Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? (17475 Views)

W.H.O Scientists Investigate ‘mysterious Deaths’ In Nigerian Town (graphic Pics) / Suspicious Deaths At A Chinese Company In Lagos / Boko Haram Deaths In Pictures-not For The Faint-hearted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 9:01am On Aug 08, 2013
There is a guy who I am really sure killed his wife here in Nigeria, they have been having serious issues, suddenly the wife a very healthy woman was said to have died 2 days ago and the reason given was that she fell in the bath room. Now people are crying. . No one is pointing accusing fingers at the husband, no police has been called in, no autopsy, nothing, as muslims the woman was buried the next day. A killer has gone away with murder in this crazy country of ours, I am very sure he killed that woman. I know there are may other similar cases as well.

In a community that I visited in Benue about 3 ladies have been found dead in the community in a span of 3 months but no body seems to be doing any thing about it, even the police have not been called in, people are just living in fear, while a serial killer is on the lose. . .Why don't we report such cases to the police? When a dead body is found people try to identify it and then bury it, no one calls the police to come, when the police comes people don't want to coperate by speaking up, some people go as far as saying that it is the will of god. . .I know that our police lack the capacity to conduct such complicated investigations, but some little lead here and there can help. . .

I am just angry today so my rants might not seem coherent. . .I seriously believe that many people kill their family members both nuclear and extended or spouses and claim they died in their sleep or had a domestic accident and the issue just dies like that, no investigation, no questioning, nothing. . .Imagine a husband telling people that he found his wife's body in the bath room, he said she fell and died and that's all. . .People just accepted that explanation with out any question, next thing people are praying for her soul and reciting Arabic verses from the Koran. . .what is that?. . .Am pissed. . .

42 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 08, 2013
Because we are mentally lazy.
We prefer our superstitions to real actual facts.
We prefer to believe that a "wombless" Pastors wife will mysteriously give birth to a 10pound baby without asking questions like if there was a womb transplant, where is the Doctors report, what was actually medically done.
We prefer to jump from one prayer house to the other rather than focus our energy and harness the scientific breakthroughs God helped Doctors to discover.
We prefer to believe a Pastor who under 3 months learns the art of sweet mouth than a Doctor with 10 years of training, and 20 years of professional practice.
We prefer to lazily "leave it to God" than to equip our labs and take the years and study foresic sciences.
We prefer to hide things than say it out so others can learn and apply your mistakes and experiences to their own decisions.
We also prefer to carry rumours of money rituals than simple basic scientific tests
Simple answer: we are lazy, pretentious, religious hypocrites. That's all

153 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 9:27am On Aug 08, 2013
debrief08: Because we are mentally lazy.
We prefer our superstitions to real actual facts.
We prefer to believe that a "wombless" Pastors wife will mysteriously give birth to a 10pound baby without asking questions like if there was a womb transplant, where is the Doctors report, what was actually medically done.
We prefer to jump from one prayer house to the other rather than focus our energy and harness the scientific breakthroughs God helped Doctors to discover.
We prefer to believe a Pastor who under 3 months learns the art of sweet mouth than a Doctor with 10 years of training, and 20 years of professional practice.
We prefer to lazily "leave it to God" than to equip our labs and take the years and study foresic sciences.
We prefer to hide things than say it out so others can learn and apply your mistakes and experiences to their own decisions.
We also prefer to carry rumours of money rituals than simple basic scientific tests
Simple answer: we are lazy, pretentious, religious hypocrites. That's all

The thing tire me, but in some cases its very glaring, a man that is having serious issues with his wife should be questioned at least when she suddenly dies from domestic accident, but no, every body is busy praying for he departed soul and a person has gotten away with murder. . .What is that?. .Many people are getting away with murder in naija, its just crazy. . .

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by ireneidiva(f): 10:10am On Aug 08, 2013
Because, people like you who have suspicions about a certain persons death; don't go to the police to make a report but come to nairaland to bore us.

62 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 10:30am On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva: Because, people like you who have suspicions about a certain persons death; don't go to the police to make a report but come to nairaland to bore us.

And you know I didn't go to the police how?. . .

12 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by mkmyers45(m): 10:54am On Aug 08, 2013
The lord giveth and the lord taketh away
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by bellong: 10:59am On Aug 08, 2013
Op,

The problem is complicated and institutional.

If you have ever entered police trouble before, you will know that an armed robber is a better friend compared to the police.

Before people can voluntary supply information without the fear of being roped into the case, the police must first gain the confidence of the population. How will you be encouraged to report to police when the previous one you reported landed you in trouble that took divine intervention to get off it.

Have you visited the forensic section of the NPF in Ikoyi before? It is as good as a collection office.

39 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by ireneidiva(f): 11:43am On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje:

And you know I didn't go to the police how?. . .
Cos you are asking why. If you had gone, you would have spoken up about your experience there. Any more questions? *yawns*

17 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by obowunmi(m): 11:48am On Aug 08, 2013
Even Americans don't know how people died. So many unresolved murders.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 11:52am On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva:
Cos you are asking why. If you had gone, you would have spoken up about your experience there. Any more questions? *yawns*

I actually reported to the police by suggesting that her death looks suspicious, but they didn't take me seriously because i didn't have any evidence and tried to say its a libel against the man, it would have been looked into closely and given more attention if it was reported by any body from the family. . .I am not a family member, I don't even know them, just went there to separate them once when they were fighting. . .Keep yawing. . .

20 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 11:56am On Aug 08, 2013
bellong: Op,

If you have ever entered police trouble before, you will know that an armed robber is a better friend compared to the police.

Before people can voluntary supply information without the fear of being roped into the case, the police must first gain the confidence of the population. How will you be encouraged to report to police when the previous one you reported landed you in trouble that took divine intervention to get off it.

Have you visited the forensic section of the NPF in Ikoyi before? It is as good as a collection office.

True, I actually tried to suggest to a police man that I believe that the woman was murdered and he asked me for evidence, I couldn't provide any so he accused me of libel. . .The issue is, why do family and close friends accept such stories. . . If you are always beating my sister and suddenly you come up and tell me she died by falling down in the bathroom, I won't take it. . .If family members report such cases will be looked into, the issue is every body just accepts the story that is given and life goes on. . .

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 11:57am On Aug 08, 2013
obowunmi: Even Americans don't know how people died. So many unresolved murders.

So many murders have been solved. . .Majority of the murders in Nigeria go unsolved. . .Only a minute number actually get solved. ..

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 12:02pm On Aug 08, 2013
@mazaje I understand how u feel bra, and it's painful the state of things in this country, most homicides are been carried out by spouses, directly or indirectly, that's why in the western world if a man is murdered, his wife is investigated likewise if a wife is murdered. It's sad maNn, I understand how u feel.

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 12:05pm On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva: Because, people like you who have suspicions about a certain persons death; don't go to the police to make a report but come to nairaland to bore us.
mrs sabi sabi.

18 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Kanwulia: 12:30pm On Aug 08, 2013
Why bother?
When we have SPI-RITUALISTS? grin

6 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by ireneidiva(f): 12:38pm On Aug 08, 2013
bolaino: mrs sabi sabi.
Truth is bitter.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by ReubenAbati: 12:59pm On Aug 08, 2013
Nigerians are scared people na.

Na now you know?
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Purist(m): 1:04pm On Aug 08, 2013
We don't investigate ANYTHING in Nigeria because we've been conditioned from birth to "leave everything to God" and "let God be the judge".

This article sums it all up accurately: https://www.nairaland.com/1389472/nigeria-one-nation-under-god#17302744

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by agitator: 1:04pm On Aug 08, 2013
bellong: Op,

True talk, and the man can even turn the case against you by greasing the palms of the police. You already mentioned the response of a police guy the case was reported to. Is that how it is done compared to the civilized countries?

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Youngzedd(m): 1:05pm On Aug 08, 2013
WE STILL HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO AND THAT IS WHY WE NIGERIANS NEED EDUCATION MORE THAN ANY OTHER THING.
WE ARE STILL IN DARK. THANK GOD I DON'T/WILL NEVER GIVE A DAMN IF SUCH THING HAPPEN ON MY SIDE "I MUST SURELY FIND THE ROOT"

Those old grand mama's and papa's in the village don't know whats up and that is why we Nigerians need to be enlighten and that will be through education so that our future generation will have a say.

We need to put things right so that our next generation will see the light.

The whole problem many Nigerians sit down and allow such to happen is because of Illiteracy.

I like IMO state current government for the FREE EDU 4 ALL.

#FREEEDU4ALL

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by zolajpower: 1:06pm On Aug 08, 2013
I DEY POST SIN FOR WORK. BRB
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by debosky(m): 1:07pm On Aug 08, 2013
Because, in general, once someone dies it's considered a 'closed case' - regardless of the causes. The fatalistic/religious view is that once a person is dead, leave it to God.

Also, we really don't value human life (except ours/those close to us) and even then, once those close ones are gone, we are resigned to our fate.

Like I often say, the ubiquitous 'brief illness' is the biggest killer in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Odunharry(m): 1:08pm On Aug 08, 2013
mst 9jerians no get mind..abeg no go tel police ds 1 if u no wan enta cell.

*any muslim in d hause?me nid sme tings*
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by TeenageMoney(m): 1:08pm On Aug 08, 2013
Do they have suspicious and unsuspicious death?
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by KelvinC1(m): 1:10pm On Aug 08, 2013
maybe because the population too much and people and our old old kpolitians no won die..

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by dareyking(m): 1:10pm On Aug 08, 2013
Aaaaahh! Reminence...*beats letz go*owo shati ya..ishe shati pooor...ni gboro..ni gboro won wa mi ni gboro...

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 08, 2013
Ha, my brother! God is the ultimate judge. Its him that gives and takes, who are we to question?

Never forget, this is mumudom lipsrsealed
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by judedwriter(m): 1:12pm On Aug 08, 2013
because we don't value lives in dis country. In america, they can investigate d death of a child up to 10 years till they trace d killer; d whole nation is tensed when a citizen dies. here, boko kills scores of kids and within a week we forget all about it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by olas24u(f): 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2013
If you have encountered the Nigerian police in this type of investigations you will run as fast as possible and look the other way.
You will here "You no go fit go now,ibi like say na you kill am?

You will here "were are the rest of your partners in crime.

The criminal justice system still as a long way to go.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by free2ryhme: 1:14pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje: There is a guy who I am really sure killed his wife here in Nigeria, they have been having serious issues, suddenly the wife a very healthy woman was said to have died 2 days ago and the reason given was that she fell in the bath room. Now people are crying. . No one is pointing accusing fingers at the husband, no police has been called in, no autopsy, nothing, as muslims the woman was buried the next day. A killer has gone away with murder in this crazy country of ours, I am very sure he killed that woman. I know there are may other similar cases as well.

In a community that I visited in Benue about 3 ladies have been found dead in the community in a span of 3 months but no body seems to be doing any thing about it, even the police have not been called in, people are just living in fear, while a serial killer is on the lose. . .Why don't we report such cases to the police? When a dead body is found people try to identify it and then bury it, no one calls the police to come, when the police comes people don't want to coperate by speaking up, some people go as far as saying that it is the will of god. . .I know that our police lack the capacity to conduct such complicated investigations, but some little lead here and there can help. . .

I am just angry today so my rants might not seem coherent. . .I seriously believe that many people kill their family members both nuclear and extended or spouses and claim they died in their sleep or had a domestic accident and the issue just dies like that, no investigation, no questioning, nothing. . .Imagine a husband telling people that he found his wife's body in the bath room, he said she fell and died and that's all. . .People just accepted that explanation with out any question, next thing people are praying for her soul and reciting Arabic verses from the Koran. . .what is that?. . .Am pissed. . .

we lack investigative intelligence and dont care about others but our selfish selves

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 08, 2013
Karma is a bytch! He which kills by the sword, dies by the sword.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by slap1(m): 1:15pm On Aug 08, 2013
Who get time?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Two Suspected One-Chance Robbers Escape As Mob Tries To Set Them Ablaze / Father Burns His 8-Year-Old Daughter's Hand For Stealing In Kaduna (Graphic Pic) / Police Arrests Suspected Armed Robbers In Akwa Ibom (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.