Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? (8564 Views)

Top Five Hiphop Lyricist In Nigeria Right Now-Opinion / Is Nas The Greatest Rapper Or What? / Is Nas Truly a Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by eldee(m): 4:46pm On Jun 07, 2008
As most will already know, Nas bowed to pressure & changed the original title
But as a step of defiance to his critics, he has left the album untitled.

I am surprised that Nas didn't stick to the original title, it's never a good look to make a bold statement then withdraw it, especially as I'm sure he would have brought forward material to justify the title.

As you can see, Nas is definitely continuing the controversial theme with the album cover, with the obvious N on his back, the marks meant to look like 'whip lashes'. Nas has also stated that although he has removed the original title; ''NIGGA".

BTW, If you believe in picture saying a thousand words, then you'll know the album cover-art screams 'SLAVE' or 'NIGGER'

Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by abdurrazaq(m): 11:30am On Jun 09, 2008
I believe the title/contents of the LP will still revolve round the 'N' word if, that was what he meant by this statement.
"It's important to me that this album gets to the fans. It’s been a long time coming. I want my fans to know that, creatively and lyrically, they can expect the same content and the same messages. It's that important. The streets have been waiting for this for a long time. The people will always know what the real title of this album is and what to call it."
That single-hero is a good flash of what to expect from the album. I can't stop listening to it since I got it.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by baslone: 2:05pm On Jun 09, 2008
HE JUST CAN'T STOP,
ALWAYS GOT SOMETIN TO SAY,

TOO FULL OF GRAGS,
NEVER CROSSING OVER,

JUST TOO STREETZ,
TOO REAL,

PLEASE WHAT MO' CAN I SAY,
TOO ILL!!!
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by abdurrazaq(m): 6:27pm On Jun 09, 2008
The release date is now July 15, 2008 and not July 1, 2008 any more. I think the album would worth the wait whe it finally drops.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by abdurrazaq(m): 7:44am On Jun 10, 2008
The video for his former single - be a Nigger too has been released. It's more of a movie telling the story of slavery. It shows that be a Nigger too will still be part of the album.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by eldee(m): 2:13pm On Jul 14, 2008
I've got to admit that Nas surprised me . . . once again
I listened to Hero and the lyrics were spell-binding
And to think that's just one track

My lawyers only see the Billboard charts as winning
Forgetting - Nas the only true rebel since the beginning
Still in musical prison, in jail for the flow
Try telling Bob Dylan, Bruce, or Billy Joel
They can't sing what's in their soul

He also backed down a little from the Hiphop Is Dead stance

But people remember this
If Nas can't say it, think about these talented kids
With new ideas being told what they can and can't spit

With a single like Hero, who knows what to expect from the album itself?
With a Fox News diss and an Obama endorsement(which he he predicted since 2006), this album might be Nas' best since Godson
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by fastmoney(m): 2:23pm On Jul 14, 2008
i stopped listening to nas since hiphop is dead promo, didnt borther gettin the album, but i must say heard a snipet to the sly fox diss and i was forced to listen, but i still say he was wrong with that niggga album publicity stunt but anyway he feeding himself,
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by eldee(m): 2:41pm On Jul 14, 2008
@fastmoney
It was not a publicity stunt
Nas is big enough to sell gold without any TV ads
So watchu on?
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by fastmoney(m): 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2008
cmmon eldee, gold aint shit, nas is supposed to be moving plats with just his name, and i know nas aint seen too many plats so far, 50 can go double plat without a single promo but the still the biggest publicity stuntman in tha game, hope u get me eldee, and i dun bleeps with fif, five 0 is a snitch.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by eldee(m): 3:10pm On Jul 14, 2008
fastmoney:

cmmon eldee, gold aint shit, nas is supposed to be moving plats with just his name, and i know nas aint seen too many plats so far, 50 can go double plat without a single promo but the still the biggest publicity stuntman in tha game, hope u get me eldee, and i dun bleeps with fif, five 0 is a snitch.
Nas has said it repeatedly that record sales is not his first priority
Listen to Heaven (Godson)

His Hiphop Is Dead thing worked, cus the next year we saw good albums sales for good Hiphop
We saw Kanye, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco all selling well
He was and still is hiphop's hero

This UNTITLED album was made to attack another major issue
The title is a direct pointblank attempt at making the world listen
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by fastmoney(m): 3:47pm On Jul 14, 2008
any artist that says he dun wanna sell records is talking bare shit man, if he aint looking for sales why do i see album promo on defsounds.com right now? eldee admit it or not, we all know nas is good but he aint been lucky with record sales, if he aint seeking sales why then did he leave Columbia records, he accused them of not marketing his art properly,
Yes hiphop is dead worked as a publicity stunt after sucking off jayz didnt boost enough sales. besides kanye, the other artist you mentioned above are still selling below average. Infact this yr is a disgrace for hiphop cos its the year when a gay crack addick, man kissing, self shooting syrup sipping artist went almost plat in a week.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by tboy1(m): 3:51pm On Jul 14, 2008
fastmoney:

any artist that says he dun want to sell records is talking bare shit man, if he aint looking for sales why do i see album promo on defsounds.com right now? eldee admit it or not, we all know nas is good but he aint been lucky with record sales, if he aint seeking sales why then did he leave Columbia records, he accused them of not marketing his art properly,
Yes hiphop is dead worked as a publicity stunt after sucking off jayz didnt boost enough sales. besides kanye, the other artist you mentioned above are still selling below average. Infact this yr is a disgrace for hiphop because its the year when a gay crack addick, man kissing, self shooting syrup sipping artist went almost plat in a week.

R u talkin bout lil wayne cheesy grin cheesy
He almost went platinum because the album is pretty good, i was actually surprised myself when i heard the album
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by bgees(m): 5:19pm On Jul 14, 2008
NaS had no choice. The man had to bow to d pressure. But i'm sure if companies like WalMart had'nt tried to boycott the "NIGGER'' album,d title would have stood.

And its a shame d song 'be a nigger too' didnt make d final cut because of sampling rights.
I hope this album can change people's minds from d wack hiphop they are now used to.

Also NaS dosent follow d band wagon. He wont change his style just because he wants to sell. And u also want to ask urself.-how many of his peers have sold considerably well since d fall of real hiphop?

NaS fans d world over dont really mind about d record sales. Some just want another ILLMATIC and many others like d creativity and consciousness that comes with his albums.
YES NAS IS ONE THE GREATEST LYRICISTS AROUND.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by fastmoney(m): 9:13pm On Jul 14, 2008
bgees:

NaS had no choice. The man had to bow to d pressure. But i'm sure if companies like WalMart had'nt tried to boycott the "NIGGER'' album,d title would have stood.

And its a shame d song 'be a nigger too' didnt make d final cut because of sampling rights.
I hope this album can change people's minds from d wack hiphop they are now used to.

Also NaS dosent follow d band wagon. He wont change his style just because he wants to sell. And u also want to ask yourself.-how many of his peers have sold considerably well since d fall of real hiphop?

NaS fans d world over don't really mind about d record sales. Some just want another ILLMATIC and many others like d creativity and consciousness that comes with his albums.
YES NAS IS ONE THE GREATEST LYRICISTS AROUND.

tboy ur making real sence, the man hd to bow, and eldee is saying he didnt bow to commercial pressure, eldee also said nas aint botered bout sellin records, maybe eldee is just console him and trybesmen cos they didnt sell even a copy, sorry not even half a copy, lol sorry not even a single, no record sales at all, lol, maybe they ddnt care about record sales too,
oi tboy wagwan with south hampton, are there bare gurls on road der? man is ready to come there on a babe linking expedition,
lemme knw wgwan fam,
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by tboy1(m): 10:05pm On Jul 14, 2008
fastmoney:

tboy your making real sence, the man hd to bow, and eldee is saying he didnt bow to commercial pressure, eldee also said nas aint botered bout sellin records, maybe eldee is just console him and trybesmen because they didnt sell even a copy,  sorry not even half a copy, lol sorry not even a single, no record sales at all, lol, maybe they ddnt care about record sales too,
oi tboy wagwan with south hampton, are there bare girls on road der? man is ready to come there on a babe linking expedition,
let me knw wgwan fam,

I was tired of little wayne at one point cus he was on all d tracks and remixes and some of his music was just weak so i was expectin his album to be crap . . . i got plies-definition of real and LIL wayne- tha carter 3, and i did not listen to waynes album for a week cus i was really feelin plies album, but i was so surprised when i heard waynes album because every single track on d album was different and really good. i watched one documentary the other day and the lady asked lots of hip hop artist and celebrities what album have are they currently bumpin and enjoying in their ride . . . believe me all of em mention LIL waynes album
As per Nas, If he does not care bout record sales he wont have video to any of his songs

As per the chicks in southhampton they plenty but unfortunately i've moved out of southampton and im back in london (was only there for a year cus i was contracting with some telco company there) but i still go there cus my ex and some friends are still there . . . i think you'll enjoy d place in terms of chicks . . . the the air there is even fresh, not like this congested london cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by eldee(m): 10:52pm On Jul 14, 2008
fastmoney:

any artist that says he dun want to sell records is talking bare shit man, if he aint looking for sales why do i see album promo on defsounds.com right now? eldee admit it or not, we all know nas is good but he aint been lucky with record sales, if he aint seeking sales why then did he leave Columbia records, he accused them of not marketing his art properly,
Yes hiphop is dead worked as a publicity stunt after sucking off jayz didnt boost enough sales. besides kanye, the other artist you mentioned above are still selling below average. Infact this yr is a disgrace for hiphop because its the year when a gay crack addick, man kissing, self shooting syrup sipping artist went almost plat in a week.
Don't twist my words, I said record sales is not his first priority
It's not like it's a crime to go commercial, but he doesn't want to lose the legacy that his role models lay down for him
Nas' first attempt at going mainstream, the result was I Am hitting 470,000 in it's first week
Selling records is very easy for Nas

Making hits is easy
Put a famous bitch on the hook there you go with a platinum CD
(Heaven ft Mary J Blige)

And bout Hiphop's sales, GOLD for an Lupe is not bad in an era that the LP concept is dead
This is the era of iTunes, no one buys albums anymore

Nas advocated lyrical hardwork, we saw Eardrum, Finding Forever, The Cool, Graduation and others
When Nas dropped H.I.D, the only thing hiphop had to offer was Dem Franchise Boys, MIMS(That claimed he'll sell a mil sayin nuffing on the track)
C'mon hiphop had a kiss of life

The message hit the right places . . . wait for Dre's coming album
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by powerofmap(m): 11:16pm On Jul 14, 2008
@Eldee, I have been following this shit just reading and feeling you point.Nas is not crazy about record sales but hes just about the true meaning of hip-hop.Men Hip Hop is fucking Dead I was suprise when Syrup man Carter 3 hit everyone.

Nas remain Best Lyrist to me Don't know about Fastmoney.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by chiogo(f): 1:59am On Jul 15, 2008
Who knows?

I like 'hero' off the new album smiley
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by fastmoney(m): 2:43am On Jul 15, 2008
dre's album would come after obama becomes president, which means not in the near future,
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Bamsyle(m): 9:13am On Jul 15, 2008
No time to read all the comments but Nas brings da realest and keeps holding it down. Rap's Best Living Lyricist!!!
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hannibal: 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2008

Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist?

Without a doubt, he would make anyone's top 2 if not the BEST OVERALL.
I have been listening to his new album since last night and this nigga's knowledge is just top draw.
His width, delivery and punch-lines are so on point!!!!

From the track[ b]"Y'all My Niggaz", [/b] Nas spat. . . . . .

"They got NIGERIA and NIGER, 2 different countries
Somehow NIGER turned to NIGGER and shit got ugly".

Did the word NIGGER actually come from NIGER/NIGERIA?? tongue tongue
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Fadajasi(m): 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2008
Hmm,interesting
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by eldee(m): 2:51pm On Jul 15, 2008
fastmoney:

dre's album would come after obama becomes president, which means not in the near future,
It's coming out this winter . . . I'll just feed my ears with this one till thenI was the third person to get Nas' album, after Hannibal grin
He's been working on Detox since 2004

Hannibal:

Without a doubt, he would make anyone's top 2 if not the BEST OVERALL.
I have been listening to his new album since last night and this nigga's knowledge is just top draw.
His width, delivery and punch-lines are so on point!!!
So after he dropped the album of the year, he's not still convinced you he's rap's best lyricist?
Let's see if Em's album can do better than this, DMX cannot hit hard enough, Dre's one will prolly be delayed to allow Shady's album sell

With lyrics like this

I need faces mad with frowns
When I'm around
Or I'm wasting the fabric

Who thinks like this . . . imagine!!!

I burned so much trees
I keep environmentalists angry

He relates smoking weed to the WWF . . . Tell me this is not legendary?

Testify was a raised middle finger to his critics
Sly Fox was a pointblank magnum shot at Fox News

Nas showed s that he's the black man's CNN, you have to accept that this is what no one else could achieve

I used to worship a certain Queens police murderer
'Til I read the words of Ivan van Sertima
He inserted something in me
That made me feel worthier
Now I spit revolution
I'm his hood interpreter

No rapper will ever have this kind of influence on how we think again
His lyrics are sumn else
He's so cocky, for a good reason
And best of all, he knows what he's saying

Best Nas Album since Godson?? grin
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by bgees(m): 5:57pm On Jul 15, 2008
here is what the critics had to say about the album:

BILLBOARD: “More intelligence than hip-hop has displayed on a mainstream scale in years.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: “Neither preachy nor overly polemical, Nas uses his lyrical gifts to keep us guessing…it’s refreshing to hear a complicated record that doesn’t shy from grown-up ambition.”

NEW YORK TIMES
: “Nas hasn’t sounded as vibrant as he does on this, his ninth album, in years.”
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Bamsyle(m): 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2008
I ain't disappointed.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hannibal: 7:07pm On Jul 15, 2008
Bamsyle:

I ain't disappointed.

U cannot be disappointed. . . . . . . . Nasty Nas ripped it!!!!

It was worth the wait last night. . . . . me n Eldee were counting down till itunes released it at 12 on the dot!!!
The intro was the best i have heard from Nas. . . . He was slicing the beats like hot knife on butter.
His lyrics are reborn, new improved and top notch.

A definite MUST-BUY. It's inarguably the best RAP ALBUM this year. tongue tongue
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by eldee(m): 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2008
Hannibal:

You cannot be disappointed. . . . . . . . Nasty Nas ripped it!!!!

It was worth the wait last night. . . . . me n Eldee were counting down till itunes released it at 12 on the dot!!!
The intro was the best i have heard from Nas. . . . He was slicing the beats like hot knife on butter.
His lyrics are reborn, new improved and top notch.

A definite MUST-BUY. It's inarguably the best RAP ALBUM this year. tongue tongue
I know . . . our vigil was worthwhile, do you know I've listened to the whole album bout five times now since yesterday
The production was really good, and the fact that Nas still spits science is amazing
Nas has surpassed all expectations critics put on the album

Just take a look at Bamsyle's post, the radio and perfect lyrics have never blended this well
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by bgees(m): 9:09pm On Jul 15, 2008
@eldee & Hannibal,

but do u think d reception would be 'generally' positive. Is it capable of goin multi-platinum.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by TheSly: 2:29pm On Jul 16, 2008
Hannibal:

You are kiddin hombre. . . . . .
Wait for T.I's forthcoming album. . . . . .Thats when you'd know wuz up! cool
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by wormedup(m): 2:59pm On Jul 16, 2008
lol Sly,

are we talking about the same T.I here
i love T.I but don't shyt him with a Nas comparison; u'll ruin the lad's career !!!
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by TheSly: 8:28pm On Jul 16, 2008
wormedup:

lol Sly,

are we talking about the same T.I here
i love T.I but don't shyt him with a Nas comparison; u'll ruin the lad's career !!!
Yeah you are right. . . . . . .Im talking 'bout the King of the South!! cool
I agree, Comparing both is lame but hey!. . . . .
Who cares if he's the best lyricist alive and yet dude has never been in anywhere near the top 20 richest rappers??

Its all about the papers bro. . . .Poets n shits aint gon' pay ma bills!!!!!!!! cool
According to forbes, Currently T.I is at number 12 of the richest rappers and Nas is no where to be found. . . . . . .
Nas got it. . . . .No doubt but its a pity you can't take the best lyricist title to the bank! cool
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by eldee(m): 10:06pm On Jul 16, 2008
The Sly:

Yeah you are right. . . . . . .I'm talking 'bout the King of the South!! cool
I agree, Comparing both is lame but hey!. . . . .
Who cares if he's the best lyricist alive and yet dude has never been in anywhere near the top 20 richest rappers??

Its all about the papers bro. . . .Poets n shits aint gon' pay ma bills!!!!!!!! cool
According to forbes, Currently T.I is at number 12 of the richest rappers and Nas is no where to be found. . . . . . .
Nas got it. . . . .No doubt but its a pity you can't take the best lyricist title to the bank! cool

Ehen . . . Diddy is the second richest rapper, so, in your opinion he's the second best rapper innit?
Even though I know how good T.I is, your argument is flawed

T.I's album will be better than Untitled,
Why? T.I's richer grin grin

Infact tell me how T.I's money will pay yor bills sef tongue tongue tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Latest Foreign Hit Songs / DJ OP Dot - Best Of Seyi Vibez 2024 Mixtape / "where The F*** Is Kanye When You Need Him" By Eminem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.