Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,680 members, 7,809,575 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

Zik’s Son Cant Sleep In His Father’s House Because Its In Ruins - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zik’s Son Cant Sleep In His Father’s House Because Its In Ruins (1444 Views)

Aba: A City In Ruins / Tafawa Balewa's Lagos Office In Ruins / Zik's Final Resting Place In Ruins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Zik’s Son Cant Sleep In His Father’s House Because Its In Ruins by oilsuop: 6:54am On Aug 26, 2013
Azikiwe has been the Owelle of Onitsha since the demise of his father, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Nigeria’s first president, popularly called the Zik of Africa. He is the first son of the late Owelle.

How have the children of the late nationalist and political icon fared over the years? What are their ambitions; and what do they think about politics in Nigeria today, especially when compared with how it was played during their father’s era?
Speaking with Sunday Trust in his Onitsha residence on August 10, the highly humble and diplomatic Owelle went traditional, using the kolanut as a medium, he prayed for the security, peace and unity of Nigeria, good health of his family, and that of his guest.

“By the grace of God we will live a healthy life. And God will grant us old age; we will be buried by our children. May we never bury our children,” he prayed.

After the prayers he spoke on who-is-who in Nigerian politics, including President Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan and the significance of the name, Azikiwe for the president; former Minister of Defence, General Theophillus Yakubu Danjuma (retd); former Vice President Alex Ekwueme; why Zik joined the Nigeria Peoples Party (NPP); the Enugu State governor, Sullivan Chime and his predecessor, Dr. Chimaroke Nnamani; Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State and his style of administration; Ebonyi State governor, Chief Martin Elechi and his Imo State counterpart, Chief Rochas Okorocha and his political “movements.”

He also spoke on the January 15, 1966 military coup, led by Major Chukwuma Patrick Kaduna Nzeogwu; the late Biafran leader, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu; late novelist, Chinua Achebe and his last book, “There Was a Country.”
Owelle Chukwuma Azikiwe further recounted the role he played during the Nigeria-Biafra war and the great errands he ran for his late father. He said his father was betrayed by some of those he trusted.

He remembered when members of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) went wild and burnt his father’s house.

He also spoke on the coup that brought in former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida. While commenting on General Muhammadu Buhari’s presidential ambition, he spoke on the 2015 general elections and the Igbo quest for presidency.

Azikiwe also spoke on journalism practice in Nigeria today and what obtained when he was the managing director of Zik’s West African Pilot. He also commented on people’s misconception of his drinking and smoking habit, explaining that, contrary to the belief in some quarters, he drinks sparingly. He discussed many more issues elaborately.
Leading our reporter round his father’s compound he condemned the action of MASSOB. “Look at that storey building in ruins; it was burnt by MASSOB members,” he explained.

He remembered that in 2005, some members of the pro-Biafra group had a terrible clash with the police in Onitsha, saying, “The fierce confrontation forced the police to run for their dear lives. When the pressure from MASSOB members became unbearable, the police scaled the fence of Zik’s premises, and sought refuse inside the compound.’’

He explained that MASSOB members were angry that their target, the police escaped into Zik’s compound, and subsequently became more violent, throwing stones and any object they could lay their hands on. “I was inside when the problem started but I didn’t actually realise the magnitude until I went upstairs from where I viewed the situation on ground.

“At that time the MASSOB people had set the building ablaze. They were about setting this one, the main building on fire when they sighted me. One of them recognised me as Owelle, Zik’s son, insisting that I and my father were nice men, so they should not harm me. It was at that point that they dropped their weapons and retreated.

“If I were not at home that particular day, the MASSOB people would have burnt down all the buildings here,” he recalled.
He continued, “Some suggested that I lock the gate to prevent people, especially policemen from taking refuge inside the compound. But I said no, insisting that I would not allow people to be killed in front of my father’s compound. It would be an abomination. Can you imagine the front of my father’s compound being littered with corpses? So I said nobody should lock the gate. My presence that day saved the situation from taking a more dangerous dimension.

“As you can see, the evidence of the MASSOB attack is still on the compound. Almost all the glass doors and windows in the main building were shattered.’’

Sunday Trust also observed the extent of neglect and rot in the compound since the demise of Zik of Africa.
The swimming pool, which has suffered from years of negligence, was filled with muddy water and covered with greenish ‘shrubs.’

Nobody is sure that it does not habour dangerous reptiles and other creatures. A section of the fence that collapsed is yet to be fixed. The main one-storey building itself is in ruins, with the badly-torn curtains hanging loose on the windows and door frames. The red rugs were quite unimpressive. The paintings were all peeling off the walls. There was nothing appealing about the house in terms of aesthetics. The current state of Dr. Azikiwe’s country home is a classical example of what decades of neglect could do to any beautiful edifice.

“This main building is sinking. That is why I don’t sleep inside it. Building experts suggested that the best thing is to knock down this building and erect a brand new one. But instead of doing what the experts said, they would come and put pillars here and there, thinking that would solve the problem. The foundation can no longer carry the weight of the house. For now, I only stay in the main building to receive visitors,’’ he disclosed.

“I sleep in this bungalow often,” the Owelle said, pointing at a newly painted house located in the direction of the swimming pool.

He, however, said that what he disclosed was not for publication, adding that he would grant an interview for publication at a later date.
Azikiwe said, “You know we are just discussing like friends. And you are not to record what I am saying. When we are ready for the main interview and the issues that brought you here, you will be allowed to use your recorder and take notes.”

Important questions on the lips of concerned Nigerians are: What happened to Zik’s library? Is this the real Onuiyi Haven, as Zik’s compound was popularly called? Why has the place been so badly neglected? Who is to take care of the premises - Zik’s children, state or the federal government? Shouldn’t Zik’s house serve as a national monument where children could be taken to during holidays? Shouldn’t it also serve as a resource centre for scholars and researchers? Is the present unsightly state of Zik’s premises not a national shame? Or is the current state of Zik’s country home not a lesson for Nigerian public office holders who try to acquire massive wealth for themselves, their children and children’s children?

http://sundaytrust.com.ng/index.php/feature/14160-why-zik-s-son-can-t-sleep-in-his-late-father-s-house
Re: Zik’s Son Cant Sleep In His Father’s House Because Its In Ruins by nnanyereugo(m): 7:10am On Aug 26, 2013
Great Zik of Africa, wat a pity.
Re: Zik’s Son Cant Sleep In His Father’s House Because Its In Ruins by princesammmy: 8:24am On Aug 26, 2013
who is to be blame? And i thought this man says d interview should be off record? So whats it doing here?

(1) (Reply)

Senator Ahmed Yerima In Yet Another Controversy / BREAKING NEWS: Governors Of Niger, Jigawa Not Part Of Merger With APC / Apc's Tribute To Murtala Nyako

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.