Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,642 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad (4707 Views)

Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! / The Untold Story Of The Baby Found In OAU Toilet / Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by zboyd: 9:23pm On Aug 18, 2013
By Ebenezer Akin
Published 07/30/2013/Life Abroad
Source: Nigerians In America.com

The rate of divorce among African immigrants, of which Nigerians are a sizable portion, is climbing to astronomical proportions. According to statistics, women are more prone to seeking divorce from their husband. In a recent survey by Fairfax, more and more women are getting divorced from their spouses because of infidelity and financial problems. However, statistics from the Fertility and Family Health branch of the Census Bureau reveals that about 60% of marriages that eventually end up in divorce do so within the first 10 years of the marriage. While this statistics bear little or no relevance to the high rate of divorce or separation among Nigerian immigrants to the United States. It can be deduced that immigrants who find themselves in a different society like the United States begins their test of the first 10 years over again as they face the challenges of starting a new life in a new country with a different value system.

Dr. Laura Aborishade ascribes the development to problem with cultural re-adaptation. According to her, the system creates a situation where each member of the family begins to question their cultural upbringing in relation with their new environment. The result of the new assimilation, which might be more profound in one of the spouses, creates tension between the old and the new culture. Thus, the drastic aftermaths that might occur.

Until a few years ago most Nigerians in the United States were living in relative peace and calm. The notoriety that heralded the presence of Nigerians today was absent, as there were fewer Nigerians around; most of who make legitimate income. Now comes the era of internet and financial crimes. More and more Nigerians are getting involved in this get-rich–quick scam and using their ill-gotten wealth to entice Nigerian women who feels getting stuck with a man who struggles to pay his bills might not be their portion after all. There were reported cases of women who left their husbands for the neighbor next door. A recent case involved a lady named Aina (real name withheld), who was brought into the country by his fiancé with the sole purpose of marriage and a future together in America. Barely two months after living in their Kenmore Street, Chicago apartment had trouble struck. Chris, a native of the eastern part of Nigerian, and a prominent figure in the Chicago taxi industry, suddenly came home unannounced. He discovered to his chagrin that his neighbor was having sex with his bride-to-be right in the comfort of his apartment. He had a cardiac arrest and was immediately rushed to the hospital.

He was lucky to survive!

Soon after his return, he discovered his fiance had moved next door, with his neighbor. “I went crazy, and for the first time in my life, I felt justified to commit murder in the first degree,” Chris said, shaking his head, trying hard to fight back the tears that loom large in his eyes. “It really hurts to have someone take your wife away, it really hurts,” Chris muttered. Apparently, Chris, like most Nigerian Chicago Taxi drivers, had been working so hard to keep up with the bills and even sending money home to both of their parents.

As pathetic as this may be, the wife-defection cum wife-snatching trend has been a regular feature in the Nigerian community in northern CHICAGO. Elders within the community are fond of warning potential husbands to steer clear of notorious Chicago north side neighborhood the moment they get married or bring their fiancés from Nigeria.

Your thoughts?
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Kanwulia: 9:30pm On Aug 18, 2013
Amen!
We don't need to put up with ANY FORM OF MATRIMONIAL SERVITUDE outside AFRICA!!!!

We only have to do asssssshawo to 'help the needy-hoe-dudes'! cool

We even fly from state to state and from CONTINENT TO CONTINENT to PHOCK 'em CHEAP, boy-toys and TOTOCHOPPERS with our own MONEY from BETA sugar-daddies!

IN MY DARLING DIASPORA, IT IS A WOMAN'S WORLD ALWAYS!!!!! kiss

Women are BREAD and BUTTER plus JAM winnerzzzzz!!! cool

Please, SPREAD the GOSPEL!!! kiss
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Kanwulia: 9:51pm On Aug 18, 2013
Still on CHICAGO-GHETTO CABBY-KINGS! cheesy
Karma is a sweeeeeet BINTCH!

AFTER SPENDING 40 YEARS LIKE ELIJAH IN THE WILDERNESS OF ILLITERACY AND SOCIO-ECONOMIC DRAUGHT. . . . EATING SHEEQUERIA PLUS LUWWWWANNA POOOHSIES TO DODGE CHILD-SUPPORT PAYMENTS, all you can afford to import is A DREG OF SOCIETY LIKE YOURSELF!!! kiss

All these yeye men that run home, AFTER AKATA DOM SUCK ALL THE BETA AKAMU FINISH LEAVE ONLY 'PUSS' FOR DEM BLOKOS . . . . to get FRESSSSSSH HARLOTS to do MOO-MOO, BORN-AGAIN LOVE . . . . . . . . after toying with the NAIJA sistahs aka ABANDONED PROP-TYS in this USA nko?

You leave the reeeeaaal SOKOTO for H-America to go buy sokoto for h-inside ABA? Haaaaah!!!!!

You reap what you SOW!
Make una dey QUENCH with stroke one by one!!!!! AMIIIIIIN OOOOOOOH!!!!! kiss
NO PITY!!!kiss

1 Like

Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 19, 2013
Kanwulia: Still on CHICAGO-GHETTO CABBY-KINGS! cheesy

AFTER SPENDING 40 YEARS LIKE ELIJAH IN THE WILDERNESS OF ILLITERACY AND SOCIO-ECONOMIC DRAUGHT. . . . EATING SHEEQUERIA PLUS LUWWWWANNA POOOHSIES TO DODGE CHILD-SUPPORT PAYMENTS, all you can afford to import is A DREG OF SOCIETY LIKE YOURSELF!!! kiss

All these yeye men that run home, AFTER AKATA DOM SUCK ALL THE BETA AKAMU FINISH LEAVE ONLY 'PUSS' FOR DEM BLOKOS . . . . to get FRESSSSSSH HARLOTS to do MOO-MOO, BORN-AGAIN LOVE . . . . . . . . after toying with the NAIJA sistahs aka ABANDONED PROP-TYS in this USA nko?

You leave the reeeeaaal SOKOTO for H-America to go buy sokoto for h-inside ABA? Haaaaah!!!!!

You reap what you SOW!
Make una dey QUENCH with stroke one by one!!!!! AMIIIIIIN OOOOOOOH!!!!! :-+
NO PITY!!!kiss
funny but true grin
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 19, 2013

You reap what you SOW!
Make una dey QUENCH with stroke one by one!!!!! AMIIIIIIN OOOOOOOH!!!!! :-+
NO PITY!!!kiss
i'm always loving your post.you are one of the exceptionally few married women ive come across who will say iy as it really is.many married women are usually tied down by societal inhibitions.even on a faceless forum the fear of society will never allow them to be real.abeg keep it up jare,i am so loving you cheesy
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by dayokanu(m): 9:08pm On Aug 19, 2013
Kanwulia,

How far na
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Kanwulia: 10:39pm On Aug 19, 2013
dayokanu: Kanwulia,

How far na

I love it when NL SMALL-SMALL boys likey ya address moi with the utmost respect! kiss
Keep trying hon',
You are not quite there YET! kiss
Do 'ave a wonderful evening dear. kiss
*still on IGNORE list* cool

Off to work! GBA!!! (GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!)

Nko si le le li AMERICA!!!! cool
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by dayokanu(m): 10:56pm On Aug 19, 2013
Kanwulia:

I love it when NL SMALL-SMALL boys likey ya address moi with the utmost respect! kiss
Keep trying hon',
You are not quite there YET! kiss
Do 'ave a wonderful evening dear. kiss
*still on IGNORE list* cool

Off to work! GBA!!! (GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!)

Nko si le le li AMERICA!!!! cool

I wanno attend that your parry we talked about ni.
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Kanwulia: 11:04pm On Aug 19, 2013
dayokanu:

I wanno attend that your parry we talked about ni.

HELLO!!!!

So if I get party for true I go invite A NIGERIA NIGGER FROM ANY SATAN-FORSAKEN, NAIJA WEBSITE OR MESSAGE/GOSSIP BLOG/BOARD LIKEY FROM NL KWA NU? undecided

Sorry, I can NEVER STOOP THAT LOW! grin

Not that desperate for MODERATOR/SUPA ASSSHAWO MODERATORSHIP!

Now, lets read your contribution to THIS topic! My ONLY business YOU! kiss

FYI, I PROUDLY have 3 marriages UNDER MY POOHSIE! On my way to the 4th! coolI know where to get HUSBANDS if I am really looking! kiss

NOT FROM YORUBALAND!!!! Tufiaaaaaaaakwa!!!! cry

PHOCKING AND DUMPING MEN IS ONE OF MY MANY HOBBIES.

What ANY MAN CAN DO, TITILOLLA CAN DO BEST! kiss

Sooooooo, dreeeeeeeesss go ya corner. Me and YOU nor get business ON OR OFF NL!!!!

LAST WARNING!!!! STOP ADDRESSING MOI!!! kiss

Thanks! kiss
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by dayokanu(m): 11:22pm On Aug 19, 2013
Those your attack on your profile dey gimme sleepless nights ni
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 20, 2013
Kanwulia:

HELLO!!!!

So if I get party for true I go invite A NIGERIA NIGGER FROM ANY SATAN-FORSAKEN, NAIJA WEBSITE OR MESSAGE/GOSSIP BLOG/BOARD LIKEY FROM NL KWA NU? undecided

Sorry, I can NEVER STOOP THAT LOW! grin

Not that desperate for MODERATOR/SUPA ASSSHAWO MODERATORSHIP!

Now, lets read your contribution to THIS topic! My ONLY business YOU! kiss

FYI, I PROUDLY have 3 marriages UNDER MY POOHSIE! On my way to the 4th! coolI know where to get HUSBANDS if I am really looking! kiss

NOT FROM YORUBALAND!!!! Tufiaaaaaaaakwa!!!! cry

PHOCKING AND DUMPING MEN IS ONE OF MY MANY HOBBIES.

What ANY MAN CAN DO, TITILOLLA CAN DO BEST! kiss

Sooooooo, dreeeeeeeesss go ya corner. Me and YOU nor get business ON OR OFF NL!!!!

LAST WARNING!!!! STOP ADDRESSING MOI!!! kiss

Thanks! kiss
mgbeketoto o gringringrin cheiiiii grin my role model on nl ooooo gringrin funny geh grin
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 20, 2013
Importer and exporter, make una dey import o!

If you like don't get married because you have found the one, getting married because you need a slave for housework and childbirth will solve the problem.
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Ochiban: 4:46pm On Aug 20, 2013
Divorce is getting higher not just with Nigerians abroad, its also nigerians at home as well. I think the reason is quite simple. Women now have options. Quite simple really.

50 years ago, when a man married a woman, whether abroad or in nigeria, if she left him for any reason, she was at risk because she had little to no form of supporting herself. if she had kids, she was royally screwed because there would be no support for them either.

50 years ago, if a man chose to leave his wife...well... other than his family disappointed in him and maybe alienating him for breaking his home, he has few consequences.

fastforward to now. women work, women are a bit more independent. so if she leaves her husband because she a ho, or because he's an asshole or just because they both quarreled and cant settle... she is okay. she can fend for her kids somewhat and now..courts are even more likely to give her custody of her kids than her husband

so now, women who stay married actually WANT to stay with the man rather than before where they had to grit their teeth and bear it because they have no alternative.

2 Likes

Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by bisfun(f): 5:26am On Jan 07, 2014
;Dhonestly speaking marriage is falling out of God original design,
even when the man get married for genue purpose the wife might be for her selfish reason and vis visa,
if one must marry in nigeria or anywhere in the world now,u must do ur home work well o
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by ikamefa(f): 2:58am On Jan 08, 2014
hahahahaahaha " grin"

militia aka Lansinoh is now kanwulia?

i wonder what she has metamorphosed into these days " grin "

awon ashewo Lancaster to Edinburgh to Manchester to Texas to Atlanta to Salone .

Phocking from Dubai to rondon to Brookyn. Teeeee heeeeee! " grin "
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by mgbeketoto: 10:08am On Jan 08, 2014
ikamefa: hahahahaahaha " grin"
militia aka Lansinoh is now kanwulia?
i wonder what she has metamorphosed into these days " , cheesy

awon ashewo Lancaster to Edinburgh to Manchester to Texas to Atlanta to Salone .
Phocking from Dubai to rondon to Brookyn. Teeeee heeeeee! " grin "

Are you mad? undecided
If you don't have anything to write about the topic. . .
You need to keep your nasty fingers in your azzze.
Abi you don taya to use ya own TOTO phock all over NL with different ID's?
Rabid E-COWARD aka "ske leeeeeEWUUUUU di ka gi! kiss

What is my businese with this ijjjiot? undecided
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by olas24u(f): 4:55pm On Jan 08, 2014
The snatchers are fellow Nigerians?
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by EziAsh: 10:12pm On Jan 08, 2014
Being married is not easy.Anyway who said marriage was easy.When growing up i notice something with most, if not almost every women in my immediate surrounding they gave up everything and accepted any shit that people (meaning husband and inlaws) gave them .They did this without expecting any thank you.I used to wonder if these women were truly happy or they were just existing.Fathers will just do anything have other women by the side,even have kids without anybody holding them accountable for their actions.Can you imagine how it feels knowing that your husband is sleeping with other women and sometimes he will not even provide for his family.So women stayed because if they left people will talk ,her children will suffer ,so they stayed took the shit and sometimes even beating.Then came the 21 century and you tell women to continue leaving in that bubble.like it or not ,call it what ever women don't want to continue in that mess.Do you know how difficult it is to try being a modern woman.Men expect that you work bring in money,take care of children,be the cleaner ,the teacher and then the wife (wow) while the man role has not change,he goes to work and comes back and rest.So the woman will nag who will not and the husband will wonder what a bad woman.So divorce is inevitable .Because you suddenly realize that you don't have any obligation to stay in any marriage that is making you sick (anywhere most marriages will make you sick at one point or the other it all depends on the decision you make).After all you can take care of yourself and the kids even if you are in Nigeria or in any other African county where women are not that protected better if you are in a developed country where the men will be force to contribute financially to his children up bringing.
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by mgbeketoto: 10:13pm On Jan 08, 2014
Hmmmmmmm! cheesy
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:53am On Jan 09, 2014
This Kanwulia hate Naija nniggas...lol. May God forgive any man who did this to you.
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:05am On Jan 09, 2014

You reap what you SOW!
Make una dey QUENCH with stroke one by one!!!!! AMIIIIIIN OOOOOOOH!!!!! kiss
NO PITY!!!kiss

But madam did anybody force them into relashionship ? Why are you so negative and vengeful to Naija guys. Do you think its all Naija guys that date Nigerian women ? Where is this flaming anger coming from ?
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Ballotti: 7:30am On Jan 09, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli:

But madam did anybody force them into relashionship ? Why are you so negative and vengeful to Naija guys. Do you think its all Naija guys that date Nigerian women ? Where is this flaming anger coming from ?

Please, mind your phocking business. . . . !
Abi you dey forbid ni?

POLYMONIKERING NL WHHHORRRE ALERT! angry

Odenigbo Aroli: This Kanwulia hate Naija nniggas...lol. May God forgive any man who did this to you.

Man Indeed! I resemble OTU NNEGI? undecided
You must think you are special?
You are 'special' indeed. . . more like REEEEEEEEEETARDED! kiss
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:57am On Jan 09, 2014
Ratchet arzzz hag......lunatic on the loose......Ignore alert!
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Ballotti: 8:59am On Jan 09, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli: Ratchet arzzz hag......lunatic on the loose......Ignore alert!

I shi ba kpa nkpu? cheesy
Ngwa nu!

O LU GA ZU! kiss

"ODE" N'IGBO!!!!

ANU MO'FIA!!!

MU HE HE HE HE HE HE
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by ikamefa(f): 12:16am On Jan 10, 2014
mgbeketoto:
Are you mad? undecided
If you don't have anything to write about the topic. . .
You need to keep your nasty fingers in your azzze.
Abi you don taya to use ya own TOTO phock all over NL with different ID's?
Rabid E-COWARD aka "ske leeeeeEWUUUUU di ka gi! kiss
What is my businese with this ijjjiot? undecided

ahhhhhhhaaaaa! so its ballotti and mgbehetoto these days? i wonder what it will be in 2 days " grin"

nope my eleven fingers still dey inside my arse oh.

E coward my big booty, i go siddon on top lappy dey spew trash like you? nahhhhhhh.

taya to phock toto over NL? nope!!!!!!! , in fact i dey on top di^*k as i dey yarn so wink wink wink

you are the ijjiot and a rabid mongrel roaming all over the net foaming at the mouth over nuttin wink

me i just like to watch .
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Ballotti: 1:53am On Jan 10, 2014
ikamefa:

ahhhhhhhaaaaa! so its ballotti and mgbehetoto these days? i wonder what it will be in 2 days " grin"

nope my eleven fingers still dey inside my arse oh.

E coward my big booty, i go siddon on top lappy dey spew trash like you? nahhhhhhh.

taya to phock toto over NL? nope!!!!!!! , in fact i dey on top di^*k as i dey yarn so wink wink wink

you are the ijjiot and a rabid mongrel roaming all over the net foaming at the mouth over nuttin wink

me i just like to watch .

Thank you for finally revealing yourself. You will reap what you keep sowing. One by one, YOU ALL WILL REAP WHAT YOU KEEP SOWING, IN LIFE OR IN DEATH! kiss

My last words to an IJJJJJJIOT likey ya!

Take Kia! kiss
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by ikamefa(f): 3:05am On Jan 10, 2014
Ballotti: .
Thank you for finally revealing yourself. You will reap what you keep sowing. One by one, YOU ALL WILL REAP WHAT YOU KEEP SOWING, IN LIFE OR IN DEATH! kiss
My last words to an IJJJJJJIOT likey ya!
Take Kia! kiss

* Boomerang* right back at cha! kiss

Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by tellwisdom: 3:31am On Jan 10, 2014
See'em...our gurls haf come oo. Cussing is their hobby undecided. I gif up angry
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by mgbeketoto: 3:41am On Jan 10, 2014
IICE CAN I PHOCK YOU? tongue
I wonder what skanky-azzzzzed ID the "TWIT" uses these days!
We dey mizzzzz you o!
Darling 'TRINNY'!

MUCHECHECHECHE

LIVE FROM THE ATL!!!
In the arms of my loving husband!!!
E BADU BELLE AND E JOLOSI DIE-VORCEEE WIDOWS GO AND DIE!!!! cool

Still on MARITAL infidelity abroad? wink

From LAGOS TO LONDON. . . . I AM SHAKING MY BUM-BUM!!!!

E BADU BELLE AND E JOLOSI DEBOSKY NL WHOOOOOORRRRES, NO QUENCH O!

I nor send! cool
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by Temismith(f): 5:22pm On Jan 10, 2014
Re: Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad by mgbeketoto: 5:34pm On Jan 10, 2014
HA!
Wonders!
I tink say na only me dey change ID o! wink

ABRRRRACADABRRRRRRA!!!! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

My Cousin In Nigeria Has Turned To Ashawo! / Dear In-laws, Where's My WIFE? / What Is The World Turning Into? Are Women Beating Men At The Game?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.