Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador (10654 Views)

FG Appoints Pwc As Growth And Employment Project Administrator / FG Appoints TY Danjuma To Chair Idps Rehabilitation Initiatives / FG Appoints Ladan, Director Of DPR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 16, 2013
The Federal Government has appointed Jessica Mathews, a U.S.-based Nigerian, who invented energy generating football and skipping rope as an `Entrepreneurship Ambassador’.

The Minister of Trade and Investments, Dr Olusegun Aganga, announced this on Friday after the presentation and demonstration of the invented products to President Goodluck Jonathan at the Presidential Villa.

Aganga said, “Mathews is an inspiration to every Nigerian, especially children, and the product is portrayed as made by a Nigerian for the world.
President Goodluck Jonathan (m) juggling the Suckett Football to electricity (a new invention)

President Goodluck Jonathan (m) juggling the Suckett Football to electricity (a new invention)

“The product is actually versatile, it is not just about the electricity you see, you can use it to charge your mobile phones and fans so there are so many things for which it can be used.

“We are also looking at the possibilities of manufacturing it in Nigeria and see how we can make it cheaper in this country.

“I am glad that Matthew has also agreed to be our ambassador in terms of promoting entrepreneurship in our universities.

“What we want to do is to bring successful entrepreneurs like Matthew to inspire the students and make them more creative so that they can also be employers of labour,’’ the minister said.

Matthew, an Edo-born inventor, who demonstrated the soccer ball, said it could generate three hours of electricity after 30 minutes of play and could store power for 72 hours.

The electricity generated by the ball, according to her, can be used as electricity source to power lighting points and household equipments.

Mathews, 25, and Co-founder of Uncharted play, said the airless football used as electricity power source when not in use, could span for 18-months before replacement.

The inventor, who studied Psychology and Economics in Havard University, U.S., said she taught herself Electrical and Mechanical Engineering because of her interest in the field

She said her motivation to invent the ball and skipping rope came when she attended a wedding in Nigeria and there was a sudden power outage.

“I am a Nigerian and was in Nigeria, it was my Aunt’s wedding and we lost power. How many times, is there anyone who has not been affected?

“For me, I was raised to seek a solution when there is a problem. To be as creative as you can and be opened to different ways so you can address the situation,’’ she said.

Mathews, who spoke on why she chose to use football, explained: “to me, we all know that football is the most popular thing in the world.

“To most people, football form is the most convenient; any man on the street will be attracted to kicking football.

“So, the idea is to put something that people really love and get more out of it.

“These are the things we can use to see if we can amplify existing behaviour to bridge the gap between what is working and what is not working in this country that we love so much.

“We take our passion for sports that is so beautiful and we say okay, let’s give people renewable clean power that they can control.’’

She said the innovation, which had been accepted and already in use in the U.S., would be affordable when mass-produced and introduced into the Nigerian market.

“Right now, if we are going to sell it here in Nigeria, it will be equivalent to what you will pay for a solar inverter.

“Right now, we have not started making them here, we are selling them in New York and in New York, we charge people a lot because it is New York,’’ she said.

Dr Reuben Abati, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, said Jonathan congratulated Mathews on her creativity and innovativeness.

“The president is particularly impressed that Matthew is multi-talented, and that she developed herself in science despite that she is a psychologist and economist.

“It is a proof of the quality of human resource we have in Nigeria and the president is proud of her,’’ Abati said.

Abati said the president assured that the invention would be used as a major tool to mobilise young children and encourage them to think more deeply. (NAN) -

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/fg-appoints-electricity-generating-football-inventor-as-ambassador/#sthash.BScp4ys4.dpuf

1 Like

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 16, 2013
Oya mod carry dis 2 its permanent site

2 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by fr3do(m): 10:25pm On Aug 16, 2013
[vacant]
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by fr3do(m): 10:26pm On Aug 16, 2013
Useless invention
it is as important as the tesla's transformer.
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by ShobayoEmma(m): 10:29pm On Aug 16, 2013
haters will still hate this wellcome development. God bless nigeria state.

1 Like

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by tjfulloption(m): 10:40pm On Aug 16, 2013
e dakun o, se oga jona n gba bollu ni? grin
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by RtFNJ: 10:57pm On Aug 16, 2013
fr3do: Useless invention
Which one u don invent... Tufia kwa.. Enemy of progress

11 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by homesteady(m): 12:25am On Aug 17, 2013
Thank GOD she is neither yoruba or igbo gringrin
She's from my state!! Edo state people are the most intelligent in Nigeria!

7 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 1:53am On Aug 17, 2013
As in like seriously?
“The product is actually
versatile, it is not just about
the electricity you see, you can use it to charge your
mobile phones and fans so
there are so many things for
which it can be used.
you mean it can be used to do all of those? And many other things? To heat water? To press clothes? To watch tv? To lighten the bulb? Hmhmm... Then how much will the ball later cost? I guess they will kill its mass production. Because this will make Nigerians shun PHCN. grin
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 17, 2013
what rubbish skipping rope?? were great young nigerian entrepreneurs are there likes of seun osewa

who is dat refu G?

or maybe someone's puny is probably been compensated
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by BedLam: 10:11am On Aug 17, 2013
One thing is to invent ..another is to make it work .......are we going to play football before we have light? Abi we go pack go stadium go stay?

2 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by pxjosh(m): 10:11am On Aug 17, 2013
Thats wonderful of her. She's followin the trail of my creativity. Kudos
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 17, 2013
Nice. Represent Nigeria's genius Igbo entrepreneurs.
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 17, 2013
Thank God say Patience nuh dey dere before her Beke/grammar go mek the power football release electricity con shock people! :-D

2 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by jmoore(m): 10:14am On Aug 17, 2013
That's good. Nigeria go better

1 Like

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by cKaiser: 10:15am On Aug 17, 2013
Promhize: Nice. Represent Nigeria's genius Igbo entrepreneurs.

Im sure you saw this

Matthew, an Edo-born inventor, who demonstrated the soccer ball, said it could generate three hours of electricity after 30 minutes of play and could store power for 72 hours.

3 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by homesteady(m): 10:15am On Aug 17, 2013
gringrin
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Ayoobscom(m): 10:15am On Aug 17, 2013
Wow! what an invention!
Then I should be presenting mine to GEJ any moment.A leather shoe that cannot just be worn,but can be removed to kill roaming rats and roaches around the room

More so can be cooked into ponmo after 5 years of usage

10 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Brimmie(m): 10:16am On Aug 17, 2013
tjfulloption: e dakun o, se oga jona n gba bollu ni? grin

grin grin I think sey na only me see am!
Oga Keshi go soon invite am!
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 17, 2013
If she was living in Nigeria...she would not have invented this...Period! Has Jonathan and the so called Aganga created opportunities for the young ones to think of problem solving inventions? NO!!! They are more preoccupied with the several problems facing Nigeria - light, roads, insecurity, ASUU strike etc...The FG should be an inspiration to Nigerians and not Jessica...Jessica grew up in the United States, all our youths can't go to the US in order to live out their full potentials...the should have same opportunity in Nigeria too!

31 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by HezronLorraine(m): 10:16am On Aug 17, 2013
Promhize: Nice. Represent Nigeria's genius Igbo entrepreneurs.
must u award every news to one tribe or the other.una sef dey give person headache.

4 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by banky222: 10:16am On Aug 17, 2013
What about those young students who came up with urine powered generator? They also deserve to be ambassadors.

5 Likes

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by cKaiser: 10:17am On Aug 17, 2013
Hope say Jonathan no dey plan Kongo the girl cheesy
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by olas24u(f): 10:20am On Aug 17, 2013
[quote author=Promhize]Nice. Represent Nigeria's genius Igbo entrepreneurs.[/qu

very tribal people,Any intellectual discussion is boxed t tribal issues.You people are just terrible.
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by JustZoe(m): 10:20am On Aug 17, 2013
Pple with their hatred. I guess some pple are just here to criticize. Appreciate her invention or shut the Bleep. Besides, what have u invented? Haters, hell straight
. . .

Jesica, welldone.
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by footballbogger: 10:20am On Aug 17, 2013
fr3do: Useless invention
How have you contributed to the betterment of humanity?
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by kwaraguy(m): 10:21am On Aug 17, 2013
Ok
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by obiscapula(m): 10:21am On Aug 17, 2013
nice legs psychologist!
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Donmichaelz(m): 10:29am On Aug 17, 2013
She is So beautiful.....let me search her name on facebook so I can ask for her BB pin and 2go username...Seun watch over Nairaland am coming

1 Like

Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 17, 2013
Nice one.
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 17, 2013
homesteady: Thank GOD she is neither yoruba or igbo gringrin
She's from my state!! Edo state people are the most intelligent in Nigeria!
gringringringrin
Re: FG Appoints Jessica Matthews As Entrepreneurship Ambassador by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 17, 2013
Nice one GEJ! Nigeria needs more stuff like this. But wait! She's not even Nigeria based

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP To Bar Amaechi, 27 Lawmakers From National Convention / Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? / "Suffocate Their Ambitions;" Sanwo-Olu Asks Lagos Voters To Reject Opposition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.