Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,939 members, 7,956,534 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:32 PM

What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? (6200 Views)

Check Out This Vehicle Plate Number!!! / Check Out This Weird Plate Number / New Plate Number And Driver's License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? by SMEpromote: 4:31pm On Aug 30, 2013
Hello all,

I've taking a day off from work to go get my vehicle plate number renewed next week. Kindly let me know the procedure for doing that and what I need to know i.e:

1) The cost of the new number plate

2) Must I submit the old plate number before I can get the new one?

3) Do I need to get new insurance, vehicle registration and road worthiness? If yes, how much would these cost? I renewed my insurance 3 months though.

4) Any other information that may be useful

Thank you all in anticipation of your feedback.
Re: What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2013
Yes you have to submit your old number plates. I came across this on the FRSC's facebook note page, it's dated 2011 so I don't know if the procedure is still valid. Still searching though

FIVE (5) QUICK STEPS TO ACQUIRING THE NEW NUMBER PLATE

October 31, 2011 at 9:26am
1. Applicant completes online registration (MVA01) form at www.nvisng.org, prints completed form and attach all relevant vehicle documents and proceeds to SBIR/MLA (State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority) office.
2. Pays for vehicle number plate at SBIR/MLA and is assigned a number plate.
3. Applicant takes his/her vehicle to VIO for physical inspection and is issued a Road worthiness certificate, if VIO is satisfied with the condition of the vehicle.
4. Applicant then goes to Road safety for the verification of documents provided. The verified document are:

Driver’s License
Insurance Policy Number
Means of Identification
Proof of Address (e.g. Utility Bill)

5. Applicant goes back to SBIR/MLA, where his/her Proof of Ownership Certificate (POC) number will be printed. Then the Proof of Ownership Certificate, his/her Vehicle Number Plate and Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT), is released to him.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/notes/federal-road-safety-corps-frsc-nigeria/five-5-quick-steps-to-acquiring-the-new-number-plate/10150353000264965
Re: What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 01, 2013
More,

We Do Not Determine The Prices Of Driver’s Licence And Number Plate’

Corps Marshal and chief executive of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Osita Chidoka, speaks on the controversy trailing the new number plate, driver’s licence and other issues.

What informed the decision to introduce the new plate number and at such high cost?

The introduction of the computerised licencing system by the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in 1990, under the National Uniform Licensing Scheme (NULS), was in response to the challenges of the growing motorisation in Nigeria and the need for credible database on the vehicles and the drivers to resolve some of the safety and security challenges it posed to the country.

But as the programme progressed, there arose some challenges, including inadequate investment to constantly update and upgrade the system, in line with developments in Information and Communication Technology (ICT).

Consequently, some syndicates took advantage of this by undermining the scheme through parallel production of the licences, using the same technological platform, . . . . bla, bla, bla

Many are already complaining, just like when the new drivers licence was introduced, that touts have hijacked the processes of getting the new plate number, demanding up to N100, 000 for it. What are you doing or have done to curb such scandal in the implementation of the project?

Let me repeat, for the sake of emphasis, that FRSC does not sell the number plates and the drivers’ licence to members of the public. It only prints the documents to the state governments, based on the information they supplied.

Such licences are returned to them under the tripartite arrangement, which they make available to the public, not the FRSC. And as I earlier stated, the Joint Tax Board determines the prices.

The cost of the new number plates, compared to its increased size, enhanced security and other features, cannot be said to be a burden on vehicle owners.

For the avoidance of doubt, the approved prices for vehicle number plates are N15, 000 for new vehicle registration and N10, 000 for old vehicle exchanging for new one, excluding other administrative charges.

States’ Board of Internal Revenue, as I earlier stated, is responsible for the sale of the products to the public, and not the touts.

Many believe the new plate number scheme is a means of exploiting Nigerians, especially in the face of harsh economic conditions in the country?

. . . . bla, bla, bla

What then is the justification for it?

It is not all Nigerians that own vehicles, thus the policy cannot be for all Nigerians, including non-vehicle owners, as some people insinuate.

Let me even state that those who own vehicles and would be directly affected by the policy through acquisition of the drivers’ licences and number plates are less than seven per cent of the national populations.

The cost of driver’s licence, as you might have seen on the advertisements, is N6, 000 for drivers and N3, 000 for motorcycle riders.

The cost of the number plate, as has been stressed, remains N15, 000 for new and N10, 000 for replacement.

In addition to all the advantages of the new system, as enumerated above, is the ‘one-stop-shop’ meant to address the administrative inconveniences caused to those who had to move from one location to the other whenever they wanted any of the products.

Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68024:we-do-not-determine-the-prices-of-drivers-licence-and-number-plate&catid=73:policy-a-politics&Itemid=607

N/B: I reduced the bulk of the article to lay emphasis on the approved price
Re: What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 01, 2013
Steps for Registering a Vehicle and Obtaining a Number Plate

Vehicle registration is done at the Motor Licensing Office, while the number plate is obtained at the Head Office.

REGISTRATION OF VEHICLE
The amount needed for the registration of a vehicle is determined by the purchase price of the vehicle.

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION OF A NEW VEHICLE
1. The car invoice.
2. Purchase receipt.

DOCUMENTS FOR REGISTRATION OF A SECOND HAND VEHICLE
1. Certificate of entry.
2. Bill of laden.
3. Schedule of payment.
4. Custom duty certificate.
5. Change of ownership certificate.

***For a commercial vehicle, Hackney Permit is also required.

Upon successful registration, obtain a General Motor Receipt (GMR) from the Motor Licensing Office.

STEPS FOR OBTAINING THE NUMBER PLATE

A) OBTAIN ITEM NUMBER
Visit the website www.nvisng.org. Fill the Personal data form and obtain item number.

B) PAY FOR NUMBER PLATE
Pay the applicable fees at any of the Rivers State Revenue Collecting Banks as follows and obtain e-payment receipt.
S/NO CATEGORY AMOUNT (=N=)
1 MOTOR CYCLE – NEW 2,500.00
2 MOTOR CYCLE – RE-VALIDATION 2,000.00
3 STANDARD – NEW 12,500.00
4 STANDARD – RE-VALIDATION 10,000.00
5 ARTICULATED 20,000.00
6 OUT OF SERIES 40,000.00
7 FANCY 80,000.00
8 DEALER 30,000.00
9 ORDINARY-GOVERNMENT 5,000.00
10 FANCY-GOVERNMENT 20,000.00

C) GET PLATE NUMBER ALLOCATION
Proceed to Number Plate office for allocation of number plate.

D) OBTAIN ROAD WORTHINESS
Proceed to a Vehicle Inspection Officer (V.I.O) for Certificate of Road Worthiness/Vehicle inspection.

E) OBTAIN INSURANCE
Go to any Government approved Insurance Company and obtain third party or comprehensive insurance policy for the vehicle.

F) GET MOTOR VEHICLE LICENCE
Go to any Autoreg Center for Vehicle License registration. Fee paid is standard and based on the engine capacity of the Vehicle.

G) CONFIRM & VALIDATE ENTRIES
Go to Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) for confirmation and validation of entries on the Internet

H) OBTAIN PROOF OF OWNERSHIP CERTIFICATE & NUMBER PLATE
Go to Number Plates Office in BIR and obtain Proof of Ownership Certificate and collect Number Plate.

Source http://www.riversbirs.gov.ng/2012/07/28/steps-for-registering-a-vehicle-obtaining-a-number-plate/

1 Like

Re: What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? by Cyberknight: 7:30am On Sep 02, 2013
SMEpromote: Hello all,

I've taking a day off from work to go get my vehicle plate number renewed next week. Kindly let me know the procedure for doing that and what I need to know i.e:

1) The cost of the new number plate

2) Must I submit the old plate number before I can get the new one?

3) Do I need to get new insurance, vehicle registration and road worthiness? If yes, how much would these cost? I renewed my insurance 3 months though.

4) Any other information that may be useful

Thank you all in anticipation of your feedback.

Thank God for Naija. Say one thing, do another. Guy, the steps and stuff others have written below do not obtain anywhere. If you want to renew your papers, just photocopy the old ones (auto reg, insurance, certificate of ownership, etc, and your driver's licence), then take them all together with two passport-size photos to any licensing office and drop them there. You don't need to fill ANY form. The rules state that you have to submit the old plates when applying for the new ones, which may prevent you from using your car for anything from 3 days to 2 weeks, but its best you find a licensing office that will allow you to keep your old plates until the new ones are ready. It's 15 mins at the most, not the whole day. I paid 25k for mine (inclusive of egunje).
Re: What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? by DisGuy: 12:25pm On Sep 02, 2013
so how did it go?

please tell us if the steps on their website corresponde with your experience when you eventually get it done
Re: What Is The Procedure For Renewing Vehicle Plate Number? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 03, 2013
from frsc's official website, for the new vehicle plates

http://www.nvisng.org/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl / Automobile Electricity And Electronics Question And Answer Thread / Mercedes Benz Ml/gl Class W164 Ml350 Ml500 Gl320 Android 7.1 Car Dvd Player (4g)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.