Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? (5473 Views)

Defining The Different Genres Of Music / Lyrics of Nigerian and Foreign Songs Compared / Different genres Of Nigerian Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by LASIEFAIRE(m): 9:35am On Jun 16, 2008
Rap is not a culture, HipHop is.
Do I feel rap is being judge harshly - absolutely not.
Am a big fan of rap.
Talib Kweli, Common, Mos Def, The roots, Dead Prez and other artist who represent the roots, struggle and identity of hip hop get nothing.
Alot of Rappers come out with what they term " REALNESS" but whats does that really mean other than another way to catch fantasazing audiences
Talking about cars and blings, guns and weed, cocaine and LovePeddler - more like glorifying evil. The more you hear the more you are predisposed to doing it.
Many listener are ignorant, they want to live the life of the rappers - you can't get a bling on a mcdonald pay check so they rob or sell drugs. calling females bitches - strange how many black american females are starting to feel like one. Real Hiphop  - Rap - is almost dead - the big corporations are corrupting it and stabbing it in the back.

I love conscious music( rap ) - music that make sense.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by ayowicca(m): 1:28pm On Jun 16, 2008
as a rocker, goth and metal head i don't think or want to believe rap is 'harshly' judged, i for one think the opposite,
rap judges other genres like rock,heavy-metal or goth HARSHLY
most rappers or people that listen to hip hop have this belief that most rockers or people that listen to rock or metal are devil-worshipers,gays,white(sic),or people who hate their roots,
rap / hip hop as we have it now is(are) totally materialistic, possessive, hypocrites(yes, what do you say about a guy that has to go rent models or nice cars to show in his music video,obviously sending a wrong message to his/her young followers that look "i have these nice cars, women worship me(for my money), i even have a gold tooth,i am so original!" - when in reality he has none of that!) and downright abusive(calling each others the n* word and calling women b*****),
yeah, rappers and lovers of hiphop music could argue that rockers,goths,punks,or metalheads usually have occultic themes,rebellious lyrics or even lyrics that could be downright disturbing - this is the 'harsh' judgement most rappers have of rockers,goths,punks or metal heads,but in truth most rock or goth bands always have deep, idealogical and intorspective lyrics in thier songs - which means you have to be educated or free thinking to listen or understand these guys.sadly most rappers and lovers of hiphop are not very free in thinking - another aspect of modern rap,it 's closed in it's thinking,sometimes extremely bigoted in it's thinking AND lyrics to(cite the case of having this belief that rap is black so white(european) or even asian rappers are write-offs or dont belong or the case of a rapper not being ghetto(sic) enough, WTF?)
i rate modern rap with local music like Fuji( makes no sense - just about money and women(either dancing, or dancing, )and r n b( oh so monotonous - "i miss some baby", or "i need some baby", )!

*ps:these are just rants smiley
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by eldee(m): 4:57pm On Jun 16, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

Rap is not a culture, HipHop is.
Do I feel rap is being judge harshly - absolutely not.

Rap is most def part of the hiphop culture
Infact it's the voice of the culture itself. . .
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by redsun(m): 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2008
Rap music is a revolutionary music,it appeals to those that can feel it and only the real can feel it.It is one of the highest selling music in the world right now,of every ten music sold,five or six is hip-hop,it is no longer just black music,but music of the new age,educative,if you are smart enough to get the message.

Of course,money,bitches and violence has always been the theme of the world,so what is diffrent if hip-hop speaks about them.Noel galaher,or what ever his called is crazy,he is a drug freak thug,just like so many other rock and pop stars.

And don't forget music is political and racial too,you got to make your own choice based on what appeals to you,not what they think or say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psBEj6cUXyk
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by bgees(m): 6:18pm On Jun 16, 2008
modern rap deserves to be judged harshly. why ? u might want to ask.

i just thank GOD i was born in the 1980's , so i knew what real rap music was like. then rap music was creative, u could see the talent ,the effort and the quality in a rap song just by listening to it. back then, rappers(gangster rappers included) knew the job, they sang about REAL things. even if they sang about violence, drugs and other vices,they were always real with it.

UNLIKE THESE DAYS, where a rapper's song is only limited to d club and women. i dare to say this, modern rap u listen to this days ( lil'wayne, plies, rick ross, etc) is a total deviation from the true meanings of rap music.

i am happy we have people like lupe fiasco and guys like NaS ,scarface, and kanye still making music.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by naijadiva2(f): 5:52pm On Jun 17, 2008
bgees:

modern rap deserves to be judged harshly. why ? u might want to ask.

i just thank GOD i was born in the 1980's , so i knew what real rap music was like. then rap music was creative, u could see the talent ,the effort and the quality in a rap song just by listening to it. back then, rappers(gangster rappers included) knew the job, they sang about REAL things. even if they sang about violence, drugs and other vices,they were always real with it.

UNLIKE THESE DAYS, where a rapper's song is only limited to d club and women. i dare to say this, modern rap u listen to this days ( little'wayne, plies, rick ross, etc) is a total deviation from the true meanings of rap music.

i am happy we have people like lupe fiasco and guys like NaS ,scarface, and kanye still making music.

exactly my point.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by davidif: 7:33pm On Jun 17, 2008
@eldee
Tell me this, why are rappers always rapping about ho's, bitches, niggas? then this are the same people who cry foul when oyinbo man go call them niggas. Abeg jo, carry go. Truth of the matter is that hip-hop is a very bad influence to young African-American men, in fact, black men in general. Even in naija, people have started calling themselves the N-word or sagging there pants or stealing from there parents (including school fees) or robbing people (including "obtaining" juniors in sec. school) to buy jewelry's, jerseys, rocawear's, sean john's or snickers. In the 90's a lot Naija girls were getting their fashion sense from the rap or R&B videos and dressing like people of ill repute (don't let me say what was on my mind  grin). The most annoying part of it is when my siblings or my  friends back home tell me to buy them baggy jeans or jordan snickers which usually cost over $200!!!!! (snickers ko, sandals ni). In urban america, its worse because a lot of families there are in shambles (75% of African-Americans are born out of wedlock), the kids learn a lot of corrupting influences from rap music, they don't want to go to school any longer because when they watch Fiddy, Ludacris or Weezy in the videos glorifying the gangsta lifestyle rapping about ho's and pimps (the worst creatures on earth), they too want to be like that because there is no glory in staying up all night typing a project.

TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS RAP IS HORRIBLE BECAUSE IT DEGRADES WOMEN AND ITS A BAD INFLUENCE AMONGST OUR KIDS. End of discussion.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by bgees(m): 11:15pm On Jun 17, 2008
@davidf,
the people who try to link violence and other vices solely to rap music should 'nt be ignorant.
And are OUR WHITE CELEBRITIES living by example ?

britney is already mad,she is probably high on something.
Amy winehouse despite a celebrity status looks like a lagos lunatic.
There are many more examples.and truth is white celebrites live more like perverts.

And who do u think is responsible for d real violence.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by adconline(m): 6:42am On Jun 18, 2008
Jayz says "Scar Face Movies did more harm to him than Scar Face music" Its mainstream media. The media would pay hundreds of hours on Anna Nicole Smith, a stripper who became famous for flaunting her sexuality. If Mr and Mrs Smith (Brad Pritt and Angelina Jolie) could brandish guns on bill boards what difference does it make if Jayz talks about guns? Right wingers will attack hip hop and embrace gun makers.

I was surprised to see the CEO of Play Boy Inc talking about big ideas on MSNBC while Hip Hop is always trashed by mainstream media. If we knew where these guys are coming to make it in life, we might have a different approach. I used to hate on Jayz or 5o cent whenever they talk about money, but on a closer look, i found out that making 1000 dollars is very difficult let alone millions, so they are doing something unique not so many people could do with their 9th grade education. The system is structured in a way to keep them from where they were born, but they broke the circle. I would also take Jayz over Hugh Hefner of PlayBoy Inc or the guy of Girls Gone Wild.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by chiogo(f): 7:51pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ adconline, Jay-z stopped at 9th grade? Where did u get that from?

@topic, am back. Well, I don't think modern rap is being judged harshly or whatnot. There are so many fans of Soulja boy and Lil' Wayne. Aren't they modern rappers?

@Eldee, you made some comment about rappers talking about where they're from in their songs. Sorry, but that's not really true. Half of these rappers didn't experience the shit they rap about. And am talking about modern rappers, we ain't talkin 2pac or biggie here. Am talkin Dj khaled and his whole crew which he always uses in his videos. He keeps yellin 'am so hood' but truth is most of these people don't even live in the hood. They go bout buyin houses in malibu, etc and they come on tv tellin folks they're hood. Now, how are they hood? Even 50, who many people would say is hood doesn't even live in the hood!! Daag!!everyone knows that rappers tend to over-do stuff.(Ice cube even said so in a movie, I forgot d name). Most of these violence stuff u see on tv ain't even real. Yes, some of em carry guns 4 protection(T.I's case shows this), so does high school kids but they don't really go about killing people like they show on tv. Most of d time, they don't rap about their lives, it's just entertainment.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by adconline(m): 8:06am On Jun 19, 2008
chiogo
so they are doing something unique not so many people could do with their 9th grade education.

you need to re-read my post. I was talking about not being able to have a good educational background, yet they have "out-smarted" folks with better education.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by HolyMic(m): 8:43pm On Jun 19, 2008
Jesus, this is a nice spot but it seems as crazy as hip hop itself!!!
LOL!!!
See how the thread started in a peaceful manner but degenerated into a fracas!
Some good point, some angry points, some misinformed points and points of intelligent opinions.
Rap imitates life like any other art form, my brothers and sistas!
There are also different types of rap, I will use a descipt i will jack from wikipedia to name a few:
* Abstract hip hop
* Alternative hip hop
* Australian hip hop
* Bass music
* Beatboxing
* Christian hip hop
* Conscious hip hop
* Country rap
* Crunk
* Dirty rap
* Dirty South
* East Coast hip hop
* Emo rap
* gangsta rap
* Ghetto house
* Hardcore hip hop
* Hip pop
* Indie hip hop
* Jazz rap
* Nerdcore hiphop
* Old school hip hop
* Rap
* Rap rock
* Reggaeton
* Southern hip hop
* West Coast hip hop
There ya go, nice n easy,

So who do the haters hate here?
Who do the reppers/rap lovers throw bows to and give a dope head nod to in this piece?

Not one of these will ever accurately describe hip hop, not one of these should be blamed for any ones beef wit hip hop.
Just becos I dont like Down-South or West coast rap doensnt mean i dont like any rap.
Just cos i pay no attention to christian or gospel rap doesnt mean all rapper rap about God, Jesus and wutnot.
I can go on and on, a black man that hates Hip Hop/all rap becos of gangsta rap is a black man lost, of little musical taste if any and one obviously believing the white media hype that it is the music of the devil.
How comes you got Gospel rap then?
Doh!
Me, like many of you have already said, used to like the G-ed up shit till it became played and rapped by anyone and their grand ma (or Eminems mum when she dissed him for dissing her!)
When i got tired of listening to 50 Cent, Camron, Wu Tang and affiliates and Mobb Deep, etc I searched for other rappers to soothe my ear and love for poetry over phat beats.
So now its MF Doom, C Rayz Walz and a few lyrically talented ones for me. I tire only of hearing gunshots and murders on every track.
We all started listening to non-violent rap b4 NWA stepped on the scene, Cool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, EPMD, Ed O G and the Bulldogs were big to us back in the day but how the masses lusted after the violent rappers imitates the movies released and being used as portraits for violent life 'in the American hood' in the time after these guys came out.
Stallone/Rambos films became more violent, Swartzy/Governor of California's movies started to have higher body counts on each release.
Black youths also got more violent maybe watching these dummies movies. in an already shameful setting of being poor and neglected and as violent as the Bronx in real life and all american states these are the guys who stories the time of the era wanted to listen to.
Yeah we can blame the fake gods people, the jews, and other white men for financing the downfall/played outness of gangsta rap but who has been buying it?
We, the masses! as someone rightly pointed out before my long,huffy,protect the neck of hip hop stance was assumed
Hip Hop aint dead, Nas didnt kill shit.
Its all entertainment any way, people are still entertained by rap beefs even though some of us have grown up beyond that.
Remember, you have a little brother, sister, cousin or friend who is now a teen that listened to some of the things you played in your youths.
They are too you to have OUR outlook on rap/hip hop and werent even born when it started and flourished into mainstream media.
Remember the time when they said it would last?
Remember when Rockers where happy to associate themselves with being the baddest music genre before rap pistol whipped it into submission in the charts and movie cameos?
You got more rappers acting now than rockers but rock had its time in the 50's-70's.
Rap/Hip Hop's influence in the media and our lives (drive bys, lil fucking dick head kids thinking listening to rap makes them harder than a grown man that can snap their necks from real life stress with one finger and no gun) is a product of many years of grafting into our very own souls and music/crossover potential of anything rap related into either food (50 water-Saint Ides Malt Liquor by Wu Tang back day), fashion (FUBU, Phat Farm and Sean Jean which alot of you wear or have once worn, heheh)
I know i speak shit long time but i'm sure you must get my drift by now, whatever rap you listen to if any shows what you love/like in life, its just a simple reflection of the shit we get involved in or want to hear/listen to.
Political rap, mindless gun rap, bling bling rap, they are all rap but just different kinds of it.
Dont shit on hip hop cos of one spoiled egg, u aint doing a sensible argument to persecute it any justice with such lame arguments.
You'll sound dumb, slow, misinformed, ranting bout Politics in a music forum is stupid too. Who's that dude ranting bout everybody/swindlers of nations going to hell or whatever Hip hop and rap being evil or some other shit? you been smoking? Come back when sober shocked
Rappers and rap can be dumb but it depends on who you are listening to and what GENRE of rapping he is reppin'.
Not all female rappers drop their draws and talk bout pussy and dick, not every rapper in the hood or from it talks of every picking up a gun to sort his bad hand in life out.

But then again, if Jesus people kill does that mean christianity is bad?
If Mohammed's people kill does that mean all of islam is bad.
Because fake white jews pretend to be Hebrew and kill Palestinians for the past 60 years does that mean Judaism is bad?
Is all religion bad?
Nope but I wonder what God has to say about rap if even his religons aint even doing a PERFECT job in the eyes of misinformed masses.
God? hold, up baby, let me crunk up my Fish Scale track 9 joint up from Ghost Face Killah while every body looking for a reason to kill Hip Hop, see you brothers and sistas later, The Grimey Holy One has spoken grin
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by bgees(m): 11:07pm On Jun 19, 2008
Not trying to change d point i made earlier.

But 'good'rappers happen to be very intelligent than other practioners of music.
Rap songs are more poetic,entertaining,informative,enlightening and educative when compared to other genres. And it is funny when u keep in mind that most rappers had little or no formal education.

@chiogo,
it is'nt reasonable for 50 cent and others to remain in d 'hood' after making so much 'legal' money. You have to spend ur wealth and live among d high class.and i believe they do this to spite the elitist population.
Even when biggie said,'call my crib,same numba,same hood,its all good',he was'nt living in bedstuy.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by Bamsyle(m): 4:36pm On Jun 20, 2008
Rap indeed is GREAT. If the critics could just pay more attention to the lyrics of rappers who come under the "Poetic Group of Rappers" (talk of Tupac, Nas, Common, Mos' Def, etc.), you would know what I mean. Believe me Naija diva, I used to be like you until I listened to GREAT RAP SONGS from GREAT MINDS like Brenda's Got a Baby, Dear Mama (Tupac - too many to list), No Idea Is Original, One Mic, (and a whole lotta Nas classics), etc. (Aside that, I also love Biggie for his flows but that's for another thread). Some modern-day rappers have spoilt the game, yes but that doesn't make rap a bad style of music at all. It's the DEEPEST form of musical expression - a good rap song goes straight from the rapper's heart to the listener's soul. It touches hearts and makes you reflect about life.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by Bamsyle(m): 4:44pm On Jun 20, 2008
@poster

Rap being harshly criticized compared to other music genres? Capital YES - I believe so.

Apart from those who claim rap has bad influence, I think the average critic also believes rap is not music. He/she believes music is singing accompanied by musical instruments, solfa notes, using music sheets, etc. I differ. If, as Chambers Dictionary puts it, music is "the art of expression in sound, rhythm and melody", rap qualifies as music. Infact, in my ears, it's very good music. It has sound, rhythm and melody.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by Horus(m): 3:29am On Jun 21, 2009
The mainland African must seriously understand this; You will not see conscious rap music from the west on African TV screens. We question the mentality of the African media machine to allow these videos on to our screens. Do they actually believe that sex / gangster rap videos from the US are going to stimulate positive change in urban Africa? You see, if western reasoning is regarded as GOOD by default then the African mind can be guided in any direction by those who authorise western ethics. Urban Africa should know that there are millions of conscious Africans in the US and Europe who oppose the current form of Rap and R&B music given to the world as NORMAL by the MTV / BET / pay per view machine. We are very keen to have people from the continent of Africa be introduced to this information.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by Genuflect(m): 7:39pm On Jun 21, 2009
Lol @ all these Hip-Hop haters. Don't judge something when you only see it from afar. That's all I'm gonna say.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by chic2pimp(m): 2:35pm On Sep 26, 2009
NubianQ:

As a lover of rock music and alternative music, i think rap promotes violence and show cases alot of immorality. Some rap music makes women look cheap and also makes young people day dream about what they are not.

davidif:

@eldee
Tell me this, why are rappers always rapping about ho's, bitches, niggas? then this are the same people who cry foul when oyinbo man go call them niggas. Abeg jo, carry go. Truth of the matter is that hip-hop is a very bad influence to young African-American men, in fact, black men in general.

TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS RAP IS HORRIBLE BECAUSE IT DEGRADES WOMEN AND ITS A BAD INFLUENCE AMONGST OUR KIDS. End of discussion.

I'm sorry to say but this is exactly what non rap fans think about rap music.

Most people think rap music is to be blamed for the Ills of the black community.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by alisigwe(m): 8:03pm On Apr 05, 2011
Whatever happened to threads lik dis?
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by tpia5: 5:57am On Dec 09, 2011
cnn article on modern R&B music

Any wannabe singer with a mediocre voice can now sit home in his or her underwear and eat Doritos while cutting a song on a computer and post it on the Internet the next day.

"You don't need a band to make music anymore," says Hines of SoulBounce, which compiled a list of the top 100 classic R&B love songs.

What happens when millions of young listeners -- regardless of color -- learn about intimacy from songs that reduce love to reaching "up in that dresser where them condoms is"?

The researchers at the University at Albany in New York found that R&B contained the most references to sex per song (an average of 16 sex-related phrases per song). The top three intimate themes in R&B songs were the singer's sex appeal, the singer's wealth as it relates to finding a partner, and descriptions of sex acts. A total of 19 song themes were examined.

The least-popular theme in R&B music was "courtship," while country music offered more songs about courtship than any other genre, the study said.
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by tpia5: 5:58am On Dec 09, 2011
Consider a recent Valentine's Day song called "No Bull S**t," in which he sings about inviting a woman over to his place at 3 in the morning because "you know I'm Hot."

Then he sings to her to take off her clothes because "you already know what time it is" and orders her to "reach up in that dresser where them condoms is."

Compare the lyrics to Pendergrass' "Come Go With Me," where he spends the song telling a woman, "You look so sweet , You look like you oughta be with me ,

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/02/showbiz/music/love-songs/index.html?iref=obinsite
Re: Modern Rap Is Judged Harshly Compared To Other Genres? by tpia5: 6:01am On Dec 09, 2011
Black people gave the world Motown, Barry White and "Let's Get It On." But we don't make love songs anymore.

Why?

I asked some of the stars who created the popular R&B classics of the late 1960s, '70s and early '80s. Their answer: The music changed because blacks lost something essential -- something that all Americans, regardless of race, should regret.

"We had so much harmony"

Some of what we lost, they say, was an appreciation of love itself.

Earth Wind & Fire keyboardist and founding member Larry Dunn says a new generation of black R&B artists is more cynical because more come from broken homes and broken communities.

Soul singer Al Green flourished in an era of classic R&B love songs, but love songs are fading from black radio."How are you going to write about love when you don't know what it is?"

The study found that while 70.3% of all black adults were married in 1970, that rate dropped to 39.6% by 2008. The study also showed that while 37.6% of black births were to unmarried parents in 1970, that figure soared to 71.6% by 2008.

Our music became as grim as those statistics. Singing about love now seems outdated.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Nigerian Rap Songs Of All Time / Please I Need A Link 2 Download Beautiful Nubia Songs / Download:music: MI - King James (official version)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.