Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines (10957 Views)

Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles / Nairaland Cars At Ridiculous Prices / N.land Auto Dealers And Ridiculous Prices For Nigerian Used Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by eboweme: 3:36pm On Jun 20, 2008
Some times I wonder if these law makers 've heads at all. Abi na so lawyers de churn out out laws that are repugnant & repulsive? Make una help me ask Sir FASH, Tinubu chatise us wt weep but this man wan chatise us wt scorpion. God de sha!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 5:07pm On Jun 20, 2008
eboweme:

Some times I wonder if these law makers 've heads at all. Abi na so lawyers de churn out out laws that are repugnant & repulsive? Make una help me ask Sir FASH, Tinubu chatise us wt weep but this man wan chatise us wt scorpion. God de sha!

as you gree say you dey stubborn and come be law breaker, na so koboko go dey chop your ynash and pocket!!! grin grin
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by toskom(m): 12:09am On Jun 21, 2008
Is this law also applicable to federal roads? offence on federal roads can only be prosecuted by fed. govt. The fine impose on this commercial drivers is not just the problem, the lagos state govt went as far as saying that passenger in a non-commercial vehicle will also be fine. Can someone please tell the government to look at the law again to amend it.

my position concern all this is that, if the standard of living of nigerians increase, there will be definitely a change in our behaviour. though, the lagos state govt can not stand by and watch things degenerate but definitely this is not the solution. remeber the KIA established by the past governor, those guys made money out of lagosians. i see this going the same way. more money for police officers and lasma.

let us address the issues not what we perceived as the issues. i beseech all nigerians to continue to pray for this great country called nigerian. God bless Nigeria
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by babakuns: 5:00pm On Jun 23, 2008
fine and good but yoruba say; it is one thing that disqualify one animal they call (AJAO)simply that its arms are long than its thigh:
one thing that spoil the proposed law is speed limit without any radar to determine the rate
it is like open shop for all the touts in uniform who can at any time accuse anybody of over speeding
on the other hand it is good to checkmate the HE &SHE Goat in human body
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by oge4real(f): 5:08pm On Jun 23, 2008
I think the Lagos state Govt is just waking up to their responsibility at last. the unfortunate thing is that it seems they woke up on the wrong side of the bed angry
How do expect an Okada rider to pay such ridiculuos amount?
Why would they even punish a passenger at all?
I seriuosly think they should go back to bed,may be they will wake up on a better side of the bed this time tongue
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by jintujinta(m): 5:50pm On Jun 24, 2008
fotodaddy:

ol boy, you are missing the point. The aim of the fine is not for people to pay it na!!! This is not revenue generation na!!!

The aim is for it to act as a deterent!!! So if you know that the concequencies are so severe, then perhaps that will make you think twice about breaking the law!!!

But since the law have you heard of any arrest? You see some things will just be too outrageous that people wont believe it. Even the law enforcement agent, am sure, are finding the law to be ridiculous. It's got to be realistic to be workable.

Don't you think that it would have sounded more realistic if N50k had been the penalty instead of N250 k?
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by hope2007(f): 6:24pm On Jun 25, 2008
what about the police and govt officials that drive at break neck speed does these fines affect them? They are not going anywhere important but they want everybody to leave the road for them angry angry angry
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Gamine(f): 9:37pm On Jun 25, 2008
Dont mind them, collecting 20,000 because of one-way street violation, Madness!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 25, 2008
Honestly, it's meant to be a deterrent!

Instead of griping about how unfair the fine is, why not spend more time staying within the law?
Then, you won't get stung by "unreasonable" fines!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Gamine(f): 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2008
Well, if they put well-placed signs for people to know
instead of sitting in one rickety police van
We would do what is right.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 26, 2008
Gamine, I agree about visible signs, but come on!

Most things are common sense.
Why would one decide to drive against oncoming traffic, unless he / she has a death wish?
There are lots of motoring offences that don't need road signs to tell they're wrong!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 9:13am On Jun 26, 2008
Siena:

Honestly, it's meant to be a deterrent!

Instead of griping about how unfair the fine is, why not spend more time staying within the law?
Then, you won't get stung by "unreasonable" fines!

Hear hear !!!

And then again, if you get 2 head, make you drive one way!!!. How you feel about the fine will not mean a thing!!! And anyway you look at it, (Lastma or no, Police or not) you'd end up wishing you didnt. grin
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Gamine(f): 2:23pm On Jun 26, 2008
come on pple, we all have common sense im sure. But im speakin from an experience with streets esp those on the Island. Anyways i do admit that dat we go wrong smtyms like takin unauthorisd u-turns which warrant a ticket fine of 2000. D lastma guy threatns u with 7500, u get off wit a bribe of 1000. Overall the system is messed up
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 2:42pm On Jun 26, 2008
Gamine:

come on people, we all have common sense im sure. But im speakin from an experience with streets esp those on the Island. Anyways i do admit that that we go wrong smtyms like takin unauthorisd u-turns which warrant a ticket fine of 2000. D lastma guy threatns u with 7500, u get off wit a bribe of 1000. Overall the system is messed up

Gamine, I tot you were a christian and here you are admitting to giving bribes and corrupting govt officials. Shame shame on you angry
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by ideycraze1: 2:46pm On Jun 26, 2008
the person that flouts traffic laws deliberately is a fool and must have his head examined - death penalty is better - how can anyone in his right sense drive one way against traffic?

The charges are ridiculously too low for a mad person who sees a one way sign and still drive there. Why is the white man better than a black man? A white man will never flout traffic rules - but come to Nigeria - they do it with impunity.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Gamine(f): 3:31pm On Jun 26, 2008
i didnt say I did, Fotodaddy.

i just gave a typical scenario
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 3:44pm On Jun 26, 2008
Gamine:

i didnt say I did, Fotodaddy.

i just gave a typical scenario

Gamine, I tot you said you were an engineer but you come dey show color like english teacher. Abi you be lawyer?? grin

idey_craze:

the person that flouts traffic laws deliberately is a fool and must have his head examined - death penalty is better - how can anyone in his right sense drive one way against traffic?

The charges are ridiculously too low for a mad person who sees a one way sign and still drive there. Why is the white man better than a black man? A white man will never flout traffic rules - but come to Nigeria - they do it with impunity.

Idey_craze, you don really show say you escape from Yaba. If not how manage you dey postulate say make them make death penalty for this kind offence. Then if person commit murder wetin him punishment go be. Ah ha even if persin dey craze, make e craze small small na grin grin
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Gamine(f): 3:54pm On Jun 26, 2008
As a man thinketh so he is. I can be anything, Fotodaddy.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 4:07pm On Jun 26, 2008
Gamine:

As a man thinketh so he is. I can be anything, Fotodaddy.

including 'winch' tongue

This doesnt sound original, where are you quoting from??
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Gamine(f): 5:04pm On Jun 26, 2008
I quote d greatest book in the world! I dont think im a Winch, so i cnt be!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 5:08pm On Jun 26, 2008
Gamine:

I quote d greatest book in the world! I don't think im a Winch, so i cnt be!

I no dey your mind so we have to take your word for it.

Which book is the greatest book. This one reach to start thread and cause world war. Infact I go go do am now
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Hero(m): 3:15pm On Jul 10, 2008
Drive down a major urban street in the wrong direction here in most US cities, and the Police will take your car from you and the DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) will take your driving license from you, and force you to go to a driving school course and you'll still have to wait months before getting your license back. All that is on top of a good $2,000 fine at the least. For a city like lagos in which has outlandish driving habits, I think this is a good law.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 3:41pm On Jul 10, 2008
Hero:

Drive down a major urban street in the wrong direction here in most US cities, and the Police will take your car from you and the DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) will take your driving license from you, and force you to go to a driving school course and you'll still have to wait months before getting your license back. All that is on top of a good $2,000 fine at the least. For a city like lagos in which has outlandish driving habits, I think this is a good law.

Bros Hero, does it mean that our own is even cheaper wink wink

Fashola, abeg review upward ooo!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 10, 2008
Hero:

Spot on.
Lawlessness doesn't pay, even when ignorance is pleaded.

fotodaddy:

Bros Hero, does it mean that our own is even cheaper wink wink

Fashola, abeg review upward ooo!!!! grin grin grin

I'm with you on that one!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by komekn(m): 7:08pm On Jul 10, 2008
Is it possible to be lawful in lawless society? tongue
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by komekn(m): 7:41pm On Jul 10, 2008
Is it possible to be lawful in a lawless society?

The standard of the reasonable man; is it reasonable to wait in traffic for three hours when you can do a U turn and go the otherway and I don't mean against the flow of traffic ?

I have been in traffic obeying the lights and all that in Lagos only to get bumped, the reality is that the infrastructure is mashed up the delivery personal are not interested.(lasma, police, etc)

What do you do, obey the Law, so when armed robbers are shooting up the street I guess you should wait and obey the law.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2008
komekn:

Is it possible to be lawful in a lawless society?

The standard of the reasonable man; is it reasonable to wait in traffic for three hours when you can do a You turn and go the otherway and I don't mean against the flow of traffic ?

I have been in traffic obeying the lights and all that in Lagos only to get bumped, the reality is that the infrastructure is mashed up the delivery personal are not interested.(lasma, police, etc)

What do you do, obey the Law, so when armed robbers are shooting up the street I guess you should wait and obey the law.

Like I said before, you are free to break the law, but at your own risk. Make you no come cry here say them ask you to pay fine ooo!!! And if I dey there when them catch you I go tell them say you dey very stubborn and make them take 200K engunje instead of you're paying 250K grin grin
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 10, 2008
@ Komekn: How many of those drivers, that choose to drive against traffic, are on the run from armed robbers?
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Hero(m): 12:08am On Jul 11, 2008
Siena:

@ Komekn: How many of those drivers, that choose to drive against traffic, are on the run from armed robbers?

cheesy Good question.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fotodaddy: 9:15am On Jul 11, 2008
Siena:

Hear hear!! Some times I dey wonder how human being dey think sef
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by komekn(m): 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2008
Thats a good question Sienna, very few indeed, but in my experience the main culprits are actually security personnel Army, Navy, Police, NAF, etc and add to that conceited government officials.

I was driving to Opebi Rd from Oregun, just at the beginning of the bridge I could see the traffic build up and I decided to do a U turn and find another route; no oncoming traffic , no signs saying u turn not allowed, as I turned police and LASMA jumped out to apprehend me for a supposed breach of traffic law Wahala, but No Shakin, God deh my side.

I have been in the UK for ages and I have not been caught by a speed camera once have in excess of 10 years no claims bonus, (not my strength or cunning, Gods great grace) what I am saying is I love to obey the law if i no what it is and where it is.

In Nigeria there are issues of illiteracy ( no fit read road sign, who pass test for Niaja, etc) The reality is that there is a large segment of drivers who are just plain lawless and might i suggest bordering on the INSANE in uniform and out of uniform, civilian or military.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by dustydee: 9:12am On Jul 12, 2008
if u think it's too high then dont drive against traffic-period!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Driving Schools In Lagos: Someone Help Me Out Pls / How Can One Use The Tiptronic Gear Transmission?? / 5 Major Reason Why It's Difficult To Rotate A Steering Wheel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.