Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

I Think I Have Aspergers - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Think I Have Aspergers (1692 Views)

My Marriage Is Crashing, I Think I Hate Him...Help / I Think I Am Pregnant / Your Sincere Opinion To A Sister Please!- Do you think I can get married again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think I Have Aspergers by albuquerque(f): 10:20pm On Aug 10, 2013
I dunno if this is depression but I was thinking about my life and I see I have like zero friends. My social interaction is awkward and has always been right from secondary school. I was never popular and no matter how hard I try it always backfires. I have few but narrow range of interests which I m good at. I shy away from large social gatherings and sometimes I ve been scared to enter a room full of popular people cuz I feel intimidated by them and their social adeptness. I just bumped into some classmates of mine who are now married and rocking babies and I think me not being in that strata has something to do with it. I honestly don't know where introversion ends and Aspergers begins. I m supposed to be dating but I think 'he's just not that into me' as the movie title goes. Anyhow i dont think this has anything to do with him. This is all about me. I think I just have to accept that this is my life cuz whenever I compare it to others it's not worth it. Destiny........o destiny........this is what I am and I dunno how to change it. God is my strength . Pray for me
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 10, 2013

5 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 10, 2013
The little you've mentioned sounds more like social anxiety than Asperger's (doesn't necessarily mean that's what you have but that's the first idea that popped into my mind)

Behavioral therapy through a psychologist can help this. Also anti-anxiety medications could really go a long way to help. A combination of both would be ideal. See a trained professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment before the depression becomes overwhelming.

More information about social anxiety here to see if it fits your situation...

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/

All the best!
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by EfemenaXY: 10:44pm On Aug 10, 2013
albuquerque: I dunno if this is depression but I was thinking about my life and I see I have like zero friends. My social interaction is awkward and has always been right from secondary school. I was never popular and no matter how hard I try it always backfires. I have few but narrow range of interests which I m good at. I shy away from large social gatherings and sometimes I ve been scared to enter a room full of popular people cuz I feel intimidated by them and their social adeptness. I just bumped into some classmates of mine who are now married and rocking babies and I think me not being in that strata has something to do with it. I honestly don't know where introversion ends and Aspergers begins. I m supposed to be dating but I think 'he's just not that into me' as the movie title goes. Anyhow i dont think this has anything to do with him. This is all about me. I think I just have to accept that this is my life cuz whenever I compare it to others it's not worth it. Destiny........o destiny........this is what I am and I dunno how to change it. God is my strength . Pray for me

How can you be so sure you've got asperger's syndrome? Has this been confirmed from tests run by a qualified medical team?

That notwithstanding, look at the bright side. Your intelligence level's probably above normal. You must be quite brainy. Wasn't Einstein the same too?

And please, don't go comparing your life to that of others. Nobody's perfect. We're all different and unique in our own special ways. smiley

1 Like

Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by Nobody: 10:50pm On Aug 10, 2013
In 90 out of 100...A typical individual with Asperger's syndrome is unable to write a constructive essay like you just did, except someone helped you with the OP.

The only Asperger's related symptom you mentioned is your poor social skills / anxiety but there're a whole lot of Disabilities with same symptoms e.g schizophrenia, FSX syndrome, Autism and so on

Go see a proffessional for diagnosis then you can go from there...

Mind you, one can live a normal life with support if you have intellectual or learning disability, Its not the end of the world...keep an open mind. Good luck. smiley
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by EfemenaXY: 10:52pm On Aug 10, 2013
^^ Jide, are you sure about that?

Asperger's syndrome is at the high end of the autistic spectrum, isn't it?

So if anything, @OP will be highly intelligent. Kind of like a geek sef.
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 10, 2013
I'm sure... Intelligent yes .

Having a learning disability does not mean a person is incapable of learning; rather that they learn in a different way.
Many people with a learning disability develop strategies to compensate to circumvent their difficulties.

Her print are just too perfect for Aspergers syndrome ... My years of experience I haven't met / seen one yet.

Ofcourse except she got help.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 11, 2013
Babe ur happiness starts when you decide you will make YOURSELF happy notwithstanding what people think or feel,

Trust ME, we all have issues, some are just very good at hiding their own...if it cheers u up.
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by hunter21(m): 12:35am On Aug 11, 2013
i want you to know that your social withdrawal might be to a greater extent attributed to the fact that some so called friends have being telling you that you have a social problem, and the more they tell you, the more you belive it. The more you belive it, the more you become it. You are probably one of those people who flow with all the hypocrisy that goes on in the name of friendship. Aka introvert. Please visit the thread below.
https://www.nairaland.com/1292437/10-myths-introverts
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by HCF(m): 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2013
I'm neither a psychologist nor a mental health expert.But my little knowledge of anxiety disorders tells me your problem is not aspergers syndrome,rather it could be,like someone pointed out,a social anxiety disorder.

If it is SAD,then you can overcome it according to experts.

Try and read books on personality traits, like 'personality plus' by florence littauer,and 'why you act the way you do',i don forget the autor of that one o.lol.

It will then dawn on you that you are not alone,being an introvert. In fact you are very normal and the people you see exhibiting radiance are not necessarily happier than you. ''Never envy the appearance of happiness in anyone,because you dont know their secret griefs!''.

About friends,what you need are quality friends.They may be two or three. Trust me you'l find happiness in such a relationship than being sorrounded by hundreds of parasitic people often referred to as 'friends'.

Lastly,go out of your comfort zone once in a while. Yes,it 'desensitizes' you.Go to parties,dinners religious gatherings,cinemas,alumni meetings etc.In the process,you'l surely make mistakes(socially,i mean) but dont give up. Learn to laugh at yourself,when you make such social blunders knowing that nobody gets good witout making mistakes!....Cheers.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by tpia5: 9:49pm On Aug 11, 2013
join an asperger support group.
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by greatgod2012(f): 10:17pm On Aug 11, 2013
H.C.F:
I'm neither a psychologist nor a mental health expert.But my little knowledge of anxiety disorders tells me your problem is not aspergers syndrome,rather it could be,like someone pointed out,a social anxiety disorder.

If it is SAD,then you can overcome it according to experts.

Try and read books on personality traits, like 'personality plus' by florence littauer,and 'why you act the way you do',i don forget the autor of that one o.lol.

It will then dawn on you that you are not alone,being an introvert. In fact you are very normal and the people you see exhibiting radiance are not necessarily happier than you. ''Never envy the appearance of happiness in anyone,because you dont know their secret griefs!''.

About friends,what you need are quality friends.They may be two or three. Trust me you'l find happiness in such a relationship than being sorrounded by hundreds of parasitic people often referred to as 'friends'.

Lastly,go out of your comfort zone once in a while. Yes,it 'desensitizes' you.Go to parties,dinners religious gatherings,cinemas,alumni meetings etc.In the process,you'l surely make mistakes(socially,i mean) but dont give up. Learn to laugh at yourself,when you make such social blunders knowing that nobody gets good witout making mistakes!....Cheers.

Why you act the way you do::::::: by Tim Lahaye
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 12, 2013
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by HCF(m): 5:07am On Aug 12, 2013
greatgod2012:

Why you act the way you do::::::: by Tim Lahaye
yes. Thanks!!
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by Gratata(m): 10:12pm On Aug 02, 2016
I just read an article on this, turns out I'm far worse
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by KanwuliaExtra: 1:27pm On Aug 03, 2016
Gratata:
I just read an article on this, turns out I'm far worse

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: I Think I Have Aspergers by Richy4(m): 2:30pm On Aug 03, 2016
If u are a christian and usually go to church, Start with ushering in the church.... Ask the head of the team to put u at the main door where a lot of people comes in...

Even try and explain to him or her that u were trying to over come the spirit of fear and shyness.... Immediately u mention spirit, he will understand Lol. .

Start with that, it will help u big time...

(1) (Reply)

Ghost Moments With Crazy Friends. / Boy Shares Photos Of His 50-year-old Mum Who Looks Like His Girlfriend / Blume Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.