Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,777 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection (1439 Views)

Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor / Doctors, A Little Clarification On Blocked Fallopian Tubes / Once Upon A Time In Nigeria: Do You Remember This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 31, 2013
i observed with keen interest the recent industrial action by health workers union working with federal health institutions. simply put: they r demanding for EQUALITY. i followed many online debates abt this issue and concluded that we (medical doctors) r responsible for the current situation.
1 unity: it is only in medical profession that we hv over 5 different associations each representing the interest of a small group; NMA, NARD, MDCAN, NAGGMDP etc. i find it difficult to find such divisions in law profession for example
2 respect/disrespect: while i agree medical profession should hv ppl with highest level of displine i do not condone slavery. consultants insulting residents , houseofficers nd medical students infront of other health professionals in my view need revisiting.
3 is the results of primaries, part 1 nd part 2 of the 2 postgraduate medical colleges a true reflection of the candidates performance? i doubt it
4 do we really care about ourselves when we r too busy to knw how our salary is calculated, not conversant with civil.service.rule, not.familier with scheme of service? while others r busy lobbying in abuja we r in our consulting rooms either in public or private hospitals
Re: NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 31, 2013
ITS TRUE,BUT THR ARE ONLY FEW DRS ON NLand SIR.....D DAY A NURSE BCMS A CMD THEN DRS ARE DOOMEDI SWEAR..
Re: NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 31, 2013
dmalam: ITS TRUE,BUT THR ARE ONLY FEW DRS ON NLand SIR.....D DAY A NURSE BCMS A CMD THEN DRS ARE DOOMEDI SWEAR..
that scenario is becoming more and more likely. we need ppl who will chart a future for the profession in view of current happenings
Re: NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection by Nobody: 8:05pm On Sep 01, 2013
dmalam: ITS TRUE,BUT THR ARE ONLY FEW DRS ON NLand SIR.....D DAY A NURSE BCMS A CMD THEN DRS ARE DOOMEDI SWEAR..
why do u mention nurses becoming cmd? not only nurses would become cmd but also mls,pharmacists,morticians,cleaners etc. doctors have their glory. consultants think they can be abusing or enslaving health workers as they do to junior doctors. i have never seen senior pharmacists abusing intern pharm etc.
i also realize that medical elders have failed junior doctors thru their greediness,lack of foresight,immorality and selfish. to put it straight medical elders lack leadership skills. i learnt of a consultant chem path in lautech who sleep with girls and romance with female mls,nurses etc. now he wants to ensure a mls become head of chem path in university because he hates other 2 medical consultants in department.
it is a pity that while most developed countries are reverting medical leadership and physcian ceo of hospitals nigeria health workers want non-physcian ceo.
it is pity that doctors could not fight for creation of office of surgeon-general of federation and states.
my argument has been nurses or other hospital workers could become head of ministries of health or cmd but we need office of surgeon-generals.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 01, 2013
Laalamed:
why do u mention nurses becoming cmd? not only nurses would become cmd but also mls,pharmacists,morticians,cleaners etc. doctors have their glory. consultants think they can be abusing or enslaving health workers as they do to junior doctors. i have never seen senior pharmacists abusing intern pharm etc.
i also realize that medical elders have failed junior doctors thru their greediness,lack of foresight,immorality and selfish. to put it straight medical elders lack leadership skills. i learnt of a consultant chem path in lautech who sleep with girls and romance with female mls,nurses etc. now he wants to ensure a mls become head of chem path in university because he hates other 2 medical consultants in department.
it is a pity that while most developed countries are reverting medical leadership and physcian ceo of hospitals nigeria health workers want non-physcian ceo.
it is pity that doctors could not fight for creation of office of surgeon-general of federation and states.
my argument has been nurses or other hospital workers could become head of ministries of health or cmd but we need office of surgeon-generals.
welcome on board, we need change in the profession
Re: NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection by akpan123(m): 12:39pm On Sep 02, 2013
The medical profession in nigeria is not well regulated. unprofessional conduct by doctors , nurses and patient. doctors unprofessional relationship with patient and fellow staff. l visited Nigeria some time ago, and a pt text her doctor, l want to have some with you. and doctor said ok. l was shock , listening to staff talking about, who is sleeping with who,. The code of coduct has been thrown into the thrash, and its a pity. for the few Good Doctors and nurses. l look at the hospital, which is regarded as one of the popular hospital in ikeja, But l believe these has to
do with your morals and how you were brought up. if you don t have morals , no matter or which country , you relocate to, you will still be the same persons, Nigeria doctors and nurses who try to repeat what they do in Nigeria, when they get oversea , always find their self in jail. what is accepted in Nigerian is not accepted outside Nigeria. you sign a code of coduct to provide best medical service to pt, and also to be their advocate. and not to seduce or have intimate
relationship with them. you have to show respect and care to all patient. And you can not uphold any discipline , when you sleep with your junior staff and patient. and turn your hospital into an hotel. The healing process starts with th first contact between the medical personal and the pt, the pt should understand that , he or she is there for medical reason, and not to seduce the medical personal , so their conversation should be professional. not u are fine lady or guy , can l get your number, are u free next weekend , would like to have some with you, and also the medical personal should not relate his or her personal info to the pt, don t turn the hospital or use your position , soliciting for sex, in the usa or Britain. you will be sent to jail. the hospital should be clean, not overcrowded. well structured, good ventilation. The consultant are the worst culprit, very unproffesional in their conduct and service, don't want to list names of hospital . from the survey that was done. but not all hospital were bad. but most of them , especially the ones in ikeja. had a good conversation with most of them, and is nothing good. hope the code of coduct need to be revised, to protect the good names of the few good doctors and nurses and other medical staff.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 02, 2013
it is ego that would kill nigeria doctors especially the so called medical consultants. i am just waiting for a day when non-physcian will become cmd of one of federal hospitals. while i would like to become consultants but legacy of abuse and intimidation.must stop. in lautech there is a consultant who always report his resident doctors to non-physcians to score points. too bad. in developed countries allied health workers do not challeng doctors authority. doctors there respect themselves. nigeria doctors have lost their glory.
Re: NIGERIAN MEDICAL DOCTORS: A Time For Reflection by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 03, 2013
Laalamed: it is ego that would kill nigeria doctors especially the so called medical consultants. i am just waiting for a day when non-physcian will become cmd of one of federal hospitals. while i would like to become consultants but legacy of abuse and intimidation.must stop. in lautech there is a consultant who always report his resident doctors to non-physcians to score points. too bad. in developed countries allied health workers do not challeng doctors authority. doctors there respect themselves. nigeria doctors have lost their glory.
u can say that again

(1) (Reply)

Liver Management/ Hang Over Relieve / 10 Things You Never Knew About: Male Organ / Urgent Solution To Halitosis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.