Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) (1766 Views)

Did Jesus Die for Our Sin? Which Sin? Ifeann Should Please Come In / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "I And The Father Are One" In John 10:30? / Did Jesus Preexist His Birth - Honeychild, Bookmark And Ijawkid Let's Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by damilarelr(m): 6:55am On Aug 27, 2013
Do you remember the story of the 'adulterous' woman who was brought to Jesus by the Pharisees in order to see how He would judge her?

'....Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the VERY act'!!! (John 8:4)

Hmm....the Pharisees must have thought that mentioning the fact that this woman was caught in the VERY ACT of adultery...would intensify the punishment Jesus would declare over this woman. Lol...

This group of unbelievers were so subtle. See what they said in the next verse!

'Now Moses in the LAW commanded us, that such should be stoned:...but WHAT SAYEST THOU'? (vs 5)

Now listen carefully: The Pharisees knew that Jesus NEVER condemns a sinner! That was why they brought this woman to Jesus! They knew He would DEFINITELY justify the sinner! Hmm...in case you are not getting what I'm saying yet, then see the next verse:

'This they said TEMPTING Him, that they might have to ACCUSE Him'! (vs 6)

Did you see that? They thought they had gotten the perfect opportunity to ACCUSE Jesus! They knew Jesus would never dispense punishment on a sinner! NO! NO! NO! He came to die for SINNERS!

It is a FOOLISH move for the devil to throw you at the feet of Jesus for the punishment of your sins! Hmm...

It is also a WISE move for you to throw yourself at the feet of Jesus when sin is attacking your destiny!

Listen: Jesus DEALS with sin...and not the sinner!!!

If you can understand what I just wrote above, then you will begin to live a supernatural life above your sinful addictions! PANADOL deals with Headache ....and not with the person carrying the Headache! Do you get that?

The Bible says: '...where SIN abounds, ....GRACE much more abounds'! (Romans 5:20)

Do you know what that means? it simply means SIN does not have the ability to swallow up the GRACE of God in the life of a believer!!!

Yes, you heard me right! God's Grace is GREATER than ALL yours sins! Take note of the words...'Much more'....in Romans 5:20.

'Where sin abounds....Grace MUCH MORE abounds'! (Romans 5:20)

To enhance your understanding of the above verse, let me paraphrase it:

'For where sin ARITHMETICALLY abounds,....Grace GEOMETRICALLY abounds'!

Sin does NOT swallow up God's Grace in the life of a believer! Instead, it is God's Grace that swallows up sin in the life of a believer!

The magicians serpent(s) cannot swallow Moses' serpent! No matter how many serpents the magicians threw to the ground....MOSES ROD (grace) super-swallows the RODS (sin) of the magicians!

Jesus is not the JUDGE of believers! This is where many believers miss it. They think that Jesus has withdrawn His salvation from them because they committed a particular sin! That is why the devil converted that sin into an addiction! Because instead of them seeing Jesus as a SAVIOUR....they see Jesus as a JUDGE! (Heb 9:28)

Let's go on with our topic (as I'm getting excitedly distracted to teach on sin vs Grace)! Now let's see Jesus' first reaction to what the Pharisees said:

'....but Jesus stooped down, and WITH HIS FINGER WROTE ON THE GROUND...'! (vs 6)

Wow! Now this is what we want to discover! What did Jesus write on the GROUND!

Hmm...do you want to know what Jesus wrote on the ground?

Then STAY TUNED for the next post...as we unravel a mystery that will loose you from the shackles of sinful addictions and desires the remaining days of your life!
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by Enosa1(m): 7:29am On Aug 27, 2013
bring it on
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by damilarelr(m): 1:11pm On Aug 31, 2013
After the Pharisees brought the 'adulterous woman' to Jesus, they said;

'Now Moses in the LAW commanded us, that such should stoned:....but WHAT SAYEST THOU'? (John 8:5)

The Pharisees were all out to get Jesus. They also had a powerful tool with which they planned to get Jesus! The tool is called the LAW! Hmm....Take note of their statement:

'Now Moses in the LAW commanded us....'

I will like you to follow very carefully at this juncture! They brought the LAW to Jesus as a means of accusing Him and also stoning the woman!

But what was Jesus' reaction to the subtle accusation of the Pharisees?

'...but Jesus stooped down...and WITH HIS FINGER WROTE ON THE GROUND...' (vs 6)

Now many people have speculated that Jesus was 'meditating' on what answer He was to give to the Pharisees! Hmm....I DON'T think so!

Jesus could not have been taken by surprise! He could not have been bothered about the answer to give to the Pharisees!!! NO!

The Bible refers to Jesus as the 'WISDOM OF GOD'! (1cor 1:24). How can the WISDOM OF GOD be trying to figure out what He will answer to a group of unbelievers!

In fact, the Bible has a wonderful comment about Jesus when He was once faced with an 'tough' situation:

'...for He Himself KNEW WHAT HE WOULD DO'! (John 6:6)

Jesus is 'ALL-KNOWING'! He is referred to as the...'ONLY WISE GOD'! (Jude 1:25). No situation gets Him unaware! Listen: He was NOT meditating on what answer He would give to the Pharisees! NO!

What then was Jesus writing on the ground?

Hmm...Now let's see that verse again:

Take note of how the Bible puts it: '...WITH HIS FINGER WROTE ON THE GROUND...'

First, may I let you know that the ground mentioned here was the ground of the temple. This temple floor was not a 'sandy' floor. It was paved with stones. According to Albert Barne's commentary of the Bible, the ground here means the PAVEMENT (which indicates that the ground was STONY). Hmm....so we can therefore paraphrase that verse this way: '...WITH HIS FINGER WROTE ON THE STONY GROUND...'! Hmmm....

I'm sure you are wondering where all this will lead to. Lol....just keep following!

Now listen carefully: we must learn to always let Bible interpret Bible. Hmm...don't just conclude on what a verse means by your intellectual ability. Let the Bible interpret Itself.

Jesus only wrote ONCE in the new testament! Hmm... But God also wrote ONCE in the old testament too!

Wow! There must be a link here!!! Let us see how God was described to have written in the Old Testament. Moses said:

'And the Lord delivered unto me two tables of STONE WRITTEN WITH THE FINGER OF GOD...'! (Deut 9:10)

Are you seeing what I am seeing?
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by damilarelr(m): 2:01pm On Aug 31, 2013
We have seen that the Pharisees were actually tempting Jesus by bringing this woman for Him to judge her. They knew He teaches GRACE radically and NEVER condemns a sinner!!! In fact, Jesus moved with sinners so much that the Pharisees gave Him a name I love so much:

'...the FRIEND of publicans and sinners...'!!! (Luke 7:34)

What a name for my loving Saviour! Sinners flowed well with Jesus! What marvels me is that the Bible is so specific to let us know the group of people Jesus was comfortable moving with!

'Then drew near unto Him (Jesus)...all the PUBLICANS and SINNERS...for to hear Him'! (Luke 15:1)

'Many PUBLICANS and SINNERS sat also together with JESUS...'! (Mark 2:15)

The Bible does not always say the MULTITUDES drew unto Jesus. Once in a while, the Holy Spirit is so specific to let us know who this multitudes were! They were the publicans, tax collectors, prostitutes etc!

But a group of unbelievers known as the 'Pharisees' were always uncomfortable with Jesus moving with sinners!!!

'...how is it that He (Jesus) EATETH and DRINKETH with sinners'!!! (Mark 2:16)

Aba! The Jesus I read about in the Bible is just so different from the Jesus I hear many preachers talk about today!

Hmm....Jesus is so 'Holy' that sinners were His companion! They were not only His companion....they all received miracles and healing for free!!! (Mark 6:56)

But you will never find it written anywhere in the Bible that Jesus healed a 'sick' Pharisee!!! For your information; the Pharisees were NOT sinners!!!

One marvelous Truth is that....any sinner that encountered Jesus....never remained a sinner!!! They always wanted to follow Him wherever He goes! (John 6:24)

That is what GRACE does! Effortless evangelism....effortless dominion over sin!
Now the Pharisees made a statement in order to trap Jesus. They said;

'Now Moses in the LAW commanded us, that such should be stoned:....but WHAT SAYEST THOU'? (John 8:5)

The emphasis here is the LAW!!! That was the tool they employed in order to trap Jesus!

The first response of Jesus was this:

In the previous post (part2), we have seen that Jesus wrote on the STONY ground. Now take note of the following words in the verse above: 'FINGER', 'WROTE', 'GROUND' (which means STONE).

Gotten that? Hmmm....now let us see what Jesus wrote on the ground.

In Exodus 31:18, the Bible says God...'Gave unto Moses,...tables of STONE, WRITTEN with the FINGER of God'.

Hmmm.....something must be going on here! What did God give to Moses that was on STONE....and WRITTEN with the FINGER of God?

The answer is the LAW!!!!!!!!!!

The pharisees said to Jesus: 'Now Moses in the LAW commanded us, that such should be stoned:....'! (John 8:5)

In order words, they were using the LAW to threaten Jesus and also boasting about Moses as their prophet! Jesus therefore stooped down and with His FINGER wrote the LAW!!!

Hmmm....By this action, Jesus was actually saying:

'I WROTE this LAW that you brought to threaten Me'!!! Hmmm...I was the One who even gave it to the Moses you are boasting about!!! Hmmm....

After He wrote on the ground, He lifted up Himself and said unto the Pharisees:

'...He that is without sin among you, let Him first cast a stone at her'!!! (John 8:7)

Wow!!! Do you know what that implies! Jesus was actually saying:

'Anyone of you who has not broken at least ONE of all that I just wrote on the ground....cast the first stone at her'!!!

Hmmm....I love the way James 2:10 helps to interpret this matter!

'For whosoever shall keep the WHOLE LAW...and yet offend in ONE point...he is GUILTY OF ALL!!!

Did you see that! Jesus was simply saying that ....anyone of them that can stand boldly not to have offended in at least ONE point....should throw the first stone!

Funnily, none of them had fulfilled all Jesus wrote on the ground!

Listen: after God gave Moses the tables of STONE, the Israelites were already breaking the first Law even before the Law arrived!!! They made a god in the form of a golden calf! And the first Law says....thou shall have no other gods before me! (Exo 20:3). Hmmm...

You don't know what you have signed for when you agree to be under LAW! You will keep breaking the LAW unconsciously and uncontrollably!

Paul once thought being under Law was the solution to his sinful habits. Hmm.... Little did he know that he has signed for an EXCEEDINGLY SINFUL lifestyle! (Rom 7:13)

Hmm....

Moses had to scatter the stone on the ground and went up to collect another tables of STONE written by GOD! (Exo 34:1)

Now follow carefully: After Jesus said: '...He that is without sin among you, let Him first cast a stone at her'...the next verse says

'And again He stooped down, and wrote on the GROUND'! (John 8:cool

So Jesus wrote on the ground twice just as God gave the Law twice! Can you see that Jesus was actually writing the LAW?

But there is something very significant about Jesus stooping down the second time to write on the Ground!

Hmmm....stay tuned for the concluding part of this interesting story as you will see how the 'second' writing of Jesus on the ground introduced GRACE into the matter which super-naturally destroyed the yoke of sexual immorality in the life of this 'adulterous' woman!!!
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by damilarelr(m): 7:44pm On Sep 02, 2013
Now we have seen that when Jesus stooped down to WRITE on the GROUND with His FINGER, He was actually writing the LAW.....which God WROTE for Moses on the STONE with His FINGER! (John 8:6, deut 9:10)

Now after Jesus wrote on the ground and said to the Pharisees;

'...he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.' (John 8:7)

The Bible reveals something very interesting about the reaction of the Pharisee.

'And they which heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one...' (John 8:9)

Hmm...! These are the very people who furiously brought this woman to Jesus with an intention to stone her to death. Now Jesus wrote the LAW on the ground and asked that only he who has perfectly fulfilled all He just wrote on the ground, should cast the first stone! But NONE of them could boast of perfectly keeping ALL the Law!

Hmm....what marvels me most is that the Bible was so detailed to show us the ORDER with which they were convicted of sin! Hmm...let's look at vs 9 carefully:

'And they which heard it, being CONVICTED by their conscience, went out one by one.....BEGINNING AT THE ELDEST, even unto the Last....!' (John 8:9)

Lol...! Did you see that! The conviction of sin started from the ELDEST of the 'righteous pharisee'! The deeper they went into LAW.....the deeper they went into sin!!!

Many believers think it is being under law that guarantees a righteous life! Oh....what a deception!

Now listen carefully: the Law was not given as a standard by which we would be SANCTIFIED!!! Hmm....neither was the Law given as standard by which God would be SATISFIED!!! Hmm...

Why then was the Law given!!!

You would be really surprised to know why the Law was given!!!

Listen carefully: the Law was given so '....that every mouth may be STOPPED, and all the world may become GUILTY before God'! (Romans 3:19)

Ah! Did you see that! I did not frame up those words. Open your Bible and you will see those words verbatim!

The Law was given to make men GUILTY before God! This is because in the book of exodus 19....man presumed on his ability to fulfil the Law in the power of the flesh! (If you really want to learn more on this.....then start planning to be at the GOSPEL OF GRACE conference 2013).

That was why even the chief Pharisees were the first to be GUILTY when Jesus presented the Law to them!

See, the Law was given to teach you that you can NEVER be perfect by your ability!!!

Hmmm....the Law was given to expose the sinful weaknesses HIDDEN in your flesh! (Rom 7:7-9)

In fact, I really love the way the Scriptures explain this in the book of Galatians:

'Wherefore the Law was our SCHOOLMASTER to bring us to Christ...that we might be justified by Faith'! (Gal 3:24)

Wow! The law was given to be our SCHOOLMASTER! Do you know what that means? The law was given to TEACH us that we need a SAVIOUR!!! Hmm....now listen; after you have believed in this Saviour....you NO LONGER need the SCHOOLMASTER!

Aba! Dami! Why would you say that?

I'm not the one who said so! Read the next verse!

'But after that FAITH has come,...we are NO LONGER under a SCHOOLMASTER'! (Gal 3:25)

Hmm....funnily, many believers today are still under this SCHOOLMASTER...thinking that is the way to please God!

I'm really getting too excited to teach on the PURPOSE of the Law vs the POWER of Grace! The conference will take care of that!

Now let's see what happened to the woman after Jesus wrote on the Ground the second time. Note that after God gave the Law to Moses the second time, God asked Moses to keep it UNDER the Mercy Seat!!! (Deut 10:2, exo 26:34)

The condemnation that should have come on this woman has been put under the Mercy Seat! Grace was in action for her. After everyone left, Jesus said to her:

'...woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man CONDEMNED thee? ...she said, no man, LORD...' (John 8:10-11)

Hmm...Now its time for this woman to be EMPOWERED to go and sin no more! See the sequence of Jesus' next words:

'....neither do I CONDEMN thee: Go and sin no more'! (John8:11)
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by damilarelr(m): 7:47pm On Sep 02, 2013
Did you notice anything? Jesus first gave her the gift of NO CONDEMNATION.....before He told her to go and sin no more!

Today, people have it the other way round! They tell people to '...go and sin no more....before assuring them that Jesus will not condemn them'!

When Paul had struggles with sin...(Rom 7:19-25), ...he first received the gift of NO CONDEMNATION...(Rom 8:1)....before he was made free from the LIFESTYLE of sin and death! (Rom 8:2).

Listen: when Jesus told the woman to GO and sin no more.....He was NOT warning her! Hmmm.....He was EMPOWERING her! And this empowerment came by first releasing unto the woman the gift of NO CONDEMNATION!

The Truth is this: It is ABSOLUTELY impossible to live under Grace.....and be dominated by sin!

'For sin shall NOT have dominion over you...for ye are NOT under Law..but ye are under Grace'! (Rom 6:14).

It is only when you are under Grace that sin cannot have dominion over you!

Hmm...I'm sure you have been blessed by these series of teachings on what Jesus wrote on the Ground. Never forget....that no matter the sinful addictions battling your life....the power to sin no more lies in your knowledge that you can never come under CONDEMNATION because of the finished work of Christ for you! Hallelujah!

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by Oyinprince(m): 8:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
following
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by Hypraise(f): 10:04pm On Sep 02, 2013
Thanks n Welldone!
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by Nobody: 12:48am On Sep 03, 2013
What he wrote on the ground was simply daniel 5 vs 25, And this is the writing that was written, MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN.
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by mahdino: 6:41am On Sep 03, 2013
damilarelr: Did you notice anything? Jesus first gave her the gift of NO CONDEMNATION.....before He told her to go and sin no more!

Today, people have it the other way round! They tell people to '...go and sin no more....before assuring them that Jesus will not condemn them'!

When Paul had struggles with sin...(Rom 7:19-25), ...he first received the gift of NO CONDEMNATION...(Rom 8:1)....before he was made free from the LIFESTYLE of sin and death! (Rom 8:2).

Listen: when Jesus told the woman to GO and sin no more.....He was NOT warning her! Hmmm.....He was EMPOWERING her! And this empowerment came by first releasing unto the woman the gift of NO CONDEMNATION!

The Truth is this: It is ABSOLUTELY impossible to live under Grace.....and be dominated by sin!

'For sin shall NOT have dominion over you...for ye are NOT under Law..but ye are under Grace'! (Rom 6:14).

It is only when you are under Grace that sin cannot have dominion over you!

Hmm...I'm sure you have been blessed by these series of teachings on what Jesus wrote on the Ground. Never forget....that no matter the sinful addictions battling your life....the power to sin no more lies in your knowledge that you can never come under CONDEMNATION because of the finished work of Christ for you! Hallelujah!

Sshush, u are just beating. Around the bush, concocting, formulating and propagating a false and man made religion. U don't know what Jesus wrote. Jesus said u should keep The commandments in Matt : 5:17 that is salvation.
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by damilarelr(m): 11:11pm On Sep 03, 2013
mahdino:

Sshush, u are just beating. Around the bush, concocting, formulating and propagating a false and man made religion. U don't know what Jesus wrote. Jesus said u should keep The commandments in Matt : 5:17 that is salvation.

Watch out for my next post..,you will see how decision or swearing to keep commandments can put one into a dangerous position. By the way you could have pass your comment without telling another person to shut up.
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by mahdino: 9:10pm On Sep 04, 2013
damilarelr:

Watch out for my next post..,you will see how decision or swearing to keep commandments can put one into a dangerous position. By the way you could have pass your comment without telling another person to shut up.

Friend, I'm sorry if the words sshush hurt u, I don't mean it, just tried to pull ur attention.
Pls my friend let's be straight, the fact that Jesus said and even emphasize that u should keep the laws and commandments for u to get salvation(Matt:5:17-20), then u have to keep it if u want salvation. Jesus is the master u have To follow him. If u follow Jesus, keep the laws and commandments u will see that Jesus was a muslim.
Re: What Did Jesus Write On The Ground? (part 1) by damilarelr(m): 9:19pm On Sep 04, 2013
Jesus wasn't even a Christian in the first place. Try and distinguish between Christian and a Believer then you'll know we're not talkin religion here. okay?

(1) (Reply)

Stop Celebrating Christmas, It Is Idolatory – Pastor Kumuyi Of Deeper Life Warn / How To Handle Your Sexual Urge / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens (17/12/15) -persistence Brings The Answer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.