Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,508 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

A Misunderstood Verse - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Misunderstood Verse (434 Views)

Jihad: A Misunderstood Concept From Islam - What Jihad Is, And Is Not / What Is Your Favorite Bible Verse And Why? / Bible Study - Galatians... Has The Modern Church Misunderstood? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Misunderstood Verse by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 18, 2013
The verse is Mark 14:7

"the poor you will always have with you, and you can help them anytime you want. But you will not always have me".

When it comes to picking between giving for church constructions or giving to the poor, the above verse has been used severally out of context to male christians choose giving to the church to the detriment of the poor and even to themselves. These Men pick a part of jesus' sentence which is "the poor you will always have with you" and use it to make people believe that helping the poor is like a waste of time like they'll always multiply. TO BE CONT.
Re: A Misunderstood Verse by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 18, 2013
What did jesus mean?

The world har only seen one jesus and has since not seen anyone like him again. The people in his time followed him almost everywhere cos they knew his worth and so cherished him. The woman with the expensive perfume also had thesame feeling which was why she poured the oil on him, an act many condemned saying it should have been sold and the money given to the poor. What did jesus say? " the poor you will always have...but you will not always have me". If i was around then, i would have given him my all cos there can only be one messiah, and to be close to him PHYSICALLY is worth making me forget every other thing cos that moment matters most. Since jesus christ left, we've had many prophets, apostles, disciples etc and still having, but yet to have another jesus. I think that was one of the reasons jesus stopped them from condemning the woman's act. TO BE CONT.
Re: A Misunderstood Verse by nora544: 12:43pm On Aug 18, 2013
when you read what stand before and what is after this than you will understand it.

that is like this so called man of god teach so when you hear only this it sound that it will bring nothing when you help the poor.

Mark 14

New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Anointed at Bethany

14 Now the Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread were only two days away, and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were scheming to arrest Jesus secretly and kill him. 2 “But not during the festival,” they said, “or the people may riot.”

3 While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.

4 Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, “Why this waste of perfume? 5 It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages[a] and the money given to the poor.” And they rebuked her harshly.

6 “Leave her alone,” said Jesus. “Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 7 The poor you will always have with you,[b] and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. 8 She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. 9 Truly I tell you, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

10 Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Jesus to them. 11 They were delighted to hear this and promised to give him money. So he watched for an opportunity to hand him over.

read your bible than you will understand.
Re: A Misunderstood Verse by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 18, 2013
Taking the verse out of context can mean that jesus didnt care for the poor which is a lie cos if he didnt care, why did he feed the poor? Why did he give the advice below?

"if you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come follow me".

The Redeemed Christian Church of God has embarked on building a larger auditorium with a huge capacity at the redemption camp. I strongly believe it is not necessary cos such money can be used to buy relief materials for Boko Haram victims, feed the poor( which are even many in that church ), pay bills of patients stranded at hospitals, provide for deported destitutes etc.

It is not a good and God-given idea to build and auditorium that God wont live in cos the bible in 1 cor 6:.19 says

"for we are the temple of the living God".

We christians have neglected God's temples in hospitals, under the bridge, the ones starving etc and have embarked on building empires as if such places are jerusalem, mecca, vatican city that we all must visit atleast once a year. If RCCG can, during their camping period, tell all their members to remain in their various towns and cities preaching the gospel, do you know the amount of converts christian will have?

1 Like

Re: A Misunderstood Verse by made2fit(f): 2:13pm On Aug 18, 2013
My bro, its a serious matter. The church has left the vital things to focus on trivalities.
What can I say?:'it is well' sad

(1) (Reply)

Spirituality And Common Sense! / Empowered To Comfort Others / The Raainbow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.