Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,735 members, 7,827,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend (2783 Views)

The Need To Eliminate Wage Disparity In Nigerian Public Sectors / A Theory Of Value Vs. Need – The Need For Personal Development. / Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by since1914(m): 7:55pm On Aug 17, 2013
delors:
If there was no money for research, ASUU would have gone on strike for that purpose alone or betterstill, claim that the present strike is because there is no fund for quality research. We all know the present strike is a result of the lecturers' demands for salaries and arrears...not research funds. i think our so called lecturers have misplaced their priorities and they do not care for the students. They form the bulk of the problems we have in that sector truly. i can list their faults:
1. No improved teachings (same old things), no research
2. They do not encourage the students, they exploit them and paint a bleak future (some of my highly trained lecturers did that).
3. they sell copy-and-paste, buy-and-pass handouts to students
4. They exploit the students monetarily and sexually
The list goes on.

Lets even just imagine for a brief moment that the funding they are getting from the government is not enough for their research, can't they look elsewhere for funds if they believe so much in their ability to come up with something tangible? Besides, there are organizations around the world looking for researchers to back irrespective of their location... I know someone who even sold his only car to finance his intellectual research work, how can such a person not be successful in life.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Djtm(m): 12:13am On Aug 18, 2013
since_1914:
Lets even just imagine for a brief moment that the funding they are getting from the government is not enough for their research, can't they look elsewhere for funds if they believe so much in their ability to come up with something tangible? Besides, there are organizations around the world looking for researchers to back irrespective of their location... I know someone who even sold his only car to finance his intellectual research work, how can such a person not be successful in life.
There are organizations sponsoring researches in Nigeria but any discovery will be in their name. You won't know until you see one. I didn't know too, until I met some of them. Read my earlier posts.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by zebra(m): 8:07am On Aug 18, 2013
Djtm:
There are organizations sponsoring researches in Nigeria but any discovery will be in their name. You won't know until you see one. I didn't know too, until I met some of them. Read my earlier posts.
What are u still saying? Government provide research grants to universities every year. That is one of the mandates of the university, and it is their right that such funds is made available annually for them to carry out researches. If government were nnnt providing these funds ASUU would have included that as part of their reasons for going on strike. I still repeat, they collect these funds and use them for some other things and not research. Only very few lecturers in nigeria (less than 10% ) are actually engaged in research. I know of one in ABU, Prof Nok.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 11:56am On Aug 18, 2013
I think companies like Beecham, Orange drugs, MTN, Glo, Nestle, Cadbury, Coscharis, etc should also be involved in university research getting professors to do it. Why arent they involved anyway? I know of several foundations in North America sponsoring university research. Several health institutions sponsor research for new grounds daily. why don't we have that in Nigeria? Poverty of reasoning and scheming.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Djtm(m): 1:24pm On Aug 18, 2013
zebra: What are u still saying? Government provide research grants to universities every year. That is one of the mandates of the university, and it is their right that such funds is made available annually for them to carry out researches. If government were nnnt providing these funds ASUU would have included that as part of their reasons for going on strike. I still repeat, they collect these funds and use them for some other things and not research. Only very few lecturers in nigeria (less than 10% ) are actually engaged in research. I know of one in ABU, Prof Nok.
I don't know if they are given money for research or not. Even if they are, I'm sure it is always embezzled at senate (university senate) level and it doesn't get to the lecturers. I know only a few percentage of lecturers carry out research. I think the money doesn't get to the lecturers (i.e if it's actually being allocated) or even the department.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by zebra(m): 2:22pm On Aug 18, 2013
Djtm:
I don't know if they are given money for research or not. Even if they are, I'm sure it is always embezzled at senate (university senate) level and it doesn't get to the lecturers. I know only a few percentage of lecturers carry out research. I think the money doesn't get to the lecturers (i.e if it's actually being allocated) or even the department.
You are now talking. That was why i said they use the funds for other purposes other than research. There is a research work done by some nigerian academicians which i would love u to go thru. The research findings stated that "research funds are available for researchers to access, but because most nigerian academicians have nothing new to bake in the academic oven, these funds are not accessed and used for the intended purpose of researching and coming out with new inventions and techniques that will help solve societal problems". I will try and get the site and post here. Regards.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 2:48pm On Aug 18, 2013
zebra: You are now talking. That was why i said they use the funds for other purposes other than research. There is a research work done by some nigerian academicians which i would love u to go thru. The research findings stated that "research funds are available for researchers to access, but because most nigerian academicians have nothing new to bake in the academic oven, these funds are not accessed and used for the intended purpose of researching and coming out with new inventions and techniques that will help solve societal problems". I will try and get the site and post here. Regards.
Correct, let's have the site so we'd know whom exactly to direct our words to especially on this research issue. Most of our lecturers are actually lazy and outdated...I wonder what history lecturers really have to research sad Nothing. They keep teaching the same garbage one could easily read up online. And when you ask them a question that challenges them intellectually, na only God go make that person pass that course. SMH
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Djtm(m): 4:48pm On Aug 18, 2013
delors:
Correct, let's have the site so we'd know whom exactly to direct our words to especially on this research issue. Most of our lecturers are actually lazy and outdated...I wonder what history lecturers really have to research sad Nothing. They keep teaching the same garbage one could easily read up online. And when you ask them a question that challenges them intellectually, na only God go make that person pass that course. SMH
well, that would apply to most history lecturers in the world. About lazy lecturers, I've seen some crazily lazy lecturers that would sit in their office while students are in class waiting. You'll all disperse after the class rep has visited their office about 3 times.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by Djtm(m): 4:54pm On Aug 18, 2013
zebra: You are now talking. That was why i said they use the funds for other purposes other than research. There is a research work done by some nigerian academicians which i would love u to go thru. The research findings stated that "research funds are available for researchers to access, but because most nigerian academicians have nothing new to bake in the academic oven, these funds are not accessed and used for the intended purpose of researching and coming out with new inventions and techniques that will help solve societal problems". I will try and get the site and post here. Regards.
funds meant for maintenance are always embezzled not to talk of research funds. The money gets squandered by the 'ogas at the top'. I don't understand how you'll steal from something that isn't enough.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by zebra(m): 7:16pm On Aug 18, 2013
Find attached copy of the research work in pdf.

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by gnot: 9:49am On Aug 19, 2013
inyanya invented KUKERE IN 2010
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 12:30pm On Aug 19, 2013
gnot: inyanya invented KUKERE IN 2010
You try.
Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by ghostofsparta(m): 1:53am On Aug 21, 2013
@Delors

I followed the link to this thread of yours from the other Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google thread

You make so many points, but never hammered one, hence I have this to say to you and everyone who cares to know.

Nothing great may ever come out of Nigeria if we don't forfeit these foreign religions and go back to harness the knowledge and powers from our ancestral legacies and traditions. Go through my posts, I have gone through yours.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend by delors(m): 4:39pm On Aug 21, 2013
ghostofsparta: @Delors

I followed the link to this thread of yours from the other Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google thread

You make so many points, but never hammered one, hence I have this to say to you and everyone who cares to know.

Nothing great may ever come out of Nigeria if we don't forfeit these foreign religions and go back to harness the knowledge and powers from our ancestral legacies and traditions. Go through my posts, I have gone through yours.

Yeah, thanks. Although I don't understand the point that i didnt hammer one down or something. Anyway, it is obvious the problems are numerous and so are the solutions. It is not really a one-problem phenomenon here.
thanks for checking out my thread. Will pay back (in kind wink) Off to yours.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Result Of Trade And Non Trade Of Nigerian Airforce Recruitment 2014 Is Out / COREN Registration Made Easy / `

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.