Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one (27235 Views)

Knowledge Is Power / Knowledge Is Power! Lets Talk About SAP! / The Fallacy Of Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 1:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
2cato:
After finishing secomdary i learnt how to ground soak and dried corn, cassava, groundnut and rice soak and dry. That was roughly 25 years ago. I threw the knowlegde away and went to the higher institution up to masters level. After working for some years SLS wahala came arround and i decided to practice what i learnt 25 years ago. Low and behold the milling business is so profitable that i am thinking of not going to look for job.

Please lets not be discounting exceptions as the rule. Your case is akin to validating or counselling dropping out from school or skiving off lectures because Bill Gates did same and became rich forgetting that his is just one in every thousand.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 2:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
spotit:
this op has little knowledge and plenty ego. everything he knows and the little he has so decidedly chosen to learn, all could be stood on their heads peradventure a war situation arose. I'm sure he doesn't have any control over a sweeping humanitarian crisis/civil strife/emergency

crptic
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Kirinwa: 2:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
Op you want to tell us that we didn't go to school abi? sad

Diaris God o.
All these grammar you are spoke will spake o.
Issorai.

Op has your car ever broken down in a no man's land and its already 6pm and it will take the closest mechanic 4 hours to reach there.Worse there's no car in sight.You ll come back and edit this post then.

Another scenerio is you are a lawyer and your gown is torn and needs little sewing. Its the only one you have at moment and just 30 minutes to be in court!
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
It is not until you are about to die that you can say figuratively what knowledge you gained that was a waste.

Steve Jobs took a calligraphy class in uni, and this shaped the apple mac. You can never be absolutely sure where life will take you, so suck up all the knowledge you can
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
AjanleKoko:

I was thinking more about the 10,000 hour rule.
Rather than developing advanced competencies in their primary field of study, people prefer to expend their energies on becoming Jack-of-all-trades.

Case in point Pep Guardiola, who learnt German in record time, after getting the FC Bayern manager job. Imagine if, after playing soccer, he focused on learning languages rather than developing the competencies that won him 14 titles at Barca. He would have at best become a multi-lingual soccer pundit.

What if Pep Guardiola decides to start business in Germany ?
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 2:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
redcliff:

[size=14pt]with this post of yours, its safe to say you are intelligently dumb[/size]

Butterfly thinking itself a bird
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 2:12pm On Oct 07, 2014
NaLaugh:
The OP has presented a poor delivery of his point.

The key point the OP attempts to deliver is this:

Prioritize your time and resources as it relates to knowledge acquisition.

That is a very valid point.

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 2:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
NaLaugh:
The OP has presented a poor delivery of his point.

The key point the OP attempts to deliver is this:

Prioritize your time and resources as it relates to knowledge acquisition.

That is a very valid point.

Good analytical skill
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by redcliff: 2:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
Serendipity:

Butterfly thinking itself a bird

. = seen.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Pachunky: 2:32pm On Oct 07, 2014
OP I disagree with U, it was the fingering knowledge I gained in primary school that has helped me in f**king p***y this days. No knowledge is a waste. grin
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by ShakurM(m): 2:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
Most disappointing piece on Nairaland! We shouldn't let frustration rule our opinions. Knowledge is never wasted , it all forms and shapes who you become. 'What does knowledge give you?
Understanding.

Of who you are. Of what you believe. 

Once you have knowledge, it re-frames the way you think.  It changes your perception and opens possibility. 

No matter how trivial, new knowledge builds on the shoulders of existing knowledge, forming stronger connections and associations about you and your world. 

One day - suddenly - you will see opportunity because you have a deeper understanding of your world. 

I am inspired by people who keep learning, asking questions, starting new things and 'Poking the Box' (as Seth Godin would put it). It all seems to be a quest to explore their world and better understand their potential. 

As my knowledge and experience builds I become empowered. I realise that I can do anything with enough time, focus and dedication.

OK, OK. Some physical boundaries might limit my ability to beat Usain Bolt's world record - no matter how long and hard I train - but mental boundaries know no ends. It is these mental boundaries that are constantly refined by the acquisition of knowledge.'
In the immortal words of Francis bacon ' Knowledge is power'
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by femexsp: 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
After undergoin thru,i am sayin that No Knowledge can be lost,its usefulness can only b minimal.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by kelvOdanz(m): 2:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
Pachunky:
OP I disagree with U, it was the fingering knowledge I gained in primary school that has helped me in f**king p***y this days. No knowledge is a waste. grin
Let me guess, you are in your twenties and still can't get a hold of your life; That primary school kid is still in you
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by abdulwastecx(m): 2:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
Aggrippa:

yeah serendipity is correct. in learning the concept of opportunity cost is unconsciously applied. this is why an individual should carefully choose what to learn and master them effectively. one cannot afford to attempt knowing lot of things at once. for example the lawyer or the programmer cannot learn all the aspects of law and programs respectively.

our system frown against versatility because we are too lazy. in my university days I was laughed at and called names like " jack of all trade and master of known". I may not typee or speak over the roof grammar but was able to graduate as one of the best engineering student, learn so many software's in my field civil engineering, architecture, building technologies and quantity surveyors.
learning things whem you have yhe opportunity to do so, is always great.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Worksunlimited: 3:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
Years ago, a man once told me "Life throws a lot of lessons, challenges, trials, and knowledge.. Do not be a fool and say to yourself, i would pick and learn this and that.. Be a sage and learn from all, dont bother yourself about the usefulness whilst in the present, let future events do that for you"..

Ben carson, back then didnt think his knowledge of classical music or the show would come in handy at the job interview, it was just one of those things he picked up along the way to his present self at the interview, he wouldnt have even mentioned it either: had the interviewer not mentioned it in their conversation...

When the man told me years ago, his thots bout life and how you should learn from all that comes your way, the logic made no sense, buh years later, when the situation that needed a skill: that i neglected because i thot it wasnt useful prior to the time, came along... It all made sense!

Its just like when we were young and naive, parents go warn you: Beware of Friends, in every language they can including your local language.. We no gree hear word. BUT when friends begin do us strong thing in all kinds of degrees, nobody tell us to beware of friends, na we begin tell people for untop mountains and over the hills, in the rain and under the sun..

LEARN ALL YOU CAN while you can is my advise.

Buh hey wat do i know.. *continue flipping asun and sipping my cold fresh palmwine*
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by stpat1(m): 3:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
SaintChukz:
@ Op...i think in one full swoop you have succeeded in contrasting your own opinion in the initial post. In the opening line you opined that -no knowledge is wasted appears to you as axiomatic and as arguably sacrosanct, and in your last line statement you then went on to say that it would be stellar to have a "smattering" of many things. Now, with emphasis on the word "smattering", i'm trying hard to figure out how you would have done that if no single amount of time was put into it to gather the little knowledge you termed "smattering". Mind you the knowledge of a thing doesn't have to be acquired in full for you to term it actual knowledge. You also opined that having a particular knowledge of a thing that has no modicum or bearing on what the future tends to hold for you is sheer waste of time because you may never get to use it. I would say you were wrong there in that assertion because, how would you actually get to know what lies ahead of you when you haven't even gotten there? Or do you have a foreseer gift of telling what the future will bring? In my own candid opinion, i would rather opine that no knowledge is actually wasted until it is left unused. It has to be so because you never can tell when that little "survival skill" you garnered at one time or the other would become very handy to you at a critical point in your life, so i would rather not dismiss any knowledge no matter how irrelevant it may seem at a particular time on the premise that it is never going to be useful to me, when i know we all live in a constantly dynamic world. Finally, i think it is best to make myself feel "important" at any particular stage in life rather than feel "impotent" at a near unforeseeable stage in the future.

No need to Say more. You've said it all. You are good.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by patrickmuf(m): 3:12pm On Oct 07, 2014
Okay i'm late but I just have a thing or two to add...
I'm impressed with the IQ of the average poster on this thread...
No knowledge is a waste, however, set your priorities right...
Op sorry to burst your bubble, you're hardly communicating if you ask me...All those big grammar does little to drive your points home...
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by kelvOdanz(m): 3:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
I think the OP is more interested in defending the statement than seeing enough reason to let the statement die off as it is---indefensible
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by sharperino(m): 3:20pm On Oct 07, 2014
While the points pushed forward is disputing the phrase "No knowledge is wasted" by the OP is not completely negligible, it is of high importance to understand that except you can give a 100% forecast of the future, you cannot equally give a 100% prediction of which knowledge will be useful, useless or lost as well which knowledge should be garnered or not.

Thus, the arguments in defense of the phrase "No knowledge is a waste" by Saintchukz are simple, clear and elaborate enough to eradicate all contradictory perceptions of it.

Even-though :- "...no truth is absolute in itself. Because to all assertions there are conditions" , "The challenge is that you can't adequately tell which knowledge will be useless."

I tell you, "No knowledge is a waste"

"...except you can give a 100% forecast of the future, you cannot equally give a 100% prediction of which knowledge will be useful, useless or lost as well which knowledge should be garnered or not."

There are a lot of ICBM(s) to kill off oppositions.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Elxandre(m): 3:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
I remember being pressed down and had to use the toilet in Togo, that was when I realized the French class I termed "useless" was important actually, when I couldn't converse in French.
What if I got into some sort of trouble that day, just because I couldn't speak French?.

Forget the big grammars OP, the fallacy here, is your assumption that some knowledge are wasted.
You don't have to go out of your way and time to learn unnecessary things, but instead you grasp them as you come by them, or through informal education at your spare time.

I still look forward to learning Spanish and French.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by iykepromotions: 3:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
Bia Op whether you like it or not, no knowledge is wasted. stop deceiving yourself
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by ruffhandu: 3:50pm On Oct 07, 2014
@Op,
I would opine that you have shown off your knowledge of cake making and pitman, in this post at least. And, to me, that is a benefit of that knowledge for some have admired you for that.

Something also tells me you have used it on the opposite sex. -winks-
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by udemzyudex(m): 4:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
I didn't bother to read the article,i'm only commenting cos of the topic.

I wanted to learn forex trading,so my friend said he knows someone that can teach me,he also said the man will park soon so i should make it quick.

Instead of getting a laptop and moderm first i decided to leave that and go for the training,i paid #30000 to learn it and till date av never practise what i learnt not to talk of making money from it.

I don't think i'll make use of the knowledge again cos i don't gamble,i see it as gambling.

So that knowledge is a waste for me.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by ruffhandu: 4:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
udemzyudex:
I didn't bother to read the article,i'm only commenting cos of the topic.

I wanted to learn forex trading,so my friend said he knows someone that can teach me,he also said the man will park soon so i should make it quick.

Instead of getting a laptop and moderm first i decided to leave that and go for the training,i paid #30000 to learn it and till date av never practise what i learnt not to talk of making money from it.

I don't think i'll make use of the knowledge again cos i don't gamble,i see it as gambling.

So that knowledge is a waste for me.

Now that you know and teaching people it's a gamble, you are already making use of it.
Unless you define "making use of" to mean making millions, no knowledge is a waste to me.

1 Like

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by udemzyudex(m): 4:11pm On Oct 07, 2014
ruffhandu:

Now that you know and teaching people it's a gamble, you are already making use of it.
Unless you define "making use of" to mean making millions, no knowledge is a waste to me.

I didn't say i was teaching people bro,i said i learnt how to trade but till date have not practise what i learnt and don't think i'll ever use it.

I still have the books and indicators,i may give it out someday.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 4:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
helphelp:

You shouldn't have bothered with this reply.

why
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by rightflank: 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
SaintChukz:
@ Op...i think in one full swoop you have succeeded in contrasting your own opinion in the initial post. In the opening line you opined that -no knowledge is wasted appears to you as axiomatic and as arguably sacrosanct, and in your last line statement you then went on to say that it would be stellar to have a "smattering" of many things. Now, with emphasis on the word "smattering", i'm trying hard to figure out how you would have done that if no single amount of time was put into it to gather the little knowledge you termed "smattering". Mind you the knowledge of a thing doesn't have to be acquired in full for you to term it actual knowledge. You also opined that having a particular knowledge of a thing that has no modicum or bearing on what the future tends to hold for you is sheer waste of time because you may never get to use it. I would say you were wrong there in that assertion because, how would you actually get to know what lies ahead of you when you haven't even gotten there? Or do you have a foreseer gift of telling what the future will bring? In my own candid opinion, i would rather opine that no knowledge is actually wasted until it is left unused. It has to be so because you never can tell when that little "survival skill" you garnered at one time or the other would become very handy to you at a critical point in your life, so i would rather not dismiss any knowledge no matter how irrelevant it may seem at a particular time on the premise that it is never going to be useful to me, when i know we all live in a constantly dynamic world. Finally, i think it is best to make myself feel "important" at any particular stage in life rather than feel "impotent" at a near unforeseeable stage in the future.
I thought I was the only one who noticed the conflicting statements.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by yetseyi(f): 5:11pm On Oct 07, 2014
One of the very few sane threads on NL.
I m quite impressed that nairalanders can express opinions without resorting to insults.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Otunbakay(m): 5:30pm On Oct 07, 2014
Serendipity:

Thank you but I can never learn how to make cakes because the possibility of my using that knowledge is infinitesimal.
Yes! You may never want to learn how to bake because you believe you will never need the skill, but that does not make it a waste of knowlege if you choose to acquire such knowlege. Who says your wife and children won't be proud of you if you are the one to bake their birthday/ graduation cake, even if you are the nation's president? cheesy
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by ruffhandu: 5:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
udemzyudex:

I didn't say i was teaching people bro,i said i learnt how to trade but till date have not practise what i learnt and don't think i'll ever use it.

I still have the books and indicators,i may give it out someday.

I understand you perfectly bro.
The fact that you have just taught me that Forex is gambling, and the bolded, means your knowledge of it is not a waste.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Fredosky247(m): 5:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
Intresting! I had to consult my advance oxford dictionary, before comprehending the write up herein.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Appswheel(m): 5:44pm On Oct 07, 2014
[img]http://www..com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/project-management-training-2-1024x758.jpg[/img]

A PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE WILL INCREASE YOUR NETWORTH

Did you know that:
To sit for Project Management Professional Certification exam, you must provide an evidence of a minimum of 35 contact hours of project management training?

10% Discount for first 10 people to register non-Corp members.
40% Discount for NYSC Members..

SCHEDULE
Lagos: 25th, 26th of October & 1st, 2nd of November, 2014. (4-Days)
Abuja: 22nd, 23rd, 29th and 30th of November, 2014. (4-Days)
Port-harcourt: 6th, 7th, 13th & 14th of December, 2014. (4-Days)

Inquiry: 08084444759

REGISTER

[img]http://www..com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/PROJECT-MANAGEMENT-AND-CAPM-TRAINING-IN-LAGOS-NIGERIA.png[/img]

[img]http://www..com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CAPM-TRAINING-IN-LAGOS-NIGERIA.png[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

190 Policemen Abscond From Counter-insurgency Training / I Have Been Robbed By My Workers. Please Help! / Help!!! Newly Recruited NIS Conpass 08 Need Your Prayer Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.