Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? (7283 Views)

My Conclusion On 1st Class 2.1 And 2.2 / When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? / Should HND Holders Go To Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by jaydude(f): 12:43am On Mar 15, 2010
well all of u dat r talkin now if u have companies,you will do the same, by d way d problem iin nigeria is not only d 2.1 or 2.2 problem, it is d problem of not wantin 2 employ fresh graduates, check out d vacancies on job sites how many companies request 4 graduates witout work experience, more over i have friends wit 2.2 dat r workin n sum wit 2.1 at home,
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by samir101ng(m): 2:01am On Mar 15, 2010
Whenever somebody tells me there is no job in nigeria i feel sad because it is not that the jobs are not there, its that it goes to a select few individuals with tight connections. Mind you, people with connections are not necessarily 3rd Class or 2:2 graduates. Its just that there are more deserving individuals with mouths to feed than somebody who can afford 3 square meals and a ride. Go to any of the top ministries or companies and you will see it happening. Getting a job now in Abuja must be accompanied by a note from a high ranking govt official. It sounds preposterous but sadly i have seen it a number of times. Some ministries do not even advertise for vacancies e.g Min of Foreign Affairs. The jobs are there plenty plenty but the elites want their children and grandchildren to continue ruling us. Few people get jobs on merit and usually its not a high profile job. God help us.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by AjanleKoko: 6:15pm On Mar 15, 2010
No o! shocked

I can't go to hell o. My Mommy asked me to come straight back from school wink
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by teejan: 7:26pm On Mar 24, 2010
i graduated with a 2.2 degree in chemical Engineering from Lautech and took up a Masters degree in Petroleum Engineering,mind you i was top of my Msc class at the university of Ibadan and competed favourably well with the so called 2.1s.In all believe in yourself ,today i work in a multinational oil firm.Big uppps grin
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Sagamite(m): 6:20am On Mar 27, 2010
If I was to hire someone, I would be testing:

1) Your knowledge of and interest in the work to be done

2) Your aptitude for lateral and perspicacious thinking

3) And your awareness of, ability in and willingness to continuously self-develop and adapting to change

This are the mark of intelligence to me and this is my own unique way of hiring.

The third would fail a vast majority of Nigerians as the mentality is f'ed. That is why almost everything they do is sub-standard hence the desire by firms for expatriates and repatriates as the pool of well-rounded locally trained individuals is very small.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Sagamite(m): 6:22am On Mar 27, 2010
It appears alot of people are coming around to the view that academics or its classifications is not necessarily the mark of intelligence, more an indicator of knowledge in a particular field.

We have seen the likes of Nchara on NL that has a PhD but yet one of the biggest morons one can come across. A PhD holder that spews rampart, non-logical and senseless tribal rubbish. A waste of human skin and brain.

Hopefully our certificate-packing Nigerian society would soon join in this higher and advanced thinking network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_the_United_States#De-emphasis_of_grades

A number of reputable liberal-arts colleges  in the U.S. either do not issue grades at all (such as Antioch College, Bennington College, The Evergreen State College, Prescott College, New College of Florida, and Hampshire College) or de-emphasize them (St. John's College, Reed College, Sarah Lawrence College, College of the Atlantic). In all cases, the rationale is that grades often do not provide a clear picture of academic aptitude or of potential for success, and that learning, not achieving the highest score, should be the goal of a liberal education. In many cases, narrative evaluations are used as an alternative measurement system.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article4289662.ece

[size=18pt]The 2:1 degree loses kudos as employers settle for 2:2s[/size]

The 2:1 degree is losing its shine as the gold standard for getting a job as employers increasingly value leadership and communication skills over academic achievement.

Companies are dropping their recruitment criteria from a 2:1 to a 2:2 to broaden the talent pool from which they recruit and to find graduates with skills specific to their own sector, according to the Association of Graduate Recruiters.

The association’s annual survey, published today, found that graduate recruitment was surviving the economic downturn, despite recent gloomy forecasts.

Vacancies for graduate-level positions were 11.7 per cent higher than in 2007. More than half of the 242 major graduate recruiters interviewed for the survey expected to report an increase in the number of vacancies in 2008.

However, the survey showed the smallest rise in graduate salaries in recent years. The median salary of graduates recruited by member of the association in 2008 was £24,500, only 1.8 per cent more than last year. The most common salary range was £22,001 to £24,000.

Most employers said they did not expect to offer anything more than a cost of living rise next year.

Carl Gilleard, chief executive of the association, which represents 800 graduate recruiters in the private and public sectors, said it was clear from the survey that 2:2 degrees were becoming increasingly acceptable. This year almost a third (32.9 per cent) accepted a 2:2 compared with 24.7 per cent last year. One employer said that it would stop asking for a 2:1; another has changed the specification to a 2:2 “to widen the talent pool”.

A third said that it would accept a 2:2 if the candidate could show relevant competencies and/or work experience. In the past, it had rejected candidates with a 2:2. A fourth said that life skills were as important as academic ones.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by AjanleKoko: 11:31am On Mar 27, 2010
^^
That's good news. Helps to create a more competitive world economy, if everybody has a shot.

BTW, who told you Nchara has a Phd? Have you had a look at that thread on qualifications? grin
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Sagamite(m): 1:36pm On Mar 27, 2010
^^^ Wetin they the thread? I no see.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Xanti: 1:56pm On Mar 27, 2010
Of course 2'2s shouldn't feel like they are lepers because of their grades.

However, I think that as a 2'2, you need to know that in the Nigerian market, you have more work to do in order to prove yourself to the prospective employer. The Nigerian labour market is very certificate-driven. The good news is that your University certificate is just 'one' of the many that you can have through your lifetime.

I suggest a strong focus on personal development and get supporting documentation to back up each new skill you've developed through training.

Cheers guys,
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by tpiah2: 2:25am On Aug 14, 2015
Okusanya:
what an intresting topic!!!!!!!!!!! I think what we all must realise is that we cant be at the same place, level at the same time. I have friend that hav 2.2 that are working with multinational companies. How did they get there? you would ask, well I cant say.

I think what each of us must strive at is personal improvement, either you have 2.1 or 2.2 you can also do some other programs (post graduate, professional etc) so as to be marketable the more.

Plse try to improve yourself so that when the oppurtunities roll in you can grab it.

hm
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by FunnyDude(m): 3:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
I hate schooling but loves education,that A4 paper called certificate is just a poo.Buhari go school?

Self education is the best Education

#FunnyDude#
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2015
BlueDiva:
Ok, firstly i didn't make a 2.1, came close though 3.37.
I only blame myself, i was kind of the groovy type.

I went for my MBA, did a couple of Cert and diploma courses.
Now, i can say i'm doing excellently well in my career.

I'm a HR person and meet these 1.1 and 2.1 candidates.
Some are really smart and some are really dull especially the girls.(Yet to meet a dull 1.1 candidate)
I've also met exceptionally brilliant 2.2 who should actually be 1.1 material.

Not all coys will ask for only 1.1 and 2.1.
If you made a 2.2 kindly improve on yourself to improve your chances.
HR emphasis is on the candidates abilities, the paper is just a yardstick for screening.
which coirse did you study? And what school

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here / How To Balance Work & Personal Time / Free Report On Cashew Nuts Trading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.