Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? (2109 Views)

Husbands Who Demand Their Wives Submit Their Salaries To Them / Is It Advisable For Couples To Watch Sex Videos To Improve Their Sex Lives? / Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by 2ndChance: 8:14pm On Aug 26, 2013
I overheard a female colleague of mine the other day telling a female friend of hers never to disclose her salary to her husband under any circumstances. Her reason was that the man could go "jealous" whenever she needed to send money across to her own relatives. This argument has somewhat gotten me confused especially going by the biblical injunction of husband and wife being one, and I seek honest opinions here on how issues about salary disclosure are best handled among couples.
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by deols(f): 1:55pm On Aug 27, 2013
Interested
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 27, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by jaybee3(m): 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2013
If you trust your man/woman and the love between the two is genuine then surely there is absolutely no reason to start hiding things

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by RoyalRoy(m): 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover:

That your female colleague married the wrong man, and she mistakenly thought that all men/marriages are like that.

If she had married the right man, it is the man who will even be reminding her to "not to forget to let US send money to aunty lagbaja o!"

It is in your own best interest not to listen to people like that wink

As if there is not enough war in Syria, some people bring unnecessary fights into their homes. . . meanwhile that kind of colleague will be the type that snoops on her husbands statements and payslips to see how much he is earning. A case of do as I say, but dont do as as I do lipsrsealed

Your husband is definitely a blessed man!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 27, 2013
What's with RR and these fugly blue smilies grin
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 27, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
jay bee: If you trust your man/woman and the love between the two is genuine then surely there is absolutely no reason to start hiding things

I agree...
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by deols(f): 3:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
So, are they supposed to sit with each other and say, you know, I earn ...

Or for one to ask, how.much do you earn?

Or is it just ok for the two of them to just not snoop around nor be hiding.

I believe most couples dont know each other's financial worth in specific terms.
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by greatgod2012(f): 3:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
I really dont know why people like to use other peoples marriage to judge theirs.
So many advices given by some people are what they can never do and they will advise some other people to do them.
Marriage calls for wisdom and initiative, honesty and trust, tolerance and compromise. Two people who can not trust and not ready to learn how to trust each other are not even suppose to come together as a couple in the first instance and under a normal situation.

"And the two shall become one", says the bible, if only we all understand this statement as far as marriage is concerned, there wont be reasons for this type of question.
May God help all couples.

But there is an exception.........
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 27, 2013

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover:

Ha! he is committing bribery and corruption ni

He wants to bamboozle me into retracting what I said about him in one thread where they were toasting kulyie for him . . I ive told him, I am not retracting anything until I get a credit alert from my bank grin grin

grin grin
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:57pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover: It depends on the job you do. If you are a daily paid biz man/woman then your partner may not know the exact amount of money you made today, but they will have a fair idea of what you earn from your biz each month/quarter.

If you are an employee with a payslip, then yes its very easy to know how much your partner earns. its even easier if you have a joint account where salaries are paid into.

meanwhile this hiding of "salary" is not always beneficial. . . if you are married to a good woman it can actually work to your advantage, because the woman actually knows how much you do have and therefore she knows where she can come in to help where need be without you even having to ask.

Each to their own . . .obviously it works for the colleague, but she should not assume that everyone should be like her.

I agree...but I don't know about the joint account part o. lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by RoyalRoy(m): 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover:

Ha! he is committing bribery and corruption ni

He wants to bamboozle me into retracting what I said about him in one thread where they were toasting kulyie for him . . I ive told him, I am not retracting anything until I get a credit alert from my bank grin grin

Hehehe.....Aunty.....e no good o!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

At topic....I will still maintain that each individual spouse is different from one another!!
You know the kind of wife/husband you married....if he/she is worth it....then feel free to share ur bank statement!
But in situations where things go down south & the husband starts using it as a weapon, denying wife of funds because she wants to send it to her family members.

I just think I will really just want to have an idea of what my wife earns, she has an [b]idea [/b]of what I earn too & we sit together, plan our budget per month & commit some agreed percentage into a joint account to run the family!!

Let each person spend his/her remaining fund for private issues....and of course you should be responsible in ur finances as a married man/woman anyway!!
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by RoyalRoy(m): 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2013
jidegirl12: What's with RR and these fugly blue smilies grin

You want one too? Its all yours!!

Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 27, 2013
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by RoyalRoy(m): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover:

HA!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going to report you to Kulyie

Don't worry....the twins charm will "fight" for me!!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by RoyalRoy(m): 4:27pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover:

How do we even know that you are a twin sef. For all we know it could be a toasting line. Kulyie shine your eyes o! no enter royonechance o! i don talk my own . . . I dont want to see a thread saying "roy the singleton duped me" cheesy grin

I laugh in Urhobo!!!!!

She got her confirmation here already

www.nairaland.com/1358610/whats-special-twins

Don't know how she let "them" drive a 100ft train in between us now!!
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover:

That your female colleague married the wrong man, and she mistakenly thought that all men/marriages are like that.

If she had married the right man, it is the man who will even be reminding her to "not to forget to let US send money to aunty lagbaja o!"

It is in your own best interest not to listen to people like that wink

As if there is not enough war in Syria, some people bring unnecessary fights into their homes. . . meanwhile that kind of colleague will be the type that snoops on her husbands statements and payslips to see how much he is earning. A case of do as I say, but dont do as as I do lipsrsealed

That answers the question. I just wonder why people will go into marriage with sooo much negative thoughts. My husband will be jealous, he will be this, he will be that. If people are this worried then why get married. And as you rightly said, people will tell you things they themselves will never do.
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by 2ndChance: 11:07am On Aug 29, 2013
Well, I am still at a loss here. What formula works best in the majotiry of cases? Does it mean that the husbanb-and-wife-becoming-one mantrah has its limitations or boundaries?
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Osama10(m): 3:54am On Sep 01, 2013
If you can't trust your spouse, why did you even marry in the first place.

My wife knows how much I earn & we have joint accounts together, the only personal account I have is a salary account & she has the ATM to it.
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by 2ndChance: 7:49am On Sep 03, 2013
Osama10: If you can't trust your spouse, why did you even marry in the first place.

Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 03, 2013
Royal Roy:

Your husband is definitely a blessed man!!

Royal Roy, stop stealing my gifs angry. Go find yours jor.

Which thread I dey sef undecided
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 03, 2013
Ok, It depends on the kind of husband you married. If your husband is not responsible, by all means hide the thing well well. Destroy all pays lips and deposit forms..all investment papers should be far hidden in your safe deposit box cool
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by Freshprincess(f): 9:06pm On Sep 06, 2013
I dn't see any reasn y couples shuld hide deir financial status 4rm each oda. At least dy re married and dy re nw 1. 4 cryng out loud, wen dy hide dis aw do dey intend 2 build d financial capacity of d family.
Re: Is It Right For Couples To Hide Their Salaries From Each Other? by LewsTherin: 6:34pm On Sep 07, 2013
Couples have good reason to hide their financials from each other. It's the same reason they hide the true story if their lives from each other. It's the same reason they hide their true character from each other. It's because someone bamboozled the other into marrying them!

Some deep deep thinker once said "the quicker to harm, the quicker to expect harm" so seeing as they know how much in lies and deceit they have invested in their relationships, they expect that they are being treated the same.

My wife knows exactly how much we both earn, and exactly how much lies in every bank account. And as such, we know how much we have for every need. That way she doesn't wake up in the morning and make some blasted request for something she knows full well there are no funds for. It also makes her a great manager of the resources we have.

As for sending money to family, that is a given. We know how much we send monthly and when there are special needs, we know what we can send. And guess what, life's good. grin

(1) (Reply)

:'( What Is This World Turning To!!!!! :'( :'( / This Lady Has No Womb Nor Cervix / Being Childfree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.