Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Do I Look Nigerian? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do I Look Nigerian? (6532 Views)

Which Tribe Or African Country Do I Look Like I Belong To? / What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 12, 2017
Hello everyone! I have had my DNA tested to see where I'm from but I will not have my results until next month. I wanted to know if any of you think I look Nigerian, and more specifically do I look Igbo? lol Thanks in advanced.

Oh forgot to mention, my ex boyfriend and my good friend said I look Igbo, I don't know but I will know next month lol.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by MtuMsuper: 5:26pm On Mar 12, 2017
are you African American dear? You look like alot of things.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by gustav25: 8:07pm On Mar 12, 2017
you are a shade of many things but you look a bit nigerian/ivorien

2 Likes

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Abagworo(m): 10:20pm On Mar 12, 2017
You look like Igbo and Igbos look like Congolese and other Bantus. So you look African but definitely not the darker Sudan Africans.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 12:24am On Mar 13, 2017
I would say you look Trinidadian.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 12:44am On Mar 13, 2017
MtuMsuper:
are you African American dear? You look like alot of things.

Yes I am African American, however I dropped American some time ago and just say I am African. Hopefully when I get my results back I can connect to my African relatives.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 12:45am On Mar 13, 2017
Abagworo:
You look like Igbo and Igbos look like Congolese and other Bantus. So you look African but definitely not the darker Sudan Africans.

Thank you, that makes me very happy! smiley
If I am not Igbo on my moms side, I think I will definitely be on my fathers side. He resembled Olu Jacobs and one other Nollywood actor, I just cant think of his name at the moment.
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Rosskii: 5:04am On Mar 13, 2017
You look Nigerian, despite your fake straightened hair.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by MtuMsuper: 7:20am On Mar 13, 2017
QueenAfrica36:

Yes I am African American, however I dropped American some time ago and just say I am African. Hopefully when I get my results back I can connect to my African relatives.
high cheek bones, slim build, I'd say you're over 6ft tall. You look like a Fulani. Fulaman198 would agree.
African is culture. And we all different from East to west to South to North.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by chijiblaze(m): 12:03pm On Mar 13, 2017
Well difficult.
You do look typically African, you can walk the streets in Lagos without being seen as different, but it's hard to place you. Some African Americans have thoroughly mixed heritage from various parts of Africa even European and native American peoples.
You'd need to wait for the DNA results.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by ChinonsoDike2: 6:48pm On Mar 13, 2017
QueenAfrica36:

Why would you want anything to do with such a cursed continent?!
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 12:36am On Mar 14, 2017
QueenAfrica36:
Hello everyone! I have had my DNA tested to see where I'm from but I will not have my results until next month. I wanted to know if any of you think I look Nigerian, and more specifically do I look Igbo? lol Thanks in advanced.

Oh forgot to mention, my ex boyfriend and my good friend said I look Igbo, I don't know but I will know next month lol.

You look like an Igbo-Fulani mix. I've seen some 100% Igbos who look just like you but at first glance I'd say you look like an Igbo-Fulani mix.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Ishilove: 12:58am On Mar 14, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You look like an Igbo-Fulani mix. I've seen some 100% Igbos who look just like you but at first glance I'd say you look like an Igbo-Fulani mix.
Igbo and Fulani in the same sentence?

Hiaaan! undecided
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 1:10am On Mar 14, 2017
Ishilove:

Igbo and Fulani in the same sentence?

Hiaaan! undecided

Aww ok I'm sorry cry. Over to you...what's your take?
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Ishilove: 1:12am On Mar 14, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Aww ok I'm sorry cry. Over to you...what's your take?
None. You're the bookworm here embarassed
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Ishilove: 1:13am On Mar 14, 2017
Bigfrancis21, she looks Edo

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 1:20am On Mar 14, 2017
Ishilove:

None. You're the bookworm here embarassed

Lmaao. I'm not even up to half of you. You write excellent stories and story books. cool
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Ishilove: 1:30am On Mar 14, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Lmaao. I'm not even up to half of you. You write excellent stories and story books. cool
Ta! You that constantly intimidate us with your plenty plenty big English and sound historical knowledge wink

2 Likes

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Probz(m): 3:06am On Mar 14, 2017
Hian. Igbo-Fulani kwa? Gini?

How many more of these 'Do I look Nigerian?' threads do we need?

You look like a typical Nigerian/West African to me. I'd say more Igbo than Yoruba but that's all I can tell.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:10am On Mar 14, 2017
Lol thank you, but I am 5'5 with a more full build. My dads people are all, dark and slim. My mom's side are more short, lighter and a little round (because of my great grandmother being half white I'm sure). My grandfather on my moms side however was average height, very dark, slim build.
He has no living male children and he died before I was born, so I cant test his lineage I don't believe, but I am most interested in Maternal and Paternal. If I am Nigerian I am going to attend a naming ceremony and change my name, which will be chosen by elders... Dream come true to me. smiley

MtuMsuper:

high cheek bones, slim build, I'd say you're over 6ft tall. You look like a Fulani. Fulaman198 would agree.
African is culture. And we all different from East to west to South to North.
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:12am On Mar 14, 2017
Rosskii:
You look Nigerian, despite your fake straightened hair.

Underneath my wig, my hair is natural and I wear it natural about 98% of the time. smiley
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:12am On Mar 14, 2017
grin I'm not sure how many posts there are, but all the same thanks for your input.

Probz:
Hian. Igbo-Fulani kwa? Gini?

How many more of these 'Do I look Nigerian?' threads do we need?

You look like a typical Nigerian/West African to me. I'd say more Igbo than Yoruba but that's all I can tell.
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Probz(m): 3:16am On Mar 14, 2017
You're not bad looking at all, by the way. You're what we call omalicha in Igbo. cool

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by ariesbull: 7:50am On Mar 14, 2017
She looks too igbotic

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 9:14am On Mar 14, 2017
QueenAfrica36:
Lol thank you, but I am 5'5 with a more full build. My dads people are all, dark and slim. My mom's side are more short, lighter and a little round (because of my great grandmother being half white I'm sure). My grandfather on my moms side however was average height, very dark, slim build.
He has no living male children and he died before I was born, so I cant test his lineage I don't believe, but I am most interested in Maternal and Paternal. If I am Nigerian I am going to attend a naming ceremony and change my name, which will be chosen by elders... Dream come true to me. smiley

Aww that's cool. I really wish your test comes out Nigerian Igbo. African Americans of Igbo ancestry have recently been taking on Igbo names and reclaiming their roots and history wrongfully taken from them. Below are some videos of Igbo naming ceremonies for our Igbo african american siblings. Even if it turns out you're not Igbo, you're still welcome to our family. Some good Igbo names would be Nkechi (God's own, Chi means God in Igbo and features a lot in Igbo names), Oluchi (God's work/creation), Chidimma (God is good), Adaora (daughter of the people, Ada means daughter and ora means the people), etc. Beautiful names I tell ya. smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE03wwZLVv0

Did you know that the third world's largest movie industry is the Nigerian movie industry, Nollywood, controlled and populated primarily by the Igbo tribe?

It's sad to hear that your maternal grandad is late and has no living male children. Does he have any brothers or related uncles (same father) alive? The Y-DNA is the same for any male directly related to him paternally.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by MtuMsuper: 5:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
QueenAfrica36:

Aframs have interesting ancestry. I suggest you go to the website http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/index.php and go to the section dealing with Human variation, DNA ancestry incl DNA companies . Visit the cultural anthropology section too, because your cultural self identification is also part of your identity.
Take bigfrancis advice about naming, but remember, your ancestors came from a wide coastal sweep from Senagambia to Angola/Namibia and 500 miles or more inland, not forgetting SE Africa. You can take any name from any tribe there.
Good luck with your search and would you like to share the results with us?

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by YonkijiSappo: 2:56am On Mar 15, 2017
Honestly, you look like Any African with some white ancestry, like you mentioned yourself.
I am guessing you are 75-83% African , and the rest being European/Other.

What I have learnt from these tests is that one shouldn't be too overly enthusiastic about any particular tribes or regions before taking them just because someone said something like "Oh you look like this and that" , as the results might turn out to be a shocker, and many testers experience some form of withdrawal symptoms after finding out their true ancestries, because they have invested too much emotionally in certain things.

For all we know, majority of your ancestors might be Ghanaian +Congolese and some Nigerian

2 Likes

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Igboid: 4:19pm On Mar 15, 2017
You could be Yoruba, Igbo, Igala, Ibibio, etc. Or even non Nigerian.

However, you resemble an Igbo girl I use to know.
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by lepasharon(f): 3:36am On Mar 16, 2017
OP ur an american ? undecided
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Ivoryred(f): 10:27pm On Mar 16, 2017
You look exactly like igbo girl,they have this beauty, people notice easily....(lighter and choco skin colour) You are beautiful..... West africa are the most beautiful people in africa (black race)

mind you! West africans are not that black.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Afonjas: 12:53am On Mar 17, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Aww that's cool. I really wish your test comes out Nigerian Igbo. African Americans of Igbo ancestry have recently been taking on Igbo names and reclaiming their roots and history wrongfully taken from them. Below are some videos of Igbo naming ceremonies for our Igbo african american siblings. Even if it turns out you're not Igbo, you're still welcome to our family. Some good Igbo names would be Nkechi (God's own, Chi means God in Igbo and features a lot in Igbo names), Oluchi (God's work/creation), Chidimma (God is good), Adaora (daughter of the people, Ada means daughter and ora means the people), etc. Beautiful names I tell ya. smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE03wwZLVv0

Did you know that the third world's largest movie industry is the Nigerian movie industry, Nollywood, controlled and populated primarily by the Igbo tribe?

It's sad to hear that your maternal grandad is late and has no living male children. Does he have any brothers or related uncles (same father) alive? The Y-DNA is the same for any male directly related to him paternally.

Second and not third,

Majority of African Americans are from Benin/Togo
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Michael752: 4:31am On Mar 17, 2017
You kinda look a bit ghanaian, but if you are a Nigerian descendant then you're most likely igbo. And ignore the guy who insulted you by saying you look fulani. smiley

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Igbo A Relevant Language? / Yoruba & Diasporan Black Traditions / The True Black Hawk Down Documentary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.