Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud (8587 Views)

Two Arrested For $50,000 Internet Fraud (photo) / Man Jailed 5 Years For Setting Pregnant Woman Ablaze; Photo / Blessing Effiong Has Been In Detention For 4 Years Over Phone Theft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by kufreabasi(m): 1:59pm On Jun 03, 2008
An Ikeja High Court, presided over by Justice Mufutau Oloko-Oba, has sentenced a middle aged man, Enyinnaya Nnadozie Nwokeafor, to six years in jail for attempting to obtain 3,000 Euros and $5,000 from two Britons under false pretence.

Nwokeafor, who pleaded guilty to the three-count charge of obtaining money under false pretence and forgery played the fast one on Mr. Lan Frost and Dr. Jorge Tamariz V.

In the charge sheet marked ID/173C/2006, the man was accused of attempting to obtain 3,000 Euros from Mr. Frost by falsely presenting to him through an e-mail dated July 26, 2006 that he was “'Margaret Sawers”' and that the money was the cost of Government Stamp Duty required by the government of Netherlands from every international transfer of funds above $500,000.

He was also accused of making an attempt to defraud Dr. Tamariz V. of $ 5,000 through an e-mail dated June 5, 2006 that he was “'Anna Von Fronkson” and that the money was the cost of legalising his victim’s fund transfer.

During trial, a personal computer with which the accused was said to be carrying out his nefarious activities was tendered as an exhibit by the prosecution.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/03062008/news/news19.html
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by krama(m): 2:02pm On Jun 03, 2008
Good!
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by madamkoko: 2:10pm On Jun 03, 2008
EEYYYAAAA undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Like politicians, like citizens.

Corrupt leaders inspire corrupt behaviors.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by kufreabasi(m): 2:14pm On Jun 03, 2008
madamkoko you right
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by noetic(m): 2:23pm On Jun 03, 2008
I hope this serves as a lesson to others.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by dee02(m): 2:34pm On Jun 03, 2008
I doubt it would serve as a deterrent, the case in Nigeria is beyond giving 6yrs to crimes like that

Corruption has eaten deep into Nigerians in all angles and as long as poverty level worsen, people would continue to commit crimes

Maybe a good few more years would have been fine, but nonetheless serves you slowpoke right!
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by landis(m): 2:45pm On Jun 03, 2008
Shocking!!!

This is too hash for a first-time offender and for an 'ATTEMPT TO DEFRUAD'

So how much will they give OBJ that defrauded Nigerians of $16Bill or Soludo that defrauded us of $17bill.

what a country,
angry grin angry
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by tboy1(m): 3:37pm On Jun 03, 2008
landis:

Shocking!!!

This is to hash for a first-time offender and for an 'ATTEMPT TO DEFRUAD'

So how much will they give OBJ that defrauded Nigerians of $16Bill or Soludo that defrauded us of $17bill.

what a country,
angry grin angry

Can you believe!!!
Although i don't condone what the dude's done, i have to stay all those nigerian judges are mental.
There are people who have already stolen billions and this same idiotic judges let them go, and here we have a case of 'Attempt to Defraud' i.e he's not taken the money yet and he's jailed for 6 years
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by dee02(m): 3:47pm On Jun 03, 2008
If it was in the UK

He would probably get a good few days in an open jail

Plasma TV with cable

3course meal all day

Some pocket money

Regular visits

A nice gym to tone up his muscles

And a few drugs to keep his spirits high!
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by tboy1(m): 3:51pm On Jun 03, 2008
dee02:

If it was in the UK

He would probably get a good few days in an open jail

with a plasma TV

3course meal all day

A nice gym to tone up his muscles

And a few drugs to keep his spirits high!

He would have got like 2-3 yrs and he'll do half
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by SkyBlue1: 3:52pm On Jun 03, 2008
It is sad that this is going on and this guy is basically going to waste years of his life. However, without getting sentimental what would we all have said if the "attempt" was successful and some guy with three kids and a mortgage parted with his life savings? The thought that this will serve as a significant detterent is laughable. You have a country were people in high positions steal money all the time and NOTHING happens to them, they are even celebrated and flaunt the ill gotten wealth in the faces of the starving masses in what is the height of insensitivity and nothing happens. Yet it is some student that will serve as deterrent? It is sad but he did commit a crime after all. @tboy, being mad at the judge because some political criminals are walking free will only make sense if political office holders where also prosecuted and focused on as well by the EFCC. The judge was just doing his job.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by Seun(m): 3:55pm On Jun 03, 2008
The three 2-year sentenses are running concurrently. He'll be in jail for only two years.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by dee02(m): 3:55pm On Jun 03, 2008
tboy1:

He would have got like 2-3 years and he'll do half

exactly

but prison term for 1-2yrs is a good few days or a good few weeks

don't ask me if i have been to a prison or been jailed before  grin
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by kufreabasi(m): 3:58pm On Jun 03, 2008
dont mind them,an adirge saya 'shit can always trouble the yougest anus'
that's nigeria for you.OBJ and others are there untouchable.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by tboy1(m): 4:00pm On Jun 03, 2008
Sky Blue:

It is sad that this is going on and this guy is basically going to waste 6 years of his life. However, without getting sentimental what would we all have said if the "attempt" was successful and some guy with three kids and a mortgage parted with his life savings? The thought that this will serve as a significant detterent is laughable. You have a country were people in high positions steal money all the time and NOTHING happens to them, they are even celebrated and flaunt the ill gotten wealth in the faces of the starving masses in what is the height of insensitivity and nothing happens. Yet it is some student that will serve as deterrent? It is sad but he did commit a crime after all. @tboy, being mad at the judge because some political criminals are walking free will only make sense if political office holders where also prosecuted and focused on as well by the EFCC. The judge was just doing his job.

I understand what you mean but the judges are also equally to blame.
Are u telling me not enough evidence was presented for all the political office holders cases that went though the corrupt judiciary system e.g Diepreye Alamieyeseigha or Ibori?
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by tboy1(m): 4:01pm On Jun 03, 2008
dee02:

exactly

but prison term for 1-2yrs is a good few days or a good few weeks

don't ask me if i have been to a prison or been jailed before  grin

I was not going to ask grin grin
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by dee02(m): 4:06pm On Jun 03, 2008
tboy1:

I was not going to ask grin grin

Good man! grin
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by landis(m): 4:07pm On Jun 03, 2008
Seun:

The three 2-year sentenses are running concurrently. He'll be in jail for only two years.

If Nigeria is Serious:

This guy should spent 8months if well behaved, he should be release.

We should assembly them to work behind enemy lines in Dafur/Afghanistan/Iraqi etc

UK populated Austrialia with thier criminals!!!

grin cheesy grin
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by Blatant: 4:11pm On Jun 03, 2008
How long did the ex-gov Alayagbangba get in prison?
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by achinu(m): 4:12pm On Jun 03, 2008
This is BIGGEST PROBLEM with Nigeria, our selective judicial systems or like the new term DUE-PROCESS! A citizen is being sentenced to jail for 6yrs for a crime that involved 2 GREEDY PARTIES (THE DUPE & THE DUPED) & yet all the PAST & PRESENT GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL walk around FREE, BEATING their CHEST with all their ILL-GOTTEN WEALTH!!! Even the JUDGES themselves are dirty. You want to make a dent on crime, how about they start from all the abusers of office!! NONSENSE cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by Amax(m): 4:13pm On Jun 03, 2008
Really
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by tboy1(m): 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2008
Blatant:

Alamieyeseigha pleaded guilty to six charges and was sentenced to two years in prison on each charge= 12 years
but they said because the sentences were set to run concurrently and the time was counted from the point of his arrest nearly two years before the sentences, his actual sentence was relatively very very short. Just hours after being taken to prison, he was released due to time already served.

This is someone that stole billions!!!
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jun 03, 2008
Great news.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by dee02(m): 4:21pm On Jun 03, 2008
Blatant:

that monster of a cross dresser got nada, got released almost immediately after sentencing!
he was lavishing because the sentences ran concurrently and he had apparently spent some time in custody!
all d same, it was shady and why? becoz hez another thieving fry-pan mouthed politician who thinks hez above the law!
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by Xerxes4(m): 4:41pm On Jun 03, 2008
tboy1:

He would have got like 2-3 years and he'll do half

As a first offender and it was an ATTEMPT(he never got to spend the dough), he would get 6 months in the UK!!!!

My problem is the victims were also fraudulent so why go to the Police after being duped?
Nigerian authorities need to be looking at the other side of the coin as well. . . . . . .
I don't think EFCC/Met. Police would lock a Briton that defrauded a Nigerian, would they?
While i condemn Mr. Nwokeafor for his evil deeds, a law should be set for some victims who are also looking to make money they never worked for.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by tboy1(m): 4:46pm On Jun 03, 2008
~Xerxes~:

As a first offender and it was an ATTEMPT(he never got to spend the dough), he would get 6 months in the UK!!!!

My problem is the victims were also fraudulent so why go to the Police after being duped?
Nigerian authorities need to be looking at the other side of the coin as well. . . . . . .
I don't think EFCC/Met. Police would lock a Briton that defrauded a Nigerian, would they?
While i condemn Mr. Nwokeafor for his evil deeds, a law should be set for some victims who are also looking to make money they never worked for.

That's one of the reason i'm surprised because if the case was between 2 nigerians i really doubt this dude would get 6yrs. The Judge would probably tell them to settle out of court or the case would not even make it to court.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by Blatant: 4:49pm On Jun 03, 2008
Why is it that the so-called 419 victims never get charged for attempting to steal or obtain money that does not belong to them?
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by dee02(m): 4:52pm On Jun 03, 2008
But wait,

If he got six years some a couple of grand of dollars

Then i think NWUDE who brought down a whole investment bank in brazil should have been hung, drawn and quartered!
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by doncaster(m): 4:53pm On Jun 03, 2008
~Xerxes~:

Thats why they call us 3rd world country. It takes two to tango but in this case they only prosecute one person and sympatise with the other.
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by lalaboi(m): 4:57pm On Jun 03, 2008
na wa oh! na so the guy just go resit secondary school! 6 years
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by tboy1(m): 4:58pm On Jun 03, 2008
dee02:

But wait,

If he got six years some a couple of grand of dollars

Then i think NWUDE who brought down a whole investment bank in brazil should have been hung, drawn and quartered!

What of Jerome Kerviel, he finished that bank almost £4bn
Re: Man Jailed For 'Six' Years Over Internet Fraud by dee02(m): 5:00pm On Jun 03, 2008
As i am typing right now,another fraud letter has arrived in my inbox live and direct from a dinghy cyber cafe in Lagos or Onitsha!! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NDLEA Arrests 2 With 2.615kg Cocaine In Ceramics, Buttons At MMIA / Akwa-Ibom Chief Kidnapped In His Palace / Sheikh Gumi: Report Of My Brother’s Kidnap Mischievous, Misleading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.