Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,540 members, 7,955,005 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:15 PM

Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards (4426 Views)

Funds Looted From Nigeria In Last 5 Years Can Service 3 Annual Budgets – EFCC / 2016 Budgets By States In Nigeria.................check Your States Own. / AIT Hate Attacks On Buhari; A Violation Of Ethics And Standards Of Journalism. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by bilms(m): 4:19pm On Aug 21, 2013
Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards

A+ A A-
Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards

I spent 2 hours last week looking at the 2013 budget of America's biggest city-New York-and that of Nigeria's Lagos. New York budgeted $70 billion for 2013-14 fiscal year starting from June while Lagos budgeted 499 billion naira($3.1 billion) for this same year. The population of New York is about 8.3 million while Lagos is between 12-16 million. Does that tell you anything?

We are so poor that I often wonder how we manage to survive day to day life in Nigeria. How did we manage to get tap water and electricity in some areas?

People in the West asked how/where we were going to get money to pay for mobile phones in 2000. Thirteen years later, we are the fastest and biggest mobile market in the world followed by India. Our potential to turn our lives around is very huge. We only need a committed and visionary government. The kind of vision that brought us the Global System of Mobile Communications (GSM).

You don't have to speak flowery English, cite relevant statistics or hold a degree to create wealth. You don't have to be a president, governor, chairman or hold any political office to create wealth. Those in public office we always look up to like Governor Fashola, President Jonathan or those on Facebook speaking flowery English do not always have the skills to create wealth.

Kenneth Nnebue, a shopkeeper in Onitsha after looking at the excess imported video cassettes he had in 1992 decided to write and produce the film ''Living in Bondage''. The film was shot straight-to-video signaling the birth of Nollywood entertainment industry. Today, the industry employs hundreds of thousands of people and generate over $200 million annually.

A shopkeeper's idea gave life (jobs and money) to millions. Can a farmer come to our rescue this time? Can someone revolutionize our agriculture, mining, manufacturing? Can we get another Kenneth Nnebue?

Chika Omeje is a Business Analyst. He writes in from Doha, Qatar

Add comment
JComments
Share on Facebook

http://www.skytrendnews.com/index.php/opinion/blogs/95-reflection-on-how-to-reduce-poverty-in-nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Tobetoe(m): 5:17pm On Aug 21, 2013
Take it easy bro, we shall get there. U compared d two cities in a harsh manner,. And at dis point i totally disagree with u on d fact dat lagos state has larger population than New york city... So, i want to ginger u up nw, go get ur spanner and screw driver, lets get to work.. Abi ma people
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by bigass(f): 5:30pm On Aug 21, 2013
why are you comparing a state to a city. you mention new york city. Lagos is a state
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by bilms(m): 5:32pm On Aug 21, 2013
why should we not compare them?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by ba7man(m): 5:42pm On Aug 21, 2013
This simply means Lagos state is a village compared to New-York City.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by bigass(f): 5:54pm On Aug 21, 2013
the funny thing is that while the budget of new york city is 70b the budget of the whole new your state is just slightly higher $135.1 billion
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 21, 2013
Well let me put it like this to show you how far behind Nigeria is...The New York city police department annual budget is

bigger than the entire Lagos state annual budget...just the police department alone for the city not even the state.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by PapaBrowne(m): 9:23pm On Aug 21, 2013
bigass: why are you comparing a state to a city. you mention new york city. Lagos is a state

Lagos is a city. Check up the meaning of City. New York is also a State just like Lagos. There is Lagos City and there is Lagos State. There is New York City and New York State. The comparison is accurate.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by WildChild00(m): 9:46pm On Aug 21, 2013
The truth of the matter is that you can not compare Lagos to New york, and moreover, New york is highly developed dan Lag, "its like comparing a tipper truck to a Volks wagen bittle"
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by bilms(m): 7:48am On Aug 22, 2013
Why can't we compare? Since newyork is high developped, why is the highly developped spending more money on development and yet,the less developped spending less?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Ugosample(m): 8:04am On Aug 22, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Lagos is a city. Check up the meaning of City. New York is also a State just like Lagos. There is Lagos City and there is Lagos State. There is New York City and New York State. The comparison is accurate.
Nope... Lagns city is not up to 8 million. However Lagos Metropolitan Area which includes Ikorodu and the rest can be said to be 15 million max. However, New york city's population is about 8 million plus, however the metropolitan area is heading towards 20 million. Check it out.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 8:41am On Aug 22, 2013
New York's budget is twice that of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA?
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Afam4eva(m): 8:44am On Aug 22, 2013
PapaBrowne:

No, it's not. In the true sense, Lagos is a state and not a city. It's like comparing Abeokuta to Lagos.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 22, 2013
Damn i was just putting finishing touches on a similar article.

WHAT IS ALL THIS CITY VS STATE CRAP you guys are putting up. Fact is new york and lagos are similar in population and diversity.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by StObaino1(m): 8:52am On Aug 22, 2013
Lagos State is in Nigeria while NY is in the US.

What do you expect??
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by MrAboki: 8:52am On Aug 22, 2013
This is the type of Thread you open after blowing Highgrade S.K.. grin or When person wey never get U.S Visa before decides to write about Obodo Oyinbo.. grin

Imagine comparing a city and a State.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 22, 2013
New York budgeted $70 billion for
2013-14 fiscal year starting from June while Lagos
budgeted 499 billion naira($3.1 billion) for this same
year. The population of New York is about 8.3 million
while Lagos is between 12-16 million.
Its funny when people ask what lagos does with its "huge" fund, i always wonder if the know how much it cost to mentain facilities and institutions of government, new york Proves my point
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Afam4eva(m): 8:59am On Aug 22, 2013
Obiagelli:
Its funny when people ask what lagos does with its "huge" fund, i always wonder if the know how much it cost to mentain facilities and institutions of government, new york Proves my point
So, you want to compare the infrastructures in New York to that of Lagos. Don't also forget the the infrastructure in New York spans a larger mass when compared to small Lagos. There's absolutely no basis for comparison. I think Lagos is capable of doing more than it's doing presently since it's not even a people oriented government that directly caters for it's behemoth population.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by MrAboki: 9:05am On Aug 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, you want to compare the infrastructures in New York to that of Lagos. Don't also forget the the infrastructure in New York spans a larger mass when compared to small Lagos. There's absolutely no basis for comparison. I think Lagos is capable of doing more than it's doing presently since it's not even a people oriented government that directly caters for it's behemoth population.

Even if its maintaining the NYPD alone.. Or the NY City Subway systems.. Or the Public Schools.. Or the Parks & Recreation.. Or the Waste disposal.. or Maintaiming its Monuments.. What about its Judiciary System.. e.t.c.. Nna men!! Foggerabout! There is absolutely no room for comparison.

Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
What larger mass are you putting up with respect to budget, tell me if lagos gets a 1/4 of what new york has then how long would it take for lagos to match its infrastructures. Mind you a large chunk of NY's budget goes into maintenance
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Afam4eva(m): 9:11am On Aug 22, 2013
Obiagelli:
What larger mass are you putting up with respect to budget, tell me if lagos gets a 1/4 of what new york has then how long would it take for lagos to match its infrastructures. Mind you a large chunk of NY's budget goes into maintenance
There's still absolutely no basis for comparison. Even the infrastructure in Brooklyn, one of NYC's boroughs is more than that of Lagos. Tell me what gargantuan structure that Lagos uses it's fund for. What is it maintaining. Is it feeding the millions of Lagosians? Lagos is the smallest state in the federation and won't say it's because the land mass is soo big. You have to tell us where all that money is going. zThe problem with we Nigerians is that, because previous government have failed, any new government that does relatively well is over-estimated. Lagos government have done well but can do even more with the funds that accrue to it.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 22, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Even if its maintaining the NYPD alone.. Or the NY City Subway systems.. Or the Public Schools.. Or the Parks & Recreation.. Or the Waste disposal.. or Maintaiming its Monuments.. What about its Judiciary System.. e.t.c.. Nna men!! Foggerabout! There is absolutely no room for comparison.

And lagos don't have maintenance to do? Except for may be subway systems. Fact is lagos is under funded and the government should be praised for what it is able to achieve with its little funds.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
There's still absolutely no basis for comparison. Even the infrastructure in Brooklyn, one of NYC's boroughs is more than that of Lagos. Tell me what gargantuan structure that Lagos uses it's fund for. What is it maintaining. Is it feeding the millions of Lagosians? Lagos is the smallest state in the federation and won't say it's because the land mass is soo big. You have to tell us where all that money is going.
Is NY feeding its it residents? Smallest state in the federation with the largest population over 10% and biggest infrastructural mass, their are over 5000 tarred roads in lagos that has to be maintained with its peanuts budget, do you know how many government offices around the city, who pays thousands of lawma street sweepers, how about kai, lastma, lasraa, lirs, lasaa. Do you know how many state hospitals the government run? Do you know how much goes into the police. Have asked yourself why non of lagos facilities is decaying?
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Afam4eva(m): 9:28am On Aug 22, 2013
Obiagelli:
Is NY feeding its it residents? Smallest state in the federation with the largest population over 10% and biggest infrastructural mass, their are over 5000 tarred roads in lagos that has to be maintained with its peanuts budget, do you know how many government offices around the city, who pays thousands of lawma street sweepers, how about kai, lastma, lasraa, lirs, lasaa. Do you know how many state hospitals the government run? Do you know how much goes into the police. Have asked yourself why non of lagos facilities is decaying?
Why don't you tell us what Lagos gives to the large population because you keep raising the fact that since Lagos has that huge a population, it is spending a lot of funds on this population even when it's common knowledge that Fashola rarely engages in human development programs, when the reverse seems to be the case most of the time. We know Lagos probably has more responsibilities than any other state government in NIgeria but not in astronomical proportions because the things that makes Lagos different from other state which is it's population, is not directly been nourished with it's funds. The Lagos state civil service is also not that big for a city it's size. The biggest infrastructures in Lagos are actually federal structures(Airport, Seaport etc), so i want to know in detail what Lagos is spending it's money on.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by MrAboki: 9:32am On Aug 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why don't you tell us what Lagos gives to the large population because you keep raising the fact that since Lagos has that huge a population, it is spending a lot of funds on this population even when it's common knowledge that Fashola rarely engages in human development programs, when the reverse seems to be the case most of the time. We know Lagos probably has more responsibilities than any other state government in NIgeria but not in astronomical proportions because the things that makes Lagos different from other state which is it's population, is not directly been nourished with it's funds. The Lagos state civil service is also not that big for a city it's size. The biggest infrastructures in Lagos are actually federal structures(Airport, Seaport etc), so i want to know in detail what Lagos is spending it's money on.

I concur.. 100%

LASG spends all its money on LASTMA|LAWMA|BRT|&SALARIES.. #Chikina!

The good roads built by the LASG are tolled, Security is paid for by the FG, Seaports & Airport all FG, Most of the roads are all FG, So what exactly is this that LASG spends its Billions on...
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
The road, the hospitals, the schools, waste disposal, emergency Services, farm settlements, brt, water transportation, primary health care, Recreation centres,skill aquisation centers, Traffic Service and so on, NA ALIENS dey use them? Pls tell me
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by ba7man(m): 9:48am On Aug 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
Lagos is the only State that seems to commission new projects regularly. The Badagry Expressway, the Elevated train line, the Ikorodu expressway, Housing Estates under construction, Roads and drainages. Just a few of where LASG spends money.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 22, 2013
Mr Aboki:

I concur.. 100%

LASG spends all its money on LASTMA|LAWMA|BRT|&SALARIES.. #Chikina!

The good roads built by the LASG are tolled, Security is paid for by the FG, Seaports & Airport all FG, Most of the roads are all FG, So what exactly is this that LASG spends its Billions on...
Follow this link and see what NY spends its money on

nysaflcio.org/legislation/2013_2014_nys_final_budget_breakdown/

The link isn't coming out right, just google break down of new york budget
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 22, 2013
ba7man: Lagos is the only State that seems to commission new projects regularly. The Badagry Expressway, the Elevated train line, the Ikorodu expressway, Housing Estates under construction, Roads and drainages. Just a few of where LASG spends money.
Abi o, i knew where they were heading when they refuted the comparison
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by bilms(m): 10:27am On Aug 22, 2013
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by PapaBrowne(m): 10:38am On Aug 22, 2013
Afam4eva: .
No, it's not. In the true sense, Lagos is a state and not a city. It's like comparing Abeokuta to Lagos.

Ugosample: Nope... Lagns city is not up to 8 million. However Lagos Metropolitan Area which includes Ikorodu and the rest can be said to be 15 million max. However, New york city's population is about 8 million plus, however the metropolitan area is heading towards 20 million. Check it out.

A city is a geographic description while a State is administrative. States have clear cut boundaries defined by political entities, while cities are born out of socioeconomic consequences. Cities emerge, states are formed.
Lagos City or Lagos Metropolitan emerged and it includes even places like Isheri in Ogun State. However, Epe which is in Lagos state cannot be said to be part of Lagos City/Metro.
The same thing with New York city. Hoboken in New Jersey could almost be described as part of New York City while places like Staten Island are not exactly a part of the city but a part of New York State.

There is a strong basis for comparing Lagos and New York as they have very strong similarities.
Re: Lagos Vs New York: How Budgets Reflect Living Standards by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 22, 2013
PapaBrowne:

A city is a geographic description while a State is administrative. States have clear cut boundaries defined by political entities, while cities are born out of socioeconomic consequences. Cities emerge, states are formed.
Lagos City or Lagos Metropolitan emerged and it includes even places like Isheri in Ogun State. However, Epe which is in Lagos state cannot be said to be part of Lagos City/Metro.
The same thing with New York city. Hoboken in New Jersey could almost be described as part of New York City while places like Staten Island are not exactly a part of the city but a part of New York State.

There is a strong basis for comparing Lagos and New York as they have very strong similarities.
Very well put. Thanks for the clear explanation

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015 ELECTION: How PDP, Jonathan Plan To Unseat APC In Lagos / OBJ Congratulates Buhari: Tell Him To Beware Of PDP Plans For 2015 / Tinubu Draws Buhari Transition Team List

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.