Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,376 members, 7,829,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

The Implication Of Fani's Article! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Implication Of Fani's Article! (686 Views)

Churchill Okonkwo Warns Ndigbo To Be Wary Of Fani-kayode / Keyamo Speaks On Legal Implication Of President's Gift Of 2 Jeeps / EFCC Closes Case In Trial Of Fani-kayode Over Alleged Moneylaundering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Implication Of Fani's Article! by justcool(m): 11:14pm On Aug 19, 2013
I read the article where the man insinuated that the Yoruba’s should be respected because they were the first to interact with the whites, got westernized, and obtained western education. The question is: doesn’t this man see the racism, inferiority complex, and disrespect to his own people, implied in this idea of his? Is it something to write home about, when your people were the first to abandon the ways of their forefathers and adopt the white man’s ways? One who takes pride in this alleged fact only implies that the white man and his ways are superior to the African and his ways. How does being the first to deal with the whites make a people superior? Great intellectuals like Achebe and Soyinka always make it clear that colonization, which is euphemism for slavery, was obtained by trickery, force, and intimation. Hence, “Things Fall Apart.”

No true African intellectual will gladly celebrate being westernized! The implication of Fani’s claims is that the white man is God, and blacks inferior; hence, the first blacks to meet or interact with the whites should be celebrated and respected by the rest. And this man was once a minister? What kind of leaders do we have in Nigeria? This is why our leaders easily fall prey to western manipulation! They have not fully emancipated their minds from the slavish mentality that harbors the false idea that the white man is God! Hasn’t this man ever heard of cultural relativism? Doesn’t he know that westernization is not synonymous with civilization? Indeed civilization started in Africa!

It is this false idea that make Nigerian's living abroad walk around with an inflated ago and an air of false superiority when they visit Nigeria or return to Nigeria. "You should respect and worship me because I live in a white man's country! I live in God's country!" Pathetic!!!

If he had said that the Yoruba’s resisted colonization and westernization as much as the Great Kingdom of Benin did, then that would have been a better portrayal of his people’s ingenuity. While the Yoruba’s should be respected, as all African cultures should, one should not claim superiority based on the alleged fact of being the first to receive western education.

I respect the Yoruba because she is a great indigenous African civilization, like the Igbos, Hausas,etc. Not because she is the first to flirt the whites and western education.

Africans, have pride in who you are!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Implication Of Fani's Article! by confusion247(m): 12:14am On Aug 20, 2013
Kindly forget about that drug addict called Femi Kayode.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

GEJ 2015 / Withdrawal Of Public Funds From Banks: What Consequences? / Minister For Youth Development Sacked By Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.