Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,119 members, 7,821,833 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

The Ifes And Modakekes!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ifes And Modakekes!! (6537 Views)

Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
Why is it that most Modakeke Indigene from Ife East L.G.A still find it hard to say in public that they are Modakekes?

Why is it that an average modakeke man still hate Ife with passion..

A friend of mine on 2 occasion met Modakeke girls and they both refuse getting along on d Ife - Modakeke ground...

A Modakeke guy once told me they can never forgive Ife...

Now, where are the Modakekes on NL , lets hear u speak your mind, we cant continue lyk this, for how long would the enemity continue? Are we waiting for the present old generation to wipe off den we start our own season two?
Am I mistaken or giving a fallacious conclusion based on just few ecounters have had?
At least I do believe there are sizeable number of both Modakekes and Ifes on NL.
Lets here u speak, lets know your school of thought as regards this issue..
Lets help each other reduce this enemity to the bearest minimum..
Lets be objective in our analysis.

Gracias!!

2 Likes

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by bloggernaija: 9:51pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nice try
GEJ's BOKO HARAM laptop squad
Nairaland division
Always trying to use fault lines to divide and rule.
Your cup is full.
Tell your principal to start packing his load from aso rock.
Your attempt to cause disaffection will not work

6 Likes

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Chubhie: 10:23pm On Sep 01, 2013
I once had a Modakeke friend and wanted to find out his own perception of reality between Ife/Modakeke hear him "The war has ended but Ife is still fighting them with pen" i can only deduce that Ife dominates them-Modakeke politically but Modakeke seems to have the numbers. The Ife/Modakeke debacle is one in which a seeker of truth must apply caution so as not to threaten a very fragile peace.

1 Like

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by ba7man(m): 11:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
@OP You better stick to what you know about and let sleeping dogs lie.

The Ife and Modakeke people have tasted the dividends of peace and are smarter now.

BTW, I think what's going on in PDP is a better topic to follow.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Afam4eva(m): 11:44pm On Sep 01, 2013
I find it strange that Modakeke is part of Ife East LGA. That doesn't add up.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Confusionist(m): 11:50pm On Sep 01, 2013
Afam4eva: I find it strange that Modakeke is part of Ife East LGA. That doesn't add up.
what doesn't add up? Modakekes 'were allowed' to settle there!
Abi so dem talk!

Wetin concern me sef?
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by baynix(m): 12:29am On Sep 02, 2013
Confusionist: what doesn't add up? Modakekes 'were allowed' to settle there!
Abi so dem talk!

Wetin concern me sef?

DAYUMMMMMMN!!! You Are Confused!! grin grin
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by teemlo: 2:30am On Sep 02, 2013
I
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 02, 2013
Hmm, U really think so? Let em speak...
@ Afam, wot LGA do u want dem 2 b?
[quote author=ba7man]@OP You better stick to what you know about and let sleeping dogs lie.

The Ife and Modakeke people have tasted the dividends of peace and are smarter now.

BTW, I think what's going on in PDP is a better topic to follow. [/quote
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 02, 2013
Afam4eva: I find it strange that Modakeke is part of Ife East LGA. That doesn't add up.
Modakeke is a town within ife hence they are surrounded by ife towns.

Modakeke's are originally from Oyo. They fled Oyo after the collapse of the Oyo empire to seek refuge in ife. A small area (similar to a large refugee camp) was mapped out for them within ife town. I dont know what happened in those days but Ooni Olubuse, chased them away, Ooni ademiluyi-Ajagun allowed them to return during his reign.

During the last war, they were chased away again and fled into forest and farms surrounding Ife. But the war ended and they were allowed to return. To give peace a chance, Ooni Sijuwade made their baale(community chief) a crown wearing king. But they won't be given a local government on their own which i believe was one of the reasons they went to war. Ife south, east and central are the only local governments in ife.

I have cousins from modakeke and we get along well although I am from ife central.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Afam4eva(m): 10:50am On Sep 02, 2013
saxywale:

Modakeke's are originally from Oyo. They fled Oyo after the collapse of the Oyo empire to seek refuge in ife. A small area (similar to a large refugee camp) was mapped out for them within ife town. I dont know what happened in those days but Ooni Olubuse, chased them away, Ooni ademiluyi-Ajagun allowed them to return during his reign.

During the last war, they were chased away again and fled into forest and farms surrounding Ife. But the war ended and they were allowed to return. To give peace a chance, Ooni Sijuwade made their baale(community chief) a crown wearing king. But they won't be given a local government on their own which i believe was one of the reasons they went to war. Ife south, east and central are the only local governments in ife.

I have cousins from Modakeke and we get along well although I am from ife central.
This makes sense. When i used to hear about the Ife/Modakeke fight. I probably thought the two people have their own domain but are fighting over who own the border not knowing that Modakeke are not original from where they presently are. That's why i was surprised the the LGA where Modakeke is located in called "Ife".
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 02, 2013
Wot an insight * Idea*
saxywale:

I have cousins from modakeke and we get along well although I am from ife central.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 4:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
saxywale:

Everything you wrote was correct up till the part where you stated that the Modakeke's ran into the surrounding bushes. I am conversant with the details of the war as my two uncles were part of the war itself while one of them died during the struggle. Each one of them fought on opposing sides, reason is that my mum is from Modakeke while my dad is from Ife. The uncle who died, was as a result of overconfidence in his jazz, he is immune to gun and cutlasses, he was killed gradually with razor blade, which was used to bring out his intestine and left in the forest to die.

Back to the war itself, one side relied on money (Ife - by virtue of Sijuwade being a very rich man, infact one of the richest in the country), while the other side (the modakekes) rely on jazz, mainly because their ancestors were warriors. They got to the present day modakeke due to an invitation by the Ooni of ife, what happened was that the old Ife was constantly being terrorised by the Ijeshas, to the point that they took over the Ife lands up till the palace. That is the reason why the name of the palace is Enu-Owa - which translates to the point where Owa stopped. Owa-Obokun is the name of the King of the Ijeshas.

These warriors were contract Mercenaries from the old Oyo empire, whom on getting there fought for the Ife people and chased the Ijeshas back to where they came from. After they finished their duties, they left for Oyo after which the Ijeshas returned and conqured Ife again. The Ife king called on the warriors again for help which they obliged, but this time around they were persuaded to stay to protect the Ife town.

The main cause for the war is similar to what the Igbos are going through in Lagos where the indigenes tell the dwellers to leave, to which the Modakeke's told them that they cannot leave because they no longer have anywhere to call home in the Oyo empire because of the fact that they have left for decades and cannot just pack up and go back. This response angered the Ife people and they started numerous midnight killings of Modakeke travelers. The Modakeke's retaliated and it kept on like that till it degenerated to a full fledged war.

The only time the Modakeke's left the town was in 1901 when the then Ooni Olubuse chased them away, which was because a sacrifice which was made of a day old baby was placed in middle of Modakeke. This to them was an abomination which led to the people leaving to set up towns like Ode-Omu, Jagun- Adado, Ikire, Gbongan and so on, that is why in the present day Gbogan, most of the household names have their duplicate Household names in Modakeke

The true event was that there was no victor nor vanquished during the war itself hence the intervention of Oyinlola and Obasanjo, the two of them called for a truce.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Tolexander: 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2013
Chubhie: I once had a Modakeke friend and wanted to find out his own perception of reality between Ife/Modakeke hear him "The war has ended but Ife is still fighting them with pen" i can only deduce that Ife dominates them-Modakeke politically but Modakeke seems to have the numbers. The Ife/Modakeke debacle is one in which a seeker of truth must apply caution so as not to threaten a very fragile peace.
chubhie!

It is hard to believe the numerical strenght of modakeke over ife.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 02, 2013
nawti:

Everything you wrote was correct up till the part where you stated that the Modakeke's ran into the surrounding bushes. I am conversant with the details of the war as my two uncles were part of the war itself while one of them died during the struggle. Each one of them fought on opposing sides, reason is that my mum is from Modakeke while my dad is from Ife. The uncle who died, was as a result of overconfidence in his jazz, he is immune to gun and cutlasses, he was killed gradually with razor blade, which was used to bring out his intestine and left in the forest to die.

[size=14pt]
I am conversant with the wars, we happened to have visited my grannies during one of my primary school vacations when one of the wars broke out and we got stuck and had to wait through till it subsided. Having come from one of the original families (One side from Obalufe - 2nd in command to OOni, and another part from in Obalesun/Olorisa - Obatala descendants), it just so happened that I have so many uncles who took part in the war - one was shot in the head but the bullet didn't penetrate but still feels pain on the spot that was hit when pressed.[/size]

Back to the war itself, one side relied on money (Ife - by virtue of Sijuwade being a very rich man, infact one of the richest in the country), while the other side (the modakekes) rely on jazz, mainly because their ancestors were warriors. They got to the present day modakeke due to an invitation by the Ooni of ife, what happened was that the old Ife was constantly being terrorised by the Ijeshas, to the point that they took over the Ife lands up till the palace. That is the reason why the name of the palace is Enu-Owa - which translates to the point where Owa stopped. Owa-Obokun is the name of the King of the Ijeshas.

[size=14pt]Ife relied on jazz as well as money not solely by virtue of Sijuwade being rich, there are so many 'underground' wealthy Ife indegenes who supported the 'war' while Modakekes relied on jazz, money and external support from Oyo*. The Modakekes were not invited as you've claimed, the bulk of Modakeke is/are of the Owu group who were displaced as a result of Owu war, so their migration to Ile-Ife is regarded as a 'return back home' since their progenitor was the first son of Oduduwa (Olowu Asukungbade)*. The Ooni of the period welcomed them back home, gave them a location to settle and most were employed as farmers on Ife farms.

The Ijeshas never for once terrorized Ile-Ife, 'Enu-Owa' which means where Owa's point (starting/stopping) simply denotes where Ijesha land starts given how Owa was given a large parcel of land - the reason Ijesha land extends to as far as Ekiti.

Please don't propagate false history, visit home and do research/read right books.[/size]

[s]These warriors were contract Mercenaries from the old Oyo empire, whom on getting there fought for the Ife people and chased the Ijeshas back to where they came from. After they finished their duties, they left for Oyo after which the Ijeshas returned and conqured Ife again. The Ife king called on the warriors again for help which they obliged, but this time around they were persuaded to stay to protect the Ife town.[/s]

The main cause for the war is similar to what the Igbos are going through in Lagos where the indigenes tell the dwellers to leave, to which the Modakeke's told them that they cannot leave because they no longer have anywhere to call home in the Oyo empire because of the fact that they have left for decades and cannot just pack up and go back. This response angered the Ife people and they started numerous midnight killings of Modakeke travelers. The Modakeke's retaliated and it kept on like that till it degenerated to a full fledged war.

[size=14pt]
This is right to an extent aside the crossed out part. The Modakeke people started encroaching as a result of the population boom, demanded for a beaded crown king and also a local government which Ife people saw as an insult. There can't be 2 kings in a single town/community. These demands which Ife people countered was met with hostility from Modakekes and got to a boiling point which erupted to war.[/size]

The only time the Modakeke's left the town was in 1901 when the then Ooni Olubuse chased them away, which was because a sacrifice which was made of a day old baby was placed in middle of Modakeke. This to them was an abomination which led to the people leaving to set up towns like Ode-Omu, Jagun- Adado, Ikire, Gbongan and so on, that is why in the present day Gbogan, most of the household names have their duplicate Household names in Modakeke

[size=14pt]LMAO! OOni Olubuse I led the war campaign against the Modakeke and was successful in routing them out of Ife (I've never heard of baby sacrifice my nigga). Plus Ikire was never part of Modakeke, Ikire came into existence as a result of migration of a family house in Ile-Ife. The family house is still in Ife today, the head is called Akire same as the King of Ikire village and their family deity/god Orisakire is still worshiped in Ife and Ikire respectively.
[/size]

The true event was that there was no victor nor vanquished during the war itself hence the intervention of Oyinlola and Obasanjo, the two of them called for a truce.

[size=14pt]Well, they were given a crown king and were also attached to Ife-East local government.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by UyiIredia(m): 6:26pm On Sep 02, 2013
Just reading and learning. That war between two communities within a tribe was sad to see. It was really bloody.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by drdams: 6:39pm On Sep 02, 2013
This jst one of dose few threads..
Its been very educative all along.
Plz keep the ball rolling.., d historians and objective analysts..
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Afam4eva(m): 8:05pm On Sep 02, 2013
nawti:

These warriors were contract Mercenaries from the old Oyo empire, whom on getting there fought for the Ife people and chased the Ijeshas back to where they came from. After they finished their duties, they left for Oyo after which the Ijeshas returned and conqured Ife again. The Ife king called on the warriors again for help which they obliged, but this time around they were persuaded to stay to protect the Ife town.

No knowledge is a waste.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by delpee(f): 11:41pm On Sep 02, 2013
I was told that Gen Diyas ADC or PA who is from modakeke armed the Modakekes during the war. I don't know if its true but I know the war was really bad cos I had cause to visit Ife at that time. OAU started the construction of a link road bypassing Ife/Modakeke to the teaching hospital to avoid lecturers, medical personnel and students getting caught in the crossfire.
I also learnt that Modakekes had paid rent (Ishakole) to the Ife people since they settled in Ife. Most of their farms were also taken on lease so they were regarded as tenants by the Ifes. There was peace during the reign of Oba Aderemi cos he had a wife from Modakeke.

More info from the indigenes please though I am happy there is peace there now.

1 Like

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by 99cent: 12:51am On Sep 03, 2013
nice thread.

saxywale:

delpee: Most of their farms were also taken on lease so they were regarded as tenants by the Ifes.

This is why assimilation is important. Imagine it's been over a century yet they still have that identity that separates them from the Ife people. Imagine living in a secluded area for decades and not assimilating into the bigger community. of course there will be conflict due to cultural differences. And they can't run back to Oyo because they don't belong there anymore. They've been away for too long.
They need to assimilate into their host community. It doesn't mean that their culture will be lost. It will be incorporated into the bigger ife culture that's all.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by peckhamboi: 2:24am On Sep 03, 2013
nawti:

Are you saying Ikire, Gbongan and co are Modakeke towns?
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 03, 2013
delpee: I was told that Gen Diyas ADC or PA who is from modakeke armed the Modakekes during the war. I don't know if its true but I know the war was really bad cos I had cause to visit Ife at that time. OAU started the construction of a link road bypassing Ife/Modakeke to the teaching hospital to avoid lecturers, medical personnel and students getting caught in the crossfire.
I also learnt that Modakekes had paid rent (Ishakole) to the Ife people since they settled in Ife. Most of their farms were also taken on lease so they were regarded as tenants by the Ifes. There was peace during the reign of Oba Aderemi cos he had a wife from Modakeke.

I have never heard of the diya's adc involvment but a lot of wealthy people(some I know well) from both sides were donating money to fuel the war. That's one of the reasons why it lasted that long. It was more like a fight to finish as both ife and modakekes also got support from the indigenes. It was pure madness because both ife and modakeke's intermarried a lot and had children.

delpee: I was told that Gen Diyas ADC or PA who is from modakeke armed the Modakekes during the war. I don't know if its true but I know the war was really bad cos I had cause to visit Ife at that time. OAU started the construction of a link road bypassing Ife/Modakeke to the teaching hospital to avoid lecturers, medical personnel and students getting caught in the crossfire.

I believe that's road 7.
Uyi Iredia: Just reading and learning. That war between two communities within a tribe was sad to see. It was really bloody.
It was bloody. cousins and siblings fighting each other. I had two aunties who fought in the war too. One fought for ife and the other fought for modakeke. Their dad was ife and mum modakeke. The one dat fought for modakeke was married to a modakeke man too so she felt she was closer to the modakeke's than ife.
The one that fought for ife was very popular during the war because she had the ability to turn local fowl eggs into a device similar to a grenade. So many ammunitions and black magic were used on both sides.

nawti:

Your contribution has been noted.

99cent: nice thread.

This is why assimilation is important. Imagine it's been over a century yet they still have that identity that separates them from the Ife people. Imagine living in a secluded area for decades and not assimilating into the bigger community. of course there will be conflict due to cultural differences. And they can't run back to Oyo because they don't belong there anymore. They've been away for too long.
They need to assimilate into their host community. It doesn't mean that their culture will be lost. It will be incorporated into the bigger ife culture that's all.
Integration is highly important.As crazy as it sounds, one of the most effective method used in determining who was ife and who was modakeke during the war was your accent. Most people caught in the melee were asked to pronounce a word, the way one pronounces that word gives the person away e.g bitterleaf (ewuro) is pronounced differently by a modakeke or ife.

olorisa:

[size=14pt]
I am conversant with the wars, we happened to have visited my grannies during one of my primary school vacations when one of the wars broke out and we got stuck and had to wait through till it subsided. Having come from one of the original families (One side from Obalufe - 2nd in command to OOni, and another part from in Obalesun/Olorisa - Obatala descendants), it just so happened that I have so many uncles who took part in the war - one was shot in the head but the bullet didn't penetrate but still feels pain on the spot that was hit when pressed.[/size]

[size=14pt]Ife relied on jazz as well as money not solely by virtue of Sijuwade being rich, there are so many 'underground' wealthy Ife indegenes who supported the 'war' while Modakekes relied on jazz, money and external support from Oyo*. The Modakekes were not invited as you've claimed, the bulk of Modakeke is/are of the Owu group who were displaced as a result of Owu war, so their migration to Ile-Ife is regarded as a 'return back home' since their progenitor was the first son of Oduduwa (Olowu Asukungbade)*. The Ooni of the period welcomed them back home, gave them a location to settle and most were employed as farmers on Ife farms.

The Ijeshas never for once terrorized Ile-Ife, 'Enu-Owa' which means where Owa's point (starting/stopping) simply denotes where Ijesha land starts given how Owa was given a large parcel of land - the reason Ijesha land extends to as far as Ekiti.

Please don't propagate false history, visit home and do research/read right books.[/size]

[size=14pt]
This is right to an extent aside the crossed out part. The Modakeke people started encroaching as a result of the population boom, demanded for a beaded crown king and also a local government which Ife people saw as an insult. There can't be 2 kings in a single town/community. These demands which Ife people countered was met with hostility from Modakekes and got to a boiling point which erupted to war.[/size]

[size=14pt]LMAO! OOni Olubuse I led the war campaign against the Modakeke and was successful in routing them out of Ife (I've never heard of baby sacrifice my nigga). Plus Ikire was never part of Modakeke, Ikire came into existence as a result of migration of a family house in Ile-Ife. The family house is still in Ife today, the head is called Akire same as the King of Ikire village and their family deity/god Orisakire is still worshiped in Ife and Ikire respectively.
[/size]

[size=14pt]Well, they were given a crown king and were also attached to Ife-East local government.[/size]
Brilliant!!! I have also never heard of ife or Ilesha going to war with each other

1 Like

Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 9:35am On Sep 03, 2013
The Oyos were by this time growing to be an important section in the community, having for their chief one Wingbolu a smelter of iron. The Ife nature and spirit of the times soon became evident. Notwithstanding the oath, a pretext was soon found for a civil war against their king, but he was too strong for them; he defeated and suppressed all the refractory chiefs among them.
After the civil fight the Owoni called Wingbolu and asked him why he and the Oyos were neutral at the time of the insurrection. He replied boldly " Had I been invited by your opponents, does your majesty think yoa would have proved victorious ? Or if you had invited us, would not your victory have been more
complete? " Thinking over these significant remarks the Owoni who had some strains of Oyo blood in him was resolved not on exterminating these Oyos as some others would have done but rather on emancipating them. He appointed them a settlement outside he walls of the city deputing one Adewgro to accompany Wingbolu to the site and mark out the settlement. On the Oyo chief himself he conferred the title of Ogunsuwa signifying One whom Ogun (the god of war) has blessed with a fortune. That has become the title of all the chief rulers of Modakeke to this day. By a royal proclamation all Oyos were to leave the city of Ife for the new settlement, and accordingly the settlement grew rapidly from new arrivals every day. The new settlement was named Modakeke, a term said to have been derived from the cry of a nest of storks on a large tree near the site. Modakeke was first built in a circular form as a single vast compound of about 2 miles in circumference ; the enclosed area was left covered with trees and high grass, each individual clearing out a small space in front of his dwelling. This was done for the sake of mutual protection as no one need to go out of the compound for sticks or thatch for roofing purposes. Modakeke was
in 1884 a town of between 50,000 and 60,000 inhabitants. By dwelling in a separate settlement it was not meant that they should hold themselves independent of the Ifes. They were still loyal to the Ow6ni. A sedition was again raised for the purpose of murdering the Owoni for emancipating the Oyos, but he receiving help from the new settlement crushed the rising completely, and all the ring- leaders were put to death among whom was the son of a rich lady called Olugboka. As Ab'ewe-ila could not be murdered by force of arms, the
Ifes finally succeeded in poisoning him and the first intimation the settlers had of the death of their benefactor was from the street song of the Ifes " They are deprived of their King, woe betide the Oyos." The late king was denied a royal funeral, and was buried like any common man and all his slaves were seized by the Ifes, but the Oyos amongst them went over in a body to the new settlement. Modakeke was soon besieged by the Ifes, but they were repulsed with a heavy loss in dead, wounded, and captives. The Modakekes captured about 12070 of them, but they had not the heart to enslave their former masters and benefactors and hence all were released. Thirty days after this defeat, one Ogunmakin an Ife chief receiving reinforcement from Oke Igbo, Modakeke was again attacked. The Ifes were again badly beaten and they were pursued right home, and the city of Ife taken by an assault. The victors now ventured to sell their Ife captives as slaves, but reserved of their women-folks for wives. The Ifes escaped to Isoya, Oke Igbo, and other Ife towns where they remained for many years till about the year 1854 when the Ibadans were engaged in the Ijebu Ere war. Chief Ogunmola of Ibadan sent messengers from the camp to negotiate terms of peace and bring the Ifes home, as it would never do to let the cradle of the race remain perpetually in desolation and the ancestral gods not worshipped. Kubusi was the then reigning Owoni who could no longer remain in exile, but promised that if allowed to return home the past would be obliterated ; no restitution of anything will be demanded of the Modakekes, not even of their wives who might have been appropriated. But no sooner did they return home than all the Ife women deserted their present husbands with all the children born to them and returned to Ile-Ife. Notwithstanding their present relations the Modakekes still acknowledged the supremacy of the Ifes and by mutual arrangement they had their representatives in the If e assembly. Thus they lived together harmoniously till the year 1878 when the whole of the Yoruba country was again embroiled in war, and the latent animosity broke out afresh in an open fight, and the Ifes were again worsted as we shall notice hereafter.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by mosalab(m): 9:45am On Sep 03, 2013
Thumbs up @nawti... Modakeke warriors were able to withstand ife due to external support deh gt 4rm other towns like ode-omu, gbongan nd Apomu... I know pples 4rm Apomu (my hometown) who were part of d war... Modakeke re born warrior nt farmer as sm of u re stipulating..
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 9:50am On Sep 03, 2013
The Revolt of the Ifes. —Although the Ife auxiliary army was with the Ibadans in the camp at Kiriji, yet it was known that the Ifes at home sympathized rather with the Ekitis than with their overlords and would long ago have attacked the Ibadans from the rear but for the presence of the Modakekes near them. There might be other reasons for their hostility against the Ibadans but the chief one alleged was the forcing on them of Ayikiti, the son of a tyrant, as their Owoni (or king) in 1877.
It will be remembered that the Are engaged the services of the Ifes and Modakekes in his raids on the Egba farms in 1877, and after the retreat from Osiele Ayikiti the Ife general requested as the greatest favour he could show him that he should place him on his father's throne in order to preserve his seed from utter destruction, which he was sure would happen in revenge for the great mischief his father had done during his reign. The Are demurred, being unwilling to force upon the Ifes a king not in consonance with their desire, but Ayikiti brought great pressure to bear, and the Arg felt bound not only to reward his services, but to secure at least the loyalty and friendship of one leading provincial king. But he very soon after turned against the Ibadans. Ayikiti however did not survive long but the Ifes all the same harboured a feeling of spite and resentment against the Ibadans on that account, and that they were seeking an opportunity to give effect to. The Modakekes at their doors rendered this impossible, they refused to join in any coalition against Ibadan and hence the Ife hostility was directed in the first instance to the Modakekes themselves ; they began kidnapping in their farms at first. Living in such contiguity to each other intermarriages of course were frequent and social intercourse unrestricted, but at this time several Modakekes who went to their relatives at lie Ife were heard of no more, some the Modakekes had to redeem back. A distinguished Ife chief, Akingbade by name, and the Agaju of Derin of Oke Igbo went and joined the Ijebu camp at Isgya to kidnap Yoruba caravans, and they made no exception of Modak§kes their neighbours. The Are hearing this sent over and again to conciliate them, and
urged on Derin rather to come over to He Ife and be crowned the Owoni and restore peace to at least that part of the country ; but Derin refused to comply unless the Ibadans would first cede to him the following towns which once may have belonged to Ifg but had ceased to be so for at least 50 years, viz., Ipetumodu, Odiiabon, Gbangan, Ikire, Apomu, and the villages in their vicinity. Otherwise (said he) he would not go until the close of the war which he thought could only end in one way, which would indubitably place these towns in his hands. To concihate the Ifes the Are sent one Toki to -mediate between the two parties, which done, they were to take a mutual oath of amity and to ratify the same with the blood of a sheep he took with him. But matters in the meantime had come to a crisis. The Ifes raided the Modakeke farms, caught and maltreated a woman by
cutting off her breasts, the Modakekes in turn resented the affront, they retaliated by raiding Ife farms, caught four persons and also sent to the camp at Kiriji to recall Oyebade their Balogun, for it was evident that war has now become inevitable. The Are did not hke the look of things. In permitting Oyebade to go home he sent also an influential Ife chief, charging each of them to go and quell the faction, put the ringleaders to death on either side and restore peace at home. These chiefs went by forced marches and took the precaution that the news of their coming should not precede them. They reached home together. Oyebade and Adepoju, his second in command, marched straight to the house of one Obalaiye, a known intriguer who was carrying on secret correspondence with the Ilorins and had obtained a horse from them, and stood before his gate. Hearing that the war chiefs were come, he came out to welcome them ; whilst these war chiefs lay prostrate to receive the greetings of this venerable man, a swordsman who had been
instructed walked round to his back and, ere he was aware, by one sweep of the sword his head fell off from his shoulders ! His house was immediately confiscated and levelled with the ground
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 9:56am On Sep 03, 2013
war chiefs saw this accomplished before they went to their own homes. But the Ifes not only did not punish but condoned the action of the ringleaders on their side, and were prepared to give battle the following morning. Oyebade nearly lost his life by trusting himself too far among the Ifes trying to explain that they were not sent home to fight but to punish the ringleaders and respect the oaths ; he was luckily pulled back in time. On account of the oath the first shot fired by the Ifes was by a man who climbed up a tree to do so ; the idea being that to break the oath standing on the earth on which the oath was taken would surely result in disaster. But notwithstanding this, when they joined battle the Ifes were defeated and driven away out of the city and many of them were taken captives. He Ife and Modakeke being practically one town with only a small stream separating the two, they had not to go outside their walls to fight, the battle took place at the Akogun market. It was practically a civil war. The Are and Ibadan chiefs hearing this ordered that the Ife captives be released, and Toki was sent again with a sheep and a cat to worship at the tomb of Orafiyan, and to bring both parties together again into a covenant ratifying the same with an oath on the blood of these victims. But ere this could be done the Ife young men had collected another force and made a determined attack on Modakeke. This was on the 1st December, 1882. Victory was again on the side of Modakeke, but the victory was dearly bought ; Oyebade their commander-in-chief was mortally wounded and he died a short time afterwards leaving the command of the army to Adepoju. While all this was going on at home the Ife war chiefs were in the Ibadan camp at Kiriji fighting against the Ekitiparapos but one night before daybreak they left the camp in a body with their wives and children and went over through the battlefield to the Ekitis. They were received with open arms and sent home to join their comrades to make efforts to destroy Modakeke. Modakeke now became the third seat of war. Reinforcements came to the Ifes from the Ijesas and Ij§bus. An Ijesa force under their war chief Ayimoro encamped on the north-east and the Ijebus under their Seriki Ogunsigun of Igbo crossed the Osun river and encamped in the south. The Ifes themselves were encamped in a village eastward of Modakeke. From these three points Modakeke was attacked at one and the same time. The fall of Modakeke would mean an attack in the rear for the Ibadans at Kiriji and consequently they were obliged to send as reinforcement the following chiefs on the 4th December, viz., Akintola, Sanusi, Bamgbegbin and Aturu. At this new development the Ekitis redoubled their energies to overwhelm the Ibadans in the camp the battle raged at Kiriji with unabated fury and many valuable lives were lost on both sides. Of the men of note on the Ibadan side were : Ali Laluwoye the Otun (from illness) Aderibigbe son of the late Bale Olugbode (from wounds previously received) Awo the son of the late Labosinde, the Baba Isale, Ogunrinde son of the late Agbakiu. Some of the reinforcement at Modakeke had to be recalled when the fighting at Kiriji was becoming too strong leaving Akintola alone and subsequently Sumonu Apamp'a was sent to join him. Thus stood the Ibadan lion at bay facing fiive fronts, with ammunition spent, yet flinching from none, at Ofa, at Kiriji, at Modakgke and against the Egbas as well as the Ijebus at home.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by hitman2911: 10:01am On Sep 03, 2013
[quote author=nawti][/quote]

@ nawti. Can you please provide link for this historical facts. I believe this is a write up of a foreigner telling by the spellings.
It seems there has been animosity from the word go between the two and modakeke has become too big for Ife to deal with
Going by this excerpt It seems Ife would have been destroyed but for the respect of her been a benefactor and the cradle of the yorubas

Let get more facts but I wish the animosity will stop forever because any little thing triggers it. Reminds of the perennial Ofa and. Erinle almost yearly wars.

Animosity of century long always due to farmland. Na wa oo
Thumb up Nawti. This is what nairaland should be, an educating forum not tribal e war ground
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 10:20am On Sep 03, 2013
hitman2911:

@ nawti. Can you please provide link for this historical facts. I believe this is a write up of a foreigner telling by the spellings.
It seems there has been animosity from the word go between the two and modakeke has become too big for Ife to deal with
Going by this excerpt It seems Ife would have been destroyed but for the respect of her been a benefactor and the cradle of the yorubas

Let get more facts but I wish the animosity will stop forever because any little thing triggers it. Reminds of the perennial Ofa and. Erinle almost yearly wars.

Animosity of century long always due to farmland. Na wa oo
Thumb up Nawti. This is what nairaland should be, an educating forum not tribal e war ground

Source: The history of the Yorubas : from the earliest times to the beginning of the British Protectorate
BY The REV. SAMUEL JOHNSON
Pastor of Oyo
EDITED BY DR. O. JOHNSON, Lagos

First published 1921 Reprinted 1937
Reprinted 1956
Reprinted 1957
Reprinted 1960
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 10:37am On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

The Modakeke's are not farmers, but warriors from the Oyo kingdom - read the excerpts I posted earlier wink

How would a king from another kingdom own land without conquering the residence and their king. The said land was up till the palace of the Ooni, hence the name Enu-owa. The palace was spared because it was regarded as the cradle of the yoruba race and should not be desicrated.

[size=14pt]

This part is correct

[size=14pt]LMAO! OOni Olubuse I led the war campaign against the Modakeke and was successful in routing them out of Ife (I've never heard of baby sacrifice my nigga).

I am from Ife and I know my people, we are royalties and would not normally fight wars except pushed, the Modakeke's on the other hand are warriors and fighters. The only way we can match them in combat on a normal day is by cunningness and not an all out war. These people fight for a living... the baby sacrifice was denied by my Ife uncle as well, but they both agreed on the issue of a letter from the British protectorate at Ibadan which was written in red ink, but was thought to be written with human blood, coupled with the sacrifice of the day old baby (although denied by my able Paternal Uncle)

Plus Ikire was never part of Modakeke, Ikire came into existence as a result of migration of a family house in Ile-Ife. The family house is still in Ife today, the head is called Akire same as the King of Ikire village and their family deity/god Orisakire is still worshiped in Ife and Ikire respectively.
[/size]

i admitedly made a mistake in my write up about them starting the towns in Ikire, but the other towns were started by fellow kinsmen from the old Oyo empire.
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 03, 2013
nawti: The Oyos were by this time growing to be an important section in the community, having for their chief one Wingbolu a smelter of iron. The Ife nature and spirit of the times soon became evident. Notwithstanding the oath, a pretext was soon found for a civil war against their king, but he was too strong for them; he defeated and suppressed all the refractory chiefs among them.
After the civil fight the Owoni called Wingbolu and asked him why he and the Oyos were neutral at the time of the insurrection. He replied boldly " Had I been invited by your opponents, does your majesty think yoa would have proved victorious ? Or if you had invited us, would not your victory have been more
complete? " Thinking over these significant remarks the Owoni who had some strains of Oyo blood in him was resolved not on exterminating these Oyos as some others would have done but rather on emancipating them. He appointed them a settlement outside he walls of the city deputing one Adewgro to accompany Wingbolu to the site and mark out the settlement. On the Oyo chief himself he conferred the title of Ogunsuwa signifying One whom Ogun (the god of war) has blessed with a fortune. That has become the title of all the chief rulers of Modakeke to this day. By a royal proclamation all Oyos were to leave the city of Ife for the new settlement, and accordingly the settlement grew rapidly from new arrivals every day. The new settlement was named Modakeke, a term said to have been derived from the cry of a nest of storks on a large tree near the site. Modakeke was first built in a circular form as a single vast compound of about 2 miles in circumference ; the enclosed area was left covered with trees and high grass, each individual clearing out a small space in front of his dwelling. This was done for the sake of mutual protection as no one need to go out of the compound for sticks or thatch for roofing purposes. Modakeke was
in 1884 a town of between 50,000 and 60,000 inhabitants. By dwelling in a separate settlement it was not meant that they should hold themselves independent of the Ifes. They were still loyal to the Ow6ni. A sedition was again raised for the purpose of murdering the Owoni for emancipating the Oyos, but he receiving help from the new settlement crushed the rising completely, and all the ring- leaders were put to death among whom was the son of a rich lady called Olugboka. As Ab'ewe-ila could not be murdered by force of arms, the
Ifes finally succeeded in poisoning him and the first intimation the settlers had of the death of their benefactor was from the street song of the Ifes " They are deprived of their King, woe betide the Oyos." The late king was denied a royal funeral, and was buried like any common man and all his slaves were seized by the Ifes, but the Oyos amongst them went over in a body to the new settlement. Modakeke was soon besieged by the Ifes, but they were repulsed with a heavy loss in dead, wounded, and captives. The Modakekes captured about 12070 of them, but they had not the heart to enslave their former masters and benefactors and hence all were released. Thirty days after this defeat, one Ogunmakin an Ife chief receiving reinforcement from Oke Igbo, Modakeke was again attacked. The Ifes were again badly beaten and they were pursued right home, and the city of Ife taken by an assault. The victors now ventured to sell their Ife captives as slaves, but reserved of their women-folks for wives. The Ifes escaped to Isoya, Oke Igbo, and other Ife towns where they remained for many years till about the year 1854 when the Ibadans were engaged in the Ijebu Ere war. Chief Ogunmola of Ibadan sent messengers from the camp to negotiate terms of peace and bring the Ifes home, as it would never do to let the cradle of the race remain perpetually in desolation and the ancestral gods not worshipped. [size=14pt]Kubusi[/size] was the then reigning Owoni who could no longer remain in exile, but promised that if allowed to return home the past would be obliterated ; no restitution of anything will be demanded of the Modakekes, not even of their wives who might have been appropriated. But no sooner did they return home than all the Ife women deserted their present husbands with all the children born to them and returned to Ile-Ife. Notwithstanding their present relations the Modakekes still acknowledged the supremacy of the Ifes and by mutual arrangement they had their representatives in the If e assembly. Thus they lived together harmoniously till the year 1878 when the whole of the Yoruba country was again embroiled in war, and the latent animosity broke out afresh in an open fight, and the Ifes were again worsted as we shall notice hereafter.

The Revolt of the Ifes. —Although the Ife auxiliary army was with the Ibadans in the camp at Kiriji, yet it was known that the Ifes at home sympathized rather with the Ekitis than with their overlords and would long ago have attacked the Ibadans from the rear but for the presence of the Modakekes near them. There might be other reasons for their hostility against the Ibadans but the chief one alleged was the forcing on them of [size=14pt]Ayikiti[/size] the son of a tyrant, as their Owoni (or king) in 1877.
It will be remembered that the Are engaged the services of the Ifes and Modakekes in his raids on the Egba farms in 1877, and after the retreat from Osiele Ayikiti the Ife general requested as the greatest favour he could show him that he should place him on his father's throne in order to preserve his seed from utter destruction, which he was sure would happen in revenge for the great mischief his father had done during his reign. The Are demurred, being unwilling to force upon the Ifes a king not in consonance with their desire, but Ayikiti brought great pressure to bear, and the Arg felt bound not only to reward his services, but to secure at least the loyalty and friendship of one leading provincial king. But he very soon after turned against the Ibadans. Ayikiti however did not survive long but the Ifes all the same harboured a feeling of spite and resentment against the Ibadans on that account, and that they were seeking an opportunity to give effect to. The Modakekes at their doors rendered this impossible, they refused to join in any coalition against Ibadan and hence the Ife hostility was directed in the first instance to the Modakekes themselves ; they began kidnapping in their farms at first. Living in such contiguity to each other intermarriages of course were frequent and social intercourse unrestricted, but at this time several Modakekes who went to their relatives at lie Ife were heard of no more, some the Modakekes had to redeem back. A distinguished Ife chief, Akingbade by name, and the Agaju of Derin of Oke Igbo went and joined the Ijebu camp at Isgya to kidnap Yoruba caravans, and they made no exception of Modak§kes their neighbours. The Are hearing this sent over and again to conciliate them, and
urged on Derin rather to come over to He Ife and be crowned the Owoni and restore peace to at least that part of the country ; but Derin refused to comply unless the Ibadans would first cede to him the following towns which once may have belonged to Ifg but had ceased to be so for at least 50 years, viz., Ipetumodu, Odiiabon, Gbangan, Ikire, Apomu, and the villages in their vicinity. Otherwise (said he) he would not go until the close of the war which he thought could only end in one way, which would indubitably place these towns in his hands. To concihate the Ifes the Are sent one Toki to -mediate between the two parties, which done, they were to take a mutual oath of amity and to ratify the same with the blood of a sheep he took with him. But matters in the meantime had come to a crisis. The Ifes raided the Modakeke farms, caught and maltreated a woman by
cutting off her bosoms, the Modakekes in turn resented the affront, they retaliated by raiding Ife farms, caught four persons and also sent to the camp at Kiriji to recall Oyebade their Balogun, for it was evident that war has now become inevitable. The Are did not hke the look of things. In permitting Oyebade to go home he sent also an influential Ife chief, charging each of them to go and quell the faction, put the ringleaders to death on either side and restore peace at home. These chiefs went by forced marches and took the precaution that the news of their coming should not precede them. They reached home together. Oyebade and Adepoju, his second in command, marched straight to the house of one Obalaiye, a known intriguer who was carrying on secret correspondence with the Ilorins and had obtained a horse from them, and stood before his gate. Hearing that the war chiefs were come, he came out to welcome them ; whilst these war chiefs lay prostrate to receive the greetings of this venerable man, a swordsman who had been
instructed walked round to his back and, ere he was aware, by one sweep of the sword his head fell off from his shoulders ! His house was immediately confiscated and levelled with the ground

war chiefs saw this accomplished before they went to their own homes. But the Ifes not only did not punish but condoned the action of the ringleaders on their side, and were prepared to give battle the following morning. Oyebade nearly lost his life by trusting himself too far among the Ifes trying to explain that they were not sent home to fight but to punish the ringleaders and respect the oaths ; he was luckily pulled back in time. On account of the oath the first shot fired by the Ifes was by a man who climbed up a tree to do so ; the idea being that to break the oath standing on the earth on which the oath was taken would surely result in disaster. But notwithstanding this, when they joined battle the Ifes were defeated and driven away out of the city and many of them were taken captives. He Ife and Modakeke being practically one town with only a small stream separating the two, they had not to go outside their walls to fight, the battle took place at the Akogun market. It was practically a civil war. The Are and Ibadan chiefs hearing this ordered that the Ife captives be released, and Toki was sent again with a sheep and a cat to worship at the tomb of Orafiyan, and to bring both parties together again into a covenant ratifying the same with an oath on the blood of these victims. But ere this could be done the Ife young men had collected another force and made a determined attack on Modakeke. This was on the 1st December, 1882. Victory was again on the side of Modakeke, but the victory was dearly bought ; Oyebade their commander-in-chief was mortally wounded and he died a short time afterwards leaving the command of the army to Adepoju. While all this was going on at home the Ife war chiefs were in the Ibadan camp at Kiriji fighting against the Ekitiparapos but one night before daybreak they left the camp in a body with their wives and children and went over through the battlefield to the Ekitis. They were received with open arms and sent home to join their comrades to make efforts to destroy Modakeke. Modakeke now became the third seat of war. Reinforcements came to the Ifes from the Ijesas and Ij§bus. An Ijesa force under their war chief Ayimoro encamped on the north-east and the Ijebus under their Seriki Ogunsigun of Igbo crossed the Osun river and encamped in the south. The Ifes themselves were encamped in a village eastward of Modakeke. From these three points Modakeke was attacked at one and the same time. The fall of Modakeke would mean an attack in the rear for the Ibadans at Kiriji and consequently they were obliged to send as reinforcement the following chiefs on the 4th December, viz., Akintola, Sanusi, Bamgbegbin and Aturu. At this new development the Ekitis redoubled their energies to overwhelm the Ibadans in the camp the battle raged at Kiriji with unabated fury and many valuable lives were lost on both sides. Of the men of note on the Ibadan side were : Ali Laluwoye the Otun (from illness) Aderibigbe son of the late Bale Olugbode (from wounds previously received) Awo the son of the late Labosinde, the Baba Isale, Ogunrinde son of the late Agbakiu. Some of the reinforcement at Modakeke had to be recalled when the fighting at Kiriji was becoming too strong leaving Akintola alone and subsequently Sumonu Apamp'a was sent to join him. Thus stood the Ibadan lion at bay facing fiive fronts, with ammunition spent, yet flinching from none, at Ofa, at Kiriji, at Modakgke and against the Egbas as well as the Ijebus at home.

This is a good and insightful read but you'll have to agree with me that the bolded names were at no time Oonis, hence the write up is still subjective. Goto: http://theooni.org/pastoonis.htm see if you can find the names or any almost similar names. cool
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 1:09pm On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

This is a good and insightful read but you'll have to agree with me that the bolded names were at no time Oonis, hence the write up is still subjective. Goto: http://theooni.org/pastoonis.htm see if you can find the names or any almost similar names. cool

its possible for him to have a second name, because while his name doesn't show up on the list of the past Oonis, there are several acccounts on his involvement with Ife politics with ibadan and the Ajeles(political residence/ head)

The Are was greatly disappointed, especially in his own slaves. He said he had thought that come what might he could always count upon a thousand at least to stand by him for weal or woe, but alas he was deserted. However, he comforted himself with this reflection : " There is no one who may not suffer a defeat, for even the prophet of God (Mahomet) suffered a defeat." After this all the interior war-chiefs returned to their homes but Ayikiti and the Ife war-chiefs. Several offices had to be filled amongthem. Also the office of the Owoni of Ife was vacant by the death of Ayikiti's father, and he was desirous of succeeding him. The Ifes,however,were for another prince and not Ayikiti, but he so pressed his claims that the Are had to give in, and so on the 8th April after titles had been arranged for all vacancies in the Ife chieftaincies, messengers from the Ibadan chiefs followed Ayikiti home to crown him the Owoni of Ife.

and another account of his involvement before being crowned Ooni, he was a war General

On the Balogun's recovery from his illness the Are proposed another expedition and was determined to make a longer stay in the Egba farms this time and thus draw them out to a fight. Hitherto the raids lasted only three days each time and only the Ibadan war-chiefs were concerned, but now he proposed inviting outside help as well. For that purpose he sent the Otun to clear the road leading to Arawo, that is a place midway between Ibadan and Abeokuta on the caravan route. He also invited the war- chiefs of Ife, Modakeke and other subject towns. He could not count upon the complete loyalty of the Ibadan war-chiefs because of their opposition to this enterprise, and because he knew how deeply he had offended most of them ; but he knew the courage and intrepidity of the Ifes and relied more on them. The expedition left Ibadan on the 24th of March, 1878 and encamped next day at Alakisa a few miles beyond Arawo. Having this for their base they ravaged the farms on the right as far as Iberekodo, and on the left as far as they could go. They lived on the spoils of the farm and destroyed the rest, setting the barns on fire. The Egbas however, did not show their faces, but contented themselves with bravely manning their walls against any attack. The Ife army arrived on the 28th and joined them in the field.
At the end of nine days the Are summoned a council and announced that as the Egbas did not take up the challenge and come out for a fight, they should take a roundabout course and capture Osiele before they returned home. He was opposed by the whole of the Ibadan war-chiefs without exception . They alleged
1. That they were already exhausted by this 9 days useless exposure.
2. That Osiele not being taken into account before they left home, they had not first consulted the gods nor offered propitiatory sacrifices as they usually did before attacking a town.
3. That to go to Osiele from where they were was too risky and inadvisable, because they would leave rear and base exposed to attack by the Egbas should they undertake to attack them by way of Atadi. If Osiele is to be taken why not go home first and make a direct attack from home by a route shorter and safer ? The Are replied " You had better go and reconsider what you intend to do, as for me, my mind is made up. I am decided, and if there remain only my slaves and Ayikiti the Ife General and the Modakeke people with me, I shall take Osiele."
Re: The Ifes And Modakekes!! by nawti(m): 1:13pm On Sep 03, 2013
olorisa:

on the link, Abewela's name was mis-spelled as well

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Buhari, Atiku Performed In 32 States [results] / This Hospital In Abia State Will Amaze You! - Photos / 22 Igbo Tribes In Niger Delta Full List - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 225
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.