Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Nigerian e-passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian e-passport (9043 Views)

Nigeria E-passport New Prices Start Today. / Renewing Nigerian E-passport In London / Re-issue Of Nigerian E-passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian e-passport by 2legit2qwt: 3:30am On Aug 08, 2013
Has anyone applied for a Nigerian passport from the US recently? This is a renewal from the old passport to the e-passport

Does anyone have any information on applying for one. I've searched everywhere in the travel section but no recent info on what i'm looking for.
From the website, is this supposed to be obtained from Nigeria? The Local Government letter of identification and Guarantor's form sworn to before a commissioner of Oaths / Magistrate / High Court Judge
If yes, how does one get it if you don't reside Nigeria?

How long does the whole process typically take and which of the three locations, Atlanta, NY, and DC is quickest? Is there a way to expedite the process?
This is urgently needed please and any info will be highly appreciated
Re: Nigerian e-passport by princeonx: 6:10am On Aug 08, 2013
Where do you live in the US? I did mine at the NY office which was/is still the worst office or official business I've visited/done in my entire stay in the US.
Visit the Nigerian embassy consulate website, file out and submit the application for any of the three locations. You will get an appointment date and confirmation number after making your payment online through some useless SOS system or so. They're not too strict on the date as long as you've paid! Meaning, your appointment date can be 25th August but you can show up on the 20th as long as you have your payment confirmation printout. Also print a copy of the application for yourself before submitting it online and have a self addressed envelope also for them to mail the new passport back to you. You can also get it the same day if you expedite it by giving them Money! And if they're not too busy but this guys are all always busy doing nothing! You need to go with the old passport too. What else am I missing? Em! Em!! Make sure you drink enough water cux they won't let you go into their office or even waiting space upstairs with water even though you might spend good 6 hours there! Be ready to be yelled or screamed at! Yes! As in "madam, it will be ready when its ready" or "so now what do you want me to do?" that's if you mistakingly ask any question after some hours!
Bottom line, I hope you visit on a less stress day for this people as in their system working fine, they're not working their second job that day, or answering naija calls in your present, etc! Make your own copies of old passport if you don't want them to chew off your ears! After reading the signs on the dirty walls sef fear no go let you open mouth as them for paper.
I hope you have a better experience than me and my family if not you might even burn the da^^€ thing after the stress! Good luck!
Re: Nigerian e-passport by princeonx: 6:27am On Aug 08, 2013
The website is www.nigeriahouse.com
Click on consular services then passport application then you want the standard passport. The steps is kind of easy if the site is in good mode. After submitting the app and choosing a location then you get a date. Print a copy of the application that you will sign and give them, bring your old passport with a copy of the data page (if your forget, u go go the Indian guy store across to make a copy for $1 a page, naija ppl na him big customers). Bring a money order of $20 or $30 for processing fees (check amount on their website) they will never ever accept your personal check so don't even mention it if you forget the money order. Everybody applying including 30mnts old kids will do the same and if they hear you say "na small pikin" my son was about 4 months when we went there and my wife used that word "child" her next word was "sorry ma" after the kind eye wey the woman look her!
Pls come back and share your experience after! Good luck!
Re: Nigerian e-passport by 2legit2qwt: 12:56pm On Aug 08, 2013
@prince_onx Thanks a lot for the response

Is the $30 money order different from the $65 you pay online? I'm not too clear on that. The other confusion is with the local government letter of identification and Guarantor's form, these are the documents i'm not sure where to get them from if at all they are needed.

I appreciate your help smiley
Re: Nigerian e-passport by Yvete(f): 2:31pm On Aug 08, 2013
I renewed my passport in January at the Nigerian Embassy in D.C. I flew in that morning (before 8am) and got it done the same day. You submit 2 passport photos, they take one (mugshot) at the embassy, you pay $65 online and get a money order for $30, but guess what? One Naija lady sells money orders at the Embassy ... shocking! cheesy I bought mine from her. I didn't take any Guarantor's form, Driver's license or anything. Pretty straightforward process.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian e-passport by 2legit2qwt: 2:51pm On Aug 08, 2013
Yvete: I renewed my passport in January at the Nigerian Embassy in D.C. I flew in that morning (before 8am) and got it done the same day. You submit 2 passport photos, they take one (mugshot) at the embassy, you pay $65 online and get a money order for $30, but guess what? One Naija lady sells money orders at the Embassy ... shocking! cheesy I bought mine from her. I didn't take any Guarantor's form, Driver's license or anything. Pretty straightforward process.

Hey Yvete, are you saying that you don't really need the Local government thing even though it's stated on the website? My passport is the old type before the e-passport and it expired over 4 years ago

I wouldn't like to fly in only to be turned down because of that or anything. No back end stuff?
Re: Nigerian e-passport by Yvete(f): 5:36pm On Aug 08, 2013
What's a local government? You mean County?? grin Just kidding!

They don't need any of that stuff, but you should know your local government anyways. I applied online and they asked me to fill out another paper application at the Embassy. No extra details or verification. They check to see if your visa is valid, I think. [s]Forget customer service ... old staff... most are old enough to be your father so you can't scream at their irritatingly slow service. [/s]
Re: Nigerian e-passport by 2legit2qwt: 6:33pm On Aug 08, 2013
Lol @ local government and county grin grin. I'm guessing i can get by with everything else then except for the local government thing which i don't have. I've read on here about how customer service and Nigeria don't go together so i'm not expecting one cheesy cheesy grin grin
Thanks a lot for your help, i hope this works out smoothly otherwise, i'm just gonna give up on it for now and do it in Nigeria sad
Re: Nigerian e-passport by princeonx: 2:11am On Aug 09, 2013
2legit2qwt: @prince_onx Thanks a lot for the response

Is the $30 money order different from the $65 you pay online? I'm not too clear on that. The other confusion is with the local government letter of identification and Guarantor's form, these are the documents i'm not sure where to get them from if at all they are needed.

I appreciate your help smiley
Guess your questions had been answered by other posters! But yes it's different. The local government gist only come up while filling the application online. It will ask your local government area in naija! and also a naija residense address which is simply stupid cux most applicant applying from US live here!
Re: Nigerian e-passport by henrychubayo: 8:10am On Aug 09, 2013
prince_onx: Where do you live in the US? I did mine at the NY office which was/is still the worst office or official business I've visited/done in my entire stay in the US.
Visit the Nigerian embassy consulate website, file out and submit the application for any of the three locations. You will get an appointment date and confirmation number after making your payment online through some useless SOS system or so. They're not too strict on the date as long as you've paid! Meaning, your appointment date can be 25th August but you can show up on the 20th as long as you have your payment confirmation printout. Also print a copy of the application for yourself before submitting it online and have a self addressed envelope also for them to mail the new passport back to you. You can also get it the same day if you expedite it by giving them Money! And if they're not too busy but this guys are all always busy doing nothing! You need to go with the old passport too. What else am I missing? Em! Em!! Make sure you drink enough water cux they won't let you go into their office or even waiting space upstairs with water even though you might spend good 6 hours there! Be ready to be yelled or screamed at! Yes! As in "madam, it will be ready when its ready" or "so now what do you want me to do?" that's if you mistakingly ask any question after some hours!
Bottom line, I hope you visit on a less stress day for this people as in their system working fine, they're not working their second job that day, or answering naija calls in your present, etc! Make your own copies of old passport if you don't want them to chew off your ears! After reading the signs on the dirty walls sef fear no go let you open mouth as them for paper.
I hope you have a better experience than me and my family if not you might even burn the da^^€ thing after the stress! Good luck!

HAHAHAHAHA grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. I LAUGHS TIRE READING THIS YOUR POST
Re: Nigerian e-passport by 2legit2qwt: 1:14pm On Aug 09, 2013
prince_onx:
Guess your questions had been answered by other posters! But yes it's different. The local government gist only come up while filling the application online. It will ask your local government area in naija! and also a naija residense address which is simply stupid cux most applicant applying from US live here!

Makes sense now, thanks a bunch for your help

(1) (Reply)

Abuja Airport To Be Closed For 6 Weeks From March 8 / Hungarian Student Visa Application, Applying From Nigeria / Studying/Nigerians In Slovakia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.