Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,289 members, 7,818,983 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

New Plate Number And Driver's License - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Plate Number And Driver's License (33965 Views)

Check Out This Weird Plate Number / New Plate Number: How Much In Lagos? / LASTMA Fighting Passengers And Driver At Obanikoro Bus-stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Plate Number And Driver's License by talktrue1(m): 8:59am On Aug 12, 2013
The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said that the old number plates and the old driver’s licence would expire by Sept. 30, 2013.
The commission said, “By October 1, 2013, it will be an offence for any owner or operator of a vehicle to still have affixed, old number plates on his/her vehicle as the deadline for the use of old plates is September 30, 2013.
When the new plates were introduced last year, the Corps Marshal and Chief Executive Officer, FRSC, Mr. Osita Chidoka, had explained that it was to ensure the safety and security of Nigerians and that the new plates were intended to tie a number plate to an individual or organisation. “Before, it was possible for you to sell your car with your number plate; but nowadays, number plates are registered in the name of the owner”
http://www.punchng.com/news/old-number-plates-invalid-by-sept-30-2013/
http://news.naij.com/37704.html

My view on the plate numbers:
The policy of attaching number plate to an individual is not the best. Plate number should be tied to a vehicle just like the Chassis number.
I am looking at a scenario where a police man stops a vehicle. The officer in the car will immediately key in the plate number of the vehicle in any database equipment on him, and the details of that car and the owner will appear. They can now approach the driver for confirmation and then, off you go.
But if a plate number is attached to an individual, maybe I registered my Toyota corolla and later sold it to buy a Honda jeep and I will then transfer the plate number to the jeep. When a police man stops me, the details of the number on the jeep will be for the Toyota corolla.
Unless they expect us to throw away the plate number of the car being sold and obtain another one for the newly purchased car which means that you will start seeing plate numbers in the dust bin.

On the issue of driver’s license:
Every driver’s license expires after 4 years. If the corps marshal introduces a new driver’s license, all he need to do is to give a space of 4 yrs from the date they started producing the new one. Anybody that comes for renewal or new one will get the new driver’s license and after 4 years which you know everybody must have renewed their own thereby getting the required one, you can now enforce it. But the problem is that the corps marshal wants to make money in his own time as he introduced it by giving only 1 year. The transformation in aviation industry today started when Kema chikwe was there. That of telecoms also started even before Obj became president but was completed during his tenure, and so many others. If he is not interested in the money, he should consider people whose driver’s license are still valid and will expire next year.

Whats your opinion?

35 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Beaf1: 10:24am On Aug 12, 2013
^
Good points especially the Driver's license part.

If plate numbers carries ONLY owner's details and NOT the cars then there will be a problem. One example is: When a car is snatched or stolen, all the thief will need to do is remove the plates and install his own. With that it will be difficult to trace him. You making a police report with your plate number will be USELESS because that number will not be on your vehicle anymore.

5 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Tolexander: 10:54am On Aug 12, 2013
Ok
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by talktimi(m): 11:18am On Aug 12, 2013
I heard from unconfirmed sources that our amiable first lady got the contract for the new number plates and drivers licence. Maybe thats the reason for the rush

2 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by wola44: 11:45am On Aug 12, 2013
The driver license is a false, The processing time is not 2-3 weeks as mentioned , FRSC office gave me next year February 2014 to come back and capture, what a shame to Nigeria ( 9 months to process driver license)

5 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 12, 2013
The whole process involved in getting the license and the objective is total rubbish.....
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by eagleeye2: 11:59am On Aug 12, 2013
Thought one can contimue with the old drivers licence untill it expires and you will then renew with the new one.....?
Anyway, am going to ask my neighbour who works for FRSC.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by otokx(m): 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2013
Was told to pick up my new drivers licence at RSBIR office at william jumbo street by end of may. Went there end of June and its not ready; repeated end of July same story. Met a guy who has been doing same since February. Why do our leaders punish us wickedly?

3 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by talktrue1(m): 1:17pm On Aug 12, 2013
eagle,eye:
Thought one can contimue with the old drivers licence untill it expires and you will then renew with the new one.....?
Anyway, am going to ask my neighbour who works for FRSC.

Pls ask and let us know his view
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by slinkman(m): 1:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
aight... on it
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by NairaFeast(f): 1:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
That's ok . . .
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 12, 2013
Confusion everywhere..policy somersault here and there.

Some of us had wanted a stable government that can last minimum of five years ---first term and ten years for two terms.

This current four year stuff is really suffocating as everyone wants to hit it big...bla bla bla...
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Siga: 2:03pm On Aug 12, 2013
....I believe the owner and the car details should be attached to every plates.... if and when u change ur car... it should be updated accordingly....

5 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 12, 2013
somborry will become a billionaire thru this fuckkery. That's for sure.

2 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Delafruita(m): 2:06pm On Aug 12, 2013
otokx: Was told to pick up my new drivers licence at RSBIR office at william jumbo street by end of may. Went there end of June and its not ready; repeated end of July same story. Met a guy who has been doing same since February. Why do our leaders punish us wickedly?
mine was since november and I am still yet to get it.I still don't understand the rationale behind changing number plates for the purpose of attaching plate numbers to individuals.why not just ask people to reregister their plate numbers and give a period for it?in that way they achieve the same thing without causing hardship to ordinary nigerians.besides this their concept is archaic and counterproductive.a person could steal a car and just put his own plate numbers.what happens to those who have multiple cars?

3 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by addictiv(m): 2:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
[size=14pt]what will they do if the plates expire? catch every vehicle on the highway.....this deadline is a joke cos nothing ll happen.....not in this nigeria anyway...[/size]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by YoshiMaster: 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
I don't understand this license plate thing.

Shouldn't a license plate be registered to a Person AND Vehicle?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

A license plate data pull from a database should give you the owners name and the car registered, what am I missing here?

3 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by ugotuf(m): 2:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
They want to act another movie again for us.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by miqos02(m): 2:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
wola44: The driver license is a false, The processing time is not 2-3 weeks as mentioned , FRSC office gave me next year February 2014 to come back and capture, what a shame to Nigeria ( 9 months to process driver license)
you are lucky, i have been processing since 2011
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by yuzedo: 2:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
Tenk God is pravate jet i drives to my alaba bizness Sweetus & Sons but no daugthers Limited aka d eagle have landed ventures! angry angry undecided

8 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Hernadez99: 2:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
Ok
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by darajo: 2:23pm On Aug 12, 2013
The number plate issue: The reason they gave was that of security that it will carry a sensor but when the number was introduced it does not carry and security code. they only bring the local govt. back and inter change the two of them, the cost of the number plate is higher than value of some taxi in Ibadan,kaduna,Uyo how would you expect owner of such taxi to get such num. plate? D L. if you are prayerful it will take you six month in Abuja after payment in the bank and complete your data on line. but if you can go via black market you can get it in a day. God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by MrAboki: 2:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
talk true: The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said that the old number plates and the old driver’s licence would expire by Sept. 30, 2013.
The commission said, “By October 1, 2013, it will be an offence for any owner or operator of a vehicle to still have affixed, old number plates on his/her vehicle as the deadline for the use of old plates is September 30, 2013.
When the new plates were introduced last year, the Corps Marshal and Chief Executive Officer, FRSC, Mr. Osita Chidoka, had explained that it was to ensure the safety and security of Nigerians and that the new plates were intended to tie a number plate to an individual or organisation. “Before, it was possible for you to sell your car with your number plate; but nowadays, number plates are registered in the name of the owner”
http://www.punchng.com/news/old-number-plates-invalid-by-sept-30-2013/
http://news.naij.com/37704.html

My view on the plate numbers:
The policy of attaching number plate to an individual is not the best. Plate number should be tied to a vehicle just like the Chassis number.
I am looking at a scenario where a police man stops a vehicle. The officer in the car will immediately key in the plate number of the vehicle in any database equipment on him, and the details of that car and the owner will appear. They can now approach the driver for confirmation and then, off you go.
But if a plate number is attached to an individual, maybe I registered my Toyota corolla and later sold it to buy a Honda jeep and I will then transfer the plate number to the jeep. When a police man stops me, the details of the number on the jeep will be for the Toyota corolla.
Unless they expect us to throw away the plate number of the car being sold and obtain another one for the newly purchased car which means that you will start seeing plate numbers in the dust bin.

On the issue of driver’s license:
Every driver’s license expires after 4 years. If the corps marshal introduces a new driver’s license, all he need to do is to give a space of 4 yrs from the date they started producing the new one. Anybody that comes for renewal or new one will get the new driver’s license and after 4 years which you know everybody must have renewed their own thereby getting the required one, you can now enforce it. But the problem is that the corps marshal wants to make money in his own time as he introduced it by giving only 1 year. The transformation in aviation industry today started when Kema chikwe was there. That of telecoms also started even before Obj became president but was completed during his tenure, and so many others. If he is not interested in the money, he should consider people whose driver’s license are still valid and will expire next year.

Whats your opinion?

[b]On the issue of Plate Numbers: I have to disagree with you here. I still have my plate number from my Vehicle inCanada which I sold before leaving. The Plate is tied to me. When I sold the vehicle, the owner simply had to go get new plates. Whenever I decide to go back to Canada and get a new car, I will simply append my new plates to the car and register the plates to the new car. Ths is not a problem at all. the Plates serves as an Identifier to the owner of a vehicle. Remember, a vehicle cannot commit a crime, its the owner or the driver that is held liable for whatever offences that is commited with a car. This policy is very welcomed.

On the New operators License however, I have to agree with you. This is a very silly move aimed solely at making money. Licences are already a renewable document and thus this New Licence should have been done using a phase out system sort of liek they did with the international passport. This move just shows that who ever is incharge of this licence scheme is a greedy scheming person. [/b]

5 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by darajo: 2:25pm On Aug 12, 2013
The number plate issue: The reason they gave was that of security that it will carry a sensor but when the number was introduced it does not carry any security code. they only bring the local govt. back and inter change the two of them, the cost of the number plate is higher than value of some taxi in Ibadan,kaduna,Uyo how would you expect owner of such taxi to get such num. plate? D L. if you are prayerful it will take you six month in Abuja after payment in the bank and complete your data on line. but if you can go via black market you can get it in a day. God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by umuahiacctv: 2:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
wola44: The driver license is a false, The processing time is not 2-3 weeks as mentioned , FRSC office gave me next year February 2014 to come back and capture, what a shame to Nigeria ( 9 months to process driver license)
+I got mine in BIR umuahia .I paid on friday and was captured the next monday and I got my tempoary drivers lincense same day.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by integrityfood: 2:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
I have strong conviction that the purpose for new plate and rush driver's licence are for private gains by the igbo man chief executive of FRCE. Let the NASS stop this unwholesome process and call for updating of the current plate number to meet with int"l standard and ppl should just be allowed to go n renew their expired licence without this controversies
pls. D last time i checked, u muist caugh out about 50k to be on d road with this strange n self seeking policy.

2 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by tomzman: 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
miqos02: you are lucky, i have been processing since 2011
What! Since 2011? I also went through hell before I could do capturing. You get there today, machine is not working, next time, another excuse. It took me about 6 months to process mine. Yours is extreme, since2011? thats way too long.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by YoshiMaster: 2:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
Mr Aboki:

[b]On the issue of Plate Numbers: I have to disagree with you here. I still have my plate number from my Vehicle inCanada which I sold before leaving. The Plate is tied to me. When I sold the vehicle, the owner simply had to go get new plates. Whenever I decide to go back to Canada and get a new car, I will simply append my new plates to the car and register the plates to the new car. Ths is not a problem at all. the Plates serves as an Identifier to the owner of a vehicle. Remember, a vehicle cannot commit a crime, its the owner or the driver that is held liable for whatever offences that is commited with a car. This policy is very welcomed.

On the New operators License however, I have to agree with you. This is a very silly move aimed solely at making money. Licences are already a renewable document and thus this New Licence should have been done using a phase out system sort of liek they did with the international passport. This move just shows that who ever is incharge of this licence scheme is a greedy scheming person. [/b]

Where as when someone I know who was selling his car in the U.S, simply sold it with the license plate, signed the title and reported the car sold to the appropriate authorities.

The new owner had to do a change or ownership, and registered the vehicle in his name.

1 Like

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by danherb: 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
I am looking at the situation where the first party wants to sale a car that has the number inscribed all over the body of the car. When the 2nd party who now buys the car has a new plate number different from the one inscribed on the car. Please how can we reconcile this problem of having a plate number different from the one inscribed on the body car by the 1st party?

1 Like

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Ekans: 2:38pm On Aug 12, 2013
I wonder how they will manage the chaos at the expiration of the deadline.Revolution things..
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Youngzedd(m): 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
Another way to milk the nation.

I still have one year left on my driver's license.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Emekayoung(m): 2:43pm On Aug 12, 2013
danherb: I am looking at the situation where the first party wants to sale a car that has the number inscribed all over the body of the car. When the 2nd party who now buys the car has a new plate number different from the one inscribed on the car. Please how can we reconcile this problem of having a plate number different from the one inscribed on the body car by the 1st party?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Someone Just Paid ₦17.5 Billion For This 56 Year-old Ferrari 250 GTO / Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / Lady Teaches Ladies How To Change Car Tyres Better Than Men.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.