Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,294 members, 7,826,167 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Oboabona Would've Failed Arsenal Trial-chukwu - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oboabona Would've Failed Arsenal Trial-chukwu (819 Views)

Oboabona Denies Receiving Arsenal Invitation For A Trial / Ikpeba & Adepoju Differ On Oboabona's Arsenal Trial Request / Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oboabona Would've Failed Arsenal Trial-chukwu by Ralphjoe(m): 3:00pm On Aug 07, 2013
Former Super Eagles coach Christian Chukwu has backed the decision by Godfrey Oboabona to refuse to undergo a trial with Arsenal before signing him. Chukwu believes the Eagles defender would have failed the test.
Oboabona on Sunday fired a broadside at the Premier League giants, accusing the Gunners of disrespecting Nigerian clubs, afterhe was offered a trial at the club.
"Arsenal's management told me tocome for a trial when I won the Africa Cup of Nations,"The Sunquoted the 22-year-old centre-back as saying.
"I think I should be above such requests. It is high time some of these clubs started respecting Nigeria."
Sunshine Stars General Manager Mike Idoko stoked the fire on Wednesday when he accused Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger of attempting to undervalue the player.
Speaking to our correspondent on the telephone during the week, Chukwu said Oboabona would have been rejected by Arsenal because big European clubs don't believe in African defenders.
The former Nigeria captain and coach said the situation would be different if the London outfit had offered the player a contract.
"Oboabona is a good defender and I'm surprised that Arsenal invited him for a trial before joining them," the 1980 Africa Cupof Nations winner said.
"I don't think he needs any trial tosign for a big club because everybody knows he's a quality defender.
"He made the right decision (to reject Arsenal's offer) because he wouldn't have succeeded in the trial.
"The majority of the top Europeanclubs focus their attention on signing midfielders and strikers outside Europe because they are the players who win matches.
"They have good defenders and only sign outsiders if they are exceptional."
The former Enugu Rangers captain said Oboabona must resist being rushed into signing for "just any club".
"He's a good player and I believe one of the big European clubs willsign him but he must continue hisdevelopment in the domestic league before moving abroad," Chukwu said.
The ex-Kenya coach said Nigerian players must work harder to attract the interest of the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Arsenal and Barcelona.
He said, "They still have a long wayto go. Mikel Obi and Victor Moses are playing for Chelsea because they are quality players. EmmanuelEmenike can attract interest from a top European club if he works harder.
"The problem of our players is that they are not consistent. Top European clubs only go for playerswho deliver consistent performances. But sadly, our players allow little success to go totheir heads."
He urged the country to focus on developing football at the grass-roots level, saying it would help Nigerian players develop like their European and South America counterparts.
"Our players don't develop fast and that's why we mustn't use overage players at the Under-17 and Under-20 levels," Chukwu addedhttp://odili.net/news/source/2013/aug/4/801.html

Re: Oboabona Would've Failed Arsenal Trial-chukwu by KayDee4: 5:09pm On Aug 07, 2013
I thought Obaobona debunked everything from invitation to stories about him taking a swipe at Wenger.

Chukwu contradicts himself here

I don't think he needs any trial to sign for a big club because everybody knows he's a quality defender

They have good defenders and only sign outsiders if they are exceptional

In summary, he's a quality defender but not exceptional (not up to Arsenal's standard) - according to Chukwu.

He made the right decision (to reject Arsenal's offer) because he wouldn't have succeeded in the trial

The situation would be different if the London outfit had offered the player a contract. Oboabona is a good defender and I'm surprised that Arsenal invited him for a trial before joining them. I don't think he needs any trial to sign for a big club because everybody knows he's a quality defender.

It's like asking your teacher to promote you to the next class without having you write an exam because u're sure to flunk. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Oboabona Would've Failed Arsenal Trial-chukwu by Ralphjoe(m): 5:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
Oboabona denied those report doesn' t mean that there are no truth in it, i think he denied them to save his face(i maybe wrong though).
Re: Oboabona Would've Failed Arsenal Trial-chukwu by Ailow: 7:55am On Aug 09, 2013
He should have honoured the invitation first. For Arsenal to invite him, shows they have an Interest in him but have not seen enough of him. Any player that is so sure of himself should not be afraid of a test. Maybe he would have failed,but it would have done him some good.
Re: Oboabona Would've Failed Arsenal Trial-chukwu by kayrich9448: 7:23am On Aug 10, 2013
I can't believe chukwu saying this. You want a big team like arsenal to snap up a sunshine player without any trial. Chukwu knows him as a good defender because he stays in nigeria and oboabona will be followd well by him. Who is he to wenger? Seeing him playing for the first time @ the nation cup isn't enough for wenger to believe he's a good player and chukwu knows. Top class manager as Wenger will be fool to sign a player from such club without any trial.

(1) (Reply)

Letter From Florentino Perez (President of Real Madrid) / I Will Stop Eaglets From Scoring – Mexico’s Goalie / Kelechi Iheanacho Disobeys Father, Set To Sign For FC PORTO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.