Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,004 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st (14234 Views)

FG To Unveil Beneficiaries Of Halliburton Bribe / National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft / Update On Registration For The New National I.D. Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by awodman: 8:40am On Aug 23, 2013
The stage is now set for the federal government to unveil
the much-awaited national carrier - about seven years after the liquidation of Nigeria Airways.

THISDAY can report that the new carrier, to be known as
‘Nigeria One,’ will be unfolded as part of the 53rd
Independence anniversary message by President
Goodluck Jonathan on October 1.

Competent federal government sources told THISDAY in
Abuja Thursday that the airline would form its nucleus from some of the domestic airlines, including Aero Contractors and Air Nigeria.

The recent acquisition of 60 per cent stake of Aero by the
Asset Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON), it was
gathered, was a strategic step towards the actualisation of government’s national carrier aspiration.

The 60 per cent stake, which led to the take over of Aero
by AMCON was occasioned by the about N32 billion it owes banks.

To set the new national carrier on a sound footing, the
federal government is said to be making efforts to inject
about N200 billion through a transparent private sector
Initial Public Offering (IPO).

Although it was not clear what arrangement the
government had reached with the owner of Air Nigeria,
THISDAY learnt that barring any unforeseen circumstances, the new airline was scheduled to commence full operations before the end of the year.

The liquidation of Nigeria Airways in 2005 during the
administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo,
against admonitions by Nigerians and international bodies,including the International Finance Corporation’s (IFC’s) option of privatisation, has opened the floodgate for huge capital flight at the detriment of the country.

The huge repatriation by foreign airlines, lack of capacity of domestic airlines, the futile attempt to make Lagos State a hub in the absence of a national carrier, and the wanton exploitation of Nigerian travellers by foreign airlines, as well as many other factors have further compelled the incumbent administration to look the way of a national carrier.

The government was particularly trying to use the new
national carrier to reduce the huge advantage foreign
carriers have enjoyed over the years through the Bilateral
Air Service Agreements (BASAs).

Aero Contractors was formed in 1959 as a wholly-owned by Schreiner Airways B.V of the Netherlands. It became a
company with initially 40 per cent Nigerian holding in 1973 and subsequently 60 per cent in 1976.

In January 2004, Schreiner Airways was bought by
Canadian Helicopter Corporation (CHC) which acquired 40 per cent holding of Aero Contractors while 60 per cent
majority share remained within the Ibru family group.
Until the acquisition of 60 per cent stake by AMCON, Aero
was wholly-owned by the Ibru family.

Air Nigeria, formerly known as Virgin Nigeria was midwifed as a private airline in 2005 by the federal government with British carrier, Virgin Atlantic Airways as the core investor.

However, the British carrier was to divest later, paving the way for Jimoh Ibrahim to acquire the airline and change the name to Air Nigeria.The airline was rested last year after the owner disengaged the workers.

Source:www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-to-unveil-new-national-carrier-in-october/157033/

3 Likes

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by yunglykmine(m): 8:45am On Aug 23, 2013
I don't know if this is actually a priority now...
*grabs popcorn & Fanta* chilling to read from other posters.
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by soundtruth(m): 8:52am On Aug 23, 2013
They should acquire Arik, medview and all other local airlines to form a monopoly and then immediately privatize it through the stock exchange.

1 Like

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 23, 2013
All I want to hear is that this new carrier will be wholly managed by the private sector on a performance contract basis.

Or else...

1 Like

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 23, 2013
HNosegbe: All I want to hear is that this new carrier will be wholly managed by the private sector on a performace contract basis.

Or else...
That is exactly what it is. Wholly private sector managed.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That is exactly what it is. Wholly private sector managed.

Good.
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 23, 2013
Still On the right course, no shaking at all
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by kutchs: 9:11am On Aug 23, 2013
HNosegbe: All I want to hear is that this new carrier will be wholly managed by the private sector on a performace contract basis.

Or else...
Yes given the inability of successive Nigerian govt at efficient management.
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by awodman: 9:13am On Aug 23, 2013
yunglykmine: I don't know if this is actually a priority now...

It is because it will drive airfares down..and further increase travelling options..so flying will no longer be seen as the exclusive preserve of the rich
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by kutchs: 9:15am On Aug 23, 2013

When will something ever be a priority to folks like you? Perhaps you need to read the news again to see how needful the national carrier has become. Everything doesn‘t have to be measured in naira and kobo u know?

11 Likes

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Maxymilliano(m): 9:18am On Aug 23, 2013
Good move ...
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by iamswizz(m): 9:23am On Aug 23, 2013
Shebi, na naija wey dey..

Make we dey watch whether e go last.

1 Like

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 23, 2013
Nice
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nigerianmovie(m): 9:29am On Aug 23, 2013
Another great achievement by GEJ. fresh air everywhere u go.

GeJ is working, ApC is bad mouthing in confusion

20 Likes

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 23, 2013
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by ChemicalMallam(m): 9:53am On Aug 23, 2013
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by blayz0923: 9:58am On Aug 23, 2013
as far as jobs r created(transparently) I would welcome it.

1 Like

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 23, 2013
iamswizz: Shebi, na naija wey dey..

Make we dey watch whether e go last.
I pity your life
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by premlove(m): 10:00am On Aug 23, 2013
Ooohhh watin i wan even write dat tym eeehhh ok
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Sniper4real(m): 10:00am On Aug 23, 2013
HNosegbe:

Good.
aw e gud
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by IGBOSON1: 10:00am On Aug 23, 2013
If this woman pulls this off, my mouth would drop in amazement! shocked I'm already impressed with her thus far, and this would only be jara (extra) if it actually happens.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 23, 2013
I just hope it would not be sold to Jimoh Ibrahim again or another friend of the government!
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Kslib(m): 10:01am On Aug 23, 2013

Popcorn don suffer for una hand sha..
When person wan go toilet,he go grab popcorn..
When people dey fight,una go grab popcorn..
Na only Popcorn be food...
All izz well!

1 Like

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 23, 2013
Yungwizzzy: akpa amu why not use that billion to settle ASUU and let the students go back to school always putting priority on non important things

ewu asaba
You are the Ewu here. I'm a student of OAU, and I totally support the Federal govt on this one, those lecturers are greedy.

Keep running ur mouth while GEJ is working tongue

11 Likes

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by kingarizona(m): 10:02am On Aug 23, 2013
And how is this sh*t going to end ASUU strike undecidedundecidedundecided
Huh
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by princemolak(m): 10:02am On Aug 23, 2013
Shebi na Oct 1 abi,we Go See, Gej Is working, Apc is calculating

?...
Want to Learn how To Make Money online?check www.onlinemoneydon.com
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Brimmie(m): 10:04am On Aug 23, 2013
Nigerian movie: Another great achievement by GEJ. fresh air everywhere u go.

GeJ is working, ApC is bad mouthing in confusion

If your I.Q na call credit, e nor go fit flash!! undecided

I pray God work on your life same way Jonathan is working on the lives of Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by bunmioguns(m): 10:05am On Aug 23, 2013
princemolak: Shebi na Oct 1 abi,we Go See, Gej Is working, Apc is calculating

?...

For your Mind Abi
Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by 9jaboy007: 10:11am On Aug 23, 2013
well dis a very good developmt sha ooh, am an anti jona but say d trut he has don more work than any president since abacha

2 Likes

Re: FG To Unveil New National Carrier On October 1st by Nigerianmovie(m): 10:14am On Aug 23, 2013
Brimmie:

If your I.Q na call credit, e nor go fit flash!! undecided

I pray God work on your life same way Jonathan is working on the lives of Nigerians.

hello just saw ur missed call. What did u want to say?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abdulmumin Jibrin Shares 20,000 Bags Of Rice As Ramadan Gifts (Photos) / APC Campaigns In Ikot Ekpene Local Government ( Pictures) / Ondo Farmers Jobless, Hungry After Herders Fed Their Crops To Cattle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.