Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? (21136 Views)

Child Visiting(omugwo):why My Mother-in-law Refuses To Come / Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. / Can I Perform My Omugwo Myself? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by confy35(f): 4:19pm On Sep 01, 2013
;DModerator, please I don't really know where I should put this topic, but all the same it is on nairaland. Please folks I want to know what OMUGWO is being called in English(that is a period where a woman just delivered of a baby and the mother or any1 she wants, comes around to look after after her and d baby for some period). Please guys let's see ur opinions, especially for those that knows their onion (English language) wella grin
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by confy35(f): 4:20pm On Sep 01, 2013
Front page please grin
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by frederal(m): 4:31pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nice question @ op
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by passionate88: 4:41pm On Sep 01, 2013
Omugwo?, hmmm. E hard o.

Ok, shey na that one wey d woman mama go cm stay wit d daughter when she born pikin, she go stay for like 2-3 months then when she want to go back to wherever it is she come from d in law Must buy her things, eg wrappers, bag, food stuffs, plus including cash. When d mama go back instead of her to tell ppl hw d pikin dey, na to dey look wether d in law buy everything complete.

The english name na "MIL expensive visitation".

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by shortgun(m): 4:50pm On Sep 01, 2013
There is no known English word for that cos its not an English tradition. The best anyone can do is try to translate it to English which I know is herculean task.

4 Likes

Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 01, 2013
It means nanny for 0-3months baby.

Anyone can do it...Ask osu ofia smiley.

But some ppl stay longer than that.

In English, it's called Nanny

2 Likes

Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by hynex79(m): 5:01pm On Sep 01, 2013
i think its 'child bearing'..
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by tellwisdom: 7:25pm On Sep 01, 2013
omugwo na fishing festival undecided
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Abbey2sam(m): 5:23am On Sep 02, 2013
Na yam festival
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Ngenge(m): 7:03am On Sep 02, 2013
Its called 'baby sitting'. Later,u go thank me 4 being correct. Ndewo nu

4 Likes

Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Connoisseur(m): 8:04am On Sep 02, 2013
Its simply omugwo. afterall every language has imported words.
we can add or remove a vowel or consonant to make it acceptable.
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by mygee33(m): 8:31am On Sep 02, 2013
Post Natal Caregiver

17 Likes

Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by confy35(f): 3:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
grin Ur own no gud o

passionate88: Omugwo?, hmmm. E hard o.

Ok, shey na that one wey d woman mama go cm stay wit d daughter when she born pikin, she go stay for like 2-3 months then when she want to go back to wherever it is she come from d in law Must buy her things, eg wrappers, bag, food stuffs, plus including cash. When d mama go back instead of her to tell ppl hw d pikin dey, na to dey look wether d in law buy everything complete.

Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by confy35(f): 3:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
mygee33: Post Natal Caregiver

U bi correct guy. I love that cheesy
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by confy35(f): 3:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
Ngenge: Its called 'baby sitting'. Later,u go thank me 4 being correct. Ndewo nu

Mmmmm, baby sitting its ok too. Its easy to remember than saying Herculen task undecided
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Youngzedd(m): 9:58pm On Jan 18, 2017
Any answer to this question?

Cc: Seun, lalasticlala
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Richy4(m): 10:10pm On Jan 18, 2017
Babysitting...
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by tobechi20(m): 11:30pm On Jan 18, 2017
it is a process where the child grand mum is offered employment without pay to nanyxit her grandson from delivery till when the family feels she has overcome her we'll come.
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jan 18, 2017
confy35:
;DModerator, please I don't really know where I should put this topic, but all the same it is on nairaland. Please folks I want to know what OMUGWO is being called in English(that is a period where a woman just delivered of a baby and the mother or any1 she wants, comes around to look after after her and d baby for some period). Please guys let's see ur opinions, especially for those that knows their onion (English language) wella grin
Its called "Maternity Leave"
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by oginga: 3:27am On Jan 19, 2017
If it is not 'babysitting' then it's granny nanny grin. Just my opinion

"Working parents turn to grannynannies" by Sarah Womack, Social Affairs Correspondent. Telegraph 03 Jul 2007... See attached link below
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1556325/Working-parents-turn-to-granny-nannies.html
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by sisisioge: 6:03am On Jan 19, 2017
Well, since oyinbo no dey do omugwu, there's no dictionaries word for it. I would say...baby minding.
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by jeff1607(m): 6:44am On Jan 19, 2017
Coman baf pikin
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by favouredi: 5:02pm On Jan 19, 2017
passionate88:
Omugwo?, hmmm. E hard o.

You are a clown oo...you cracked me up cheesy
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 19, 2017
I hate this omugwo thing.

and it makes no sense to look for an English word for it, cos there's non. It's an Igbo tradition.
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by MrCuteking(m): 11:14am On Nov 12, 2019
Still looking for the answer to this. But baby sitting sounds nice though
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Two47News: 1:47pm On Jan 29, 2021
Omugwo is postpartum care for a new mother. The article explains it very well.
The Igbo people practice it and it is usually the mother of the baby that comes for Omugwo, although other people can come too. As I said, the linked article explains it very well.
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by DoubleEngine007: 1:54am On Jan 31, 2021
Omugwo is Omugwo.. And this can be defined as ,when a grandma goes to take proper care of her grand child in the city..

Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Gabe427: 7:37pm On Jan 31, 2021
the white men who put their parents in homes when they turn old never practiced such culture so it would be fair to sat there's no English word for that.

the closest would be a baby sitter or a nanny and those are all paid help so it still doesn't suffice
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by FreezedIced: 7:48pm On Jan 31, 2021
passionate88:
Omugwo?, hmmm. E hard o.

This looks like a tradition in some tribes
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by egopersonified(f): 7:50pm On Jan 31, 2021
Post natal home care
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by ZacharyMarx: 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2021
When I first started using translators, I translated on the very first website. A translator has many languages for many, and I think this is a great advantage. Languages cannot even be listed from A to Z - there is definitely yours. It is also convenient to change languages among themselves, with one click between them.
Re: Please, What Do You Call Omugwo In English Language? by Jesslove(f): 8:24pm On Feb 15, 2021
Postpartum care

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Mothers Day: Share The Funniest Memory Of Your Mum / Are Women From Divorced Homes More Likely To Divorce? / What One Thing A Kid Born After 2000 Will Not Understand?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.