Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field (21071 Views)

Samuel Okwaraji - An Unsung Hero / Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by ineco(m): 12:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
today make 25 years nw that Samuel okwaraji dead on national stadium surulere, may He soul rest in perfect peace. and his mother snd family were complaining that nothing was done in return of their son.well thsts Nigerian 4u. may He soul rest in perfect peace amen.

17 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Miscellaneous(m): 12:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
Am I the first to comment?

Subscribe to the blog in my signature to read why students failed this year's waec
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by otijah(m): 2:07pm On Aug 12, 2014
anam echeta sam okwaraji onye naijiria nwuru onwu ike, kpa kpa kpa, kpa goali oo goalkeeper efelie elu tie akwaoche.Onye akwaoche.......... grin grin we will keep missing u

40 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by millionboi(m): 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
R.I.P SO
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by zizman: 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
ehyaa cry
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by freshness2020: 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
Oh Okparaji...We miss ♈όϋ so much!
One of the Greatest lost ever in the History of Nigerian Football.
Continue to Sleep well in the Lord!

2 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by holyboss: 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
I bn dey hear say ball turn Rock for hin lag on d field while Nigeria was playing against India Na Hin Kill Am

So na Slump he Slump

Anyway sha RIP

And did I mention 6th to comment grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by stephnie44(f): 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
Rest in peace
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by LyfeJennings(m): 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
8th to comment
someday soon I go enter 1st
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by hazyfm: 2:09pm On Aug 12, 2014
25 YEARS GONE... ALWAYS REMEMBERED

2 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by ramdris(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
Rip sam

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by hazyfm: 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
LyfeJennings: 8th to comment
someday soon I go enter 1st

[size=28pt]MUMU[/size]

14 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Mintayo(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
Rip Samuel
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by rioemmanuel(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
holyboss: .
Miscellaneous: .
pesin die,una still dy kip space.smhh

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by saifuhot: 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
wink[color=#990000][/color][code][/code][/b][b][/b][b]
ineco: today make 25 years nw that Samuel okwaraji dead on national stadium surulere, may He soul rest in perfect peace. and his mother snd family were complaining that nothing was done in return of their son.well thsts Nigerian 4u. may He soul rest in perfect peace amen.
popularly known as okparaji[b]
ineco: today make 25 years nw that Samuel okwaraji dead on national stadium surulere, may He soul rest in perfect peace. and his mother snd family were complaining that nothing was done in return of their son.well thsts Nigerian 4u. may He soul rest in perfect peace amen.
popularly known as okparaji[/b]
popularly known as okparaji
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Leetunechi: 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
Mek we come begin dey cry now or wetin ?

Abi na hin remembrance wan stop ebola undecided

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by yuzjet(m): 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
In case U don't know much about our unsung hero, dis is for u;

Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji (19 May 1964 – 12 August 1989) was a professional footballer who played internationally for Nigeria. He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the University of Rome. He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of a World Cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.

Career
Okwaraji had a career in Europe which included playing for NK Dinamo Zagreb, VfB Stuttgart and SSV Ulm 1846 while finishing his education in law. In his short stay with Dinamo Zagreb, Samuel scored 3 goals in a friendly game vs NK Budućnost Hodošan. The game was played on 30 April 1986, and Dinamo Zagreb won 12-0.

Samuel's only official game for Dinamo in the Yugoslav First League was as a substitute on 18 May 1986 against FK Priština. The game was played at Maksimir stadium in Zagreb, the 29th round of 1985/86 season. Dinamo Zagreb won 4:3.

International career
He made the Green Eagles squad in 1988 and at that year's African Nations Cup he scored one of the fastest goals in the history of the championship against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon. He played along until the final match, where the Eagles lost to their perennial rivals Cameroon by a lone goal. Last game and death Okwaraji collapsed ten minutes from the end of a World Cup Qualifier against Angola in Lagos and died from congestive heart failure. An autopsy showed that the 25-year-old had an enlarged heart and high blood pressure.

"May the Almighty God reward him in heaven. Cos, it's known dat Nigeria government wasn't able to do anything for his family after his demise up till date."

REST IN PEACE SAM.....

22 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by pak: 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
How did I forget ?
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
If to say them dey play ball for heaven, he for don dribble everybody wey dey there finish. RIP

2 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by lifestyle1(m): 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2014

5 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by onatisi(m): 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
I will never forget that match, and the goal stephen keshi scored with that header. Sam was all over the field ,just as if he knew that would be his last match .we needed to win and we won that game but we lost a rare real gem , we lost sam to the cold hands of death .

15 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Abuniga(m): 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
How e take affect me where dey go service by november batch c
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Iceking1(m): 2:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
RIP Sam , mean while Joke of the Day:
Akpos was once employed in a school
and he went to the
class to teach.
The first day.
Akpors: Good morning students
Students: Good
morning sir!
Akpos: I’m going to be your new
biology teacher,
so do u know what we have
this morning?
Students: No sir!
Teacher: Since u don’t know it, there’s
no
point of
teaching u.
Akpos went and came the following
day
with this conversation.
Akpos: Good morning students
Student: Good morning
sir.
Akpos: Do u know what we are having
this
morning? Out of fear of the previous
day,
they said “yes sir”.
Akpos: Since u already know,
there’s no point teaching u again.
The third day.
Akpos: Good morning students
Student: Good morning
sir.
Akpos: Do u know
what we are having this
morning? Out of
confusion some said
Yes, while
some said No.
Akpos: Alright then, let those
that know teach
others who don’t know.

one word for Akpos.....

4 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Adakofortune(m): 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Abuniga(m): 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
hazyfm:

MUMU
u mumu pass am fool
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Leetunechi: 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
otijah: anam echeta sam okwaraji onye naijiria nwuru onwu ike, kpa kpa kpa, kpa goali oo goalkeeper efelie elu tie akwaoche.Onye akwaoche.......... grin grin we will keep missing u

hey niqqa

here nor be igbo palour undecided

3 Likes

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Shaadey: 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2014
RIP
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Abuniga(m): 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2014
Leetunechi: Mek we come begin dey cry now or wetin ?

Abi na hin remembrance wan stop ebola undecided
Bros ur nt suppose to be a human being i guess it was a mistake mumu boy

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2014
nawaoooooooooooooooooo
see engilish self grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Iceking1(m): 2:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
ineco: And his mother snd family were complaining that nothing was done in return of their son.well thsts Nigerian 4u. may He soul rest in perfect peace amen.

do u wnt 2 blame GEJ for dat nw?
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by moscobabs(m): 2:19pm On Aug 12, 2014
na hin score the only goal agaist India when india beat us 99 - 1 that year,may his soul rest in peace grin grin grin grin

na so my papa tell me

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa Donates ₦100 Million To 5,000 Widows, Others In Plateau / Oshoala Scores Again As Barcelona Qualify For Final Of The Catalunya Cup (video) / Emenike, Nsofor, Ameobi Return For Super-Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.