Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? (1196 Views)

Look Who's Embracing Chris Oyakhilome! / Moving Photographs Show Pope Francis Embracing Man Disfigured By Disease. / Atheist, Why Embracing Buddhism And Not African Philosophy And Spirituality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by kinibd(m): 6:15am On Aug 21, 2013
Actor Lee Thompson Young committed suicide in his apartment yesterday by shooting himself, now E online is reporting that the actor's behaviour changed after he 'began practicing Yoruba'. What the heck are these people saying? When did Yoruba become a religion? Read the report below...

From E online.com

"The Rizzoli & Isles star, who was 29 at the time of his death, "didn't drink or party," says a source, adding, "He was the opposite. Lee loved to travel and was always the first to tell everyone to take a breath and enjoy the beauty of life." He was always "gentle and unassuming," despite his early success, and didn't have the typical "look-at-me" attitude.

That said, those close to Young noticed things "really changed" a few years ago when he began practicing Yorùbá, an Africa-based religion which has a saying, "iku ya j'esin", meaning "death is preferable to ignominy." Some have questioned whether this means that suicide is an acceptable way to preserve personal or family honor in the face of public shame.

However, Yorùbá culture icon and Chief Priest of Osogbo, Araba Ifayemi Osundagbonu Elebuibon, told the National Mirror earlier this year that the religion "[does] not support suicide. Their belief is that if somebody commits suicide, they will be punished in the hereafter."

The Famous Jett Jackson star "took [his religion] to the next level and started wearing white all of the time," says a source, adding, "This religion was everything to him." Although he reportedly took a break from practicing Yorùbá, he recently returned to the religion. Just before his death, he visited a small village in Africa for something reportedly related to the religion.
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by DesChyko1(m): 6:29am On Aug 21, 2013
Leonardo Da Vinci proclaims
"Blind ignorance doth mislead thee
O ye mortals, open thine eyes."

As Africans, we always tend to believe religion always entails supernatural beings. But in truth, religion is a way of life; entails principles and beliefs, even customs. Hence it's normal to say Yoruba is a religion. It's not all to it that meets the eye.
As for his death, it's sad, but it doesn't necessarily mean the allegation is true. Like I said, it's not all to it that meets the eye
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 21, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

As Africans, we always tend to believe religion always entails supernatural beings. But in truth, religion is a way of life; entails principles and beliefs, even customs. Hence it's normal to say Yoruba is a religion. It's not all to it that meets the eye.
As for his death, it's sad, but it doesn't necessarily mean the allegation is true. Like I said, it's not all to it that meets the eye
wetin dis wan dey write
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by Chanchit: 7:07am On Aug 21, 2013
This people just love spewing rubbish. Yoruba is a tribe and not a religion, if the article is anything to go by, then he might have been worshipping Ifa or Osun. Even if he worships any of them, none of the gods would tell him to commit suicide. The adage "iku ya j'esin lo" means its better to commit suicide than being disgraced, so they should go and search for the reason why he decided to apply that adage before rushing into silly conclusion.
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 21, 2013
this shows that all the rubbish they write about us is all out if ignorance. they can as well say that Nigeria has over 250 religions Ndi anu pam always looking for negative stories to tell about Africa.

OK oo Yoruba is a religion, oduduwa is their god, awolowo is their founder and tinubu their chief priest!!
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by Enegod(m): 7:37am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by DesChyko1(m): 7:51am On Aug 21, 2013
Yungwizzzy:
wetin dis wan dey write

"I hear a voice in the wilderness..."
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 21, 2013
WTF??
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by okeyxyz(m): 9:20am On Aug 21, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

In other words: english is a religion, spanish is a religion, german is a religion, shall I go on?? I was born in Nigeria and lived most of my life in Nigeria(Lagos), yet this is the first time I'd heard that yoruba is a religion, and you say this is normal?? Perhaps you don't understand the words you write above.
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by DesChyko1(m): 9:31am On Aug 21, 2013
okeyxyz:
blah..blah..blah..

I can decipher from your outburst that you're lost in your train of thoughts and thus, cannot comprehend my point of view. But I'll put you not to the sword. It's easy to get lost where one is a stranger
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by DesChyko1(m): 9:44am On Aug 21, 2013
Though some argue one is born already knowing their religious faith, classifying religion as something that cannot be learned but more as an inner spirituality present at birth, others would say there is no doubt religion is socially constructed and subconsciously learned plus spread through peers, family or close ones, strongly impacting societies and cultures. Some sort of hidden objective or purpose whether is it political, spiritual or other,motivates the creation of a religion through a"designated" individual, claimed to be here to spread the word, send a message to members of society and make changes or corrections in the name of faith. Often, we witness activists or political figures use religion to emphasize and point out the spiritual aspect behind their messages or motivations to attract followers..

Culled from studymode.com.

The bottom line is, it's never always about you and your idea. You're just one person. There are 6.6 billion other ideas, and it'll be foolhardy to remain hackneyed in this evolving world.

PEACE!
Re: Lee Thompson Young's Behaviour Changed After Embracing Yoruba? by DandeNumeruno(m): 10:20am On Aug 21, 2013
It's nothing new.

Americans see Yoruba, ewe, Mandingo etc as religions for some years now. The funny thing about it is that people encouraging them to do so are the African natives of those afore-mentioned tribes.

Americans truly are ignorant.

(1) (Reply)

Is Drinking of Palm wine a Sin? / 'I Can Cure Ebola Virus With Holy Water Cost $150,000' - TB Joshua / 10 Countries In The World Where Your Religion Will Get You Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.