Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Ese Walter COZA Sex Scandal: Does The Bible Tell Christians To Judge Not? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ese Walter COZA Sex Scandal: Does The Bible Tell Christians To Judge Not? (650 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Ese Walter Who Claims To Have Slept With COZA Pastor Abiodun / Pastor Biodun/Coza Replies Ese Walter's Sex Scandal Accusation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ese Walter COZA Sex Scandal: Does The Bible Tell Christians To Judge Not? by Ayekooto2013: 8:09pm On Aug 26, 2013
In Nigeria today, the scripture in Matthew 7:1, "Judge not that ye be not judged." is used many times when questions are asked of certain believers regarding their conducts. Ever since the Ese Walter story broke, I have read many posts where people quoted this scripture as a reason to stay silent on the issue. But does the verse really meant we should keep quiet when there are question marks on people's actions and behaviors?
Let us see some other scriptures in the bible that say something about judging others:

"Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he (Jesus) said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged." (Luke 7:43)
"Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment." (John 7:24)
"Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters?" (1 Cor 6:2)
"But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged [/b]by no one" (1 Cor 2:15)
"The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment." (Psa 37:30)
"Moreover the word of the Lord came to me, saying, [b]“Now, son of man, will you judge, will you judge the bloody city?Yes, show her all her abominations!"
(Ezek 22:2)

With all the above scriptures and many similar ones not quoted, where then do people get the idea that we are not to judge?

The answer is in the same scripture in Matthew 7 when put in its proper context. To get the context, you need to read the verses that follow.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

These verses do not tell us not to judge, rather it is a warning that if you judge, you must judge rightly and in a matter you are not presently guilty of yourself or rather not judge at all.

Can we then judge rightly? Yes we can (see 1 Cor 6:2,1 Cor 2:15, etc quoted above). But he that judges must first ensure he is not presently guilty of the same thing he judges others on. For instance, an adulterer is not in a good position to judge another adulterer, knowing fully well that he would be judged with the same measure. If he does, he is an hypocrite. Matthew 7:5 also implies that you can rightly judge others once you remove the beam in your own eyes.

However, there are areas where the scripture expects us to judge and there are areas we are asked to refrain from passing judgment. But here is not the place to discuss all that. Bottom-line is, any judgement we make must be in line with the word of God and its motivation should be deeply rooted in love and righteousness.

Should we not judge at all as some portrays it nowadays? No.

God said, "When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself" (Ezekiel 3:18-19)

He also commended the Church of Ephesus for judging false apostles as false: "I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false" (Revelation 2:2)

Not judging between what is right and what is wrong when you are in position to do so is buying into the world's standard of tolerance. But the scripture tells us "...we ought to obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29)

In summary, righteous judgement is godly and redemptive, unrighteous judgment is evil and destructive.

(1) (Reply)

The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria / 2013 National Praise And Thanksgiving Service / Jesus's Record! Can You Beat It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.