Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

14 Unusual Facts About Human Body - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 14 Unusual Facts About Human Body (768 Views)

10 Amazing Facts About Human Body / 40 Amazing Facts About The Human Body / Coca Cola. How Much Harm Can You Do The Human Body? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Unusual Facts About Human Body by scaler345: 11:46pm On Aug 28, 2013
1. Tongue Print
Don't stick out your tongue if you want to hide your identity.
Similar to fingerprints, everyone also has a unique tongue print!

2. Shedding
Your pet isn't the only one in the house with a shedding problem. Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour. That works out to about 0.68kg each year, so the average person will lose around 47kg of skin by age 70.

3. Bone Count
An adult has fewer bones than a baby. We start off life with 350 bones, but because bones fuse together during growth, we end up with only 206 as adults.

4. New Stomach
Did you know that you get a new stomach lining every three to four days? If you didn't, the strong acids your stomach uses to digest food would also digest your stomach.

5. Scent Remembering
Your nose is not as sensitive as dogs', but it can remember 50,000 different scents!

6. Long Intestines
The small intestine is about four times as long as the average adult is tall. If it weren't looped back and forth upon itself, its length of 18 to 23 feet wouldn't fit into the abdominal cavity, making things rather messy.

7. Bacteria
This will really make your skin crawl: Every square inch of skin on the human body has about 32 million bacteria on it, but fortunately, the vast majority of them are harmless. shocked

8. Source of Body Odour
Th­e source of smelly feet, like smelly armpits, is ­sweat. And people sweat buckets from their feet. A pair of feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce around half a litre of sweat a day.

9. Sneeze Speed
The air from a human sneeze can travel at speeds of 160 kilometers per hour or more -- another good reason to cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze -- or duck when you hear one coming your way.

10. Blood Distance
Blood has a long road to travel: Laid end to end, there are about 96,000km of blood vessels in the human body. And the hard-working heart pumps about 7,570 litres of blood through those vessels every day.

11. Saliva Quantity
You may not want to swim in your spit, but if you saved it all up, you could. In a lifetime, the average person produces about 24,000 litres of saliva -- enough to fill two swimming pools!

12. Nail Growth
If you're cli­pping your fingernails more often than your toenails, that's only natural. The nails that get the most exposure and are used most frequently grow the fastest. Fingernails grow fastest on the hand that you write with and on the longest fingers. On average, nails grow about one-tenth of an inch each month.

13. Head Weight
No wonder babies have such a hard time holding up their heads: The human head is one-quarter of our total length at birth but only one-eighth of our total length by the time we reach adulthood.

14. Need for Sleep
If you say that you're dying to get a good night's sleep, you could mean that literally. You can go without eating for weeks without succumbing, but eleven days is tops for going without sleep. After eleven days, you'll be asleep -- FOREVER!

http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/parts/16-unusual-facts-about-the-human-body.htm
Re: 14 Unusual Facts About Human Body by mazizitonene(m): 11:50pm On Aug 28, 2013
Hmm
Re: 14 Unusual Facts About Human Body by Nobody: 1:17am On Aug 29, 2013
Number 14 is wrong! I have spent exactly 14 days without sleep, but the 15th night, I had to check into hotel and spent 2 weeks without stepping out of the door to enable me sleep, it worked and I survived, would have done me in.
Re: 14 Unusual Facts About Human Body by scaler345: 12:03pm On Aug 29, 2013
Billyonaire: Number 14 is wrong! I have spent exactly 14 days without sleep, but the 15th night, I had to check into hotel and spent 2 weeks without stepping out of the door to enable me sleep, it worked and I survived, would have done me in.
Tell me something I don't know!

(1) (Reply)

Guide On Having A Perfect Pink Lips / Highly Feared Ebola Virus May Have Been Overhyped / Was Ebola Invented By The U.S To Control The African Population?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.