He cited an incident where he was before an interviewer who mentioned en passe that he had heard about a concert and he also quipped that he too had heard about it which visibly left the interviewer surprised and they then started discussing classical music..
He contends that that knowlege of classical music was instrumental in his success in that interview.
=
=
MY OPINION
Methinks that having or acquiring some knowledge is sheer and utter waste of scarce time and resources.
-----------------------------------------------
For example, I don't see how the knowledge of how to prepare a cake or sew clothes would have a significant bearing on my life if I were a lawyer. This is truer given that I may never get the time to come and be sewing clothes or making cakes for either myself or family.
Even if I would get to use them in future, wouldn't it be once in a blue moon as in Ben Carson's case.
---------------------------------------------
In high school, I was very good at the use of Pitman Shorthand. An aeon has elapsed since I left junior secondary, and I have never got to use not even a vestige of the knowledge I acquired in that subject.
=

Again, acquiring some of this otiose and apparently irrelevant knowledge may be at the expense of knowledge which would have been more apt and handy. In other words, you may be wasting time acquiring knowledge that has not even a modicum bearing on your life or knowledge you may never get to use due to your discipline.
=
At any rate, I suggest that it would be stellar to have a smattering of many things.
=
Your methodical views are welcome!

Having knowledge on first aid, is it a waste to know or does it not concerned any disciplines?

Having d knowledge doesn't implies you must work with it. You may have the knowledge of how to sew a cloth yet you are a lawyer but someday; when your tailor or designer sew less satisfactory cloth for you; you would beable to correct he/she that; this is how you should have done it. Put this like this, remove this and adjust this like this.

You are able to know that because you had once been and have the knowledge.

Having knowledge on something implies an ability to know positive and negative, good and bad, conscious and unconscious, design etc on it just incase such thing occures in future.

The american soldiers are trained on and to have knowledge on medical, geographical, war, capturing, swimming etc.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Skii(m): 1:11pm On Oct 07, 2014
WOW!! so you mean, up until september 2013, Nairaland still had a couple of people making reasonable and intelligent arguements? shocked
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Yakzo(m): 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2014
Op, when i decided to make the dictionary a vade mecum (patrick Obahiagbon on mind now), i never knew that words like: en passant, aeon and otiose could look ordinary. How is my effort a waste even though i didn't study English as a course. Again, is it enpasse or en passant?
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by cdoffx(m): 1:21pm On Oct 07, 2014

Now how do you reconcile the example of Pitman Shorthand that I cited with your rejoinder?
have you thought of being in an association or organisation and being made the General secretary? even though you dont necessarily need the pitman shorthand knowledge to perform your functions, could it not be an added advantage to make your work easier.

Now as regard the opportunity cost idea in knowledge acquisition, you are right after all that is why we go to the university to study a course in particular. however you will realise even with that we are exposed to knowledge from different fields too.

Finally the context in which the saying "no knowledge is wasted" is very different from the context which you presented your arguement. the context is simply whenever you have the opportunity to acquire a form of knowledge when there seems to be nothing else you are doing, then grab the opportunity rather than sitting idle. after all idleness doesnt had anything to you but the little knowledge could add something valuable when you dont even expect.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Gynacologist(m): 1:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
Dereformer:
@ all above me;

Too much grammar!
bois lyk tat serendipity na dem d carry last fo class ohhh....i knw guyz lyk tat.....
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 1:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
oluxy:

Having knowledge on first aid, is it a waste to know or does it not concerned any disciplines?

Having d knowledge doesn't implies you must work with it. You may have the knowledge of how to sew a cloth yet you are a lawyer but someday; when your tailor or designer sew less satisfactory cloth for you; you would beable to correct he/she that; this is how you should have done it. Put this like this, remove this and adjust this like this.

Having knowledge on something implies an ability to know positive and negative, good and bad, conscious and unconscious, design etc on it just incase such thing occures in future.

The american soldiers are trained on and to have knowledge on medical, geographical, war, capturing, swimming etc.

As I am now I can mend my clothes but I won't sew my wedding suit because even though I might be able to do it, I don't have the expertise to make it slick.

Respecting the US soldiers being trained in swimming and the ilk, that's understandable because of the nature of the job and such knowledge easily are handy.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 1:24pm On Oct 07, 2014
oluxy:

As I am now I can mend my clothes but I won't sew my wedding suit because even though I might be able to do it, I don't have the expertise to make it slick.

Respecting the US soldiers being trained in swimming and the ilk, that's understandable because of the nature of the job and such knowledge easily are handy. So the analogy is non sequitur.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by wendy406: 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2014
Meklex:
Some knowledge are sheer waste putting into consideration the opportunity cost involved, just in the case of our universities, where you offer some courses of zero relevance to your chosen field.
I believe so much on the concept of specialization, even our professors adopt the same concept (professor of a specific area of study)..
That's exactly the reason why the American kid knows what he wants in life and specializes on it to attain success.
Concentration breeds success.
Quote for the day: you can't be white and black, you're either white or black.
In what aspect do u mean that you can't be white and black? But i have seen ppl whose color is black and white nah
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2014
smurfy:

Looks like you're all about your life. Has it occurred to you that one can gain knowledge with the sole aim of helping others? Your knowledge of shorthand, for example, got 'wasted' because you wanted it to. Someone could've learned that skill from you. Truth is knowledge can't be categorized as useful or more significant. To do so is to make yourself an enemy of true knowledge.

Get the logic guy. I don't mean that you can never use that knowledge. The question is this ' how often will you get to use it. I might get to use that knowledge of shorthand once in 10 years. That's bad investment guy as I could have used the time and dough expended on that for other stuffs that will be easily handy and relates more to my profession.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Basildvalour(m): 1:35pm On Oct 07, 2014
OP u really have to think again. Everything in life is inter-connected. At different times, we need different things to break new grounds. At different stages of life and in whatever career we have chosen, we need other bits and pieces to be super successful.

If u are a lawyer like u pointed out and u get a case relating to bakery or sewing, u know u will be an automatic loser cos u wouldn't know where to start d defence from. Even a lawyer needs a seamstress;even a baker

It doesnt necessarily mean knowing all of everything but knowing a little of everything and probably more things in ur chosen career will distinguish u from others even in ur field. Have u even thought about the advent of converting your knowledge into cash? Its business acquiring skills bro.

Think again and you'll see that many have succeeded more because of the extra knowledge they have acquired not necessarily in the chosen career. #Peace
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by cdoffx(m): 1:46pm On Oct 07, 2014
Serendipity:

Get the logic guy. I don't mean that you can never use that knowledge. The question is this ' how often will you get to use it. I might get to use that knowledge of shorthand once in 10 years. That's bad investment guy as I could have used the time and dough expended on that for other stuffs that will be easily handy and relates more to my profession.

Now i see... you are only trying to see how well you are good enough to stand and defend a case since you said you are a lawyer. after all in law cases it is only the arguements and sound logic that win case not the exact incident. you know what is true and untrue.

well base on what i believe you are testing, if i am a jury i will say you have not presented enough sound and logical arguement to back your arguement. try harder bro
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by ihedinobi2: 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2014
I'm going to bore you with a bit of biology. Every human being was at one point in their life a mass of stem cells.

Stem cells are cells that have no fixed function. A stem cell can become part of the kidney, or of the heart, or of the foot, or of the brain etc. That corresponds to a period in our development as humans when we are undefined in function.

At that point in our lives where we are practically adrift, seeking to comprehend life and find our own place in it, no knowledge is a waste. You cannot tell just where you will end up at that point so every path is open to you. You can learn this and therefore try that and so on.

But beyond that point is another. It is the point at which we know what life is about and where we want to fit. At that point, streamlining is everything, specializing is the soul of life. At that point, learning things that have nothing to do with your function in life is a waste of precious resources.

But everything you learn before that point is useful on one level or another to establishing your fit in life and thus is useful.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 1:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
secretcode01:
Knowledge is power! But it depends on the kinda knowledge you got and the importance of it.
Yea caught the drift.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 1:56pm On Oct 07, 2014
spinna:
If knowledge is not consciously used it is unconsciously used, interacting with and influencing knowledge that is currently being used.

All knowledge is good because u never know when u'll need it .eg the ability to swim or ride a motorbike may seem irrelevant till some emergency makes that formerly "useless" knowledge the difference between life and death.

Knowledge is power, the more u know, the stronger you are.

The point is that law of forced efficiency applies, it states that there can never be enough time for everything but there will always be enought time for the most important.

If I were a lawyer I would rather use the time I have to gain knowledge in a new area of law than use the same time to learn programming. It's all about effective use and husbanding of scarce time and resources.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Virgin Atlantic Airline Sacks All Nigerian Cabin Crew / Why Must Men Demand To Sleep With Female Marketers Before Buying AD Space? / Margaret Aina Oguntala Becomes Society Of Engineers First Female President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.