Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago (21178 Views)

25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field / Samuel Okwaraji - An Unsung Hero / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 12, 2013
NeuroBoss: Okwaraji was an average player with an undying passion for his country.
The way people talk about erecting monuments makes me think of whether he was a kind of Newton, Einstein, Faraday or Edison-people whose contributions helped change the world. I just think that his story being passed down and assuming a larger-than-life perception from one generation to the next is enough consolation. I feel for the bereaved mother who loved him so much. I feel for Umudioka people whenever I passed there from Orlu for losing a light that would have help in developping their community.
You just contradicted your post. First of all, he's an average player who doesn't deserve all the noise, secondly, Umudioka people lost a light that would have helped developed their community. What the fucck are you spewing?

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
church Agbasa:
Point of correction you don't know how old i am and i don't know how old you are so your elder sister claim holds no waters but that aside your suggestion is wrong.How will you feel after your father was immortalised for another to be renamed with what he was immortalised with.That aside is not done anywhere in Nigeria cause Dan Anyiam had people that also clamoured for his immortalisation just as you are doing.There are other places he can be named after that aside his statue still stands at the National stadium in Surulere which is a rare occurance in the Nigeria.
So who is Dan Anyiam and what has he contributed in sports? I have never heard of him before.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by pharmow: 6:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
RIP to the Legend

This guy displayed one of the greatest patriotism ever shown in the history of the country. He played his heart out while in service of his nation. What has the government of the country done in honor of this hero to immotalize him apart from his decaying statue in front of the dilapidated national stadium in surulere?

PS: This is one of the reasons why so many people question the benefit of giving everything they have to the service of our country

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by delors(m): 6:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
pappilo: This was on my mums 40th birthday and we were having a party.

Oh O(p)araji
Oh O(p)araji
Iwo nikan lowo baba
Iwo nikan lowo mama
Were were lo ge wan lo
Oge wan lege yaya.

Gone but not forgotten
Kollington Ayinla...
Bros, you don old o biko. cheesy
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by SailorXY: 6:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
berem: I expect Imo state government to take the first step by immortalizing Sam Okwaraji since he's from Imo State and Orlu in particular. I don't mind if Dan Anyiam Stadium in Owerri is renamed after him.
Such a joke of a man (or woman?) undecided*who gives a roach's leg*
So he was serving the Imo State government as the time of his death? Even if the Federal Government decides to honor him by renaming the Stadium in Owerri, it must be a National thingy! MKO Abiola has been honored by renaming UNILAG, even tho it was reversed, how exactly was it merited? Abeg go sleep
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by churchAgbasa: 6:54pm On Aug 12, 2013
berem: So who is Dan Anyiam and what has he contributed in sports? I have never heard of him before.
When i asked you how old are you i never intended to insult you cause that's where most Nigerian mind set gear towards but let me school you on who is Dan Anyiam.He was the first Captain of the Nigerian National team in 1949. He was also the first coach of Enugu Rangers and was selector for the national team after the Biafran War.Is he not worth immortalising by the Nigerian Government instead of Imo state government?

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by habiolah(m): 6:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
I waz here!

Kudos to the Lagos state governor. Soon enough, we go dey blame Mikel say hin no dey put all hin energy wen playing for Nigeria. Those who did, we value them not.

Over!
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by dplomaticVal: 7:00pm On Aug 12, 2013
the statue they built in lag havnt done enough justice to the luminous enigma govt cn stil name eyimba stadium or futo aftr him
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
church Agbasa:
When i asked you how old are you i never intended to insult you cause that's where most Nigerian mind set gear towards but let me school you on who is Dan Anyiam.He was the first Captain of the Nigerian National team in 1949. He was also the first coach of Enugu Rangers and was selector for the national team after the Biafran War.Is he not worth immortalising by the Nigerian Government instead of Imo state government?
WTF!! 1949? I give up. you don win! grin
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by SANdos: 7:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
Man this guy was a genius, he was doing a Ph.D in Law when he died.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by nerodenero: 7:08pm On Aug 12, 2013
berem: WTF!! 1949? I give up. you don win! grin
I like your maturity.

5 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 12, 2013
nerodenero: I like your maturity.
Thanks. cool
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by churchAgbasa: 7:11pm On Aug 12, 2013
You are welcome.You remain one of the few ladies i admire here on NL on your stand on the growth and development of the Igbo nation.Keep it up

3 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Lordave: 7:14pm On Aug 12, 2013
church Agbasa:
Oga, if this not from google, I may not be wrong if I say you are older than a century.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 12, 2013
church Agbasa:
You are welcome.You remain one of the few ladies i admire here on NL on your stand on the growth and development of the Igbo nation.Keep it up
awww! so sweet of you. thanks. cheesy
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by mechanicaldummie(m): 7:20pm On Aug 12, 2013
Eeyah!! *wipes off tears with a gala sachet*
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by ketoprofen(m): 7:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
Lordave: Abum numba 1
Abum numba 2
Abum numba thereee Taribo West.
Anam echeta Sam Okwaraji onye Naijiria
Nwuru onwu ike.
Kpa kpa kpa, kpa goalkepper, goalkepper wulie elu tie akwa oche!
Akwa m zuru oke onu
Myiri ya umu uwa ana ako m onu, aku akam!

nna gi muru gi so...

U just reminded me of childhood days..
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Dawdy(m): 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
that was four months before my birth
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by deeptesting(m): 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
May his soul rest in peace......Dont want to take my mind back to those good old days...
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Maxymilliano(m): 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2013

grin grin grin you cracked me up with this. ...
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
Maxymilliano:

grin grin grin you cracked me up with this. ...
ha-ha! I wasn't born then neither were my parents. I had to give up bruv! I gat no choice. grin
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
I wasn't even born then.RIP Okwaraji.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Cathydera(f): 8:01pm On Aug 12, 2013
Abum numba 2
Nwuru onwu ike.
Akwa m zuru oke onu
I can remember that song now. long time
may his soul rest in peace.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Swaginton(m): 8:06pm On Aug 12, 2013
Respect to d dead..bt d myth I heard was dat he died frm kickin a ball whic turned into stone...and d game was against india

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
So this is the person that Alhadji kollington ayinla sang about.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Maxymilliano(m): 8:08pm On Aug 12, 2013
berem: ha-ha! I wasn't born then neither were my parents. I had to give up bruv! I gat no choice. grin

My old woman was 9 years old then grin .

Going by your suggestion, renaming Dan Anyiam to immortalized Sam will be unthinkable. Fatai Atere (a footballer) gat a road named after him in Matori, Lagos, Muda Lawal got similar gesture ( a stadium) from the Ogun State government.

Let's hope the government of the day do the needful, to immortalized Sam apart from just erecting a statue
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by sweethunibun(m): 8:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
rip bro
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by dabossman(m): 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2013
I still remember that day. Siasia was the first to approach him. He immediately put his hand to his head as he beckoned to the sidelines for help. It was a sad day despite the victory. Losing the qualification ticket to Cameroon at the end of the qualifiers made it worse. Hhm, continue to rest in perfect peace Sam.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Elmos: 8:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

http://www.enownow.com/news/story.php?sno=4498
This is not funny, this guy was the first human being that died and I cried, I did cry for more than one month, if you just mentioned Okwaraji, tears will start rolling down my face, I genuinely admired him. He was a Doctorate student in Law when he died, the only one who was combining soccer with quality education.In the Olympic, he was the only one given the Brazilian tough time. he played with his heart. A real patriot. Sleep well Sam.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
Maxymilliano:
My old woman was 9 years old then grin .

Going by your suggestion, renaming Dan Anyiam to immortalized Sam will be unthinkable. Fatai Atere (a footballer) gat a road named after him in Matori, Lagos, Muda Lawal got similar gesture ( a stadium) from the Ogun State government.

Let's hope the government of the day do the needful, to immortalized Sam apart from just erecting a statue
I don't know the state of Orlu township stadium. if am not mistaken, it should be the next popular stadium after Dan Anyiam stadium. Naming Orlu Township Stadium after Sam Okwaraji is also a welcome idea since he's an Orlu indigent.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by 2rutalk1: 8:26pm On Aug 12, 2013
It is most interesting and commendable that Okparaji was such a devoted footballer even with Master of Science Degree in Law. This is what arrogance will not allow many youths of these days to do.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Donpoker9(m): 8:30pm On Aug 12, 2013
Abum numba 2
Nwuru onwu ike.
Akwa m zuru oke onu
i still remember dis song...rip sam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is There Any Reasonable Reason Why Mikel Hasn't Played For Chelsea Yet ??? / Ghana Coach, Addo, Unveils Squad To Face Super Eagles / Tokyo2020: Oborodudu To Fight Mensah-stock In 68kg Freestyle Wrestling Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.