Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? (1371 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / Is Christianity True? The Greatest Conspiracy Ever / Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
I am looking at this from the point of view of the purpose of Jesus Christ on earth.

Did Jesus come to create a new religion (Christianity) or to point us back to the father?

Let's look at this please in the light of scriptures, starting from the beginning - God's covenant with the Israelite and as it relates to us today.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Ajibam: 5:18pm On Aug 27, 2013
Tgirl4real: I am looking at this from the point of view of the purpose of Jesus Christ on earth.

Did Jesus come to create a new religion (Christianity) or to point us back to the father?

Let's look at this please in the light of scriptures, starting from the beginning - God's covenant with the Israelite and as it relates to us today.

Thanks.

Firstly
Christianity is a religion,,it is a kind of lifestyle acceptable to God...it means christ like!! A lifestyle like christ...
Secondly
It is not from idolatry,,
Jesus came to repair the fallen bridge,reconciled us back To sin(2corinthians5vs18-19)
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
Thanks for the response mod.. wink
Ajibam:

Firstly
Christianity is a religion,,it is a kind of lifestyle acceptable to God...it means christ like!! A lifestyle like christ...
Secondly
It is not from idolatry,,
Jesus came to repair the fallen bridge,reconciled us back To sin(2corinthians5vs18-19)

did u say to sin? shocked
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Ajibam: 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
Tgirl4real: Thanks for the response mod.. wink

did u say to sin? shocked
Mistake ma..I Mean God
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by JesusisLord85: 11:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
Tgirl4real: I am looking at this from the point of view of the purpose of Jesus Christ on earth.

Thanks.

It is at best, a sincere, but false practice.
This is the prophet Zechariah:

Zechariah 8:18-23
"08 And the word of the Lord of hosts came unto me, saying,

19 Thus saith the Lord of hosts; The fast of the fourth month, and the fast of the fifth, and the fast of the seventh, and the fast of the tenth, shall be to the house of Judah joy and gladness, and cheerful feasts; therefore love the truth and peace.

20 Thus saith the Lord of hosts; It shall yet come to pass, that there shall come people, and the inhabitants of many cities:

21 And the inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, Let us go speedily to pray before the Lord, and to seek the Lord of hosts: I will go also.

22 Yea, many people and strong nations shall come to seek the Lord of hosts in Jerusalem, and to pray before the Lord.

23 Thus saith the Lord of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you."

Does that sound like catholic church? The protestants came over a thousand years later, and theirs was just a sincere, but poor attempt to get back to the truth.

Revelation 2:9 "I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan."

If you worship the most high God, and believe Jesus Christ died for your sins, you follow the religion of the Jews. I didn't call it Judaism because Jew=Descendant of the tribe of Judah (and Benjamin). Only that, many Jews do not believe the prophecy of the Messiah has not been fulfilled. Does that mean they are not Jews?

Faith comes first. But if you say you believe but keep not the commandments of God, then that is futile, as John wrote.

Shalom
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Nobody: 7:06am On Aug 28, 2013
Peter captured in this verse of scripture why a community of believers where called out which today we know as Christianity.

I PETER 2:4 Coming to him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, 5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture, "Behold, I lay in Zion a chief cornerstone, elect, precious, and he who believes on him will by no means be put to shame." 7 Therefore, to you who believe, he is precious; but to those who are disobedient, "The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone," 8 and "a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense." They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed. 9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy. (NKJV)

Paul also captured it here.

ROMANS 9:22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? 25 As He says also in Hosea: "I will call them My people, who were not My people, and her beloved, who was not beloved. 26 And it shall come to pass in the place where it was said to them, 'You are not My people,' there they shall be called sons of the living God." (NKJV)

I CORINTHIANS 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. 5 But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. (NKJV)

Hear the conclusion of Paul concerning Israel as a nation.

ROMANS 11:1 I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel, saying, 3 "LORD, they have killed Your prophets and torn down Your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life"? 4 But what does the divine response say to him? "I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal." 5 Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work. (NKJV)
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by magkhan(f): 8:41am On Aug 28, 2013
Idolatry is the worship of idols.an idol is an image in wood stone etc of a god..such that the image is used as an object of worship...
op,pray,tell me what is the idolatry in Christianity...forgive me for I fail to see the co relation...
Christianity is a way of life...you know 'christ like'
obey the commands of Christ,live as he lived...you are a Christian
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:05am On Aug 28, 2013
@ Bidam,

u didn't address the question or may be I dont get your point.
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 28, 2013
Tgirl4real: @ Bidam,

u didn't address the question or may be I dont get your point.
I did sis,but from a scriptural point of view.I don't want to go deep,but let me explain the scriptures i quoted.

Thanks.
Jesus did not come to create any new religion,he came to point us back to the father.To my understanding they were first called "christian" in Antioch, a derogatory name according to records.But majorly they were called a sect known as "The way".

Like i stated earlier peter captured it in 1 peter 2 why a community of believers were called out.

In 1 Peter 2, Peter uses several metaphors to describe believers.

1. newborn babes, 1 Pet. 2:1

2. living stones forming a spiritual house, 1 Pet. 2:5

3. a priesthood, 1 Pet. 2:5,9

4. a people, 1 Pet. 2:9-10

Now,the question begging for answers here is :Is Peter writing to Jews or Gentiles, or both?

You notice Paul did not mince words about the exact purpose of Christ coming in ROMANS 9:22 and I CORINTHIANS 10:1.

Paul wants us to understand that the salvation of many Gentiles and the unbelief of many Jews should have come as no surprise.

He now turns to the Old Testament to show that far from God’s promises having failed by Gentile faith and Jewish unbelief, His promises are being fulfilled.

For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and all ate the same spiritual food; 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness.

Moses was a type of OT Christ in this instance,as the Children of Israel were baptized into Moses so are we baptized in Christ,But God was not please with them. Why? because they were carnal,if you read further down you will get the meat of the gist.The Corinthians also exhibited similar characteristics like the Israelite even though they were in a better covenant.Paul says, they “happened as examples for us.

Christian freedom was never meant to lead to self indulgence, but to inner self-controls that lead, in turn, to servant-like living that thinks of others above ourselves; serving according to the will of God. You can see Paul drawing the analogy and telling them it is the same God who gave the covenants.God will never be pleased with them if they disobey instruction just like as of old.God has not changed really.So there is nothing new about the religion we call Christianity today.
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2013
Bidam: I did sis,but from a scriptural point of view.I don't want to go deep,but let me explain the scriptures i quoted.

Jesus did not come to create any new religion,he came to point us back to the father.To my understanding they were first called "christian" in Antioch, a derogatory name according to records.But majorly they were called a sect known as "The way".

I think you answered part of my question here.
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by mcfynest(m): 2:10pm On Aug 28, 2013
JESUS DOESNT BELIEVE IN ORGANISED RELIGION AND THAT WAS WHY HE WAS AGAINST ANY FORM OF RELIGION DURING HIS PERIOD. Jesus didnt start christianity, it all started later at antioch. he came to repair the torn veil between us and the father, so that we can get to the father through him.

1 Like

Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
mcfynest: JESUS DOESNT BELIEVE IN RELIGION AND THAT WAS WHY HE WAS AGAINST ANY FORM OF RELIGION DURING HIS PERIOD. Jesus didnt start christianity, it all started later at antioch. he came to repair the torn veil between us and the father, so that we can get to the father through him.

What is religion sir? sad
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by mcfynest(m): 2:50pm On Aug 28, 2013
Tgirl4real:

What is religion sir? sad

i meant organised religion
.Jesus only came to reconcile us to the Father. and that was not a new religion. it has existed before philosophies and other human feelings crept into the religion that God wants from us.
re·li·gion[ri-lij-uhn]- noun1. belief in and worship of a God or other superhuman agency2. particular system of these beliefs.....
so he didnt bring a new religion instead he came to bring us back in union with the father through him.
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for that perfect answer.

So, can you now answer the main question from the post you just made?

Thanks. grin
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by okeyxyz(m): 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2013

Yes!! Jesus came to create a new religion. I know a lot of Christians without thinking like to recite the "Christianity is not a religion but a way of life" mantra. A religion is simply a set of values and practices followed by any group of people in relation to the meaning of life, divinity and Gods. I did not even look at a dictionary to arrive at this definition, but I'm sure I have accurately defined any religion, including atheism. Jesus came to bring in a new set of values and practices, different from the current beliefs(The Laws of Moses) at the time. By his death, he effectively abolished the old and by his resurrection, gave birth to a new religion from the blood of the old.

Thanks.

God's covenant with the Israelites was the legalization of the Laws of Moses into a human administrative system. But this law itself was actually a covenant with the whole of mankind because the Laws was(is) human nature and conscience. The objective and efforts to enforce the law were attempts to attain perfection in our thinking and behaviour. These laws are a shadow of True Christianity, meaning that it follows and maps to True christian values, but ultimately is a misrepresentation of True christianity. So, to those who have been chosen to know know true christianity, they understand that christ's death means the death of the Law and the birth of a new one, and if the old is dead to us, We deliberately refuse to follow it's definitions, values and judgments. We make every effort to find out what the True Christian definitions, values and judgments are and we deliberately follow them.
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:06pm On Aug 28, 2013
hmmm....
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2013
Lol, okey trying to earn points by calling atheism a religion... Make I no derail thread..
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Ajibam: 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2013
musKeeto: Lol, okey trying to earn points by calling atheism a religion... Make I no derail thread..
grin
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by okeyxyz(m): 6:05pm On Aug 28, 2013
musKeeto: Lol, okey trying to earn points by calling atheism a religion... Make I no derail thread..

Ohh! you disagree?? Ok! Just answer me this: Does my earlier definition below cover atheism or not??

...a set of values and practices followed by any group of people in relation to the meaning of life, divinity and Gods.
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 28, 2013
Oh boy, continue in your delusion. Enjoy.
Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by lepasharon(f): 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
Ur not supposed to worship Jesus but God himself.. Deuteronomy says [i]remember the Lord our God is one Lor[/i]d is one Lord It tired of explaining..im tired of Christianity sef undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is Christianity Another Form Of Idolatry? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:44am On Oct 17, 2013
lepasharon: Ur not supposed to worship Jesus but God himself.. Deuteronomy says [i]remember the Lord our God is one Lor[/i]d is one Lord It tired of explaining..im tired of Christianity sef undecided

The focus should be on the father..
hmmm...

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Bible Quiz Training For New Players / Rumors Of Occultic Practices In Rotary Club. True Or False?? / Tetragrammaton (YHWH)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.