Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,222 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! (33955 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Dearest Nigerians, People Are Suffering.. Read This! / Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 9:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
As in the norms in Nigeria, women who get divorced or are been thrown out of their matrimonial homes by their husbands tend to lose out alot.

Even in domestic violence cases, women who couldnt take the violence any longer divorce the husband without sharing in the property.

Though Nigeria is not UK, US or other western countries where women share in the estate or property of the husband after divorce, Nigerian men should atleast take responsibility in making sure the woman they divorce would be well-off after letting her go.

Laws should also be put in place to reward any woman whose husband left her for someone else. Even in cases where the woman is found to be promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate measure should be put in place to make sure she share from the spoils.

Married women deserve better and should be treated better.

11 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by bebe2(f): 10:00pm On Jan 03, 2014
na so we see am o
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Missmossy(f): 10:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
I quite agree to this as this divorce ish affects all aspects of a woman's life. If such measures are taken,one will be assured of the wellbeing of a woman who might or might not be with kids in the longrun.
It will be so vital in the life of woman, who just went through the hassles of a divorce getting a substanial amount of money as trying to pay the bills is going to take a big toll on her expenses. So therefore finance should be highly considered as its a major issue to be noted.

2 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by ladygogo: 10:22pm On Jan 03, 2014
i sometimes wonder what all those female legislators do with their time in the National Assembly.

If these measures were in place i trust that a lot of endurance type marriages will have ended a long time ago.

17 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Trottle: 10:28pm On Jan 03, 2014
paris10:

Even in cases where the woman is found to be promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate measure should be put in place to make sure she share from the spoils.
I

Op, I thought you were making sense until you reached the above part. Are you that pained? I am not against renumerating your ex spouse but not a LovePeddler and if you insist maybe you should offer you brother(s), uncle(s) etc your opinion and watch their reaction. It seems you are one of those die-hard feminist that lacks objectivity.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 10:45pm On Jan 03, 2014
Trottle:
Op, I thought you were making sense until you reached the above part. Are you that pained? I am not against renumerating your ex spouse but not a LovePeddler and if you insist maybe you should offer you brother(s), uncle(s) etc your opinion and watch their reaction. It seems you are one of those die-hard feminist that lacks objectivity.

Maybe you've forgotten that it is for better or worse. Regardless of religion, our women deserve respect. And since Nigerian men are always quick to throw women out, they should also be able to pay for their irresponsible act.

2 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by bigx(m): 11:00pm On Jan 03, 2014
paris10:

Maybe you've forgotten that it is for better or worse. Regardless of religion, our women deserve respect. And since Nigerian men are always quick to throw women out, they should also be able to pay for their irresponsible act.

By throwing out a promiscuous woman and making sure she "shares from the spoils" as the other poster pointed out? In that case who was irresponsible?

PS. This is the 21st century, women are educated, work and at times earn more than the men.

20 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 03, 2014
bigx:
By throwing out a promiscuous woman and making sure she "shares from the spoils" as the other poster pointed out? In that case who was irresponsible?
PS. This is the 21st century, women are educated, work and at times earn more than the men.

Preach.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 11:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
bigx:

Promiscuity shouldnt form basis of your argument. You should consider other possibilities and senseless reasons why men divorce women.

The macho man and the " I am the owner of this house" syndrome is the only reason why Nigerian men behave this callously. If Nigerian men start parting with half of their property maybe they will think twice before filing for a divorce.

6 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 11:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ewuro707:

Preach.

He was preaching jebushit
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 03, 2014
I come in peace abeg angry
Stop quoting my post oh yeah? cool

2 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by bigx(m): 11:53pm On Jan 03, 2014
paris10:

Promiscuity shouldnt form basis of your argument. You should consider other possibilities and senseless reasons why men divorce women.

The macho man and the " I am the owner of this house" syndrome is the only reason why Nigerian men behave this callously. If Nigerian men start parting with half of their property maybe they will think twice before filing for a divorce.

I quoted you on the issue of promiscuity, check your original post.

And you don't think parting with half of the property would encourage some dubious women to divorce for no reason?

If the woman earns more nko? Do you support her parting with half of her property if her husband chooses to leave?

In my opinion the Post is emotional.

13 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by mgbeketoto: 11:55pm On Jan 03, 2014
Will the NIGERIAN BRUTISH BEASTS OF MEN EVER LEARN? grin
Or the stoopid women who put up with them claiming to be under 'spells'? cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 03, 2014
If the woman earns more nko? Do you support her parting with half of her property if her husband chooses to leave?
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by bigx(m): 11:56pm On Jan 03, 2014
paris10:

He was preaching jebushit

Usual attitude, when your argument lacks logic, you resort to insults.

It's obvious the intent of this post was to host a big, tearful pity - party,

I've stated my point, proceed with the party,

It's friday night afterall grin

12 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 03, 2014
bigx:

Usual attitude, when your argument lacks logic, you resort to insults.

It's obvious the intent of this post was to host a big, tearful pity - party,

I've stated my point, proceed with the party,

It's friday night afterall grin

Preach Bro grin
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 03, 2014
paris10: As in the norms in Nigeria, women who get divorced or are been thrown out of their matrimonial homes by their husbands tend to lose out alot.

Even in domestic violence cases, women who couldnt take the violence any longer divorce the husband without sharing in the property.

Though Nigeria is not UK, US or other western countries where women share in the estate or property of the husband after divorce, Nigerian men should atleast take responsibility in making sure the woman they divorce would be well-off after letting her go.

Laws should also be put in place to reward any woman whose husband left her for someone else. Even in cases where the woman is found to be promiscuous and the husband want out, adequate measure should be put in place to make sure she share from the spoils.

why is it the man's responsibility to make sure the woman is well-off after divorce? Doesnt she know how to work?

21 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 04, 2014
why is it the man's responsibility to make sure the woman is well-off after divorce? Doesnt she know how to work?

If na me talk am, this place will fill up in split seconds cheesy *yimu
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 12:20am On Jan 04, 2014
davidylan:

You married her promising you would take care of her. Who cares if she earns more! Some women work and some are full house wives (some men want their woman to be full house wife), so not their fault if they dont work.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 12:29am On Jan 04, 2014
It is the wife beaters who would lose out when or if law is passed in regards to property sharing. Women who are bread winners and own properties should also be able to reimburse and share the spoils with the men.
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 04, 2014
paris10:

You married her promising you would take care of her. Who cares if she earns more! Some women work and some are full house wives (some men want their woman to be full house wife), so not their fault if they dont work.

well i guess she will find that out after a divorce. Like i said, it is not my responsibility to make sure she has money to buy food after a divorce. Its laughable when you say she should be entitled to half the spoils of marriage even when she cheated and chose to exit the marriage on her own... what does that make husbands? A personal ATM for anyone with a vagina?

14 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by mgbeketoto: 12:45am On Jan 04, 2014
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by mgbeketoto: 12:50am On Jan 04, 2014
MEET MY ROLE MODEL!!!

Wait for the man to cheat. . .then divorce his azzzzzzzze and get you a YOUNGER BLOKOS!!!! cool
POOR NIGERIAN/AFRICAN WOMEN. . . ALWAYS SUFFERING FOR BROKE AZZZE NIGGAS!!!! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAaCjCIrmWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4a9rrxGvBs

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 12:52am On Jan 04, 2014
Nigerian men have a responsibility; emotionally, financially and psychologically to make sure their women dont go on to have post-divorce syndrome with the symptoms of self-pity, complex and confidence.

You think 9ja wont be a better place if men are cautioned? Would they have 2 wives if knowing what repercussions would follow if the other woman file for divorce?

Would women be treated better and respected if the men knew what cheating could cost them?
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 1:05am On Jan 04, 2014
paris10: Nigerian men have a responsibility; emotionally, financially and psychologically to make sure their women dont go on to have post-divorce syndrome with the symptoms of self-pity, complex and confidence.

You think 9ja wont be a better place if men are cautioned? Would they have 2 wives if knowing what repercussions would follow if the other woman file for divorce?

Would women be treated better and respected if the men knew what cheating could cost them?

And they have this "responsibility" after divorce because? Or is it your point that men are somehow immune from post-divorce syndrome?

2 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by paris10: 1:50am On Jan 04, 2014
davidylan:

And they have this "responsibility" after divorce because? Or is it your point that men are somehow immune from post-divorce syndrome?

Why not respond to the rest of my post. Why is it that you only have issue with the responsibility part?
Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by dlima: 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2014
@op this is a fantastic post. It is really worth thinking about . I have always looked on with concern at women who through no fault of theirs are kicked out of their homes and are left to wither in the wind. It occured to me that aside from women who really are career motivated the reason most women will never agree to bé housewives is because in the event of a divorce they will be left with nothing, even after the emotional investment and support.

1 Like

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 04, 2014
And to think some after graduation will just start popping out kids and have no zeal of working.

Imagine a female engineeering student selling okrika in ph market because there are kids. After all the fees and time spent.
Even better than those that decides to do nothing.

Pls try and gain some experience abeg.

As per divorce, for those men that decides with soft to stay at home, be ready to share 50 50.
Life should be fair

3 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jan 04, 2014
This must be a joke. If the woman cheats on me repeatedly, i will divorce her ass and take custody of my kids, pointing to the court that she is a bad influence on my kids(usher vs tameka style) Besides, thank God for California law 50/50, the solution is simple, do not marry someone below your economic status so if shit happens, you won't lose much. Get a good lawyer and frustrate the yeye woman jare. Why would you lose a lot for a crime ynu didn't commit. Guys shine your eyes.

11 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by bee444: 11:50pm On Jan 04, 2014
Only women who go through divorce with no fault of their own should be compensated dearly by their husbands. Men who throw their wives out just to marry another woman should be ashamed of themselves and should be held accountable for irresponsibility.

6 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by bukatyne(f): 12:28am On Jan 05, 2014
@OP:

Your thread would have had the desired impact if it was not too emotional and tilting against logic.

If we go the traditional route that a man provides, he only does so for his wife. Once they are divorced, they become familiar strangers.

Truth is I have never understood the need for divorce settlement except for a stay at home mom due to uncontrolable circumstances or couples who have joint investment. Patrimony? Yes

A man only owes his ex wife if he caused the divorce and the wife has joint investment with him or geninuely cannot survive on her own.

A wife who cheated the hibby and wants to part ways should also do.same

I guess we all should drop this entitlement mentality

29 Likes

Re: Divorce And The Suffering Of The Nigerian Women! by Nobody: 12:44am On Jan 05, 2014
If the story abt the female engineering student selling okrika is true, then she's a D.U.M.B.O... She shudnt av bn trained thru university in d first place.. Except if she's a single mum wit kids, then her plight and decision is understable, but married? And doing such!... That's d height of it, abeg! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

What do Your Parents Do When A Movie Gets To A Sex Scene / Mother Flogs Her Daughter For Visiting Man's House (pics, Video) / My Husband Is A Serial Adulterer, He Slept With My Sister – Woman Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.