Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,743 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira (13051 Views)

Nairaland Ads: 2nd Banner Design Contest / Mini Graphic Design Contest (A "proudly Nigeria(n) design) / Web Banner Design Contest (154x95 Pixel Format) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by Brimmie(m): 5:52pm On Aug 22, 2013
seangy4konji: They want to use the brains of many people..why can't you get someone desing one for you and pay d money...if you feel another upgrade is needed?get him upgrade and pay more or another person...make dem all join head and pay for one abi..naija and their hunger mentality..he is not even offering any one a permanent job..50k dat will finish on red label and croaker fish one night.mumu people

I owe you one bottle of Kunu! Thanks!
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by seangy4konji: 5:53pm On Aug 22, 2013
$300 dollars only.shioooo
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by seangy4konji: 5:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
Give me alomo or heineken...thanks
Brimmie:

I owe you one bottle of Kunu! Thanks!
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by seangy4konji: 5:57pm On Aug 22, 2013
I think na person design d one they are using.if dem no like am?y dem no send dem ge go training.when standard chartered d other day had problems wit their intl trade dpt,dem no recruit for people,dem send d guys weh deh there all over d world go train dem and now they are standard.u no wan spend money abi?
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by akay48(m): 5:58pm On Aug 22, 2013
I think your Oxygen logo needs to include 'O2' and not just the 'O'...#justSaying...smart concept by the way, really smart one. This graphics section will come alive again, atleast.
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by Techwriter: 6:37pm On Aug 22, 2013
Booked
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by mclehwot: 6:49pm On Aug 22, 2013
3 more days to go and im just seeing this...can i animate? or is it a static ad?
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by SSaemoenl(m): 7:33pm On Aug 22, 2013
My Preview

Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by Excelboi(m): 7:55pm On Aug 22, 2013
Brimmie: My cousin did his I.T there Last Year and they have a very good network.

I think the 50grand is too small for a big firm like that.

[b]For those of you asking what format.. Are you that dumb??
You first work on the Logo, then send a preview copy to them which can be in Jpeg or Png!!

If you are lucky enough to be the winner, that's when you 'll need to forward them the Raw File!!

[size=20]Use Adobe Illustrator To Get The Best Logo![/size]

Ain't doing this Kangaroo Logo tho!

What happened to Multi-Choice 1million Logo Contest??[/b]
Don't letme call you an idiiiot.
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by OxygenBroadBand: 8:08pm On Aug 22, 2013
Excelboi: 3 days to go. just seeing this now, even though i dont understand what d op want precisely.

What you are required to do is to come up with a design/illustration of what you think is appropriate or what you would like to see when you enter an Oxygen Hotspot Location. What you think depicts and represents the brand.
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by OxygenBroadBand: 8:18pm On Aug 22, 2013
Dizney: Break down what you mean by hot spot,and if you need superhero comics, you can holla me, I have artworks that will not only let you "breath easy" but take your breath away.

Hotspot in this context means a place where you can access our SuperFast WiFi, it could be a restaurant, coffee shop, etc.

If you think your comics will take breathes away, use them with respect to the requirements and compete. All the Best
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by OxygenBroadBand: 8:23pm On Aug 22, 2013
As we said earlier, we already have a logo, you are not meant to redesign any logo, the logo was supplied so you could insert in your final design.

Thanks.
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by OxygenBroadBand: 8:26pm On Aug 22, 2013
mclehwot: 3 more days to go and im just seeing this...can i animate? or is it a static ad?

Its Static. THANKS
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by kok(m): 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2013
Okija_juju: Question:: To OP:
Clarification on the ownership and usage of these designs.

1. Does submitting designs mean that Oxygen Broadband Co. becomes the owners of such designs thus meaning that the artist waives all claims to the design when once it is submitted.

2. Would the company pay for the usage of the design that wins the competition or does the prize money cover that.

Basically, who has the intellectual Property rights to the Logo? The Competition organizers or the artists?!
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 22, 2013
*sharpens pencil*
*installs photoshop cs6 extended*
*plays eva ft saucekid - crazy*
........[size=20pt]Lights on![/size]........

Working on mine! grin
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by Brimmie(m): 12:10am On Aug 23, 2013
Excelboi: Don't letme call you an idiiiot.

You dnt have to, 'coz i cant be sharing a name wt you! tongue
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by Dizney(m): 12:43am On Aug 23, 2013
I have just finished the work, just expect it any moment from now. When you see it, you can imagine what my Comic Book will be like.
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by turl(m): 1:09am On Aug 23, 2013
Rubbish! Get one person, go through their portfolio and if you're happy, award them the gig.
Crowdsourcing is a slap on the face of the profession.
Your logo has some issues by the way, you probably got that done by a crowdsourced designer.

I don't think you know how a bad design affects brand perception...ok I won't go off on a tangent but this approach to getting things done is the reason the western world will never take us serious. Big IT firm can't get a small design agency to work on a campaign. smh

1 Like

Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by OKX(m): 1:52am On Aug 23, 2013
@turl
while i respect ur opinion (as an artist), its unbalanced (as a biz person).
some lesser known artists can get publicity and needed cash through such a gig.
western companies employ it all the time, even the global brands.
do a little more research.

besides its a voluntary process.
no company balances books by spending more money than they need to, to get things done.
eliminating the middle man if u can, is good business....and dis targets d artist directly. (all d ad agencies i know, rip off d artists whose services they employ)
100 people giving 1 hour beats 1 man giving 100 hours, in my opinion. i wouldn't turn in multiple samples for 50k for example.

if ur issue is dat of credibility dats a different thing.
by the way, critiquing d logo here seems like spite....just saying (art is subjective, bro)
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by qeemus: 7:03am On Aug 23, 2013
Nice reply@okx
OKX: @turl

no company balances books by spending more money than they need to, to get things done.
eliminating the middle man if u can, is good business....and dis targets d artist directly. (all d ad agencies i know, rip off d artists whose services they employ)
100 people giving 1 hour beats 1 man giving 100 hours, in my opinion. i wouldn't turn in multiple samples for 50k for example.

by the way, critiquing d logo here seems like spite....just saying (art is subjective, bro)
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by WebEffectz: 8:38am On Aug 23, 2013
Let the games begin. WE are on!
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by lifestyle1(m): 8:55am On Aug 23, 2013
Let me give this a shot. cheesy

my problem is the limited time. angry

can i illustrate my concept to you ?
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by turl(m): 11:04am On Aug 23, 2013

It's all down to balance mate, anything good costs money and that's why I pointed out that it's a big IT firm and companies like these can easily afford a small ad agency so I don't think budget is an issue here. Crowdsourcing fosters the idea that creatives can be easily sourced like jobless people, you grab what you want and chuck the rest away.

You make a note about lesser known artists getting publicity, this is the internet mate.
If you're good at what you do, you don't need a job like this to get your name out there. It has never been this easy to put your name on the map. I'd understand if they did it for the money but they stand a better chance bidding for jobs on job boards. At least with that, you get to bid and send past projects and only put pen to paper when a deposit has been paid as opposed to working and hoping . I've personally nailed most of my repeat clients from online job boards. Oh and just because western companies do it doesn't make it ethically right. We should always choose the options that leave all parties involved in the transaction happy.

OKX:

I started my post saying 'Rubbish! Get one person, go through their portfolio and if you're happy, award them the gig.'

It's indeed a voluntary process. As you rightfully pointed out, this is just my opinion. Yes you're right about not spending more than is necessary, but that doesn't mean there isn't a better way to go about it as I pointed above. Put a listing out and ask creatives to send similar works from the past and have them explain the brief they were given for that project. From there, you not only understand how they interpret briefs but you get to see the extent to which they can push the envelope and that should help you choose who you think is suitable for the job.

If balancing books is your issue, they can easily put up the same budget but make it so some creatives don't feel insulted. I know I'm not the only one that feels the same because some comments above echo the same sentiments.

OKX:
Yup, you're right about art being subjective but theres a difference between appreciating a picasso piece and knowing a piece was badly done. I say so because I know what the designer was trying to do with a part of the logo but didn't pull it off..and I know because I used to make the same mistake until I got help from a senior creative. And no I won't point it out.
I didn't say it to spite, I'm just drawing a correlation to the way the company had built its brand and how it can affect perception. It sure has affected mine.

Companies that spend hundreds of thousands to millions to get campaigns done are not stupid (the difference between kpekere and plantain chips na the packaging bro).
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by ikebros4u(m): 11:09am On Aug 23, 2013
Read more here
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by turl(m): 11:33am On Aug 23, 2013
Brimmie: My cousin did his I.T there Last Year and they have a very good network.

I think the 50grand is too small for a big firm like that.

For those of you asking what format.. Are you that dumb?? You first work on the Logo, then send a preview copy to them which can be in Jpeg or Png!!

If you are lucky enough to be the winner, that's when you 'll need to forward them the Raw File!!

[size=20]Use Adobe Illustrator To Get The Best Logo![/size]

Ain't doing this Kangaroo Logo tho!

What happened to Multi-Choice 1million Logo Contest??
You don't need Illustrator to get the best logo mate. If you're talking in terms of scalability then yes, a vector program is the way to go. Personally I prefer PS for its rich colours and flexibility. Shame it's only raster based though.
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by kombo(m): 11:35am On Aug 23, 2013
Okija_juju: Advice:: To all designers on Nairaland that may decide to participate in this challenge, I suggest you ask for clarification on the ownership and usage of these designs. Questions you should ask;

1. Does submitting designs mean that Oxygen Broadband Co. becomes the owners of such designs thus meaning that the artist waives all claims to the design when once it is submitted.

2. Would the company pay for the usage of the design that wins the competition or does the prize money cover that.

Basically, whose has the intellectual Property rights to the Logo? The Competition organizers or the artists?!

Its written in the description above na, they stated it there
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by kombo(m): 11:36am On Aug 23, 2013
runzlord: *sharpens pencil*
*installs photoshop cs6 extended*
*plays eva ft saucekid - crazy*
........[size=20pt]Lights on![/size]........

Working on mine! grin

Correct, thats my Guy... me dey play Starboy - Caro ft Wizkid and Lax... Caro dey rub my back as I dey design
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by kombo(m): 11:38am On Aug 23, 2013
turl: Rubbish! Get one person, go through their portfolio and if you're happy, award them the gig.
Crowdsourcing is a slap on the face of the profession.
Your logo has some issues by the way, you probably got that done by a crowdsourced designer.

I don't think you know how a bad design affects brand perception...ok I won't go off on a tangent but this approach to getting things done is the reason the western world will never take us serious. Big IT firm can't get a small design agency to work on a campaign. smh

You never can tell, this might just be a process of recruiting Graphics Artist for their company
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by kombo(m): 11:41am On Aug 23, 2013
But these people talking about getting an Ad Agency, remember some people are just freelancers. smiley .... *Zooms off to fine tune my designs*
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by OKX(m): 12:24pm On Aug 23, 2013
@turl
open a thread on crowd sourcing lets air views there...dont think this is d right place for it.
having said that tho...

turl:

It's all down to balance mate, anything good costs money and that's why I pointed out that it's a big IT firm and companies like these can easily afford a small ad agency so I don't think budget is an issue here.

i should pay 'more' just cos someone out there thinks i can afford to?....dat doesnt make business sense to me.
for some of the artists who will send entries, 50k can come in handy...and to a struggling/ startup artist dats d bottom line.
and lets face it, 50k for a simple design in our society isnt terrible. dont divorce d job from its surroundings...this is 9ja. (not like a million bucks prize wouldnt b better, sha)

turl:

Crowdsourcing fosters the idea that creatives can be easily sourced like jobless people, you grab what you want and chuck the rest away.

an understandable sentiment coming from an artist, but from a biz perspective...thats really d case.
my money buys me a service, and a replaceable one at that.
u choose to look at it from the jobless angle, i look at it from the efficiency angle n we r both entitled to diff opinions, i guess.

online job boards r ok, but dats a more private arrangement. dis affords visibility....n dats d real payoff here.
competitions generate traffic, maybe more than ur personal website can- so ur chances of ur work being seen r increased.
d benefits to d artist r not measured in naira only, which is why i suggested a more public process to the op.

i referred to western companies doing it in response to ur statement dat the western chaps wont take us seriously, my point being dat they originated d concept and still employ it til date.

again from an efficiency viewpoint, why go thru d process of vetting designers one at a time until im satisfied when i can get a bunch to send in stuff in one fell swoop?
and like i said, as an artist, i wouldnt do multiple adjustments on a sample for 50k.... but i could send a sample, but dats just me.

again, if i were a busy executive, its doubtful whether i want to spend time trying to understand how several artists interpret briefs from previous jobs...i just want to get my job done, fast. interpret my brief thru d work u send...lol

this is just a signage, not d Mona Lisa.

true, some people may feel insulted but dats life. no action is universally acceptable.
personally im not insulted, because inspite of preferable alternatives, i have learnt to balance my views between client n artist.

and i still maintain my view on the logo critique, while it may not be to ur taste, referring to it as badly done is absurd. again, no logo has universal approval...no matter the designer or principles employed.
dis is art, not arithmetic.

let the thread b, let people weigh the risks n make unbiased choices.

u point out companies spending fortunes, but dis is not a campaign, this is a specific targeted deliverable....a signage, simple.
for all we know, it may b a single item that they need as part of a larger campaign that they r running.
do i care?...frankly no.
hunger, poverty, young entrepreneurship n d uncertainties of our economy will always promote participation in similar schemes.
so, yes, there may b alternatives, but i think anyone will choose a path they deem most financially beneficial to themselves, and while d artist in me may grumble...the biz man in me applauds...lol

1 Like

Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by turl(m): 2:11pm On Aug 23, 2013
open a thread on crowd sourcing lets air views there...dont think this is d right place for it.
having said that tho...

i should pay 'more' just cos someone out there thinks i can afford to?....dat doesnt make business sense to me.
for some of the artists who will send entries, 50k can come in handy...and to a struggling/ startup artist dats d bottom line.
and lets face it, 50k for a simple design in our society isnt terrible. dont divorce d job from its surroundings...this is 9ja. (not like a million bucks prize wouldnt b better, sha)

an understandable sentiment coming from an artist, but from a biz perspective...thats really d case.
my money buys me a service, and a replaceable one at that.
u choose to look at it from the jobless angle, i look at it from the efficiency angle n we r both entitled to diff opinions, i guess.

online job boards r ok, but dats a more private arrangement. dis affords visibility....n dats d real payoff here.
competitions generate traffic, maybe more than ur personal website can- so ur chances of ur work being seen r increased.
d benefits to d artist r not measured in naira only, which is why i suggested a more public process to the op.

i referred to western companies doing it in response to ur statement dat the western chaps wont take us seriously, my point being dat they originated d concept and still employ it til date.

again from an efficiency viewpoint, why go thru d process of vetting designers one at a time until im satisfied when i can get a bunch to send in stuff in one fell swoop?
and like i said, as an artist, i wouldnt do multiple adjustments on a sample for 50k.... but i could send a sample, but dats just me.

again, if i were a busy executive, its doubtful whether i want to spend time trying to understand how several artists interpret briefs from previous jobs...i just want to get my job done, fast. interpret my brief thru d work u send...lol

this is just a signage, not d Mona Lisa.

true, some people may feel insulted but dats life. no action is universally acceptable.
personally im not insulted, because inspite of preferable alternatives, i have learnt to balance my views between client n artist.

and i still maintain my view on the logo critique, while it may not be to ur taste, referring to it as badly done is absurd. again, no logo has universal approval...no matter the designer or principles employed.
dis is art, not arithmetic.

let the thread b, let people weigh the risks n make unbiased choices.

u point out companies spending fortunes, but dis is not a campaign, this is a specific targeted deliverable....a signage, simple.
for all we know, it may b a single item that they need as part of a larger campaign that they r running.
do i care?...frankly no.
hunger, poverty, young entrepreneurship n d uncertainties of our economy will always promote participation in similar schemes.
so, yes, there may b alternatives, but i think anyone will choose a path they deem most financially beneficial to themselves, and while d artist in me may grumble...the biz man in me applauds...lol

Again, we're all just voicing opinions, you don't have to like mine neither do I yours. Of course as a business, it's cheaper to go this route, but being a creative, I'll always speak for my interests and point out the best solution where possible and discourage what I find unethical. There's nothing biased about speaking for yourself mate.

With regards to the logo, It is just as you said: subjective!
Re: Graphics Design Contest For 50,000 Naira by OKX(m): 2:41pm On Aug 23, 2013
@turl
roger dat, n i do respect ur opinions n indeed share some of them.
was just talking about objectivity cos dis involves two parties.
anyways, nuffsaid.

cheers bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3ds Max Face Rig / Classic Graphics Designs || Flyers, Business Card, Labels, And Lots More / New 4 Bedroom Duplex House Plan ( 3d Model )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.