Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,394 members, 7,812,158 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After (1055 Views)

James Ibori Got Bail....Now Serving 13 Yrs In UK Prison / Mark To Run Again For Senate. / Ex Governor Senator Ahmed Sanni Yerima Arrested Over The 13 Yrs Girl Marrige (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Donchyke39(m): 12:26pm On Aug 17, 2013
After 13 years of dry taps in Onitsha, the town is set to experience free flow of water, courtesy of Governor Peter Obi’s administration which paid N1.8 billion to a South African Water company, PC Africa.

The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed at the Governor’s Lodge, Onitsha, after inspection tour of the major facility of Onitsha Water Scheme at Nkisi.

Gov. Obi said that the choice of a foreign company was for a thorough job, as according to him, the company had done a job of such magnitude in different parts of the world.

Obi, who said he decided to make full payment in order not to entertain excuses for non-performance or delays, however, apologised to the people of the town for the late intervention, saying it was because things did not work out early as planned.

Speaking earlier, the State Commissioner for Water Resources and Public Utilities, Dr. Emeka Nwankwu, lamented that Onitsha, with a population of four million was having potable water problem.

He said that by 2006, when the Federal Government rehabilitated some water schemes in the country, Onitsha did not benefit because the government at that time was fighting the Federal Government. He said that when Obi became governor, he tried and was able to get the Federal Government to include it, but that the company handling it, Funtai, in spite of receiving bridging lone from the state government to the tune of hundreds of millions of naira was not serious or technically deficient.

He recalled all other efforts to resuscitate the scheme through partnership, which failed and that as a last resort, the government decided to do it directly with the full payment of N1.8 billion that would take care of the first phase, involving the restoration of the collapsed facilities. He said that about N10 billion would be required in the long run for expansion of the facilities to serve the entire Onitsha and its environs.

Speaking on behalf of PC Africa, its managing director, Glenn Burton-Durham, said with the payment and cooperation of the people, the company would deliver within time.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/onitshas-dry-taps-set-to-run-again-13-yrs-after/
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Zonacom(m): 1:59pm On Aug 17, 2013
Whats the timeframe for the project? And again why is obi doing all this at the tail-end of his administration?
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Amanwulu1(m): 4:32pm On Aug 17, 2013
Zona.com:
Whats the timeframe for the project? And again why is obi doing all this at the tail-end of his administration?
whether at d begining or end what matters is dat he's achievd smtin if d taps run again even tho' i don't knw wht u want to achieve by ur comment.
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Abagworo(m): 4:42pm On Aug 17, 2013
This means the military left tap running and the civilians have been unable to sustain it for 14years out of which Obi had his share of 7 years. Kudos to Obi if he achieves the task of restorig it before handing over to a new Government. Its a step in the right direction.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:53pm On Aug 17, 2013
I hope they lay all new pipes. To avoid the sewerage.
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:16pm On Aug 17, 2013
Abagworo: This means the military left tap running and the civilians have been unable to sustain it for 14years out of which Obi had his share of 7 years. Kudos to Obi if he achieves the task of restorig it before handing over to a new Government. Its a step in the right direction.

Why don't you just go and hang yourself ? You are ignorant about Anambra water scheme revolution. You are a complete block head!
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 17, 2013
So Obi has never commission one single mini-water work all his tenure?

This is election time and he is now going to town to announce a plan......

This man is dubious....but his look deceives people a lot.
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by chino24: 7:36pm On Aug 17, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Why don't you just go and hang yourself ? You are ignorant about Anambra water scheme revolution. You are a complete block head!

Nwanne..kedu ije?

Leave that guy, his matter is incurable..since I found I stopped being hard on him cheesy
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Abagworo(m): 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

You are a big fool. What did I write that is wrong? Stop this your Anambra non-sense. You and all your monikers are bent on creating unnecessary issues out of nothing. Tufiakwa!
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by ak47mann(m): 9:49pm On Aug 17, 2013
i no nkisi water works very well for so many years it is a big massive water plant.Use that area for short cut to st mary back in the days coolkudos to obi now we can run our taps less dependent on bore holes....
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by pazienza(m): 12:24pm On Aug 18, 2013
ak47mann: i no nkisi water works very well for so many years it is a big massive water plant.Use that area for short cut to st mary back in the days coolkudos to obi now we can run our taps less dependent on bore holes....

The water is not running yet,and you are already praising him, what will you do when it starts running? SMH at my people, oburu ogwu ole!
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by chino24: 3:24pm On Aug 18, 2013
Abagworo:

You are a big fool. What did I write that is wrong? Stop this your Anambra non-sense. You and all your monikers are bent on creating unnecessary issues out of nothing. Tufiakwa!

My friend shut up!

Why not focus more on the clown okorosha who is presently running imo state into the ground with huge loans and nothing on the ground to show for it? Imo state has mountainous problems and lagging behind on most things that needs attentions, but silly people like you will not see it. Ajo nwa si owere ba nne ya afo..!
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by globalaid(m): 3:57pm On Aug 18, 2013
useless news, let the tap run first.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:12pm On Aug 18, 2013
Onitsha Dry tap is an electoral point of achievement.

Ifere me bu kwe unu. Shame on u all.
Re: Onitsha’s Dry Taps Set To Run Again 13 Yrs After by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 18, 2013
gudugba1: So Obi has never commission one single mini-water work all his tenure?

This is election time and he is now going to town to announce a plan......

This man is dubious....but his look deceives people a lot.
GUY INVESTIGATE BEFORE TALKING RUBBISH OBI BUILT MANY PIPE BORNE WATER ONE IN MY VILLAGE AJALLI OUT OF MISMANAGEMENT IT STOPED .OBI IS NOT MY FATHER BUT LETS CRITICIZE SENSIBLY

(1) (Reply)

. / Rivers State Police Commissioner Mbu And The Rivers State Politics / 180 B’haram Insurgents Killed By Camerounian Soldiers – Military

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.