Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Is Igbo A Relevant Language? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Igbo A Relevant Language? (6511 Views)

Is Igbo A Wave Of Migrations Or Are They The Same People? / Igbo: A Tribe Or A Nation? / I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ketoprofen(m): 9:38am On Oct 20, 2013
Till u provide any basis for underdevelopment of Igbo lit then forget it and stop exposing ur ignorance biko.
U too, go and read those works your self and tell me eat u think other than asking me to analyse them for u.
it is this laziness on your part that made u not to be aware of their existence in the first place and u came here to brandish Igbo lit is not dev, when u don't even know its depth.

English on its own is also a combination of loan words from Latin, French, Greek, etc.

Igbo language and Igbo lit are seperate entities and I studied them as such.
U are just one of those that can't afford to lose an argument and as such go Mary-Go round just to achieve that.
First, u said Igbo classic literary works are not there - isn't that ignorance? After listing some of them, u said u don't know abt them - whose fault?
If u weren't exposed to Igbo lit, and Lang, don't think everybody is in your shoes.
U didnt even know that Achebes works translated in igbo are read in the prim sch.
Like I said, I don't know where u schooled but am yet to see who wasn't thought Igbo Lang well .

Secondly, u started asking me the Igbo translation of etymology . Are u that desperate to prove a point?
Do u know when I finished sec sch or did u hear Igbo lit was my course of study in the univ
its just like asking sb that claims to enjoy the products of technology the meaning of an atom;
or asking sb that claims he has read many classic works of English Literature the diff btw novels and novellette ( this is where I fall in )

Those technical aspects of Igbo lit are studied in the univ level .
But in the prim and sec sch, u are expected to read classic works of Igbo lit and get examined on that.
Let me start from this question, which works did u read for your waec( Igbo Lang), let's see whether they are classic or not.
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ketoprofen(m): 9:54am On Oct 20, 2013
@ ezeagu, I didn't even read the last parts of ur posts before, ur argument is even more pathetic than I thought.
Just look at what sb put up in the process of saying what he can't defend.
Mtchew
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ezeagu(m): 6:39pm On Oct 20, 2013
Look, you read Igbo literature in school yet you can't tell me what prose is in Igbo. Everyone with a decent education knows what an atom is, maybe not to a detailed level, but still. Everyone whose read English literature knows what the word prose means, or have at least heard of it. It's not as complicated and as technical as you may think.

You're trying to tell me a language which hasn't even sorted out it's basic orthography has a developed literary culture.
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ketoprofen(m): 10:32pm On Oct 20, 2013
Not everybody with a decent education can define an atom, more so, not all of them can remember the definition.

if I had asked my younger ones in sch the Igbo meaning of prose or if I had checked it up myself and pasted here, what exactly will be ur next point of argument?

If I couldn't tell u d meaning, does that mean prose doesn't exist in Igbo? Drama means egwuregwu, but does telling u that confer development on Igbo literature.

I expected u to read one of those novels and then criticize it here but no, u decided to keep on making blind argument and saying that Igbo Lang itself is not even well thought in schools.
Dis is what I mean by lack of interest in reading Igbo works on the part of Igbo ppl.
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ezeagu(m): 11:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
You will not convince me that not knowing what prose is in Igbo is just down to forgetfulness. You know the sad part? You probably couldn't tell me after asking around.

Everyone who has seen a science fiction film or action cartoon knows what an atom is.
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:22pm On Oct 20, 2013
The point remains that one cannot simply claim Igbo to have an established literary tradition just because there exist isolated incidents of independent authors writing novels. A literary tradition implies and involves things such as standardization, peer reviews, and critiques. That is the difference between simply having written works and actually having a literary tradition/culture.
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ketoprofen(m): 8:07am On Oct 21, 2013
and how do u know they don't have those tnz?
first, u believed they were non existent, now u imagine they don't have standardization, who said? Do u know about the Igbo literary society of Nigeria?

In fact, am not even going to educate u on that too, get those books I mentioned , read the preface and what led to their newer editions and tell me what u think.

stop arguing blindly.
Ppl like u and ezeagu are the threats to Igbo lit, cos u will not read them and u are not even interested .
Its even possible that Igbo lit is not developed, but it has long passed the stage u blindly want to place it . Till u mention sth realistic, u are talking on your own.
I wish I were saying this with sb in d system.
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:25pm On Oct 21, 2013
Do not make assumptions about people. The reason Ezeagu and I are even having this discussion is because we are in fact interested, not just in written Igbo, but in seeing the development of a true literary culture. It isn't enough to simply have independently written novels. That is not the definition of a literary culture.

You mentioned "Igbo Literacy Society of Nigeria". Can you share more about them? Has this group replaced the SPILC?
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ketoprofen(m): 7:00am On Oct 22, 2013
And am asking u how u know the novels esp the classic ones are written independently.U too don't make assumptions on Igbo lit.

Before, a book is recommended for waec for eg whether English or French, it must be well scrutinized by the relevant bodies. What makes u think they will allow substandard works for an ext exam.
Those that study it in the univ and post grad, is it compiled book of folklore they read?

The awards given to some of the writers, were they conferred on them by their village assemblies?
If u are really interested, read the ones I suggested and tell me what u think .
Re: Is Igbo A Relevant Language? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:10pm On Oct 22, 2013
So, are you not going to share information on the Igbo Literacy Society of Nigeria? I attempted to research them, but couldn't find anything online about the organization. I guess this means I will have to depend on you to inform me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba & Diasporan Black Traditions / Do I Look Nigerian? / The True Black Hawk Down Documentary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.