Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? (4080 Views)

A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / Igbo Dialects / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (2) (3) (4)

Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by odumchi: 3:57pm On Aug 23, 2013
Kwara ihe nmadi n'anu! Ihe a o Igbo k'o nsu? Nwoke m, tam I kwuo okwu, kwapu ukwaara! Olu gi n'ada ele onye azuzu n'eme. Chinenye, ava gi ovuru ma na buru "Osunimi". grin

Here's my attempt: "Tell the water (?) something, and I'll tell it something too."
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:37pm On Aug 23, 2013
Antivirus92: only?

I didn't grow up in the east and most people I grew up around are Anambrarians. As for Izugbe its isn't hard to understand it,since its a collection of some of the most recognized Igbo dialects.

Translate this and tell me the dialect: Motor ayi shidolo ayi na ezi.
Ejiro onu eji agu ngu aja ekwe na uyom bu ego...Idenmili;translate.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by pazienza(m): 7:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
odumchi: Kwara ihe nmadi n'anu! Ihe a o Igbo k'o nsu? Nwoke m, tam I kwuo okwu, kwapu ukwaara! Olu gi n'ada ele onye azuzu n'eme. Chinenye, ava gi ovuru ma na buru "Osunimi". grin

Here's my attempt: "Tell the water (?) something, and I'll tell it something too."

Haha! Nna idi wicked o! Achikata kwam ochi, afo ana afuzi m ufu. chai! chinenye ga egbu mmadu o!
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:27pm On Aug 23, 2013
odumchi: Kwara ihe nmadi n'anu! Ihe a o Igbo k'o nsu? Nwoke m, tam I kwuo okwu, kwapu ukwaara! Olu gi n'ada ele onye azuzu n'eme. Chinenye, ava gi ovuru ma na buru "Osunimi". grin

Ya bu ele asusu na-ada mgbe ufodi. cheesy Ama m na i choro ka asusu gi di ka nke m. O bu ya bu uto okwu Ngwa kpoo cool

You got "tell" close enough, but that's about it.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by Antivirus92(m): 7:53pm On Aug 23, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Ya bu ele asusu na-ada mgbe ufodi. cheesy Ama m na i choro ka asusu gi di ka nke m. O bu ya bu uto okwu Ngwa kpoo cool

guy that clustering of consonants is never done in igbo language. We have udamkpi which are naturally joined to gether. Examples are nw,kp,kw etc. Ur usage of double consants like hw,kn,Lp etc is never part of igbo language. I wonder sometimes,is this how far you can go to prove that igbo people are different in everything just like u and ur friends use to say. This is abidii igbo- a,b,ch,d,e,f,g,gb,gh,gw,h,i,i,j,k,kp,kw,L,m,n,ñ,nw,ny,o,o,p,r,s,sh,t,u,u,v,w,y,z. Some i,u,o have dots below them.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:13pm On Aug 23, 2013
Antivirus92: guy that clustering of consonants is never done in igbo language. We have udamkpi which are naturally joined to gether. Examples are nw,kp,kw etc. Ur usage of double consants like hw,kn,Lp etc is never part of igbo language. I wonder sometimes,is this how far you can go to prove that igbo people are different in everything just like u and ur friends use to say. This is abidii igbo- a,b,ch,d,e,f,g,gb,gh,gw,h,i,i,j,k,kp,kw,L,m,n,ñ,nw,ny,o,o,p,r,s,sh,t,u,u,v,w,y,z. Some i,u,o have dots below them.

We've already had this discussion before, and I don't know why you find it difficult to comprehend, but we are not having that same discussion again. Onwu is one man's creation; only suitable as far as his own eyes could see. This isn't to belittle his work, because I honestly believe he did a good job considering what he had to work with.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by Antivirus92(m): 8:57pm On Aug 23, 2013
ChinenyeN:

We've already had this discussion before, and I don't know why you find it difficult to comprehend, but we are not having that same discussion again. Onwu is one man's creation; only suitable as far as his own eyes could see. This isn't to belittle his work, because I honestly believe he did a good job considering what he had to work with.
tired of ur type of person. When i wrote those alphabets,what i had been wanting from u was for u to tell that those alphabets are anambra thing and does not reach imo and abia. You gave exactly the same answer only that it is in another form. You try to divide everything in igboland. English,yoruba,hausa,greek alphabets were written by one person and the whole of those people wholeheartedly accepted it. But in igbo case, onwu alphabet is anambra and enugu thing, igbo culture difers among states, igbo history the same. Everything is divided. No homogenity. I tire for u people.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:04pm On Aug 23, 2013
Antivirus, don't destroy your own topic (incidentally a nice topic) with unnecessary posts like the above.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:15pm On Aug 23, 2013
It would be cool if people showcased the dialects they speak by recording themselves speaking for us all to hear. It would make this topic real interesting.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by Antivirus92(m): 9:20pm On Aug 23, 2013
ChinenyeN: Antivirus, don't destroy your own topic (incidentally a nice topic) with unnecessary posts like the above.
yes i am aware. I don't mean to insult but we should try to agree on the same thing most times and not division every time.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by odumchi: 7:20pm On Aug 24, 2013
pazienza:
Haha! Nna idi wicked o! Achikata kwam ochi, afo ana afuzi m ufu. chai! chinenye ga egbu mmadu o!

Ugha adighi n'okwu mu lol.

ChinenyeN:

ii o nna nnu. M ma ezi nne nne mu ihe onhu. O na nu okwu Ngwa maka o biele na Aba za nza di anya. O buru na o ghosapuu ihe onhu, mara na I na sunta n'imi.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:42pm On Aug 24, 2013
Antivirus92: yes i am aware. I don't mean to insult but we should try to agree on the same thing most times and not division every time.
That's where you and I differ. For me, it isn't even about that, and I do not see why you would want to remain so paranoid about division all the time, but that is a different discussion for a different topic on a different day. Just know I am not afraid to say I agree with you wherever I do agree and vice versa.

Anyway, back to the topic. I really would like to hear people's different dialects up here. It would make this topic seem less different than all the virtually synonymous "Igbo dialect" topics in the Culture Section archives.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:03pm On Aug 24, 2013
odumchi: ii o nna nnu. M ma ezi nne nne mu ihe onhu. O na nu okwu Ngwa maka o biele na Aba za nza di anya. O buru na o ghosapuu ihe onhu, mara na I na sunta n'imi.

Ka m kwuo ihe ga-ekwe gi nghosa: Tam i bia jiri "misconception" gaa, mara na okwu Ngwa nwere okwu ndi kwesiri isunta n'imi. Mgbe ufodi, ma a suntaghi n'imi, "meaning" agbanwe. O bu ele o du nde Ngwa (this has been explained several times before, I don't know why it need be explained again). Odo, i si na nne nne gi biri n'Aba. O di ihe o mere? I ma na okwu Ngwa m na-ekwu abughi nke Aba-Ngwa, ma o bukwanu nke "Onicha-Ngwa" grin. I makwa otu ahu. I makwa na anaghi m eji "biko gbaghara" ekwu okwu Ngwa ekhenkhem. Ihe onhu m mere (audio recording) bukwara ilulu Ngwa. O buru na nne nne gi aghosapuu ya bu ilulu; o nweghi ihe o mere.

Now that the explanations are done.. zikwa ya. Aga m "a-like" ima ihe o ga-ekwu. cheesy
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:33am On Aug 25, 2013
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by Antivirus92(m): 9:11am On Aug 25, 2013
Ndee ihe na emezi na threadia? Ndi be anyi ubosi uka oma onye obuna! Ama na onye obuna ejeena uka taata? Odumchi, igbugokwalu ibini ukpabi iyom okuko tata? Mee oso tupu iwe ewee ya. Umu idennaa ekenem unu ooo, igbo daalu nu!
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by odumchi: 5:06pm On Aug 25, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Ka m kwuo ihe ga-ekwe gi nghosa: Tam i bia jiri "misconception" gaa, mara na okwu Ngwa nwere okwu ndi kwesiri isunta n'imi. Mgbe ufodi, ma a suntaghi n'imi, "meaning" agbanwe. O bu ele o du nde Ngwa (this has been explained several times before, I don't know why it need be explained again). Odo, i si na nne nne gi biri n'Aba. O di ihe o mere? I ma na okwu Ngwa m na-ekwu abughi nke Aba-Ngwa, ma o bukwanu nke "Onicha-Ngwa" grin. I makwa otu ahu. I makwa na anaghi m eji "biko gbaghara" ekwu okwu Ngwa ekhenkhem. Ihe onhu m mere (audio recording) bukwara ilulu Ngwa. O buru na nne nne gi aghosapuu ya bu ilulu; o nweghi ihe o mere.

Now that the explanations are done.. zikwa ya. Aga m "a-like" ima ihe o ga-ekwu. cheesy

Enyi, o na I maghi guma o njakiri ka m n'ama ihe onhu? M ma na okwu Ngwa di icho icho. Ihe onhu dum I kwuru m ghosagbara wo dum. Ka m juo tee ri: O di okwu Aro ka I n'acho isu ihe onhu? I gbaliri kama I sutazighi ya aga o kwesiri lol. grin

M ma aju nne nne m ka vu ihe o m'ekwu. Na mgbe adighi anya m m'esesa onwe m (record myself) ebe m n'asu okwu nde Ohafia na Ututu.

Antivirus92: Ndee ihe na emezi na threadia? Ndi be anyi ubosi uka oma onye obuna! Ama na onye obuna ejeena uka taata? Odumchi, igbugokwalu ibini ukpabi iyom okuko tata? Mee oso tupu iwe ewee ya. Umu idennaa ekenem unu ooo, igbo daalu nu!

Enyi, ndaa? Udo o di kwa? Ibini Ukpabi erijuola avo. O nweghi iwe obula m'ewe ya. M nonwa.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:40am On Aug 26, 2013
odumchi: Enyi, o na I maghi guma o njakiri ka m n'ama ihe onhu? M ma na okwu Ngwa di icho icho. Ihe onhu dum I kwuru m ghosagbara wo dum. Ka m juo tee ri: O di okwu Aro ka I n'acho isu ihe onhu? I gbaliri kama I sutazighi ya aga o kwesiri lol. grin

M ma aju nne nne m ka vu ihe o m'ekwu. Na mgbe adighi anya m m'esesa onwe m (record myself) ebe m n'asu okwu nde Ohafia na Ututu.

Asi m ka m kwuo ihe ga-ekwe gi nghosa. Asigh m na m ga-ekwu okwu Aro. cheesy O bu esusu Elai m suatu, ya na mkpuruokwu Aro ufodi (i.e. "tam" ).

And yet another audio recording by yours truly.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by odumchi: 2:07pm On Aug 28, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Asi m ka m kwuo ihe ga-ekwe gi nghosa. Asigh m na m ga-ekwu okwu Aro. cheesy O bu esusu Elai m suatu, ya na mkpuruokwu Aro ufodi (i.e. "tam" ).

And yet another audio recording by yours truly.

Nsogbu adinughi. M ńara ihe onhu I ji sesa olu gi (recording). Ikwuru gi eziokwu, olu Ngwa gi di nma. I n'asusa ya aga e kwesiri. Ma o bunughi ihe odo m ghosagbara ihe I kwuru.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by achi4u(m): 3:47pm On Sep 02, 2013
I speak two dialects 'Ezza' and 'Izugbe' and any other mixtures of igbo language.

My Ezza dialect resembles Aro/ngwa to some extend.
Eg.
Ka m je ozi >>Izugbe

Tem je ozish >>Ezza

Tam je ozish>>Aro/ngwa(I maybe wrong though but my emphasis is on 'Tem' and 'Tam' words)
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:33pm On Sep 02, 2013
I can't speak Izugbe to save my life, honestly, but I can write it.

Anyway, the "tam" in Aro is not the same as the "ta m" for Ngwa or the "te m" in Ezaa. That aside, I know what you mean. I've had the opportunity to hear some Ezaa speech and I can say that there are a number of similarities between some Ngwa pronunciations and Ezaa.

Your "te/ta" is one example out of many. I have to say though that the way the "t" is pronounced between the two communities is different. For Ngwa, the t in "ta" is the same as the t in "ite" (to awake), while for Ezaa the t in "te" is more like the t in "ite" (pot).

We've also go "le/la", "Chileke/Chileke", and "iwhe/whne".
We both say "liile" for "all/every" and possibly "each".

Our syntax is markedly different though, which is what causes the distinction and the break in communication between Ngwa and Ezaa.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by odumchi: 5:28pm On Sep 02, 2013
achi4u: I speak two dialects 'Ezza' and 'Izugbe' and any other mixtures of igbo language.

My Ezza dialect resembles Aro/ngwa to some extend.
Eg.
Ka m je ozi >>Izugbe

Tem je ozish >>Ezza

Tam je ozish>>Aro/ngwa(I maybe wrong though but my emphasis is on 'Tem' and 'Tam' words)

Aro doesn't say 'tem je ozish'. We say 'ka m gaa ozi'. The 'tam' in our dialect means 'before'.
Re: How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? by achi4u(m): 8:25pm On Sep 02, 2013
odumchi:

Aro doesn't say 'tem je ozish'. We say 'ka m gaa ozi'. The 'tam' in our dialect means 'before'.
Alright.
I think I picked or come across that word from one of your/una numerous discussions

Thank u bro ChinenyeN for ur answer.

Are Ibaji And Oturukpo People Bilingual? / Funny - How We Roll In Ibadan (pics) / How To Easily Learn Any Nigerian Language

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49