Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,176 members, 7,825,671 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one (27238 Views)

Knowledge Is Power / Knowledge Is Power! Lets Talk About SAP! / The Fallacy Of Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 08, 2014
Aggrippa:

yeah serendipity is correct. in learning the concept of opportunity cost is unconsciously applied. this is why an individual should carefully choose what to learn and master them effectively. one cannot afford to attempt knowing lot of things at once. for example the lawyer or the programmer cannot learn all the aspects of law and programs respectively.

Its no use dragging this matter forever. If you chose to take every quote strictly for its textual value. You will not profit from quotations in general.

That maxim posits that knowledge can always find expression as long as its properly acquired. My interpretation is that if you have a choice between acquiring knowledge and wasting time take the knowledge regardless of the utility. This however does not preclude my ability to prioritize knowledge by their value to me. That is a given. I will rather learn a engineeringnsoftware than learn more about the synthesis of nano plastics.

My career is a great example. I studies engineering management, but work as a structural engineer. My knowledge of helps me know what is important to the company and I focus on that. My colleagues kill themselves on the maths of the job, but I get same mileage by focusing on things like cost, material buildability etc.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 7:39am On Oct 08, 2014
vfactor:
OP: i'll say u re the one who's choosen not to use the extra knowledge u've acquired. You re a lawyer, doesnt mean, u can't bake a cake for your wedding anniversary or your birthday. It's a matter of choice. I knw many things i learnt (e.g. corel draw graphic design) that are not related to my profession (civil engineering), but of which, when i add them to what i do, it makes me seem like a genius (i design my letterheads and complimentary cards myself). But I'm not. I Jst decided to use what i've learnt. I'm even considering learning to be a tailor.

Go ahead, learn to be a tailor, carpenter, vulcanizer, etc so that you help your fellow engineering graduates -- who acquired relrelevant skills in the profession and have risen to greater heights while you are busy with nugatory and unrelated ones--- when they need such services.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Meklex(m): 8:23am On Oct 08, 2014
wendy406:
In what aspect do u mean that you can't be white and black? But i have seen ppl whose color is black and white nah
lol, yeah, it's mostly caused by bleaching cream, and it's exactly how our brains look when we impose it with smattering knowledge of everything inconsequential.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Aiykegenihus: 8:33am On Oct 08, 2014
Serendipity:
Undoubtedly the saying that no knowledge is wasted appears axiomatic and arguably sacrosanct.
=
In his book ''Think Big'', (pp. 200-212) Ben Carson argues that you never can know what you will be doing fifteen years from now hence one should grab every available knowledge.
=
He cited an incident where he was before an interviewer who mentioned en passe that he had heard about a concert and he also quipped that he too had heard about it which visibly left the interviewer surprised and they then started discussing classical music..
He contends that that knowlege of classical music was instrumental in his success in that interview.
=
=
MY OPINION
Methinks that having or acquiring some knowledge is sheer and utter waste of scarce time and resources.
-----------------------------------------------
For example, I don't see how the knowledge of how to prepare a cake or sew clothes would have a significant bearing on my life if I were a lawyer. This is truer given that I may never get the time to come and be sewing clothes or making cakes for either myself or family.
Even if I would get to use them in future, wouldn't it be once in a blue moon as in Ben Carson's case.
---------------------------------------------
In high school, I was very good at the use of Pitman Shorthand. An aeon has elapsed since I left junior secondary, and I have never got to use not even a vestige of the knowledge I acquired in that subject.
=

Again, acquiring some of this otiose and apparently irrelevant knowledge may be at the expense of knowledge which would have been more apt and handy. In other words, you may be wasting time acquiring knowledge that has not even a modicum bearing on your life or knowledge you may never get to use due to your discipline.
=
At any rate, I suggest that it would be stellar to have a smattering of many things.
=
Your methodical views are welcome!
I did rather go learn something off point than sit or sleep all through the day.For some of us, is just the fun and joy in knowing that you are consciously making effort to better yourself that counts.staying out there were boundless opportunities sail by,connecting and meeting new people with varying ideas,in other for one to emerge with great ideas that will transform the world,u will had to know what others are thinking . I am currently studying Mathematics but a sucker for great info. Or knowledge, I just love finding them first,the peace that comes there-in is heavenly.#noknowledgeisawaste
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Alexcassy: 8:44am On Oct 08, 2014
I learnt catering in 1997 and I just started a small catering business from home due to the fact that I need money. I also have a lot of instances when I've been able to use what I learnt years back when my mate were saying they won't need it to get small business opportunities and make life long friendship, so I can categorically tell you that no knowledge is wasted.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by ismokeweed1(f): 9:38am On Oct 08, 2014
This thread is a funny one. The human brain is more advanced than even the most powerful computer. There is no way you can fill it up with learning so then how can you waste knowledge?

No knowledge is a waste, a human being just got to keep on acquiring knowledge. That's how our creator intended it to be.

Knowledge can only be limited. KNOWLEDGE CAN NEVER BE WASTED (except you are dull or an slowpoke, then learn what your head can carry)

1 Like

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by oladosuphemmy: 9:59am On Oct 08, 2014
IGNORANCE AT D HIGHEST LEVEL
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by DaVinChiSam(m): 11:28am On Oct 08, 2014
The Grammar we full this thread na only God go save man pickin
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Gynacologist(m): 1:34pm On Oct 08, 2014
morbid:
Gbam!!! Serendipity z actually the one showing off with his verbosity,while SaintChukz z actually killing the argument with his sterling discerment and clarity of points. SaintChukz:u remind me of Chinua Achebe. Ride on,bruv!quote author=Dereformer post=17455645]@ all above me;

Too much grammar!
tot am d onli one tat noticed...
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Gynacologist(m): 1:56pm On Oct 08, 2014
JhyMedex:
Wetin consyn me... reading 4 d sake of d New vocab am learning undecided
exactly correct boi...
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by dolipeey(f): 10:55pm On Oct 08, 2014
This is a total discourse.if u dnt really understand logic u dnt nid to comment on dix ambiguous phrase.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Nobody: 3:02am On Oct 09, 2014
Serendipity:

Go ahead, learn to be a tailor, carpenter, vulcanizer, etc so that you help your fellow engineering graduates -- who acquired relrelevant skills in the profession and have risen to greater heights while you are busy with nugatory and unrelated ones--- when they need such services.

That i have knowledge of those seemingly irrelavant stuffs, doesnt mean i dnt go for trainings in courses relating to my field...it jst makes me an all rounder of a sort.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Stephxoblessed(f): 10:31am On Oct 09, 2014
I know of a quote that states " know a little of every thing and know more of one thing.

1 Like

Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 10, 2014
Serendipity:

Without sounding immodest or denigrating anybody, I think your problem is selective perception, you have chosen what you want to believe, regrettably.
=
You went on the voyage of adventure when quoted out of context my analogy with Spanish and Hausa languages--- kindly go and twig what I stated which is as clear as day. Whether it was propagated by whoever is non sequitur and not the message I tried to convey.
=
With regard to the Pitman Shorthand example, you said that I could be appointed to a government position which could require such skill; a riposte I find laughable. I posited that the operative words are THE RATE OF INCIDENCE OR POSSIBILITY.
Now, how many government positions could require one to make use of Pitman shorthand?
=
Your bringing in truth here can as best be termed inapt and incongrous...

There's something u've failed to understand. The knowledge in question is something you learned by circumstance. E.g. In sec school, u learnt pitman short hand nt cos u had to forfeit something to learn it, but because the circumstances demanded that u must learn it. The question is if you choose to use it or not.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by SaintChukz(m): 8:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
morbid:
Abeg,you and sabiguy,who sabi smfin pass? I've never seen a discernible mind like yours. Naija z rili blessed;na just brain drain D̶̲̥̅̊є̲̣̥y̲̅ kill us.
Haha...i was only doing what i had felt was proper i.e not showing off to simply strike home a point. Oh...yes! Nigeria is indeed awesomely blessed with brains. Just starting here from NL alone, you would easily notice it.
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by SaintChukz(m): 8:21pm On Oct 10, 2014
Oh...no guys, this thread has being up for more than a year or so, i thought the thread was dead? Who resurrected it again? Well...it's really nice to see the thread generating good and well articulated responses. And it's even nicer to see that the ladies have made valuable contributions too. I love it...because i see it's been raining brains in here! smiley
Re: It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one by Serendipity: 4:51pm On Dec 31, 2016
long time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

190 Policemen Abscond From Counter-insurgency Training / I Have Been Robbed By My Workers. Please Help! / Help!!! Newly Recruited NIS Conpass 08 Need Your Prayer Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.