Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / . (19093 Views)

Average Cost Of Chemicals For Paint Production / Small Scale Paint Production / To Set Up A Paint Production Plant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by 400billionman: 9:55am On Jun 16, 2015
gbadexy:

I'm sorry but dont have the time.

I have sourced a hand held mixer...

The search has been fruitful. Thanks

1 Like

Re: . by gbadexy(m): 10:03am On Jun 16, 2015
400billionman:

I have sourced a hand held mixer...

The search has been fruitful. Thanks
Thats great. it far beats manual production both in efficiency and quality of paint.
welcome proper to the industry.
Re: . by 400billionman: 10:16am On Jun 16, 2015
gbadexy:

Thats great. it far beats manual production both in efficiency and quality of paint.
welcome proper to the industry.

Una just dey code everything bro...
Re: . by Reflexz: 5:30am On Jun 30, 2015
My school project is on production of emulsion paint from cassava starch. However, I have to produce the actual paint from the normal raw materials before substituting with the local content. Please I need help on how to produce paints. Thanks.
Re: . by gbadexy(m): 6:10am On Jun 30, 2015
Reflexz:
My school project is on production of emulsion paint from cassava starch. However, I have to produce the actual paint from the normal raw materials before substituting with the local content. Please I need help on how to produce paints. Thanks.
okay. will try to give you a formulation for what you want as part of my nairaland corporate social responsibility.
I assume you are expected to use the starch as the main binder and as a thickener.
The starch would have to be prepared the traditional way of using hot water. i dont think cold water starch is as effective as the one prepared with hot water.
I suggest you use very high pigment as it cant accomodate high calcium carbonate filler.
if i were to do it, i would disperse 2 kg of titanium dioxide in 1 kg of water with 50 gram genopur dispersant or a powder detergent in the absense of that.
i would add the coloured pigments to get desired colour.
i would prepare starch in medium consistency in a 10 kg water and add the dispersed pigments to it.
i would add 3kg of kaolin clay to it and 2kg of any plastic clay. i would also add 5 kg of calcium carbonate while mixing all the time.
Then add 100 grams of glycerol to minimise any possible cracks as a result of shrinking of the dried starch and clay and add 100grams of acticide preservative.
There is no possible way i could think of that you can get emulsion paint formulation and just substitute only the starch. the starch you would need has to be very substancial and the pigments would be suspended in the starch solutionso that it bonded by the dried starch just as it binds paper marche.
you may need to increase the calcium carbonate filler gradually if the paint spreads to thinly with little opacity. this would reduce the spread so that the paint film is thicker and more opaque but not much that you cant apply smoothly with roller.
you could even substitute all the clay and calcium carbonate fillers with 10 kg hydrated lime. you would need to wait for 24 hours before testing its application to allow adequate water absorbtion of the lime.
Its a project. experiment around the formulation i gave and improvise on it. The formulation is per 20 litres bucket
regards.
Re: . by Reflexz: 6:25am On Jun 30, 2015
Thanks a lot gbadexy... I'll try to work with this and see how it turns out. U're very kind. Thanks man. How can I contact u subsequently 2 keep you posted on the progress of the work, a phone number maybe? I'm guessing I'll have more questions along d way. Hope to get the raw materials by weekend though for the commencement of the practical work proper. Once again, I'm grateful.
Re: . by gbadexy(m): 8:48am On Jun 30, 2015
Reflexz:
Thanks a lot gbadexy... I'll try to work with this and see how it turns out. U're very kind. Thanks man. How can I contact u subsequently 2 keep you posted on the progress of the work, a phone number maybe? I'm guessing I'll have more questions along d way. Hope to get the raw materials by weekend though for the commencement of the practical work proper. Once again, I'm grateful.
Re: . by ogbagha3: 1:43pm On Jul 12, 2015
Thanks
Re: . by ogbagha3: 3:10pm On Jul 12, 2015
Thanks gbadexy, for ur whatsapp chat today has been helpful I hope it continue and yield a great result
Re: . by badboy: 10:44pm On Jul 12, 2015
@ gbadexy.
I have learnt a lot from this thread. Unfortunately, I am not in Lagos otherwise I would have attached myself to you as PA for a year to learn even more from your vast knowledge. I tried out some practicals to produce a drum of quality paint for my sitting room, with 3 Kg Titan and 5 Kg PVA amongst others, as seen in your post. It came out nicely but I have an issue with the shine. It's too much for me. How do I get rid of the shine? A friend says perhaps the PVA content is too much. Plus, the PVA I saw in the market is liquid like pap, not paste ,as stated earlier in this thread. I am trying to get a finish like the Dulux trade matte. What do I do? Kindly advice. Thanks in advance.
Re: . by gbadexy(m): 10:49pm On Jul 12, 2015
badboy:
@ gbadexy.
I have learnt a lot from this thread. Unfortunately, I am not in Lagos otherwise I would have attached myself to you as PA for a year to learn even more from your vast knowledge. I tried out some practicals to produce a drum of quality paint for my sitting room, with 3 Kg Titan and 5 Kg PVA amongst others, as seen in your post. It came out nicely but I have an issue with the shine. It's too much for me. How do I get rid of the shine? A friend says perhaps the PVA content is too much. Plus, the PVA I saw in the market is liquid like pap, not paste ,as stated earlier in this thread. I am trying to get a finish like the Dulux trade matte. What do I do? Kindly advice. Thanks in advance.
increase the calcium carbonate content till you get the desired sheen.
Re: . by badboy: 1:35am On Jul 13, 2015
[quote author=gbadexy post=35793659]
increase the calcium carbonate content till you get the desired sheen.

Thanks for your prompt response. My initial formulation had no calcium carbonate. Luckily for me, I had some left over by my screeder and I tried it out. The sheen reduced but now I am getting slight texture on the wall. I tried diluting the paint and applying it thin by dry rolling but the coverage gets affected and the texture from the calcium carbonate is still noticeable. I can't seem to get the smooth surface I initially got without the calcium carbonate included which I prefer, if not for the high sheen. I'm looking to achieve a very smooth, flat finish like the Dulux Trade matte. I'm wondering.......this more durable acrylic binder you earlier mentioned is used in external paint formulations.......what exactly is it? Can it substitute for the PVA in my formulation without giving me a sheen or does it also give sheen like PVA? Plus, is there any material that could be added to my initial formulation to kill the sheen completely without affecting the paint quality? Thanks for your time and best regards.
Re: . by gbadexy(m): 4:05am On Jul 13, 2015
[quote author=badboy post=35796877][/quote] you could try extra smooth calcium carbonate. its very smooth like talc powder. All binders give sheen.
Re: . by Mariammi(f): 8:25am On Jul 13, 2015
Pls Where Can I Buy The Paint Chemical In Lagos, Am Staying At Iyana Ipaja,
Re: . by dynamopaints: 10:58pm On Oct 17, 2015
@gbadexy, I appreciate ur vest knowledge on this topic, pls I lwant to step up my painting knowledge on satin emulsion, egg shell, matte emulsion, road marking paints and a comprehensive contemporary colour mixing chart with clear measurements.
Re: . by holyram: 5:45pm On Jan 01, 2016
please, what is the best ways to market paints, ranging from emulsion to gloss.
Re: . by karlxavier(m): 6:32pm On Jan 01, 2016
For paint producers, do you need Palm kernel oil for producing paint?
Re: . by gbadexy(m): 7:28pm On Jan 01, 2016
I haven't heard of palm kernel in paint production.
If I know the perfect way to market paint, I would be a millionaire. Paint companies too are still scheming how to dominate market, so I don't know how I can proffer advice on that.
This thread is old and I have since stopped training.
The distraction is much.
Re: . by wieziana(m): 2:37pm On Jan 16, 2016
dynamopaints:
@gbadexy, I appreciate ur vest knowledge on this topic, pls I lwant to step up my painting knowledge on satin emulsion, egg shell, matte emulsion, road marking paints and a comprehensive contemporary colour mixing chart with clear measurements.
Pls gbadexy I also nid information on dis paints formulations. Tanx
Re: . by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 23, 2016
@gbadexy...u didn't mention carbon black I believe it's used as pigment? I also want to know more about PVA and how it is produced. Thank you

1 Like

Re: . by Raylight2(m): 4:44pm On Dec 09, 2016
please how can I produce marine paint?
Re: . by Raylight2(m): 9:52pm On Dec 30, 2016
gbadexy:

just ask for sharp or smooth marble dust.
I observed my paints settle down after a week to form a very hard solid. please what chemical am I not adding please?

please sir, kindly help me with a solution.
Re: . by soullacoaster(m): 10:38am On May 15, 2017
I have been following this post on paint making for quite some time now and I discovered a whole lot of wrong information that is not up to per on paint making.

if anybody tells you that paint making is hard that person is lying. paint making is something you can learn in a few hours if you are really ready and sharp. all you have to do is just know the basics like the raw materials and their functions, the cost of raw materials, how to measure and mix and safety standards, that's all there is to paint paint making .

and anybody posting that there manual goes for #3,500, #4,000 or #5,000 shows that the manual doesn't contain any detailed formulations information on paint making. a good and informative manual should sell for nothing less than 30,000 and it should contain at least 30 types formulations. then if you want a manual that contains approximately 460 formulations that should cost you about 150,000 and they are excellent high grade low VOC paint formulas that meet international standards and can be compared toe to toe with paints like DULUX, BERGER, CAP and other international certified paint products. and last but not the least you should be ready to spend money on research.
Re: . by Dondollars4u(m): 5:48pm On Jul 25, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu Celebrates His 59th Birthday (Photo) / Dangote To Begin Coal Mining In November / What's The Use Of Foreign Exchange Reserve?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.