Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,530 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago (21176 Views)

25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field / Samuel Okwaraji - An Unsung Hero / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by kliq(m): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
Legendary...Kip resting in peace!
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by HARDDON: 8:42pm On Aug 12, 2013
rest easy gee!

the last i heard of you was wen a journalist reported that all the money FG promised to your family was never payed.

you are a national hero who shld be immortalized, but NO, FG wud rather celebrate the thieves who bleed this country dry.

once again, rest on easy....oKwaraji! Okawraji!! for once you were a player
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Idongesit619(m): 8:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
texaco1: I remember that match vividly ,keshi scored the only goal through an header jumping above everyone,we were fighting for the top spot with cameroon.but is uche okafor dead or the op made a mistake ?
This particular match sam was all over the field. Immediately he fell down someone sitting beside me said that guy might die ,we all shouted at him that he was talking rubbish and that he was stupid .later on network news it was announced that sam was no more .very very very sad.

Sir,u don tay for this football things oh!
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by dayokanu(m): 8:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
RIP
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Idongesit619(m): 8:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
RIP to the great legend...Good God bless his families.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Hernadez99: 8:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
spongeback: We used to sing this song *singing*
Sam okwaraji was a player as he was playing he fell and died Sam okwaraji he died while he was kicking the ball inside the net.
Keep on resting in peace man
don't be offended oo,but how old are you?
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by nigflue: 8:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful memory of a fallen hero who died in a national assignment.
But unfortunately Nigeria don't remember genuine heroes.
Sam, you're remembered by nigerians on dailypost and nairaland
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by texaco1: 8:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
Idongesit619:

Sir,u don tay for this football things oh!
sam was the only layer that associated freely with the home based , he will enter the same bus with team while keshi and his foreign based friends prove to be big boys , this was one of the reasons he started having problems with keshi , he was a very very humble player. there was a big goulf between the home based and foreign based players then and many thought that it was the home based players that did juju against him ,one of the reasons why the foreign based didn't come for the Algiers 90 cup of nations which was wasteroof first major tournament for us , only yekini was the only foreign based then and he was even playing for either asec mimosa or African sports in cote de voire.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by ignis: 8:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nigeria govt and their empty promises. How on earth should they forget this legend trying to make name for Nigeria.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 12, 2013
Hernadez99: don't be offended oo,but how old are you?
39 why
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Hernadez99: 9:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
spongeback:
39 why
You said something about singing "Samuel O*****ji was a player kinda song!!!

#ThouShallNotFeelOffendedwink
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:30pm On Aug 12, 2013
I was very small then,but I have already gotten intrest in football. RIP Sam O.legend u was
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by blocker: 9:51pm On Aug 12, 2013
The very day Sam Okwaraji died (Saturday 12th August 1989) another midfield maestro was born, he is called TOM CLEVERLY. grin

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by fangzy(m): 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2013
All they ever think of is 2015 election(our politician)
Maxymilliano:
Nigerian govt has done him so much ''good'' by forgetting him. Not a single national monument and/or place named after him. Meanwhile worthless politicians get immortalized before dey even die ...
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by obyikye(f): 10:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
Oh boy, did u grow up in Aba?
Lordave: Abum numba 1
Abum numba 2
Abum numba thereee Taribo West.
Anam echeta Sam Okwaraji onye Naijiria
Nwuru onwu ike.
Kpa kpa kpa, kpa goalkepper, goalkepper wulie elu tie akwa oche!
Akwa m zuru oke onu
Myiri ya umu uwa ana ako m onu, aku akam!
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Simplepton: 10:25pm On Aug 12, 2013
http://cdn.dailypost.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SAMUEL-OKWARAJI.jpg
May the spirit of Nigerians like this man, forgotten patriots, never let the pilfering Nigerian politicians rest for the rest of their life.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by obyikye(f): 10:25pm On Aug 12, 2013
May his soul rest in peace, and may God give us all especially his mother the grace never to remember it in pain again- Amen
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Lordave: 10:43pm On Aug 12, 2013
obyikye: Oh boy, did u grow up in Aba?
yea.
Wha about you?
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by obyikye(f): 10:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
Yes, i represent Market Rd by Asa Rd, what of you?
Lordave: yea.
Wha about you?
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Afam4eva(m): 10:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
Common sense suggests that the stadium where he slumped and died should be renamed after him. if the FG can't immortalize him then the Imo state government should step up to the plate and build a befitting stadium in Orlu to be named Sam Okparaji stadium.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by abbeylua(m): 10:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
nice grin grin grin[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by samclet(m): 11:01pm On Aug 12, 2013
ajanaku2: I see no reason why the National stadium in Surulere, Lagos shouldn't be renamed after him. Afterall, there's another National stadium in Abuja!

That Guy gave his Life for this country and he deservedly deserves to be immortalized!

***In Sir Shina Peter's voice***Eh Okwaraji, Eh Okwaraji, iwo nikan lomo Baba, iwo nikan lomo Iya...ti won ba n gba bolu lorun, ko ge won lege ara!
not sir shina peter but 'Ayinla kolinton'
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Harmvirus(f): 11:03pm On Aug 12, 2013
Lordave: Abum numba 1
Abum numba 2
Abum numba thereee Taribo West.
Anam echeta Sam Okwaraji onye Naijiria
Nwuru onwu ike.
Kpa kpa kpa, kpa goalkepper, goalkepper wulie elu tie akwa oche!
Akwa m zuru oke onu
Myiri ya umu uwa ana ako m onu, aku akam!
I sing that song die
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by sylve11: 11:06pm On Aug 12, 2013
Still remember then. sad sad sad cool
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by tshegs19: 11:13pm On Aug 12, 2013
Wow!! I guess dis is d real story.. May he continue to rest in perfect peace. sad
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by COOLDUN: 11:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
texaco1: I remember that match vividly ,keshi scored the only goal through an header jumping above everyone,we were fighting for the top spot with cameroon.but is uche okafor dead or the op made a mistake ?
This particular match sam was all over the field. Immediately he fell down someone sitting beside me said that guy might die ,we all shouted at him that he was talking rubbish and that he was stupid .later on network news it was announced that sam was no more .very very very sad.

Uche Okafor is dead, he was found dead in his home in a mystrious death in his USA base, he is dead and not a mistake my dear.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by COOLDUN: 11:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
berem: You just contradicted your post. First of all, he's an average player who doesn't deserve all the noise, secondly, Umudioka people lost a light that would have helped developed their community. What the fucck are you spewing?

Don't mind him, describing Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji as an average player shows that he/she was a kid or novice in the history of Nigeria football. Many people just jump into this thread to comment on the matters they know nothing about.

From the first the time Sam was schooling at Eziachi High School Orlu, he was a kid football wizard popularly known then as WASKI PELE, my senior sister who was a member of the famous female Imo state handball team then the GRASHOPPERS of Imo state used to tell us about this great player during their Imo state schools sports competition, i was opportune to watch him on that day he died, he was spotting the No 6 jersey, when he came out last from the National stadium underground tunnel, the whole stadium roared in his praises.

From his first international match for Nigeria against the Algerian desert Warriors in Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium Enugu, he became the most admired Nigerian player then. He was a utility player, a match winner and skilful player. Real professional who knows what to do, without being told.

So i advise this fellow who described Sam Okwaraji as an average player to stop commenting on what he/she doesn't know. The death of Sam Okwaraji brought a very big relief to the Cameroonians who was to be our next opponent then, because the three players the Cameroonians fear much in Nigeria team then were, Sam Okwaraji, Peter Rufai and Henry Nwosu.

Sam Okwaraji still remains one of the most talented and gifted players Nigeria had ever produced.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by texaco1: 11:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
I remember that match too against algeria ,everyone was saying who is this guy,the algerians never knew what hit them,sam displayed some wonderful dribbles and passes ,even hamilton was too impressed,those were the days when keshi was virtually the team selector .sam proved himself different in terms of passion,dedication and discipline .I remember what he told yekini once in training he said "when I move you move don't stand there and wait for me"
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by devour129: 11:54pm On Aug 12, 2013
church Agbasa:
When i asked you how old are you i never intended to insult you cause that's where most Nigerian mind set gear towards but let me school you on who is Dan Anyiam.He was the first Captain of the Nigerian National team in 1949. He was also the first coach of Enugu Rangers and was selector for the national team after the Biafran War.Is he not worth immortalising by the Nigerian Government instead of Imo state government?
church agbasa go

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago by Lordave: 12:06am On Aug 13, 2013
obyikye: Yes, i represent Market Rd by Asa Rd, what of you?
Danfodio by East street.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is There Any Reasonable Reason Why Mikel Hasn't Played For Chelsea Yet ??? / Ghana Coach, Addo, Unveils Squad To Face Super Eagles / Tokyo2020: Oborodudu To Fight Mensah-stock In 68kg Freestyle Wrestling Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.