Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines (10939 Views)

Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles / Nairaland Cars At Ridiculous Prices / N.land Auto Dealers And Ridiculous Prices For Nigerian Used Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by texazzpete(m): 6:42pm On Jun 10, 2008
Originally: Lagos State Govt Institute Exorbitant Fines - Are They On Crack?!

This was scanned from Guardian of yesterday. Unrealistic fines!

Imagine N250,000 fine for driving One-way.

And we all know how police lead motorists into one-way traps.

Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by nkc(m): 7:11pm On Jun 10, 2008
i guess its good, make lagosians coole tongue tongue
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by ssRhino: 7:39pm On Jun 10, 2008
Anyone that drives against the traffic should not only be made to pay 250K but should be jailed for a long time, someone with good head wont do such, so kudos to the govt.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Ovamboland(m): 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2008
The fines indicates sheer madness shocked on the part of the goverment. The whole essence of governance and law enforcement is stood on it's head.
Someone needs to tell them to update our database system so we can have first offender, and habitual offender variance.
To me this is another black man's wuruwuru to the answer!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by tglaz(m): 2:50pm On Jun 12, 2008
kul.
i hope the law makers dont end up breaking the law themselves.
lagos could get better.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jun 12, 2008
I was amazed too at that sum of money. . . .and I pity those "Okada" riders, because parting away with N250, 000 isn't a joke (with 250, 000 you can buy 5 brand new "okadas"wink grin 

It'd be advisable too for the Government to put signposts at every one-way traffic, so as to shield innocent motorists from falling prey. (most of these roads are without sign posts!!!!)

Anyone that drives against the traffic should not only be made to pay 250K but should be jailed for a long time, someone with good head wont do such, so kudos to the govt.

LOL. . .alternatively, there is a jail-term of 20days with community service. wink
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by viperman: 3:54pm On Jun 12, 2008
Some good lawas , and some bad ones.
So what if my car engine knocks on the road or something breaks down the car on the road at night, will i be paying that 50k fine the following morning?
Not s sensible i tell ya
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Seun(m): 3:56pm On Jun 12, 2008
Why should the owner be convicted for the offense if he or she is not the one driving? Stupid.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Blatant: 3:58pm On Jun 12, 2008
viperman:

Some good lawas , and some bad ones.
So what if my car engine knocks on the road or something breaks down the car on the road at night, will i be paying that 50k fine the following morning?
Not s sensible i tell ya

If your car breaks down on the motorway in the UK, you will pay a fine. The UK people are also not sensible tongue
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Seun(m): 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2008
Really? Well the fine in the UK for your car breaking down is probably not equal to five month's salary.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by proo212(m): 4:09pm On Jun 12, 2008
I think what they are trying to do is that since the problem is rampant, shocking people with the fines and one or 2 prosecution will make people toe the line quicker than saying a fine of 10000. Some big men will say, to hell with it and commit the crime because they can afford 10K Naira.

In Germany for instance, you have fines as low as 5 euros for not having a first aid kit. A repeat offence will obviously cost more but there is a database of offenders. This you do not have in Nigeria.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Jeovy(m): 4:18pm On Jun 12, 2008
Government needs more money,nice avenue to get one
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by landre: 4:28pm On Jun 12, 2008
what exactly do we want as a country, the other day they ban street party some people say the fine is too small , now the fine is too much na wa for my people , anyway i think its a good law because every country just like every state is different . they can afford to have a lesser fine in uk or us because people naturally obey laws but for lagos i think its a good step when yu think of 250k yu might have a rethink before yu break the laws.

however i would advise lagos to use hand camera as an evidence to prosecute people in court, so some people wont come here to tell us they are unlawfully charge to court.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by anonimi: 4:32pm On Jun 12, 2008
Drastic misbehaviour needs drastic corrective action.
The question we should ask is if the amount may be enough deterrent or not?
Moreover to be on the lookout for government officials (who ordinarily are our servants) who may break and not pay and make such a big fuss out of it.
3rd world to 1st world no be by infrastructures and big buildings only, it is more by attitude/behaviour and zero tolerance for lawlessness, which in Nigeria now equates to bigmanism.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by MethodMan3(m): 4:36pm On Jun 12, 2008
It is high time we start convicting people violating road traffic

Good idea if it works, we all know Nigeria like to introduce laws but will it work is another question?!

Traffic situation in Lagos in particular is atrocious and something drastic like this needs to be done to sound out warnings to offenders!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 12, 2008
landre:

what exactly do we want as a country, the other day they ban street party some people say the fine is too small , now the fine is too much na wa for my people , anyway i think its a good law because every country just like every state is different . they can afford to have a lesser fine in uk or us because people naturally obey laws but for lagos i think its a good step when yu think of 250k yu might have a rethink before yu break the laws.

however i would advise lagos to use hand camera as an evidence to prosecute people in court, so some people wont come here to tell us they are unlawfully charge to court.

But what do you expect from a Lawyer-Governor? More laws are yet to come. . . .

I think, it would have been alot better if and only if we stop chasing shadows in Nigeria and concentrate more on Economic Development, Youth Empowerment Scheme, Youth Development etc. How I wish the issue of unemployement were tackled this way, then would our street be rid off of hapless young ones!

So many people have been banned from their daily businesses, especially those street hawkers, street horticulturists, (those on Mobolaji-Bank Anthony way etc), petty-traders etc! and yet we are complaining of armed robbery everywhere It's alarming how we reason.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by PeeDaVinci: 4:50pm On Jun 12, 2008
good times for the police, opportunity to increase the minimum egunje fees, carry go, lagosians
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by tsharp(m): 5:10pm On Jun 12, 2008
now you see why we should have given ojo maduekwe and his bicycles a chance.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by PurestBoy(m): 5:14pm On Jun 12, 2008
Whose account is that going? I guess some set of people need money
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by ayomifull(f): 5:15pm On Jun 12, 2008
OlowoTee:

It'd be advisable too for the Government to put signposts at every one-way traffic, so as to shield innocent motorists from falling prey. (most of these roads are without sign posts!!!!)

They will make sure its either not available at all or its not conspicious so people can fall prey, its not like they care about the safety but about the money they will realise, no the money to be remitted o, believe me the area will now attract lots of policemen and touts who would ask those that will fall prey to bribe them or pay the fine, and you know the way it works in Lagos pay me N10.000 now or go pay N250,000, good avenue for the touts in uniform to make money.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by idonland(m): 5:23pm On Jun 12, 2008
I think its a great idea, if you break the law you should pay the fine, why should anyone in their right mind go against traffic in the first place? Also if you are sitting in your car and you let your driver go against traffic you are just as guilty as he is, you should be punished maybe even more because most likely you know better than he does.

And for the abandoned cars fine, it happens in just about every developed society, here in yankee it varys from state to state how much the fines are and also they can sell your car after 30 days if you dont pay.

I think it is a step in the right direction.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by shawn123: 5:49pm On Jun 12, 2008
littering the streets in Atlanta would attract the fine of $1000. Trust me the streets are mad clean. I think its a good law. Lagosians never listen, but this will get every body cautious and orderly,
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 12, 2008
In my own opinion i think all the fines are justifiable considering how uncivilized Nigerians can be driving against traffic and all. The only Fine i disagree with is the speeding ticket price, I mean u even hardly see speed limits anyways and common, this will only encourage corruptiona gain with this hightly untrained cops who will just use this as an opportunity now to say u are speeding when u are not and then maybe ask u to pay them 100,000 naira rather than paying 250K to the government. Another thing is do they even have radar guns to determine how fast u are going I think the intention behind this fines are good, but its like putting the cart before the horse when it comes to the speeding fine!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 12, 2008
On second thought/, I think a lot of people will be sleeping in jail cause dang 2000 dollars is kinda a lot for some minor speeding!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by ima1(f): 6:12pm On Jun 12, 2008
I think it is a good idea, it would teach Nigerians to drive well and obey the law, it should also be implemented in Abuja, cuz the last time i was there people were driving like they were crazy, creating 5 lanes on a 3 way lane even going to the extent of driving on the other side of the road that was meant for cars going a different way. but on the other hand there would be an increase in corruption, where would all the money collected go to, whose pocket.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by pappilo(m): 6:33pm On Jun 12, 2008
@ blatant

U r a blatant liar!

If your car breaks down on a motorway in the UK, u dont pay any bloody fine! You have phones on the road to call the emergency services to get a free tow to the hard shoulder if the vehicle is obstructing traffic.

1 Like

Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 7:47pm On Jun 12, 2008
pappilo:

@ blatant

You r a blatant liar!

If your car breaks down on a motorway in the UK, u don't pay any bloody fine! You have phones on the road to call the emergency services to get a free tow to the hard shoulder if the vehicle is obstructing traffic.

papillo cool down. What he said might be subjective but not a lie!!! There are conditions for everything but one thing is for sure; no free lunch in freetown. So even if you make a call to AA, you must have taken the policy first!!!

UP LAGOS!!! Maybe now we can have some sanity and not think that "sorry" will cut it.

We are a country of apologists; Someone hits your car; Sorry; Someone breaks the law; sorry. Enough is enough. I just hope they will keep it up and not stop after a couple of months.

I remember when tinubu was sending people to yaba. People sat up. Go on Fashola wink
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Digiman(m): 8:26pm On Jun 12, 2008
Cool !!!, This is a step in the right direction, if you get caught breaking the law you deserve to be punished heavily !

I like no. 5 very much, and I hope it covers "OKADA" as well - no more overloading
[img]http://members.virtualtourist.com/vt/ps/19de0a/0/[/img]
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by popsonj(m): 10:49pm On Jun 12, 2008
Well it's a very good development but it's easier said than done.
Let's wait and see how it's been implemented and then they will get
the full credit. No be this naija, we know how officials do, you bribe them
on the way and you are not made to get to the right authorities
All the same, Lagos is changing for the better and i give Kudos to the
state government for their effort
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Guk: 11:12pm On Jun 12, 2008
Whilst i support Law & Order, i am totally AVERSE & even angry with such Draconian Laws with specific reference to items 4 & 6 i.e Abandoned Vehicles and Overspeeding respectively.

For item 4: Abandoned Vehicles, it says Unreasonably long period of time. Without defining such, you are only seeking to oppress people with such a phrase. You are therefore subjected to their own definition of Unreasonably long period of time, which could possibly range from 1 minute to whenever!!!

For item 6: Overspeeding:- What is our speed limits? Is it not their responsility to publish it?

If you investigate, its possible that inflow from LASTMA has dwindled, therefore, they have to come up with more extortioning ways

The truth about Nigeria is that we are just Wicked to one another. Every body is seeking to oppress the next man. What a shame!!!

1 Like

Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by romeo(m): 11:46pm On Jun 12, 2008
That's some positive steps by the government!! If you spit on the streets or pour water on the streets in Palma de mallorca you'll pay fine up to 500 euros. Now check that out!!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by ayusman16(m): 12:24am On Jun 13, 2008
Dat would only give the lasma official and police officers to feed fat on culprits. A colleague fell victim and was made to cough out 20k after hours of negotiation. the thieving lasma officer even followed him to the atm to withdraw the money. the officials i know would lead u into their traps. Hmm! think they are trying to discourage pple from driving to reduce the choatic traffic situation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cars Are Melting In Kuwait Due To High Temperature / Driving Schools In Lagos: Someone Help Me Out Pls / 5 Major Reason Why It's Difficult To Rotate A Steering Wheel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.