Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply (519 Views)

Am On Tour To Understand Causes Of Nigeria’s Epileptic Power Supply: Fashola / Protest In Ghana Over Epileptic Power Supply,A Tip For Nigerians(Photos) / Chimamanda Adichie's NYTimes Article On Nigeria's Epileptic Power Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by homesteady(m): 8:52am On Aug 31, 2013
Kano is one of the states in the federation that is
groaning under epileptic power supply .
According to statistics made available by
manufacturers, the Ministry of Power was
supposed to supply Kano zone that comprises
Katsina, Jigawa , Kano and Niger Republic with
8 percent of the total power generation based on
distribution formula, but what was being handed
to the zone was just 3 percent.
The National Vice President of the Association,
North West zone, Alhaji Ali Safiyanu Madugu
told reporters in Kano that “discriminatory
sharing of power to the state has led to the
closure of 400 industries over the last 20 years
with its attendant social consequence.”
Alhaji Ali Safiyanu Madugu stated that “this
culture of discrimination has robbed Kano its
status as the hub of industrialists”, stressing
that “property owning class no longer consider
it worthy to invest here because of the rising
cost of energy”.
Ali Safiyanu Madugu stressed that “this flagrant
violation of power sharing policy to a city next to
Lagos in terms of industrial development tend to
expose a hidden agenda by those on the position
of power to weaken the economic base of the
commercial nerve centre of the north.”
He maintained that the likely implication of this
unpopular policy would breed social unrest
among army of unemployed youth, calling on
respective State governors in the zone to adopt a
common stand to resolve the energy crisis.
He also noted that Kano would have done great
if the 8 percent of the total allocation due to the
state was properly made as it was stipulated in
the power sharing policy, adding that the
Ministry of Power is yet to resolve the impasse
hovering around the distribution system as
applicable to other zones across the country.
The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria
therefore called on Kano State government to
expedite activities on 35megawatt Tiga/Challawa
Gorge dam hydro power as alternative and
checks to the current “discriminatory practices”.
From ordinary citizens of the state, there has
been a mass rejection of PHCN bills in the light
of power shortage. Most respondents queried
why they should pay for power that is non
existent.

Source - www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/kano-groaning-under-epileptic-power-supply/
Re: Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by slimfit1(m): 8:58am On Aug 31, 2013
This brainless hausa man, your people have been ruling for years they didn't think of making even one bolt to connect you or to make effort to generate power. Hausa people are so brainless you know. You want everything done for you. You have sun for at least 12 to 11 hours of the day can't you turn that into power ? What exactly are the not contributing to the centre ? You have lots of rivers that you can use to generate power for a small village at least. Lagos is struggling because of you people. You are comparing lagos to kano. Lagos actually generate her own power which she can't even use for her own people in the state. it has to be sent to the national grid. You are coming here to claim that you are being neglected think before you chat trash please.

If we all turn our roofs to solar panels, there would be enough power in Nigeria I can tell you that.
Re: Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by homesteady(m): 9:03am On Aug 31, 2013
Epileptic power supply is an understatement!!
It is dead power supply!
For the past one week, I have not seen PHCN light in my house! Ok let me not lie, they brought it on sunday, but it did not stay up to 1 hour!
The power situation in kano is bad!! Especially in my area - Naibawa, zaria road!
Re: Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by Gboliwe: 9:04am On Aug 31, 2013
They gave them 3% and they are complaining? I'm sure what Uyo has is 0.05%. You can stay 3 straight days without a flash of light. And, when it comes, it lasts for about 25 minutes and thats it till the next 3days
SMH
Re: Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by slimfit1(m): 9:16am On Aug 31, 2013
Gboliwe: They gave them 3% and they are complaining? I'm sure what Uyo has is 0.05%. You can stay 3 straight days without a flash of light. And, when it comes, it lasts for about 25 minutes and thats it till the next 3days
SMH

Ask them what is there own contribution to the national grid ?

You go to places we they only have sun for 3 hours still using solar energy and the once with 12 are still complaining. This hausa people are pulling us back far too much.
Re: Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by AbuMikey(m): 9:18am On Aug 31, 2013
slim fit :
This brainless hausa man, your people have been ruling for years they didn't think of making even one bolt to connect you or to make effort to generate power. Hausa people are so brainless you know. You want everything done for you. You have sun for at least 12 to 11 hours of the day can't you turn that into power ? What exactly are the not contributing to the centre ? You have lots of rivers that you can use to generate power for a small village at least. Lagos is struggling because of you people. You are comparing lagos to kano. Lagos actually generate her own power which she can't even use for her own people in the state. it has to be sent to the national grid. You are coming here to claim that you are being neglected think before you chat trash please.

If we all turn our roofs to solar panels, there would be enough power in Nigeria I can tell you that.
What is this one Saying undecided
Re: Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by homesteady(m): 9:20am On Aug 31, 2013
But our very close neighbour - kaduna, enjoys light as if PHCN headquarters is there!
Power supply is like 20 hours a day! In some areas, it is 24hours a day!
Re: Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by teskyg: 10:59am On Aug 31, 2013
400 Industries shut down and Kwankwaso focus is River crisis?

1 Like

Re: Kano Groaning Under Epileptic Power Supply by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 31, 2013
homesteady: Epileptic power supply is an understatement!!
It is dead power supply!
For the past one week, I have not seen PHCN light in my house! Ok let me not lie, they brought it on sunday, but it did not stay up to 1 hour!
The power situation in kano is bad!! Especially in my area - Naibawa, zaria road!
.....naibawa has never been fortunate when it comes to d issue of power......

(1) (Reply)

Nine Adamawa PDP Convention Delegates Perish In Auto Crash / 12 Year Old Commits Suicide In Yenogoa / Musiwa's Prediction In 2010, With Solutions; Is It Playing Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.