Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,456 members, 7,770,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:09 AM

Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! (62479 Views)

I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits / Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For / List Of The Most Expensive Fruits In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by nnenneigbo(f): 11:39pm On Mar 13, 2007
hee my mum just told me that its udara or udala season now, also uchekwuit a small and black grows wildly in the bushes( don't know the universal names are)

here because of so many black people we get things like bitter leaf and Ugu but i do miss waterleave, ora or oha( for oha soup)
also achicha
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by omoge(f): 1:12am On Mar 14, 2007
at nneneigbo (mai name sake wink)
do you remember that udara song/lyrics? i love udara miss it. i think its sweeter when it rains. 

first line

udara pu, pu pu pu dendenle

last line ibe ya o dendenle ibe ibe ya dendenle,

memories of song my mother taught me.

nnenneigbo:

hee my mum just told me that its udara or udala season now, also uchekwuit a small and black grows wildly in the bushes( don't know the universal names are)

here because of so many black people we get things like bitter leaf and Ugu but i do miss waterleave, ora or oha( for oha soup)
also achicha
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by nnenneigbo(f): 12:13pm On Mar 14, 2007
@omoge

of course i remember the song, funny how we all remember silly things like that. about udara being sweeter when it rains ( lol) thats what people alwasy used to say. But when its sour its sour regardless of rain or whatever, ah when you get those sweet ones, you better go back to the same lady and buy somemore( hoping she doesn't slip in the sour one into the bunch LMAO

good old days
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by finemocha(f): 2:46am On Mar 21, 2007
USELESSNESS he asked food and vegetables, not your mummy's cooking (someone actually said periwinkle grin )
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by mimivicto(f): 10:27pm On Apr 05, 2007
IYEYE
AGBALOMO
ASALA
UBE
MALAM- PURPLE SUGARCANE
PAW-PAW
PITANGA
MANGO
BOILED GROUNDNUTS
ALL THE FRUITS AND VEGGIES I GREW UP WITH
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by Zandra1(f): 7:15am On Apr 27, 2007
I miss everything about Nigeria especially: oha, egusi, onugbu soup with pounded yam/fufu, palmwine, udala(pink apple?), suya, cheleku, ugeruge(achikara), ugiri, guava, all the varieties of mango, uvuru, anyara and ose oji, corn, cocoa, Limca, Mirinda etc. They are so many so I better stop here.
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by omoge(f): 2:42pm On Apr 27, 2007
anyone like Ofin? that seedy stuff that the young seed is boiled, i think it's pumkin seed, so delicious when boiled, yummy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by tayola50(f): 4:10pm On Apr 27, 2007
It just has to be agbalumo and those small pink apples they are d best!!!
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by nnenneigbo(f): 10:06pm On Apr 27, 2007
Zandra1:

I miss everything about Nigeria especially: oha, egusi, onugbu soup with pounded yam/fufu, palmwine, udala(pink apple?), suya, cheleku, ugeruge(achikara), ugiri, guava, all the varieties of mango, uvuru, anyara and ose oji, corn, cocoa, Limca, Mirinda etc. They are so many so I better stop here.

hehehehe
i love all those things, including the non fuit and veg, mirinda LMAO
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by soulpatrol(f): 11:03pm On Apr 27, 2007
you forgot to add:
nabisco cornflakes - the second it touches water, thats the end, it just turns to porridge/baby food grin
bournvita - use cold water to make it and na so so chew you go dey chews the cocoa lumps
sugar cane - lawd save your teeth!
cabin biscuit - poor man's food. just throw it at someone's head and the person fit collapse. so hard
nasco wafers - yum yum yum
gala - traffic holdup snack
goody goody - hated it though. so thin and annoying grin
chocomilo - looks so much like maggi cubes. hard as hell!
puff puff
fan yogo (yogurt) - aaahhhh, ice cold and deeelishis! grin

so many more. how person no go miss home undecided
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by nnenneigbo(f): 11:34pm On Apr 27, 2007
soulpatrol:

you forgot to add:
nabisco cornflakes - the second it touches water, thats the end, it just turns to porridge/baby food grin
bournvita - use cold water to make it and na so so chew you go dey chews the cocoa lumps
sugar cane - lawd save your teeth!
cabin biscuit - poor man's food. just throw it at someone's head and the person fit collapse. so hard
nasco wafers - yum yum yum
gala - traffic holdup snack
goody goody - hated it though. so thin and annoying grin
chocomilo - looks so much like maggi cubes. hard as hell!
puff puff
fan yogo (yogurt) - aaahhhh, ice cold and deeelishis! grin

so many more. how person no go miss home undecided

i loved chocomilo

choco choco choco milo
remember the advert
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by tayola50(f): 12:02pm On May 02, 2007
soulpatrol are you sure you don't go back home in your dreams  grin to eat all these snacks but its so true sha i remember them they are my all time favorites too, even the cabin biscuits, gala mmmmmm,
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by Rlst84sale(m): 3:46am On May 03, 2007
Mango, asala, guava, grape fruit. Almost all our fruits and veggies are naturally cultivated.
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by nigergirl(f): 11:03pm On May 26, 2007
the things I miss most are
paw-paw, cashew, ube, roasted maize, sawa-saw(spelling might be wrong), guava, mango, ground nut(made the nigerian way), ukwa, sugarcane, palmwine(the best), GALA, udala. there is soooo much more but this is the jist of it.
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by AlRaheem(m): 7:44pm On Jun 12, 2007
I use to sell alot of them. but the names are fading.  I Loved the Boiled Gound nuts also and the roasted in sand kind.  I love that fruit that Bats also eat-with a special treat inside its shell.  Guava, tangarine, suga caines with the stubborn casin or shell.  Mango. that fruit that cashews comes off of.  I bet Americans don't even know Cashew comes from a fruit.  That exotic apple pinkish color like w/ a little furry insides.  Unsmashed Avocado.  Pineapple-no other kind like ours.  The coconuts for coconut rice,  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-55775.0.html#msg1196232 I wish we the hard woking ones can all hook up in the US and plan some Hi tech Sh*t on conserving all our goods.  We have too many.  and so much Gdp that can be gross in.  Cocao tree produces Chocolate and grow in Naija.  yes we Thank God, for they are all Naturally grown w/o crazy chemicals.  Cease from being a flying alone Bee.  You might not last or be satisfy.  Our Order!!! recommended that we work 2gether
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by soulpatrol(f): 10:40pm On Jun 12, 2007
@Al Raheem. what got me crackin up was the fact that you actually know the kind of food bats eat! grin what are you, blakula? nah, just kidding. but seriously, how you go sabi the food wey those evil looking things dey chop? the day i bumped into a bat at night, i had nightmares for days o, maybe because i'm superstitious. but that shit was funny. grin grin
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by AlRaheem(m): 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2007
@Soul Patrol, you got me laughin too.  I can imagine your run in w/the bat, u girls and creatures worldwide- You make us laugh.  Have u ever seen one of those bat electrocuted on a Nigeria power line.  Some eko people eat those Bats lady.
@Topic do u guys abroad recall

Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by omoge(f): 12:42am On Jun 14, 2007
i love date yummy, eaten with roasted groundnut/peanut, so yummy cheesy a friend from Chad used to bring it to us. do they have it in nigeria? maybe in the north. didnt eat it all my time there, Al Raheem, do you know Dinyan fruit? it mainly found in the north.
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by AlRaheem(m): 2:32pm On Jun 14, 2007
Omoge, no i don't recall the name Dinyan fruit. Do u know anoda name 4it? Trouble with the names 4 me lately. But i am sure if it exist i have had it. I spent alot of time in the fruit market. @all who remembers sesame seed or Pappi seed i think. Those little mini seeds. Of course plenty of Dates in all of Africa in abundant. Even in the U.S now!!
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by soulpatrol(f): 9:00pm On Jun 14, 2007
wow, funny i lived in the north for a while and there's no ijekuje fruit i didnt eat. i do remember them tsamiya, kuka, and yeah those sesame seeds as well. its used for candy and on buger buns etc. very tasty. no fruit wey i never chop for north. no wonder i always suffered from typhoid! thank the lord i'm still alive! cool

i dont remember dinyan either, unless it goes by another name.
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by AlRaheem(m): 4:06pm On Jun 16, 2007
Soulpatrol, don't kill urself thru food & Junk oh. Do u remember the chocolate acandies and Sugar wafers from naija
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by omoge(f): 1:09pm On Jun 18, 2007
i don't know the suna (name) in turenchi (english) wink oh let me see how i can describe it. this fruit is small, smooth skin and roundish. it is green when unripe but turns black when ripe.

tsamiya could knock the head out lol grin i like licking locust bean (the one in a pod) the seed is used to make i think dawadawa (soyabeans is used too).

qwaruru !! just too yummy!
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by soulpatrol(f): 1:14am On Jun 19, 2007
omigod, omoge did you live in the north? cheesy you know so much about these fruits o and your hausa is so impressive. cool

remember kuka, dakwa and goruva? goruva nearly spoil my teeth finish. that shit was hard to scrape off, but tasty if its very ripe. remember them junk food too - waina, kuli kuli, gurasa (lawd, that was the tastiest shit i ever ate grin), dankali (ok thats fried sweet potatoes, right) etc. i miss living in the north when i was small o grin good times!
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by soulpatrol(f): 1:15am On Jun 19, 2007
man, i just remembered, the juice from cashew nuts are acidic. when they stain your clothes, you no fit take am off o! cool
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by OgidiBoy(m): 1:34am On Jun 19, 2007
Anyone here ever gone through that place the call Forest on your way to Jos? The have the sweetest oranges and mangoes out there I'd always stop by there on my way to Abuja to buy fruits.

Folks back home take fruits for granted I swear, if only the can come to this  place and eat what these people call fruits *hisses*
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by omoge(f): 10:51am On Jun 19, 2007
i agree with you. we take fruit for granted in Nigeria. i spend alot of kudi, money, ego and owo on fruit here. you know there is no tree to climb and pluck fruit from  grin

@Soul, yes i know those fruit haha. i do make kuli kuli and danqua myself with other yarinyas. see when you have northern friends, we yarinya just group ourselves and make them. used to make fura and then we buy milk (i don't like raw cow milk) to eat/drink with it. we make yanji too just to eat our kose.

we use cashew to put mark on our hands lol. do you know it itch and when you scratch it, it become sore? big sore o

Do you know MASA? it's made from corn and then fried on a flat clay ware with round hole. little oil is added when making masa. it taste so good with that soup made from karikashi (sour leafy vegetable) i think that's the name right? or with yanji. Yanji or Yaji is one too good stuff  grin use for eating akara (kose), SUYA, and Masa. i miss masa lol  cheesy

yeah, i wonder how the north is now.
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by AlRaheem(m): 5:41pm On Jun 19, 2007
i thought masa is eaten w/sprinkle sugar.   Who remembers the tiny bananas.  Is grova the same fruit as guava?
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by soulpatrol(f): 11:00pm On Jun 19, 2007
@omoge. hmm, girl you had a really fun childhood o. i grew up in the north too and there's no fruit we didn't pluck from trees. always got into trouble for doing so. we didn't care that we were girls, we climbed trees with the boys o.
yeah, i ate a lot of masa. our neighbours made it every single day and we always had chops plenty plenty grin
damn, i miss hot kosai (akara) and that hot yaji. chei! sometimes if we couldnt get kosai in the early momo, we just eat the bread with hot oil. (very ghetto ehn? grin)

walahi, hausa peeps have variety sha when it comes to fruits/food. we yoruba/igbos and the rest just get big mouth, no variety. ok maybe small sha. i looooove eating hausa-made food. its the best. especially their stews and ijekuje.
i drank a lot of fura da nono. my pops brought it home almost everyday.

@Al Raheem. i remember tiny bananas o. those things scared me cos they remind me of midgets, who i'm deathly afraid of! (i dont know why) and no, goruva is no the same as guave. goruva is the size of guava, but very hard, and you have to use your teeth to scrape of the fleshy part to eat. there isnt much flesh on it, its mostly the big seed thats left.
guava on the other hand is mostly fleshy with very tiny seeds in it which are edible. lord, i haven't eaten that in ages! cheesy the ripe guavas have pinkish seeds inside.

bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i want to go back to the north! tongue
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by AlRaheem(m): 1:07am On Jun 20, 2007
Me too- i desperately want to go back home now at all cost.  I found the Cheapest one way ticket to be $680.  First place am goin is Kano, i haven't been there since the age of 7 w/ my mom.  She is a native from there.  I remember everything though.  Like the train and its bathrooms.  Remember they use to sell those nice sweet can drinks on them and our favorite ijekuje.  I remember the orange looking Noodles.  and some other things i can't describe.  I remember the scent of the Best inscence in the world.  What is that one white thing the hausa sells that u also eat with the red cayenne pepper.  Very popular in Obalende-it is served hot no peels to it.  Very chewable in the shape of peeled  sugar cane.  n e way thanks a lot for helping refreshing my memory!!
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by soulpatrol(f): 3:44am On Jun 20, 2007
ha ha, Al Raheem.  grin you really want to go back home huh? i feel you, mayne. i lived in kano for a while so i know the
deali-o.  cheesy if you dey buy ticket to go, abeg purchase one for a sista o!  grin

i'm not sure i know the fruit/food you were describing, maybe if you tell me the color, shape etc i might recall - nothing wey i never chop. i didn't suffer from typhoid fever all those years for nothing. he he grin

damn, there are so many other things we ate back then that i cant recall the names in hausa. abeg, refresh my memory too o. lol.
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by AlRaheem(m): 4:40am On Jun 20, 2007
Soul Patrol, my brain is out of order!!! When would u like to go to naija? So do u remeber kano well well??
Re: Nigerian Fruits And Veggies! by soulpatrol(f): 4:51am On Jun 20, 2007
ah, kano is my second home. na riot and wahala drive us comot o. i even went to school at the university secondary school. had a lot of older friends that went to bayero university itself. was a very good place to grow up in. no backbiting and witchcraft among friends/family, like our yoruba/igbo counterparts. grin everybody cool together. life was simple and fun.

did you grow up there as well?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See Yam I Bought For 1500 Naira. Did I Do Good Or Did They Shave My Head / See The Plate Of Rice I Bought For #400 / Checkout This 40ft Trailer Load Of Cow Meat At An Event Recently (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.