Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Movie Editing Secrets For Directors - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movie Editing Secrets For Directors (617 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Female Film Directors -- Nollywood Mirror / Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? / Movie Editing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Movie Editing Secrets For Directors by bodmax: 5:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
Let us start by seeing movie editing as the final stage of interpreting a movie scene in most cases.

Editing in our context will be basically non-linear; whereby software application(s) and accompany hardware(mostly computer system) are used to simulate footages(recorded audiovisual & images) to desired result.

The wide choice of application software, computer hardware and other proprietary hardware sophistication may vary according to requirements.

Many will say the secret is with a good editor but I will say "NO". Rating the skill of a good editor, his expertise can be benchmark with his years of experience, volumes of job done, value of project executed and physical assessment of work-done. The secret of good editing is not simply with the "grey-hair" editor nor with the most advance editing suite the world can ever produced. This is because there have been tonnes of nicely edited work that has no appeal instead the footage would have better not edited at all.

We will take our mind away from cut and paste traditional editing and far off from effect loaded modern editing style. The problem of most editor is never skill, gadget or software hassle but the director coordinating edit.

Editors are mostly solo-thinkers, they love working without interruptions. They prefer the all necessary instruction to be given at once and be left alone to do the "magic". The director on the contrary is always desperate on the job and that always conflict.

Due to this problem, there are always two type of edit environment for director. The "My Edit" and "your edit"; this is the secret of Movie editing.

Permit me to explain my meaning of "Your Edit" environment. This situation does not allow the collaboration of ideas between the editor and director. There are countless factors which makes most editor pretend to cooperate having feigned interest whilst they rush the edit to get away from it. In such case that edit job to such editor is"Your Edit", he felt he is task with fulfilling a burden to get his pay check.

Another common and most dangerous one is the situation whereby the director left the job for the editor alone. To some editor it is a blessing, an interesting
moment whereby he fills in his interpretation of the story in the editing process even if there are laid down instructions. The story suffers uneven interpretations.

The most wearisome type is a situation whereby the job was just a burden to the editor for lack of input from the director. The feels of such movies always speaks differently from written script. "Your Edit" is a common trend due to ignorance of most production outfit. It started by dumping the job unsupervised to editors' lap, it is gives a confusing flow of idea in such movies.

Now shall we discuss "My Edit" environment? It is the edit suite whereby both the editor(s) and director(s) works harmoniously to the interpretation of the script. The control environment for the world interpretation of the script. At such moment the movie is safe-guarded from the editors "mind" alterations. The editor process always re-create the story against the director's script, this is always a disaster.

In my edit the director understood this as well as the editor so they are both synergies making the most of the two different perspective. The director becomes the driver and the editor the bus conductor. As simple this sound it does not happen often.

You cannot buy an editor cooperation, you have to earn it.

1 Like

Re: Movie Editing Secrets For Directors by martinbaker(m): 6:46pm On Aug 23, 2013
I spent two months directing a 12 camera concert & documentary edit at a company called were the owner wanted a "my edit" environment in order to speed it through fast because of a deal over money. Unfortunate for him I saw that one coming & hence got rid of two"grey haired" editors the day they started before choosing my own editor, who was in tune with what I wanted. We soon settled down to a "our edit" formulae, were I would leave him to do his magic, then direct re cut to (a) avoid event production problems (b) add visual effects. This caused the edit house owner a major headache, as he simply did not understand the creative process & didn't enjoy my continued verbal demonstrations, or posting a note on the edit room door for him "Fake Banana EdIt", so having completed the offline he refused to even allow me a DVD of my work stating that he had not earn any money, poor man?.

So the lesson leant is not to allow investors & partners to take control & stick to your guns for quality as this is the only way forward for any production. If you know your onions you should budget accordingly (which I had) & allow the director to work with their own people to produce the best results for the audience. its not a question of just belting it out there must be pride in your work & enjoyment in achieving it, life is hard enough in the world of entertainment, but please remember don't bend to the egos or greed of others, suffer the aches & pains, because your work speaks volumes.

2 Likes

Re: Movie Editing Secrets For Directors by Briareos(m): 11:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
Нєу buddy. Good work!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tom Clancy Dies At 66 / Share Your Weird TV Viewing Experience. / Are Movies A True Reflection Of A Society?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.