Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,223 members, 7,825,848 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

The Most Expensive Thing In The World. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Most Expensive Thing In The World. (1006 Views)

5 Most Expensive Televisions In Nigeria. / Check Out The World's Most Expensive Smartphone, Costs $15M / The Biggest Thing In The Universe Is Really, Really Big (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Expensive Thing In The World. by Nobody: 1:39am On Aug 14, 2013
The most expensive material on the planet earth is antimatter.It is worth a whopping $62.5 trillion per gram,yes you heard me right.Damn it !!

Scientists claim that antimatter is the costliest material to make.[42] In 2006, Gerald Smith estimated $250 million could produce 10 milligrams of positrons[43] (equivalent to $25 billion per gram); in 1999, NASA gave a figure of $62.5 trillion per gram of antihydrogen.[42] This is because production is difficult (only very few antiprotons are produced in reactions in particle accelerators), and because there is higher demand for other uses of particle accelerators. According to CERN, it has cost a few hundred million Swiss Francs to produce about 1 billionth of a gram (the amount used so far for particle/antiparticle collisions).[44]

Several studies funded by the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts are exploring whether it might be possible to use magnetic scoops to collect the antimatter that occurs naturally in the Van Allen belt of the Earth, and ultimately, the belts of gas giants, like Jupiter, hopefully at a lower cost per gram.[45]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter
Re: The Most Expensive Thing In The World. by mkmyers45(m): 12:16pm On Aug 14, 2013
Very difficult to produce...
Re: The Most Expensive Thing In The World. by ninja4life(m): 7:24am On Aug 15, 2013
Wen i first saw d topic i was like wtf well in d future dat same antimatter may be sold less than 1million dollars per gram even better and efficient production dan d present ones been produced now.
Re: The Most Expensive Thing In The World. by Nobody: 12:45am On Sep 02, 2013
mkmyers45: Very difficult to produce...
Yes,very difficult to produce.
Re: The Most Expensive Thing In The World. by Nobody: 12:46am On Sep 02, 2013
ninja4life: Wen i first saw d topic i was like wtf well in d future dat same antimatter may be sold less than 1million dollars per gram even better and efficient production dan d present ones been produced now.
I don't think so because of it's vast usage especially in nuclear application.

(1) (Reply)

India Launches First Mission To Mars / Laptop Power Bank For Your 24/7 Easy Use / First Warm-blooded Fish Found!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.